Macross Homages

Its been 20 years since Macross hit the waves so I'm pretty sure it's present in the minds of most otakus. So I was thinking about afore mentioned people making homages to Macross in their own productions. The ones I am aware of are: Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, Project A-Ko and Otaku no Video.

Are there any others?

Gall Force is pretty much takes a run with the whole gender war conflict. And Megazone 23's EVE is a not to subtle nod. Though it'd be pretty tough to nail down too many shows with specific inspirations, especially when Macross itself ha a lot of concepts from Yamato & Gundam in it.

And who could forget Topless Misa popping up ona screen in Orguss. As well as Minmay & some of the bridge bunnies being listed as some of Kei's exploits :)

There was also a crate marked VF-1 somewhere.

Urusei Yatsura was riddled with anime references in general, and had quite a few Macross references (at least after October 1982, that is) in some episodes. A couple that I can name off the top of my head:

In one episode (I posted the pic on this one a while back, but don't remember what I did with it), the entire gang is transported into a fantasy world by one of Lum's alien consumer divices to have a New Year's party. Everyone gets dressed as a different historical or fictional character (for instance, Mendou is Sherlock Holmes with Ataru playing Heiji Zenigata as his partner). Onsen-Mark (the poor teacher at Tomobiki High) is Urushima Taro, and naturally, he gets taken down to the Dragon Palace (as in the fairy tale) for a bit. There, he's wined and dined by a group of mermaids, of which five strongly resemble Misa, Kim (with a slight hairstyle change), Shammy (with a different hair color), Vanessa (also with a slight change in her hairstyle but with her telltale glasses) and Minmay.

The other episode is the episode where Lum, Benten, Oyuki and Ran's old teacher, CAO-2, comes to wreak his revenge on the foursome for stranding him on a deserted planet as a prank. During the episode, there's a lengthy flashback section showing what Lum et. al. pulled on the teacher during their time at the Intergalactic Elementary School. There are at least five times that Valkyries appear in the episode that I counted. The two that I remember clearly are the use of a Valk Battroid as a game piece in a board game that Lum and Benten were playing in the classroom, and a fighter Valk that is parked in the school's hangar bay as Lum and the other girls make their escape from CAO-2 after firing a missile at him.

Edit in: Here's the picture that I made -- wow, was it already almost 2 years ago? :blink: -- of the scene with Onsen Mark...

post-190-1154023367_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pat Payne

You guys better get this undeniable reference to a very particular individual in Macross, from an episode of Keroro Gunsou. 

Allmemberspreparetosubmerge.jpg

420843[/snapback]

On the other hand, that could be either Global or Captain Okita from Yamato.

Besides the Fire! Bomber! quotes in Haruhi Suzumia, which I'm sure just about everyone knows of by now, An otherwise unimpressive series, Rizelmine, gives an ever so subtle nod to Macross.

post-1503-1154250667_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phren

Orguss, not surprisingly, has some Macross references (and vice versa, as we know). Around episode 2, super pimp mecha pilot Kei is thinking about his past flings, and one of them is Minmay (with accompanying picture).

421374[/snapback]

Deja vu...

Starcraft has some Macross homages by way of Robotech.

420987[/snapback]

Really?

Which ones?

421648[/snapback]

I can't think of any off the top of my head. The only thing I can think of is the big battle cruiser with its "main gun" special attack.

Those bipedal mechs remind me of ed209 from robocop though...

420987[/snapback]

Really?

Which ones?

421648[/snapback]

Well, for one the cpatain of the Battlecruisers is a dead ringer for Cap. Global.

421689[/snapback]

Down to his russian (I think it was supposed to be russian) accent from Robotech.

There was also a fighter called the Valkyrie but it didn't transform.

420987[/snapback]

The old DOS shooter Tyrian had one too.

One of the "secret ships" had a special weapon called the "SDF Main Gun."

It was, predictably, an obscenely powerful beam(I think it was the strongest weapon in the game, actually).