SW Battlefront 2

jwinges

So are any of you playing star wars battlefront 2? I must say I'm impressed. Its a lot better than the original battlefront with a pretty good plot. I'm curious though if the plot is now what could become the new TV series lucas talked about that would span the time b/w ep 3 and ep4.

So far I'm through ep 1-3 and am just about to raid pricess leia's ship at the start of ep 4.

The new play a jedi feature is pretty cool. but they are not as indestructable as what the reviews say. One shot from a tank or torrent and your pretty much done for.

Very fun game though. The space battles are awsome.

I haven't played much online but what I have looked and felt great.

So far I've played the following hero characters: Ki Adi Mundi, Ob1, Auro Sun (I think that's her name...the twelek), Bobo-FET, Dearth Vader, and I think I'm forgetting a couple.

I'm still a little unsure. I've been playing it since yesterday and, while it's still cool, ithere are some things I dislike about it.

1) Waaaaay too colorful. The backgrounds are now so bright and vibrant that it's kind of hard to tell what's going on at points.

2) The play is too fast. Now you can fire a blaster almost like a machine gun, plus the characters are too quick on their feet. This is a feature from Halo and Halo 2 which I particularly dislike, and it kind of sucks here. I liked how the movement on the original Battlefront was a tad more realistic in this sense.

3) The space battles are a tad weaker then I expected. When they said you could board an enemy ship and destroy components from within, I was expecting exploration of the ship, not a hanger, a control room leading off of that and then a couple other rooms with other vital components leading from the control room.

I haven't played the multiplayer yet, nor anything other than the story missions, so I can't give a full grade yet, but so far I'm giving this game an 8.5 compared to the original's 10. The new features are neat, but a lot was lost in the sequel.

I'm still a little unsure. I've been playing it since yesterday and, while it's still cool, ithere are some things I dislike about it.

1) Waaaaay too colorful. The backgrounds are now so bright and vibrant that it's kind of hard to tell what's going on at points.

Welcome to the new aesthetics ushered in by the PT. =T

2) The play is too fast. Now you can fire a blaster almost like a machine gun, plus the characters are too quick on their feet. This is a feature from Halo and Halo 2 which I particularly dislike, and it kind of sucks here. I liked how the movement on the original Battlefront was a tad more realistic in this sense.

Oh yuck. I've always hated gameplay that was needlessly fast and twitchy, following the simplistic philosphy that screams "FASTER IS MORE EXCITING!" and sacrificing the visuals and immersion. Battlefront was fast enough, perhaps just a touch too twitchy for my taste... bummer to hear the problem get worse.

-Al

he play is too fast. Now you can fire a blaster almost like a machine gun, plus the characters are too quick on their feet. This is a feature from Halo and Halo 2 which I particularly dislike, and it kind of sucks here. I liked how the movement on the original Battlefront was a tad more realistic in this sense.

I couldn't disagree more, which does make me a little curious, which version are you playing? I'm on Xbox, and I ran through a round of Galactic Conquest on the first one right before I picked up the new one, and I gotta say that it feels pretty much the same. If anything, the blaster pistols are slower.

So far I'm through ep 1-3 and am just about to raid pricess leia's ship at the start of ep 4.

Prepare for the ass-rapings. Which brings me to my one real complaint about the game... in the Rise of the Empire mode, the game goes from too easy to too hard in a flash, and the problem mostly seems to stem from the fact that your team has a limited number of respawns to complete each objective, while the enemy is infinite. Around the Tantive IV mission, your side is team killing itself with grenades while you're being over run.

Galactic Conquest is another mode they had to go and muck with. I liked it fine before. Now they had to go and make it overly complicated. *Sigh* Well, it's a nice diversion. Now onto Castlevania...

I'm playing the xbox version. Forgot to mention that it comes with 2 months of xbox live with it.

I agree that the game itself is too fast.

I don't mind the respone limit...I find it a little more challenging than just sacraficing a million soldiers. But I agree the enemy should have a respawn lnit also...however that would mean one could just find a hallway to defend, anihalate the enemy and then finish your objectives.

I definitely wish they would have put the control rooms farther away from the hangers. THey kind of just took the cheap way out on that.

The other thing I found odd about space play was that the frigates don't always have shield generators. Plus there is a life support (bottom front), and a sensor array (in back by the thrustors), that can be destroyed but do nothing for you. Your better off focusing on the shield generator, the bridge and heavy torrents. Then you have the crusers where you only need to destroy the bridge (it only takes 2 passes to do that if you try to match speed with it)

I like the game a lot and give it a 8.5 of 10 also. But I do like that in online play its simpler to hit enemies than in halo. Halo has kind of gotten pathetic in the number of hackers on there and those using lag to their advantage.

