Macross Vs. Other Popular Anime

Isoquant

I'm just curious how many people on here are into some form of anime other than the Macross universe.

Personally, I've not given other popular series much attention. There are a few that I've tried to watch, but I just don't find them that interesting. It seems that no other series combines drama, sci-fi, action, intrigue, and romance as well as the Macross series does (oh... and let's not forget pop music).

I've tried Armitage, Ghost in the Shell, Samurai Champloo, and several others, but I've had a tough time getting into them. I'd say the only series other than the original Macross that have held my attention are Neon Genesis (though I find it vastly inferior), and other series within the Macross universe.

I've heard that Escaflowne is great (another Kawamori product, of course), but I haven't seen any of it yet.

Is my experience atypical, or is Macross such a standout series that most everything else will inevitably disappoint me? Robotech/Macross was my first real experience with anime, but I've felt like it's been all downhill afterwards.

I like yamato.

The wave motion gun = the sdf1 main gun

The dogfighting is cool and the ship's crew similar to the sdf1 are struggling to cope and stay alive. So there is a little suspense as well.

The bad guys are kind of like the zentradi because they look human but thier skin color is different. I think Desler might be related to Kamjin.

There is some humor. I think analyser is better than R2D2 from star wars and has more personality.

There is even romance and dramatic deaths. (even robots can have thier feeling hurt - if only analyser met Sharon Apple..)

If only the fighters could transform into mecha though..

And NO, Phalanx, the fighters do not need to be remade. I think they look cool as they are. :p

Also the main chracter looks like Hikaru. This is what Hikaru should have acted like after he grew up a bit, post SW I.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Within the limitations of mecha anime and the kind of mecha anime that is made, it's unlikely I'll ever find a mecha anime series more interesting than Macross. To be quite honest, I think most mecha anime is pants, and I mean everything from 70's to the present. The poor quality of the average mecha anime is almost embarrassing. The Oshii directed Patlabor films and Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket are about the only other mecha anime I can stand.

Taking into account ALL anime, including non-sci-fi or non-mecha, I enjoy a few anime shows and anime films more than Macross. Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Jin-Roh, Vampire Hunter D, Ghost In The Shell, Nausicaa, and a few others are some great anime I enjoy as much or more than my beloved Macross.

For me, anime has always been a difficult medium to enjoy, mostly due to the fact that I despise childrens entertainment, even years ago when I was a child. Since most anime is geared towards children or adolescents, I find it hard to suffer the inherent limitations of such sheltered productions. The anime I really like is the more serious, maturely themed films or series which are sadly in the minority. Sometimes, I'll find a childrens anime production so amazing that I'll embrace it, but this is rare (such cases would be Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke).

Japanese live action film has always been easier for me to enjoy, featuring more stories to which I can relate.

Edited by Mr March

I've heard that Escaflowne is great (another Kawamori product, of course), but I haven't seen any of it yet.

I strongly recommend it. Looks bad at the beginning, but it picks up FAST towards the end of episode 1.

Be warned, though. It has teenage angst in abundance.

I like a lot of anime. Some of my favorite non-Macross ones are...

Vision of Escaflowne. Featuring special guest star: The Reguld!

Magical Project S. Gotta love it when a show spoofing a genre comes out better than the stuff it spoofed.

This one started life inside of Tenchi Muyo!, but by the time they produced Magical Project S they had broken far enough away that Tenchi only even showed up in one episode, and none of the characters bore any resemblance to their original forms. So don't let the origins scare you away.

Super robots in general. I'm a sucker for anything with over-excited piltos that shout out all their attack names.

Sure, Macross is the special thing to me, but I like anime stuff in general. Haven't watched much lately though. As said Escaflowne is cool, even it has every possible cliché. It didn't bother me, it's a great adventure/mecha/whatever series. It has pretty good music too btw, yeah and the teen angst. :rolleyes: Good anyway.

Cowboy bebop is of course one amazing anime.

I liked Trigun also a lot, though it seems to be too slow series for some people.

