Are Macross 7 Fx Dvds Getting Rare?

I wanted to wait to see if a better translation of this series would be released but it doesnt look like its going to happen. I downloaded some of the episodes in avi but the picture quality looks terrible on my plasma. So now im trying to find the fx box sets and i cant find them anywhere. Anybody else having this problem?

I believe they are out of production and have been for some time now. Bootlegs do not seem to be kept in "backstock" when they run out like normal legit releases. I'd say scope out the usual suspects and see if they have any more on hand. If they don't then there is a good chance you will be waiting to snipe something on eBay.

Try animeniacs or animekrazy. Chances are one of them still has it. Or check & see if Kevin still has the good ole FX 2 box release still in stock. Someone mentioned in another topic about pm'ing him.

Seeing as how I've only ever seen them in low-rate AVI's too, I'm interested in getting a decent copy as well. Anyways---is "Fleet of the Strongest Woman" included in the FX set?

And neither of the places Keith mentioned seem to have the series.

There are quite a few of them in Tokyo. They are a bit pricey. I have seen them separate and as the combined box set. Ive run out of room So theyll have to wait till September when I return.

If they are still there then ( they were last year) then I bag em.

Try animeniacs or animekrazy. Chances are one of them still has it. Or check & see if Kevin still has the good ole FX 2 box release still in stock.  Someone mentioned in another topic about pm'ing him.

393521[/snapback]

I have yet to order anything from ANIMEniacs, whether it's the entire Macross 7 series including Encore, Fleet of the Strongest Women and Dynamite 7 or Sailor Moon (both anime and/or live-action).

I loathe unemployment, minna-san. :angry:

Seeing as how I've only ever seen them in low-rate AVI's too, I'm interested in getting a decent copy as well.  Anyways---is "Fleet of the Strongest Woman" included in the FX set? 

And neither of the places Keith mentioned seem to have the series.

393524[/snapback]

Yeah, the FX sets have everything for M7. The TV series, OVA, movie and the shorts shown at the end of every three or four episodes.

Sorry for yet more clarification---so is Set 1 only say the first half of the eps of the series, and Set 2 is end of the eps, the OVA, movie, and everything else? (because I'd be happy with just having the last eps and all the other stuff)

Yup, set 2 is episode 29-52, plus movie & OVA. I'd go with that from Kevin if for no other reason, then if you do find a complete set elsewhere, it won't have the movie & Dynamite (later releases put them on a seperate disc).

Also, try e-mailing import-anime.com, I think sometimes they'll do special orders if something isn't in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Macross 7 fx dvds from discountanimedvd.com. Box 1 was unrwapped and the discs were in the case and one of them was dislodged. Box 2 was wrapped in plastic and the discs were separate in paper slip cases. The video quality is not bad though watching it on a plasma you can see some of the pixelization. The subtitles are pissing me off but i guess i have no choice. So if you cant find the fx boxes you can find them there.

If it's any consolation, there's no version (on DVD) that exists with better subtitles. There was a release just before the FX disc's came out that had "slightly" better subtitles, but it's long since discontinued. The only versions available for the past couple years have been FX, and repackaged FX without the movie & OVA.

From what I recall, they still suffered from dropped subtitles & hk translation. Never claimed to have picked up one of the earlier sets, passed on them since they had no extra's, clipped all the openings & endings, had watermarks, etc.

I was at ANIMEniacs yesterday... picked up the Dynamite 7 OVAs & Movie, but I do not see the TV series on their shelf....

dang $45 at discountanimedvd.com

this same set would be $16 at ANIMEniacs :(

399404[/snapback]

Unless they have obscenely low instore prices, it would probably be about $50-60 for that set.

I am not getting hardly any hits on Macross 7, which is surprising.

I got this set off ebay a couple years ago and it apparently has all of the extra bits that the FX set has. The entire season in one box, but not Dynamite 7 or "The Movie" (aka The Galaxy is Calling Me).

macross7set.jpg

That looks available from here. I have no affiliation or experience with that site, since (as I mentioned), I got mine on Ebay. Good set with decent translations, though the fan subs are better.

Edited by Uxi

Also I noticed that FX sets don't have all the lil extras from every 4th episode, there are a few, but not every single one which is a bummer.

I do have one old VHS sub group on VHS, but I don't have the entire series anymore, those tapes have scattered all across the house and I don't know where they were all placed. I think I found about...2/3rds of them.

This was back when I was hmmmm I think a Junior in HS when I got these.....can't even remember the name of the group, Moon something.

I was at ANIMEniacs yesterday... picked up the Dynamite 7 OVAs & Movie, but I do not see the TV series on their shelf....

dang $45 at discountanimedvd.com

this same set would be $16 at ANIMEniacs :(

399404[/snapback]

Unless they have obscenely low instore prices, it would probably be about $50-60 for that set.

399563[/snapback]

how many discs to the FX release are we talking about?

Actually, the FX sets did have all of the extra's. If you're comparing with the fansub tapes, the general distributed version of those (I think it was psykocorps) re-distributed the 7 Plus shorts to balance out with their 4 episodes a tape. The FX release has them corresponding with the R2 DVD's (though with a fewer disc count obviously).

And the original FX release was 8 disc's, 7 TV, & 1 Movie & OVA.

• 1 year later...
Dear all,

I have some questions about Macross 7 of FX Release.

Does it have subtitles with opening, ending and the next step?

Thanks for yours' attention!

Next ep previews aren't subtitled, and and ops & ends aren't subtitled either, but all are present. The only strange edit done to the FX sets are on the Dynamite episodes. For some reason they decided to clip the "to be continued" portions.

Next ep previews aren't subtitled, and and ops & ends aren't subtitled either, but all are present. The only strange edit done to the FX sets are on the Dynamite episodes. For some reason they decided to clip the "to be continued" portions.
Thanks for your response, Keith.

In addition, how about the timeline of subtitle? Is it accurate?

Edited by sm7429

Were the FX subs really the best ones?

A guy that did distributing thought I should go with MAC or something, but I had prior experience with FX and liked them.

I know the subs aren't perfect (I watched the fansubs of M7 at least 8 times all the way through before I got the DVDs), but are they the best out of all the groups that released M7 on DVD?

I wasn't able to snag a MAC/AC set before they started ripping the FX set, so I'm not a 100% sure how good their subtitles were, but I do know they also weren't up to fansub quailty.

That's actually the strange thing about the FX disc's, while there is a good share of HK gibberish, for some reason all of the important episodes are subtitled properly. It's almost like the rest of the gibberish was intentionally thrown in... Though I've always held a theory that HK's were moderately tolerated on the basis that they have crap subtitles.

Edited by Keith

• 2 weeks later...
They didn't steal enough. They should have used fansubs for every freakin' episode!

I agree the version I have is sometimes infuriating the subs cant get "him" and "her" the right way round for a start. Good job I know enough Japanese to ignore them and just listen while only looking at the subs for guidance and such. The first set of Zero I got the subs were mostly good except for stuff like referring to Gasoline as oil and few nonsense sentences, the second set seamed to have fix all the bad syntax etc of the first set but got a whole new load of problems of its own.

Proper Fansubs are the way to go. They care and know the subject matter they are translating and are not gonna give you something that was translated from Japanese to Chinese to English via some translator program.

If you want an idea as how bad that it go to the google translator and type in a sentence translate it to a different language and then translate the results to another language and then back into English. The results are most amusing.