Superman Returns

Mr March

The trailer looks great to me too. The Brando voiceover was AWESOME and set the mood perfectly.

I love that shot of supes just floating in space.

That said, I agree with Graham, I don't want an exhaustive origin story either. My guess is that it will be a series of hopefully brief flashbacks that will tie in with superman's story in the present.

The teaser doesn't really show much for me to comment on. The costume...well I already threw in my comments back on this thread:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=11473

From the official site:

Following a mysterious absence of several years, the Man of Steel comes back to Earth in the epic action-adventure Superman Returns, a soaring new chapter in the saga of one of the world's most beloved superheroes. While an old enemy plots to render him powerless once and for all, Superman faces the heartbreaking realization that the woman he loves, Lois Lane, has moved on with her life. Or has she? Superman's bittersweet return challenges him to bridge the distance between them while finding a place in a society that has learned to survive without him. In an attempt to protect the world he loves from cataclysmic destruction, Superman embarks on an epic journey of redemption that takes him from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of outer space.

Definitely no origin and definitely won't tread on Smallville. This movie appears more to be about Supes finding his place and accepting change. Looking at Bryan Singer's video blogs, I kinda get that feel that this is what the story is about. When they jump to his youth in the teaser, jumping through the corn fields, it looks like he's just beginning to figure out he's different. Then there's the whole Brando dialogue about him being different. Then we get to the present day where the world has been without a Superman for several years, the world has moved on without him. So I get this feeling that this whole movie is about changes and accepting them.

I'm intriged.  Definitely going to see it when it comes out.  I'm also looking forward to the upcoming directors cut of the second movie.

346278[/snapback]

Does that include such scenes as:

1) Zod or one of his men killing that boy who tried to escape from that small town with the light of a police car. Someone cries out "He was just a boy!" Then Zod or one of his men say something like "He'll never be a man."

2) Superman erasing Lois' memory and then destroying the Fortress of Solitude. Without seeing this, it makes certain things in Superman IV quite confusing.

For some reason they would play these scenes when it was aired on one of the national networks. Same thing went with the first Naked Gun movie... a scene cut from that shows how Frank's umpire vest was shot full of holes and deflated; in the theatrical cut, one moment the umpire vest is intact and then in the next moment, it's all deflated and shot full of holes! :o

I'm intriged.  Definitely going to see it when it comes out.  I'm also looking forward to the upcoming directors cut of the second movie.

346278[/snapback]

1) Zod or one of his men killing that boy who tried to escape from that small town with the light of a police car. Someone cries out "He was just a boy!" Then Zod or one of his men say something like "He'll never be a man."

2) Superman erasing Lois' memory and then destroying the Fortress of Solitude. Without seeing this, it makes certain things in Superman IV quite confusing.

For some reason they would play these scenes when it was aired on one of the national networks. Same thing went with the first Naked Gun movie... a scene cut from that shows how Frank's umpire vest was shot full of holes and deflated; in the theatrical cut, one moment the umpire vest is intact and then in the next moment, it's all deflated and shot full of holes! :o

346316[/snapback]

Don't know about the answer to your questions, but the directors cut is supposed to be from Donner, who was fired before he finished it and it was handed off to another director. Here's more info: http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/new...watch-S2dvd.jpg

I wouldn't put down Hackman's Luthor as inferior or less serious then Spacy. We have yet to see the finished product and basing it on a single screenshot is foolish. We all know what kind of an evil bastard Hackman can play. Runaway Jury and Crimson Tide come to mind. Sadly the "Otis Factor" ruined Luthor's image into almost a comical version of Supe's arch nemesis. Oh yeah and MISS TESBACHER!, didn't do it for me either.

Despite how unfaithful an adaptation of the comics, I have to admit I rather enjoyed Gene Hackman as Luthor, Otis and Miss Tesbacher and all. However, I would not be at all opposed to a more serious Luthor, especially if he has good writing and acting to back him up. If they can make him fun at the same time, then hey, excellent.

I wouldn't put down Hackman's Luthor as inferior or less serious then Spacy. We have yet to see the finished product and basing it on a single screenshot is foolish. We all know what kind of an evil bastard Hackman can play. Runaway Jury and Crimson Tide come to mind. Sadly the "Otis Factor" ruined Luthor's image into almost a comical version of Supe's arch nemesis. Oh yeah and MISS TESBACHER!, didn't do it for me either.

346596[/snapback]

I wasn't putting down Hackman's Luthor, or his ability to play the "heavy", but his characterization was rather tongue in cheek... more like an inspired, mischievous sociopath than an evil, calculating, megalomaniacal genius, specially starting with the second movie. Having Fat boy and Bimbo as sidekicks to Hackman's somewhat flippant real-estate-tycoon-wanna-be Luthor didn't really help to establish the character as Super Man's greatest foe either, IMO. :rolleyes:

I'll readily agree that we don't know what Spacy's take of Lex will be, and one screenshot is hardly enough to make an educated comparison; for all we know, Spacy could play him just like Hackman did (for continuity's sake), but the overwhelming first impression seems otherwise... foolish? maybe, but it's amazing how, more often then not, first impressions are correct. We'll find out in due time. ;)

346278[/snapback]

2) Superman erasing Lois' memory and then destroying the Fortress of Solitude. Without seeing this, it makes certain things in Superman IV quite confusing.]

Wow, I'm glad somebody else remembers those scenes. They would play the film in whole back on TV in the 80s I recall but then stopped showing those part roughly 15-17 years ago. Never understood why they were left out except for the fact some people didn't want to see the absurd albeit violent scene of a boy on a horse getting blown to bits by a thrown police car light.

Considering how casually he was willing to kill millions of people just for money, I'd say Hackman's Luther was pretty serious.

346610[/snapback]

Well, I always believed that the Hackman Luthor was more of a tongue in cheek type of villain; serious enough to tamper with ballistic missiles, but still silly enough to have bumbling sidekicks...

"Miss TESCHMACHER!!!!"

I'm also looking forward to the upcoming directors cut of the second movie.

So is this version actually coming out on DVD? I though the studio would not allow it? I'd love to see this considering all the crap that happened to Donner with this flick. As far as the new movie... It will kick ass! The trailer alone gave me shivers. Thank God real fan/directors like Singer are putting out quality films like this as well as King Kong and Batman Begins!!!

• 4 weeks later...

346278[/snapback]

346316[/snapback]

Don't forget General Zod using an M16 to mow down some Army troops in that fight in the White House too. That scene always stuck with me when ABC ran the international version on television years back.

Lindsay Lohan's orbs of kryptonite were reduced? Where? That is a crime, if I ever encountered one...

Edited by myk

• 2 months later...

reo9tu43u340537qo.jpg

Still looks like Superboy to me.

Cape is tucked in wrong in Singer's revisionist/classic attempt on the suit. Instead of the usual wide neckline and cape over the shoulders, Superman Returns is basically him wearing a wetsuit with a small S on the chest.

It should have looked like this

dw3kx.jpg

Edited by ComicKaze

I agree about the costume too ComicKaze, that's my one real complaint about Superman Returns as a whole. Otherwise, I'm really excited about this movie and I hope to see more movies with some of Supes more fantastic villians (Darkseid, Parasite, Metallo, Brainiac, Bizarro). Those are the guys I want to see up on the big screen.

Agree with you on the costume it too trimmed down.

The "S" should be prominent

The cape isnt quite right.

whats with the speedo briefs?

Will i see it? probably

Atleast, it takes place 5 years after the events of Superman 2

Thats the good part.

• 1 month later...