My complaints are with 5 things:

1) The corvette map doesn't make much sence to me, it's not very liniear nor is the layout much like a ship.

2)The Hoth Map is still much to small.

3) Some of the maps are the same as in the original Battlefront (I would have liked to see a bit of tweaking to the Hoth map)

4)The fighters feel to slow in the space maps

5)All the space maps are the same, a cruiser and a couple of frigates vs. the same.

One thing before I buy this game everyone, when renting it for XBox it seems fun and everything, but one thing Im disapointed in is the clone troopers from Eps II they are the same exact models as the first one and they used the same hoth map just graphics improvement. Was Lucasarts lazy or just not enough workers to hire?

I think they wanted to keep some of the same. The maps are physically larger than previous, and have more physical detail than previous (hillier terrain, etc.).

The Hoth map is the same basic layout. Mos Eisley is the same layout as well but has many more nooks and crannies to sneak around in. Kamino, at least in the story mode, has alot of added stuff.

But I agree the enemy should have a respawn lnit also...however that would mean one could just find a hallway to defend, anihalate the enemy and then finish your objectives.

Kinda like what they do to you in the narrow corridors of the Tantive IV. Or worse, when you have to defend the reflecting pool on Yavin for 2:00. They enjoy unlimited respawns while they think your ranks for the two minutes. I still haven't finished that mission.

The other thing I found odd about space play was that the frigates don't always have shield generators. Plus there is a life support (bottom front), and a sensor array (in back by the thrustors), that can be destroyed but do nothing for you. Your better off focusing on the shield generator, the bridge and heavy torrents. Then you have the crusers where you only need to destroy the bridge (it only takes 2 passes to do that if you try to match speed with it)

Which space missions are you talking about? The objective based space missions (which were a lot more fun) in Rise of the Empire, or the point-based generic missions in Galactic Conquest? In Rise or the Empire, you're better off just doing what they tell you to do, and hoping you have enough respawns to do it. In Galactic Conquest, I found the key is to use the pilot class for the regenerating health, grab a bomber then go for the vanguard ships first. After you take out the vanguard, attack the main ship until the shields go down. Then go for each weak point (engines, sensor array, bridge, com tower, and life support). You can pretty much ignore the enemy fighters, since it's first one to 180 points. Fighters are worth maybe 10 points, but you get a bunch of points for killing the vanguard ships and the weak points on the main ships.

Rented it today, and ripped it to my xbox  :lol:

So far, I have played a couple of missions.  One thing I definitely like so far is that the fighters handle like fighters in this one.  The aircraft in BF handled like crap.

342596[/snapback]

You ripped it to your Xbox? Lets not talk about it here :lol: , is the one for PSP any good it look pretty nice but I heard that controls were a issue. Anyone have this and can tell the diffrence between System and PC? Me and a friend just bought it for PC since PC you can get the most out of it and people make custom maps, graphics, mods, and etc.

is the one for PSP any good it look pretty nice but I heard that controls were a issue.

Control is a major issue, and the sad thing is, it could have been less an issue if, like the console version, they give you more freedom in customizing your controls. Instead, they give you three presents, and none of them quite work.

It does have me thinking... if so many people are insistant on bringing out shooters for the PSP (Coded Arms, Ghost in the Shell, Battlefront, Infected...), and the prefered method seems to be mapping the left analog stick functions to the left side face buttons, why hasn't any peripheral manufacturer made a stick that clips on the PSP and pushes the needed button when you tilt in the given direction?

Anyway, here's hoping the PSP 2 will have two sticks...

First of all, I completely agree that "Rise of the Empire" goes from very easy to impossibly hard way too quickly. Tantave IV and Yavin made we want to throw my controller at the screen quite often. There was a space battle with time limits that was pretty hard, too.

Also, I have a gripe about the layout of the "Rise of the Empire." It begins on Geonosis, as it should since that was the Clones' first battle. I got excited as the levels progressed through the prequels and also into territory between the 2 trilogies. But then the game ends on Hoth???? WTF???? We know they already have levels made for Bespin and Endor. Why didn't they use those for the campaign and properly finish off the the last 2 movies? Why arbitrarily end on Hoth, in the beginning of the second to last movie? AT least Endor is available at least in the Galactic Conquest mode (is Bespin?) If it isn't, that's pretty dumb. Why not just put all the old boards on the new game? They had the room on the DVD.

