Image of the Punisher

And you just had to watch that attached Animatrix episode in a theater with big screen and kickass sound system, right? :lol:

This is Artisan we're talking about... when was the last time they had a production with an A-list actor? None that I can think of... this is the company that makes flicks with no-name actors like Blair Witch, I think Thomas Jane is probably the first "name" actor they have.

Given how Artisan crapped all over The House of the Dead, I am not holding my breath on this one even though Jane is a decent enough actor.

Update: Principal photography will be wrapping up in Tampa. Marvel/Artisan are looking at April 16 as their release date. Oh, for all the Canadian members, Marvel Comics will be lowering the prices for their comics. I have new pic of Thomas Jane. C'mon this is the Punisher!!!

post-26-1066092620_thumb.jpg

Ooooh, GREAT pic! This has helped assuage my fears ever-so-slightly.

I didn't know what to think about the compound bow since I can't clearly recall ever seeing Frank use one. The M4 with M203, though, now THAT's vintage Punisher.

Maybe I've been living in a hole but just who is that actor? Why haven't I ever heard of him? Who hires an unknown as the star of what I assume is meant to be a block buster?

Who hires an unknown to play a comic hero? I dunno, but Hugh Jackman kicks plenty of ass as Wolverine and I wouldn't have known who the hell he was before X-men.

From the imDB...

Who the hell is Thomas Jane?

He's been in some good flicks... and some really terrible ones.

Good movies - Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Thursday (actually, a really good one, if you've never seen it), 61, and arguably Deep Blue Sea

Worst movie - Dreamcatcher. The Sweetest Thing. Original Sin.

Overall, not a bad track record for an "unknown"... he's got a lot more going for him than Jackman, who'd been on some Austrailian soap operas.

I actually perefer when an Unkown or not some A star actor plays a superhero, makes it more believable.

Agreed! I hate it when everyone jumps for the big names for casting calls. IMO, very few big names can act to save their lives. I don't know if Thomas Jane is any good, but at least he's not well known. If he's good like Jackman was in X-Men, then he will have his day. If not he will fade away, but at least he got a chance. I say give all thesbians their chance instead of ringing the tired roll call.

vinnie

• 3 weeks later...

Well the new trailer is out........I think I'll be catching this movie now.

But what's the guy from Saturday Night Fever doing there?

(j/k.....I thought Travolta was GREAT in Face/Off as a bad guy)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/artisan/the_...nisher/trailer/

Thanks UN Spacy! The movie looks good... lots of ass kicking. I will be seeing it as well.

Kind of bothers me that I am going to be watching an action hero that looks like a sissy next to me though... I like action heros that look slightly tougher. Then again there is a toughness of attitude (example: Gene Hackman) that is hard to see in that trailer, however that actor may have.

The trailer worries me. A favorite character may go the way of Daredevil.

He conveniently finds his punisher shirt at the beach where his wife and kid were killed. Wha?

They changed his origin so that he comes from Florida instead of New York. Wha?

John Travolta, (is his character called the Scientologist?) looks and sounds as lame as ever, but perhaps I'll give him a chance.

I've had a thought about this for a bit. I may be wrong on this. But, Aw hell! Here it goes!!!

Remember in '99 when we first saw full body pics of Hugh as Wolverine? I dunno about you, but I remember the backlash. Stuff that was said about him like "He's too tall!" "He ain't hairy enough!" "He's gonna make Woverine sound like Crocodile Dundee!" "The claws are BETWEEN his knuckles! Not on the back of his hand!! That's sacrilige!" Those type of things. When the movie came out, and we all seen his skills, the same people ended up loving him to the point of nearly saturating the poor Ozzie's behind (And eventually forgiving him for Kate & Leopald :D ) Now we're at the point when we don't wanna see an X-Men picture if Hugh ain't in it.

What I'm trying to say here is I believe we should give the filmmaker's a bit of a chance of this. They may suprise us (Of course "may" is the key word on that sentence.) Besides, Most of them gave the makers of Daredevil a chance. And look how crappy that turned out to be!

Daredevil sucked because Ben "The Chin" Affleck was in it. All he does is go around yelling in a manner akin to Keanu Reeves going around looking confused and dazed and call it acting. Daredevil could have been more. I sure hope that if they ever make a sequel, they axe Affleck.

As for this trailer it looks pretty good to me. As long as Jane can pull off the role, the movie should be good. Travolta worries me though. Couldn't they have hired someone else as the villain?

vinnie

Edited by justvinnie

I'm very impressed with the casting so far. Like others have mentioned, Jane has the look of Castle. I hope he can pull off the role. As for the script, I haven't read it as yet, but I'd love to take a look at it. I am wary of any film adaptation of such a great character as the Punisher and I disliked the last film. I can only hope for the best in 2004.

Well, we can look at it this way...from what we have now, there's nowhere to go but up :)

I very much like the look of the punisher costume for this new film. It's very subdued, yet that dirty skull is unmistakable. The only thing I'm a little worrried about is the film appears too bright. It would be nice if the film features a darker pallette than the trailer. Then again, we all know how too much darkness can ruin a film.

*insert one of many examples here*

Hehehe

Edited by Mr March

I saw the trailer yesterday.. I like what I see!!

And.. I saw a shot of Punny with a welder.. would that perhaps be out of Punisher War Zone #1, where he uses a steak and a popsicle to torture the mafia goon?

• 5 months later...

Punisher was one of the few superhero-ish characters I liked. I never was much for the "Superman" sort.

Normal guys, with extraordinary circumstances and little to no real moral code...

..like Batman...

I love revenge stories. :D

I may see it later, Kill Bill is priority this weekend. Punisher seems interesting.