On my should-watch-list are for example Orguss, Yamato, Harlock/Herlock, Five star stories, Aquarion, Megazone 23... etc etc. A lot of stuff, I just haven't been able to get them yet. :(

And I'll form THE HEAD!

In regards to other anime, I enjoy anything with tentacle rape. There's nothing like watching an otherwise hot-anime chick exploding after endless lengths of tentacles shooting through her body...

My all time Fav animes:

1. DYRL (its been on the No.1 spot for more than 20 years)

2. Millennium Actress

3. Nausicaa

4. Evangelion Series/ Movie

5. Maison Ikkoku

6. Spirited Away

7. Totoro

8. Porco Roso

9. Jin-Roh

10. Mononoke Hime

11. 3x3 Eyes (had to slip this one in) ^_^

I´m not too much into anime but here and there I give some movie/series a try, but then there are a few that are superior to all live-actions things.

Of all franchises I like Macross the most, more than even Star Wars or Star Trek, Macross has never failed to attract me over 23 years now and it doesn´t look this will change.

Orguss rules!!

Miyazaki movies are great, still haven´t seen most of them but Nausicaä and Spirited Away are among my all-time favourites.

A decade ago I loved Akira and GitS but nomehow my fascination has faded a bit, though I still like Venus Wars and the Patlabor movies.

The most fascinating movie I have EVER seen is definitely Wings of Honneamise (of course), there is nothing higher! Strange but timeless classic, superbly animated, no flaws even after almost 20years.

Gunbuster Aim for the Top was really cool, didn´t really like Evangelion though.

That´s all old stuff now that I think about it. In recent years I sat through Arjuna -beautifully animated but it soon got too preachy, Kawamori as an environmental guru... <_<

Last Exile looks great- I´ve watched the first 12 eps. and I like it, wonder when I find the time for the rest.

As for Kawamori involvement, I skipped Aquarion but maybe I give Eureka 7 a go, I occasionally follow the thread here on MW and I find it quite interesting...

Sure I watched Astro Boy, Speed Racer and Starblazers (Yamato) as a kid in the 70s, but it was really Macross/Robotech/Dyrl in '85 that really introduced me to anime. I think there are plenty of other great anime titles like Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion and so on. However none of them had the influence on my life like Macross had and so, to me, none of them will ever compare to Macross.

I can certainly tell you that a lot of my friends feel the same way.

Miyazaki movies are great, still haven´t seen most of them but Nausicaä and Spirited Away are among my all-time favourites.

379292[/snapback]

I think you would find Laputa a great movie, if haven't already. Oh, and Porco Rosso, since I have a hunch you are into aeroplanes and other flying things. ;)

You know, Hayao's father had an aeroplane company during WWII. Actually, was Ghibli it's name? Or was Ghibli a name of some aeroplane motor? Now somebody correct me quickly if I'm talking nonsense! :ph34r:

Edit: the company was called Miyazaki airplane.

Edited by Sdf-1

I haven't watched any new stuff, but off the top of my head, other anime I like...

Bubblegum Crisis...the original OVA. I had seen other anime before, but this got me hooked!

Patlabor...my second favorite mecha-centric anime franchise, after Macross of course.

Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli anime...especially the older stuff, e.g. Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Kiki, Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, Ocean Waves, Laputa, Lupin III movie

End of Evangelion...I probably like the movie for all the reasons why so many hate it. The TV series bore me.

Cowboy Bebop...yeah yeah I is on the bandwagon, this series oozed coolness.

Tenchi Muyo!...the original OVA. I got hooked on the combo of comedy, drama, action, sci-fi, music, kawaii-ness...seriously, is there anything cuter than Sasami + Ryo-ohki?

_sasami.jpg

Ryo-ohki was the pet that turned into giant space ship IIRC? :p

379300[/snapback]

Yep!

