Who Likes The Original Macross Music?

Isoquant

About 2 years have tpassed since I bought The Compete Collection, and, admittetly, after quie some time of getting used to it, I dare say this is one of the greatest works in soundtrack history.

There is the (now) reto-funky-sounding main theme, the sometimes corny or even cheesy j-pop-tunes, some all-too-sweet elevator music, some dynamic battle themes complete with Santana-style guitars, some eerie solo-violin-pieces, great epic (but often brief) orchestral pieces - some moody melancholy tunes in between and, finally, that great Hawaii-guitar ending theme.

The sheer variety is stunning plus it is played with Big Band-orchestration rather than the "usual" symphonic orchestra that we are so used to since Star Wars.

My experience was that, while I initially disliked quite some of the pieces -especially the violins and -sorry- some of Minmay´s songs, after some time all this patchwork seemed to fit together and started to form an epic score that in its entirety is much more than its individual pieces. It is at least 50% of the series`"magic" IMO.

Macross is a show that equally focuses on the fate of humanity and on cheesy teenage love stories. A John Williams style-score may be great for space Battles, but Haneda manages to illustrate all facettes of what is going on, with the melancholy undertone as a bridge between the personal and the epic.

Frankly, I don´t usually listen to music of similar style in everyday life, and hadn´t it been related to Macross, I wouldn´t have listened to it with the same enthusiasm - but it is what it is, and it is quite perfect. I regard the DYRL part as some kind of "refined" version with more focus on the epic part, but to me both soundtracks form one big entity.

Shao Pai Lon definitely falls into the "annoyingly catchy" category. Gets stuck in my head and I CAN'T GET IT OUT!

*starts humming*

GAH!

377305[/snapback]

Thanks JNO, now I can't get it out of my head!

AAARGHH!!

~^`~`^"Shao Pai Lon~^`~`^

AARGHH!!