My Hasegawa Angel Birds

Myersjessee

Well...it took me forever...but its finally done. Im going to write a quick review of the kit, and Ill post the link here.....in general its a nice kit, and I think it came out fairly well. There are a couple spots Im not pleased with, and a couple of things I would do differently now that I can see one built...but in general Im pleased. I used a lot of the tips WMCheng has shown us all...and I wanted to take a moment to say a very public thank you to WM...thanks!!! Also...thanks to everyone who has taken the time to share techniques...this model has a llittle bit of everyone's ideas in it.

Now...heres a simple above shot of the model...note...I did not have great light...but I finally got my camera fixed so I wanted to get some pictures in...maybe I can get some in the sun later on.

Abirds1.jpg

A little bit about me....This is the second model I have done recently...the first was done about 3 months ago...and was my first in about 16 years.....so...based on that...I think Im doing pretty well...but I have a long way to go and a lot of other ideas to try on my next one.

From the front

Abirds3.jpg

I spent a lot of time trying to get the engines to look right....hard to see...but I did a titanium base...and then tried to airbrush weather it with some burnt iron colors...and then etched it all a little bit to bring out the lines....it looks pretty good....but WMChengs Yukikaze Mave has me inspired for my next one..love the cockpit detail!

Abirds4.jpg

Edited by Myersjessee

Nice work Jesse...i have been waiting to see this for a while.

But i think ts a bit too dirty for a demo bird. Unless they are really short on valks.

Thanks Isamu!

no doubt it is way to dirty for a show plan...absolutley correct...forgot to mention that point....as my first model in a long time I wanted to try a lot of the weathering ideas I had seen. Making a clean smooth valkyrie would have been correct...but not as fun for me and what I wanted to get out of it...so I decided to make this one dirtier. Perhaps my explanation is it is right after a marathon set of shows in a very dirty location! :) But..yes...to dirty to be accurate...but fun for what I wanted to try. I think if I could do it again I would have started with a VF1J or 1S...but I pulled this one out...and decided I would use a little artistic license here and there....wheel wells shouldn't be olive drab either...but I liked the contrast...reminded me of my old favorite WW2 warbirds. couple other problems with the colors where I took some license. too.

Nice Jessee; :) I am planning on starting that one after the 2 projects I currently have.

Next thing for me is to place it along Hikaru's Fan jet on a flying diorama pose like in first chapter.

Sorry I'm late for the party :unsure:

Hey Jesse That is an excellent job! You really out-did yourself with this one! Excellent work.

Now if you will just start up a modelling school so those of us who can't make models worth a (you know what)...

Please... :unsure:

Pretty please.... ;)

Rob MN

Vitja...I was thinking the same thing!!! ;)

Grayson, thanks...I may...after looking at the pictures there are a couple things I noticed I want to fix....(one is I forgot to scrape the liquid mask off the wingtip lights, which is why they look so dull...another is clean up a couple edges on the decals...amazing how close up pictures make clear what I dont see looking at the model! )

Thanks Gunner and Malich!

Kam - Ill check...its a light brown and grey...I believe the grey was the color suggested for the seat metal, and the brown is a sandstone...dont remember if I used their color scheme or made that choice.

Thanks Rob....always happy to help...glad you like it...I wish I had more to teach..but I have so much to learn....trying to decide what to do next...think I have a resin kit or two I want to get to! (waiting on a buddy in Japan to supply one of them! (but no rush...I can be patient! ) ;):D

Gerwalker...yep - :) I used to do a lot of WW2 fighters and always did that with the wheel wells...I know the Angel birds isn't like that, and looking at modern day jets (thunder birds) their wheel wells appear to be white...but the whole thing is so darn white I wanted to add some more color and liked the look....glad I didn't get wrecked for going off on my own! :)

....glad I didn't get wrecked for going off on my own! :)

That's one of the things I like from sci-fi modeling: you don't have to kill yourself if you take an artistic license here and there. If you are pleased with a color or a paint scheme you have the freedom to do it. I used to model aircraft fighters and if I didn't have the proper RLM color or the right reference for a particular plane I knew that someone would finally pointed out and I would be accused of blasfemy... I just remember that guy from a hobby shop (an IPMS master) that refused to sell me certain model master colors because I would used them to paint a Bf-109G10 and HE knew for sure that that color was not right. We called him Nobody...'cause nobody is perfect!!! :lol:

Wow! Great work Myerjessee!! :D:D:D

Excellent work on the decals - all those large pieces can be tricky - but it seems as though you pulled it off, it looks great. You'd have no problems with the YF-21 yellow stripes :p

Can't believe this is your second model - it looks great - can't wait to see more.

Keep it up! :lol: I sense a modelling renaissance comming on... this is fantastic.

p.s. I really love the green for the wheel wells and airbrakes - it adds an air of authenticity.

Edited by wm cheng

Thanks very much WM! The decals were a bear (check my review...I gripe more about them! ) Its not really my second model....I built a ton of WW2 stuff between the ages of 6 and 13....but nothing really serious. Thats why your step by steps were so critical...I knew the basics...but I needed to see what extra materials I needed. I walked into a modeling store when i got started...I was asking about airbrushing....the owner asked me:

"What kind of glue do you use?"

I said:

"I dont know....Testors..."

