Who Likes The Original Macross Music?

Isoquant

Coming from RT, I hated it at first (thought it sounded way too dated), but now it's really grown on me. In fact, I just received the complete Macross soundtrack in the mail and have added some tracks to my ipod. The tracks from DYRL are particularly outstanding.

I have to confess, Mari's tunes become quite infectious after awhile, and this is coming from someone who utterly detests most forms of commercial teeny-bopper pop music (I grew up listening to old-school indie stuff like Pixies, Joy Division, The Smiths, etc.).

Coming from RT, I hated it at first (thought it sounded way too dated), but now it's really grown on me. In fact, I just received the complete Macross soundtrack in the mail and have added some tracks to my ipod. The tracks from DYRL are particularly outstanding.

I have to confess, Mari's tunes become quite infectious after awhile, and this is coming from someone who utterly detests most forms of commercial teeny-bopper pop music (I grew up listening to old-school indie stuff like Pixies, Joy Division, The Smiths, etc.).

376897[/snapback]

Whoah did I just post that under another screen name? lol. Yeah, I'm exactly the same way, right down to the list of bands you sited as examples. I can't believe I like Minmay's songs as much as I do. One of my favorites is Silver Moon. Red Moon. Hmmm... I wonder if I can get Mari to cover the Pixies' "Bone Machine".

I'm pretty much the same way. I heard RT first and then Macross and felt that the Macross background music was almost comical when I heard it first played. The vocal tracks were immediately much much better but to this date I really can't get behind the original background music. It just doesn't menace me enough. I grew up listening to Operation Ivy, Bad Religion, Jawbreaker, and metal.

Yes the original Macross soundtrack is amazing.

376917[/snapback]

Exactly. Basically, my taste of music has been mostly on the heavier side (though I've expanded it a lot to other genres, and always liked for example massive orchestral tracks etc), but I can honestly say, original Macross score AND songs are the greatest music ever composed. Dyrl has also the high production quality in addition to that.

Yes the original Macross soundtrack is amazing.

376917[/snapback]

...but I can honestly say, original Macross score AND songs are the greatest music ever composed.

376921[/snapback]

LOL :D

I love Macross as much as the next guy, but what about Beethoven's 9th Symphony?

I love Macross as much as the next guy, but what about Beethoven's 9th Symphony?

376923[/snapback]

IIRC only the first measures are worth something... Mozart's Requiem would've been better example in classical music. Most classical music is pretty bad, repetitive and forgettable.

Edited by Sdf-1

376923[/snapback]

IIRC only the first measures are worth something... Mozart's Requiem would've been better example in classical music. Most classical music is pretty bad, repetitive and forgettable.

376929[/snapback]

Same's true of any genre, IMO.

True. But even the so called greatest classical 100 hour symphonies tend to have only little parts that I personally think are great. Yeah, they are propably valued by composing techniques and such, but I don't think good music needs to be that much analyzed before it can be considered great. Though, for example Bach was the master of polyphony, combining huge amount of independent melodies to one incredible texture of sound. Great music doesn't always need to be easy to approach either. Actually, I'm pretty much into that kind of stuff, and progressive music. Funny thing is, I think Macross score is damn progressive, in the spirit of the original progressive rock.

Of course, Macross fandom affects greatly to my opinion. :D

Edited by Sdf-1

I always hated the robotech sountrack, bugged the hell out of me even in 85. I was quite happy to hear the original Macross Soundtrack, think my first exposure were RA files on Horace Chan's Macross page....is that thing still around?

Just checked, and unfortunately it's not. I knew I should have snagged that Macross java game years ago!

Edited by Keith

I love the DYRL soundtrack, it does so much to the movie, and vice versa.

On the "Macross The Complete" collection, apart from everybody's fav "Oboeteimasuka", I would definitely recommend these two pieces: Track 12 of Disc-2 and track 9 of Disc-3, they are absolute gems.

Both pieces were arranged/reworked by Kentaro Haneda with a slight flavour of slow jazz, very nice. Particularly Track 12, try and listen to it on a quiet evening by yourself with a book; you'll really get the feeling of floating in space, in a Vf-1, no thrust, just pure gravity from a distant star. Funny enough, it would make a great dinner music with your woman but play it at the wrong time, it becomes elevator music. :p

...I can't stand Robotech music or songs.

Graham

376968[/snapback]

You heard it from the Man, need I say more? ;)

On the "Macross The Complete" collection, apart from everybody's fav "Oboeteimasuka", I would definitely recommend these two pieces: Track 12 of Disc-2 and track 9 of Disc-3, they are absolute gems. 

You said it man! I love those tracks!

For anyone who doesn't have "Macross: The Complete", you HAVE to get it.

It is well worth the money. Contains the soundtracks with vocals & BGM's to both the SDF Macross TV series & DYRL?.

Great stuff!

I like the orignal Macross symphonic score music like Fate's Arrow. It is far superior to the sappy Robotech master scores IMHO... but as for the pop music, ugh. I can't stand Minmay OR Minmei... Reba West or Mari Iijima. West sounds like a drunk secretary blasting out at Karaoke night and I'm just not a fan of J-pop to like Mari. If I had to choose it is a no brainer that Mari > Reba hands down but as for putting it on my Ipod and listening to it outside of the show that is a no-go for me.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Yeah I have to admit that when I first heard the original soundtrack when watching the series I wasnt to fond of it. Probably because I was so use to the Robotech soundtrack. But like others mentioned, the music fits so well. The music really sets the mood without having that stupid narrator butting in all the time like on Robotech. All moments between Hikaru and Minmay, Hikaru and Misa are made all the better with the music.