My only guess as to why the single player campaign ends on Hoth is that Pandemic just ran out of time. It's only been a year since the last BF was released. and even though they had a game to build on, one year is not a lot of time to finish a game.

I'm boycotting this game. Not to say too much Pandemic is run by fools and laid off all their best people that worked on this game (including my friend Brian who desigend all the best levels) once it was completed and keeping on the no talent hacks.

Well, after playing through a couple of missions, it seems like Battlefront all over again to me.

Granted, the visuals are great, especially the fighter battle over Coruscant, but I don't think this one will get too much play time from me.

I'm glad they made the flight part better, but no SW flight sim will ever take the place of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter for me.

Pretty fun game. I only played the first one on console, but I got BF2 for PC. Pretty cool and I like the space part probably best so far, where I use my Saitek X36.

I was expecting the PC version to be more like Jedi Outcast/Academy, etc so some of it's kinda weird, but still pretty enjoyable.

I'm glad they made the flight part better, but no SW flight sim will ever take the place of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter for me.

342824[/snapback]

Right on brother! Seriously, why the hell hasn't lucasarts expanded on that Franchise, the X-Wing, Tie Fighter games were the most fun flight sim type games in fact, I loved them so much that up until about a year and a half ago I maintained an elderly PC running windows 95 just so I could play them. They seriously need to overhaul the graphics and expand those games with a modern engine. I would buy them all again in a heartbeat and probably not get my butt out of my computer chair for 6 months afterwards.

Battlefront 2 was a dismal failure at last friday's LAN party. We found that we couldn't create a LAN server for more than 4 players, even though the server was set all the way up to 64 players (bots included.) The space battles were ok, but its painfully obvious that this game was developed for the console. If I'm sitting in front of my PC with a joystick, do I really need a key binding for "immelman" or "snap roll?" The graphics seem to be an improvement over the original game's, but they fall well behind current gen FPS titles. Where's my dynamic lighting, bump mapping, and so forth? My friend who hooked us up with the game is still hopefull that our problems are a bug that will get addressed in a patch, but I forsee this game making a one-way trip to the recycle bin on my desktop in the very near future.

Conversely, Call of Duty 2 ran flawlessly, and even on the lower DX7 mode looked better than SW:BF2.

Battlefront 2 seems to be a straight up console port and suffers because of it. The graphics look very dated and don't stand up well to current titles. Plus I understand that there is a lack of Linux server support which will definitely hamper the community in the long run...

Yessir, I'm using my Saitek X35/X36 and have just about everything mapped for the space fighters. I have the mouse/keyboard pretty much set to my Battlefield:Vietnam / Battlefield 2 maps so am back to wrecking carnage.

While all of the Jedi are pretty cool, seems to me like Luke Skywalker is the Bad-Ass Mofo... followed by Mace and then by Maul...

I've been playing this game on my XBOX on Live for a few hours just about everyday since launch and I'm still having a blast.

I even had to run out and get a new S-Controller because I practically wore my old one out. playing it Live is just a blast- a lot of variety between CTF, conquest and hero battles and I love talking trash over my mic.

I think PC is the best version out of alll, you get full customizations and ability to maximize graphics better then console. My computer cant play the game with high graphics but it plays it reasonably. But should I buy it for PSP or no? It seems fun to play it on the go, are the graphics any good at all? Well at least I got the PC version this game doesnt seem bad, all though on Electronic Gaming Monthly they said that Battlefront II is still its that it can be more realistic of a game well something like that, a few more things and it coulda been a better game something like BFII. I still enjoy this game the gameplay is fun with the new additions and everything, can ya use Jedis in online multiplayer cause I havent seen that happen.

In multiplayer Jedi's, Solo, bobo-fett, and Jengo-fett can be played as hero's but the problem is that the person running the game can either set it for high scorer or random. Basically, its a crapshoot if you get a jedi or not.

Won't it be hard to play on PSP. I'm playing on a brand new 46" DLP screen and sometime the targets I'm shooting at look like dots... I can just imagine how close you'd have to be on a psp to even accurately target your enemy.

BTW did anyone else play the DEMo of this for x-box that came with EPIII? Did you notice that the target reticle was all off. Sometime it isn't there and other times when you do have it your shots go drematically right of what your targeting...talk about a buggy demo.