He laughed in my face and said airbrushing was too much for me...not to try washes, detailing or anything...just build it and maybe when i got better I could try things.....can you believe that? I'm 32 years old and I got some old fool who doesnt want to sell me stuff and treats me like a 6 year old....well...my point...reading your step by steps gave me the tricks and supplies I needed....I went...bought what I needed....experimented on some cheap old kits I had...and Im off and running....I think my next one will be even better...as I learned a lot from my mistakes....but a serious big thanks to you...the difference from masking, spray painting, and building...but not understanding putty's, panel etching and washes, decal sols, and all your other tips....well thats the difference in my model. Kudos to you...and Kudos to all at Macross world who have shared their ideas, tips, and knowledge with me.

WMcheng, 007VF1, MSLZ22, Valkyrie, Kidkorrupt, Jung, Kam Monkey nugget (lighting master! )...and Im sure many others who I am forgetting..thanks...and please keep it up...I want to see more stuff.

I walked into a modeling store when i got started...I was asking about airbrushing....the owner asked me:

I said:

He laughed in my face and said airbrushing was too much for me...not to try washes, detailing or anything...just build it and maybe when i got better I could try things.....can you believe that? I'm 32 years old and I got some old fool who doesnt want to sell me stuff and treats me like a 6 year old....

Seems like hobby shop owners behave the same everywhere (comic shop owners are worst) :D They are like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi: No soup for you!! In my case Mr. Nobody ask me what kind of model I intend to paint with the colors I asked for, then he refused to sell them because they were inaccurate. The same guy is also famous for recommending resin parts and photoecht parts to a 10 years old for improving the 1/72 spitfire (first kit ever) he was buying...

Hobby Nazi:- Testors glue? No airbrush for you! NEXT!!!

Thanks very much WM! The decals were a bear (check my review...I gripe more about them! ) Its not really my second model....I built a ton of WW2 stuff between the ages of 6 and 13....but nothing really serious. Thats why your step by steps were so critical...I knew the basics...but I needed to see what extra materials I needed. I walked into a modeling store when i got started...I was asking about airbrushing....the owner asked me:

I said:

He laughed in my face and said airbrushing was too much for me...not to try washes, detailing or anything...just build it and maybe when i got better I could try things.....can you believe that? I'm 32 years old and I got some old fool who doesnt want to sell me stuff and treats me like a 6 year old....well...my point...reading your step by steps gave me the tricks and supplies I needed....I went...bought what I needed....experimented on some cheap old kits I had...and Im off and running....I think my next one will be even better...as I learned a lot from my mistakes....but a serious big thanks to you...the difference from masking, spray painting, and building...but not understanding putty's, panel etching and washes, decal sols, and all your other tips....well thats the difference in my model. Kudos to you...and Kudos to all at Macross world who have shared their ideas, tips, and knowledge with me.

WMcheng, 007VF1, MSLZ22, Valkyrie, Kidkorrupt, Jung, Kam Monkey nugget (lighting master! )...and Im sure many others who I am forgetting..thanks...and please keep it up...I want to see more stuff.

Excelent work,

Now go back to that hobby store and kick his...............after you show him the model. Personally I would take my business elseware, A person owning a hobby store should be informative and professional, also try to get you to try new things and processes. That will bring you in more and you wallet. Thats a bad way to do business IMO. keep up the good work and I for one will be looking forward to seeing your projects, thanks for the pics

Hmm, I guess I would be treated like a kid too (at age 34) - I use testors glue too!!

Although, I have been looking at some of those other types of glues now. I've used CA (crazy) type glues, liquid cement, white, and epoxies, but there are two other types that I may want to explore. One is this Tenax stuff, some kind of chemical solvent, and the other seems to be Methyl Hydrate (?) - I think they bond acrylic display cases with this stuff. My main reason thus far for staying away was that I feel I have been breathing in enough bad stuff that I don't need some other solvent in my lungs. I was hoping that I could find something that bonds as quickly as CA, but stronger and easier to clean up leaving no white film or residue. If anyone has ever used these glues, I would love to hear your experiences.

Hmm, I guess I would be treated like a kid too (at age 34) - I use testors glue too!!

Although, I have been looking at some of those other types of glues now. I've used CA (crazy) type glues, liquid cement, white, and epoxies, but there are two other types that I may want to explore. One is this Tenax stuff, some kind of chemical solvent, and the other seems to be Methyl Hydrate (?) - I think they bond acrylic display cases with this stuff. My main reason thus far for staying away was that I feel I have been breathing in enough bad stuff that I don't need some other solvent in my lungs. I was hoping that I could find something that bonds as quickly as CA, but stronger and easier to clean up leaving no white film or residue. If anyone has ever used these glues, I would love to hear your experiences.

William (sorry Jesse for this digression from your wonderful model):

Methanol [67-56-1]

Methyl hydroxide

Synonyms: Carbinol; colonial spirit; columbian spirit; columbian spirits; Methanol; Methanol ; METHYL ALCOHOL (METHANOL); ; Methylol; monohydroxymethane; pyroxylic spirit; Wood; Wood alcohol; wood naphtha; wood spirit;

That stuff is highly toxic, mainly if you drink it but fumes are also nasty and I doubt it can be used to glue plastic. Maybe the stuff you mentioned is Methyl ethyl ketone or MEK

[78-93-3]

Synonyms: 2-Butanone; butan-2-one; Butanone; Ethyl methyl ketone; meetco; MEK; methyl acetone; Methyl ethyl ketone; Methyl Ethyl Ketone ; Oxobutane.

This exactly what Testors liquid glue is made of and is not very toxic (at least is not carcinogenic)

Avoid chlorinated solvents as trichloromethane and the like (they are excelent glues for plastic but they can also destroy your liver as well)

Here you can find some good info about glues:

Modeling Glues

Fine scale forums

There is also some cyanoacrylate that doesn't fog but it's very expensive comapred to the normal type (I can find it in my Loctite catalogue if you want)