Ryo-Oki is a spaceship that can take the form of a cabbit. When first appearing she became instant friends with Sasami. Ryo-Ohki eats LOTS of carrots and can eat more then her body wieght in them! He can also turn into a crystal to become part of the ship's computer system.

http://www.absoluteanime.com/tenchi_muyo/ryo-ohki.htm

Other than Macross, my Top Ten other "guilty pleasures" would be:

1-Patlabor (all except WXIII)

2-The Professional (Duke Togo kicks major ass).

3-Dominion: Tank Police (the original)

4-Project A-ko (the first installment. The sequels sucked)

5-Gundam (Universal Century timeline only)

6-Appleseed (both versions)

7-Ah! My Goddess!

8-Yukikaze

9-Vampire Hunter D( both installments)

10- Fist of the North Star(original)

Honorable Mentions would be Steamboy and Akira. There are other titles and series I enjoy, but these are on top of the list. And I mostly lean toward the Classics.

I enjoy most anime in general, except the kiddie stuff like Salior Moon. And I tend to avoid Hentai in general, unless it is well done.

The reigning king of all anime will always be Macross to me. I can be halfway through exploring some new series and find it very easy to stop and put on ANY of the Macross installments (well, maybe II is an exception). That said, I do place a few other series on a relatively high pedestal, though for some reason (nostalgia?) they tend to be older titles.

In order of preference:

Bubblegum Crisis (original OVAs)

Vision of Escaflowne (the movie is interesting, but the series is prefered)

Cowboy Bebop

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and 2nd Gig)

Genesis Climber Mospeada

Gunbuster (original OVAs - haven't seen the new "sequel" yet, but I'm afraid to)

Project A-Ko (just NOT the Versus Battles)

Record of Lodoss War (original OVAs)

Crest/Banner of the Stars

Megazone 23

Rahxephon

Movies:

Akira

Nausicaä

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Spirited Away

Hrm. So it's a bigger list than I thought, but still not all that massive. Most anime these days just doesn't grab me the way most of these classics (especially Macross) do.

379292[/snapback]

I have a hunch that you would dig Porco Rosso and Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Beide sind im Flug fokussiert. B))

379303[/snapback]

These are exactly the two I am waiting for :) All the Miyazaki movies are currently getting a german dubbing. Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaä, Howl´s Moving Castle and Kiki´s Delivery Service are out but the others will take some time. Miyazaki´s magic works best for me if it´s all about flying!

Guest Bromgrev

I think all of Miyazaki's movies are worth the investment. I got the entire set from Japan a few years back (so no Moving Castle), and I've watched them over and over again. There's just so much detail to absorb.

Those two (Porco Rosso and Laputa) are my favourites, I would say, closely followed by Nausicaä. I wasn't too keen on Moving Castle, I thought the characters and the story didn't hang together too well. The designs, though were cool as ever, especially the big ornithopter-like bombers. I love his steampunk flying contraptions (decades before anyone coined the term).

Tenchi Muyo!...the original OVA.  I got hooked on the combo of comedy, drama, action, sci-fi, music, kawaii-ness...seriously, is there anything cuter than Sasami + Ryo-ohki?

379298[/snapback]

Indeed there isn't. Hence the popularity of Pretty Sammy.

Somebody should PM me and tell me where to download anime for free!!!

As it is, I'm stuck watching whatever is on Cartoon Network or one of the other networks. So far cool shows have been (in absolutley no order):

1) Trigun

2) Cowboy Bebop

3) Samurai Champloo

4) Street Fighter II (if for no other reason than the episode titles)

5) Patlabor movies

6) Vandread

I've also managed to watch Orguss and Orguss II, they were spiffy.

End of Evangelion...I probably like the movie for all the reasons why so many hate it.  The TV series bore me.

_sasami.jpg

379298[/snapback]

I just finished watching the Evangelion series, and I am extremely disappointed. I haven't seen the movie yet, so maybe my perception will change, but as of now I regard this series as an overblown, overrated mess.

The way the series concluded is reminiscent of how the Matrix movies just imploded at the end; so much promise with so little to show for it. I just can't fathom how some consider Evangelion the greatest anime of all time.