I couldnt even begin to tell you which BG music track is my favorite since I dont know the titles.  :blink:

377238[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't know the BGM titles either but my favorite one is what I suppose you could call the "Zentradi Theme Song". Y'know the one they always play whenever they show the Zentradi ships. Call it the Macross equivalent of the "Imperial March".

I like it all, the first time I heard them or just the main ones it was on the FC and SFC game and later the DYRL. Have the complete collection and the most one I realy like is the ending theme in the last episode sung by Mari.

You can tell from the BGM`s especially the drama themes that they were made for young adults or adults. As for RT I liked at first but it got so annoying after listing to original Macross themes.

I've always liked the BGM for RT battle scenes a little better than the fret-tappin' 80s guitar cheese for the routine Macross battle scenes. I will say that after watching Love Drifts Away for the 6th or 7th time, I've grown to like the battle scene and music much better than what RT did with Force of Arms. The music is more polished, and Mari doesn't sing off-key like Reba.

Of the series songs, Shao Pai Long and Sunset Beach are annoyingly catchy - both songs that I hated at first but now hum along to (only when watchin series). My fave Macross song is still Angel's Paint.

Edited by ghostryder

I've always liked the BGM for RT battle scenes a little better than the fret-tappin' 80s guitar cheese for the routine Macross battle scenes. I will say that after watching Love Drifts Away for the 6th or 7th time, I've grown to like the battle scene and music much better than what RT did with Force of Arms. The music is more polished, and Mari doesn't sing off-key like Reba.

Of the series songs, Shao Pai Long and Sunset Beach are annoyingly catchy - both songs that I hated at first but now hum along to (only when watchin series). My fave Macross song is still Angel's Paint.

377302[/snapback]

Shao Pai Lon definitely falls into the "annoyingly catchy" category. Gets stuck in my head and I CAN'T GET IT OUT!

*starts humming*

GAH!

Mari's Songs, great. Fun, catchy, and it's not Reba. Yes, it's a little dated, but all pop gets dated.

The Macross soundtrack? Parts of it really don't work for me... especially the main theme. To me, it's too corny and 70's-80's Japanese-y, which to me, dates really quickly and is hard on the ears of someone used to Western music unless you've grown up with it. It just doesn't fit my musical aesthetics of less is more, and uses a whole lot of notes in a short period of time as a main motif. I admit that I got more used to the theme over time, but whem I'm honest with myself, it still sounds kinda hokey.

Yes, I actually like much of the Robotech soundtrack better. Of course, I grew up with it, but there are some themes that really work that I was dissapointed wasn't in Macross. The RT Zentradi theme is a lot more ominous and brooding to me than the almost obnoxious WAAA WAAA WAAA! that's played when the Zentradi come out of space fold in Macross.

Ditto JsARCLIGHT's opinion. The symphonic stuff is great, the j-pop is lousy.

I guess I'm of the exact opposite opinion of both of ya. The main theme and its related symphonic pieces manage to date in a way I don't think orchestral pieces should. But most of the rest is pretty good or at least serviceable since I don't notice it most times.

I don't think it's just Robotech's nostalgia and my fear of change that makes me like parts of its soundtrack more. I prefer Macross in almost every other aspect except the characters don't speak my native language (no, I know about the new dub-- IMO it's inadequate), I actually like RT Roy, and throaty Max was hard getting used to since there isn't a pretty-boy-with-booming-voice archetype in Western culture.

I know some folks think the Macross theme fits perfectly, but I know when I watched it, I wasn't expecting high-tech fighter robots and unscrutable aliens fighting to slightly hokey, Japanese folk-accented music from the 80's. I know, I know. What else could I have expected?

I must admit, when I think of Macross BGM, I'm far more likely to think of the timeless 'DYRL?' background pieces, than the tv series music. Still, there are a good number of tracks from SDF Macross that I love to this day, Dog Fighter springing to mind instantly.

Comparing the soundtrack to that of Robotech's, well it seems to me that it would be like comparing a great home cooked meal, to some quick and easy take-out.

Comparing the soundtrack to that of Robotech's, well it seems to me that it would be like comparing a great home cooked meal, to some quick and easy take-out.

377468[/snapback]

Actually, it's more akin to comparing a decent sushi dinner that some just don't have a taste for with a good prime rib that's unfortunately served with a pretty revolting creamed spinach.

Reba = spinach.

I'm like a shark! I just gotta...

Okay, I'll quit. Apparently only one other person here reads Penny Arcade.

Edited by Sundown

The only original Macross music I like (love rather) is Stardust Memory, Violin of Tears, and Melody of Sorrow

Unlike with Robotech, I like Love Themes, Desolation, Broken Heart (personal fav.), Roy Fokker's Theme, Reconstruction Blues, Catastrophe, Battle Stations, Main Theme, and Private Time.

So as far as my liking the original Macross score goes, I guess one could say I prefer RT's BGM compared to Macross TV's; but I think the BGM in Macross TV suits the show better than RT's. Disliked the vocal tracks for both though however. But yea....