To be honest with you, as soon as I finished the series, I simply shook my head and popped in my new copy of Flashback: 2012. I think I'm now convinced that Macross is just a freak anomaly that will never be duplicated in the anime world.

*snip*

I just can't fathom how some consider Evangelion the greatest anime of all time.

379364[/snapback]

Yet those same fans wonder why so few take anime seriously. :)

379372[/snapback]

It's been a while since I watched it, but my understanding was that if you watch up to Episode 24 and then the two movies instead of Ep 25 & 26 it actually makes it a good series.

Other than Macross, I own:

Appleseed (movie CG)

Blood

Cowboy Bebop (movie)

Ghost in the Shell 2

Ninja Scroll

Wicked City

Wonderful Days

Yukikaze

I have seen Samurai Champloo, but have not purchased it yet. I will also work on getting the Miyazaki stuff. There are a few others I will get in the near future. I mainly stick with OVA and films. Most series just don't have the consistency in quality that I like.

Concure, dig into the movie & do a bit more research on the net and you will enjoy (or addicted like many evamanaic, including myself) the TV series a lot more. What ever disappointment you had with the TV ending, you'll find alot of more answers & question in the movie. AND Auska & Unit-02 really kick ass in the movie.

It's been a while since I watched it, but my understanding was that if you watch up to Episode 24 and then the two movies instead of Ep 25 & 26 it actually makes it a good series.

379410[/snapback]

Only other anime I own is Cowboy Bebop. Its weird but Im not a big fan of anime. Only really love Macross because I watched it as a kid and now as an adult can appreciate the storyline and characters alot more. I got into Bebop just because I heard it was such a great series that I had to watch. I bought Session 1 and loved it.

So only Cowboy Bebop so far I would say I am a fan of, but I have seen Blood The Last Vampire, and both Vampire Hunter D movies which I thought were good.

Only other anime I own is Cowboy Bebop. Its weird but Im not a big fan of anime. Only really love Macross because I watched it as a kid and now as an adult can appreciate the storyline and characters alot more. I got into Bebop just because I heard it was such a great series that I had to watch. I bought Session 1 and loved it.

So only Cowboy Bebop so far I would say I am a fan of, but I have seen Blood The Last Vampire, and both Vampire Hunter D movies which I thought were good.

379601[/snapback]

I haven't seen the 1st Vampire Hunter D in years, don't remember much. But the 2nd film was beautifully done!!!

I haven't seen the 1st Vampire Hunter D in years, don't remember much. But the 2nd film was beautifully done!!!

379629[/snapback]

The first film might not live up to nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan and love both films, but in comparison to the second film, the first is the weaker one. It's still a great anime flick though and you should certainly get a hold of it again.

Macross was the first anime I ever watched (even though I knew it as Robotech back in '85). I hold a very special place for it in my heart. But besides that there are only a few titles that I have ever really enjoyed.

Cowboy Bebop; Spike is the man.

Anything Studio Ghibli; I can't wait to watch Tales from Earthsea!

Record of Lodoss War the OVA.

Anything Ranma 1/2; one of my guilty pleasures.

Patlabor

There are a few more but I've been drinking tall ass glasses of Makers Mark and can't remember them at the moment.

drama, sci-fi, action, intrigue, and romance as well as the Macross series does

sigh, I guess I've got to say it again, because Jelenien and Morpheus aren't going to. Legend of the Galactic Heroes aka Helgensagen Von Kosmenief, is actually one series that outshines Macross on most of these categories. Its a massive sci-fi Epic that spans 110 episodes, thousands of characters, and absolutely fantastic battles. They are more realistic than Macross (millions die as do important characters in battles). Finally while the series does not use pop music, it does use classical music, which fits in better than any pop music ever could.The only thing that it lacks is a true love story, but you won't notice it.

LOGH is likely my favorite anime series... and I've watched quite a bit in my day.

Edited by Noyhauser