Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam A New Translation

F360°

I'm getting under 12 kb/s :( suckage.  I don't wanna be watching this 24 hours from now T_T I wanna watch it when I wake up in the morning and have a nice hot breakfast going "OMG! RASK!"

352221[/snapback]

It starts pretty slow at around 3kb then after a while it goes to around 40kb which it stay for long while. I then turn off my Peer Guardian because I need to download something from Sony,, after a quick snacking, I recheck my speed and it went up to around 85kb. So I'm just going to leave Peer Guardian off until I finish downloading this movie. I'm uploading at 18kb.

I'm at 97kb right now,, just 30 more minutes :lol:

It's all about high speed internet and where you are on the backbone as far as the download. I averaged 50 to 60 from the time I started, so total time was not bad at all for the download.

In terms of what to watch. Think of the movies like Macross TV vs Macross: DYRL. The stories are fairly similar once you take out the minor nitpicks like the whole Zentran/Meltran thing. It has all the major plot points, i.e. Hikaru as recruit, Hikaru stranded with Minmei, Roy kicking the bucket, Hikaru stranded with Misa, Max fighting Milia, etc.

I'd say watch the series first, it gives you a better appreciation of the movie. Otherwise, you'll go through the series later, and not like a lot of the small stuff they put in.

my speed picked up from time to time lastnight, it just finished about 20 minutes ago and I'm TRYING to find a way to turn it into a DVD so I can watch it on TV instead of sitting on an uncomfortable couch for an hour and a half......even though I did that with FF7AC....

I've got a DVD burner thankfully.....I'm trying to use this copy of Nero my friend gave me cause my Intervideo WinDVD creator wont take the file unless its in the proper DVD settings which I got NO CLUE how to do....suppose to be that VOI or wha ever setting yet nothign to convert it.

So Nero is currently encoding the video, probably'll be a other hour or so before I know what happens if it doesn't work I'm getting lunch, coming home and watching Zeta.

If you just want to turn AVI to DVD and you are willing to accept pretty good quality then WinAVI is your best bet. It is one of the fastest avi to dvd transfer I have ever used. a 2 hours movie took me about 30mintes on a AMD 2800+

Nero is not that good for encoding..

Nero I think was able to encode it after an hour and a half, but it wouldn't burn the DVD blank....I'll look into WinAVI in a bit.

I liked the movie, there was surprisingly alot of new animation and alot of the original story was altered which surprised me.

But I felt Lila's death was cut out of its significants compared to her TV death......sort of like Kakhazaki's death in the TV series to DYRL.....he dies cause he was slow but it carried a deeper meaning to Hikaru, but in the movie he was just stupid and got killed.

I was very surprised how fast paced the movie got but really slowed down and cramed ALOT in the last 30 minutes.

Can't wait for Movie 2.

I was very surprised how fast paced the movie got but really slowed down and cramed ALOT in the last 30 minutes.

Can't wait for Movie 2.

352435[/snapback]

I think the pacing has to do with the fact that the movies probably wanted to focus more heavily on some of the key plot points, for example, when Amuro meets Char again, and later on, the Four situation, her ultimate demise, and the fight vs Scirroco. I think there is a good chance (correct me if I'm wrong) that they don't even bother to show the second drop to Earth.

I myself watched the raw a few weeks ago. the first hour was WAY way too rushed(they could have cut out the lila part, and have been good to go). but the earth stuff in the last 30 mins was good. the asshimar actually looks good now, and i wouldnt mind a MG of it.

for the bad, the new charicter animation,and new animation in general is VERY jarring compaired to the zeta tv footage. The Mecha look awesome, especally the MkII and Char's pimp ride, the hyaku shiki. But the transition to old and new, is just well werid. that also being said the animation for zeta tv holds up better than i expected it to.

Amuro and katsu's hijack of the plane was great. but i wish now looking back, it would explain a little bit more in depth why amuro lost his fighting sprit(other than the fact he killed Lala sun). at the end of the MSG movies, he seemed rather ok so to speak, but in zeta as we see(less so in the movie,as it goes from frau talking to amuro to him and katsu jacking the plane) he has kind of lost his edge. also hopefully amuro doesnt get as jipped this time in the mecha department than in the tv series, a apparence by the Zeta plus would be nice.

That being said i am highly looking forward to movies 2 and 3. I wish they would have totally redone the animation for the movies from the ground up, it would make for a less jaring and better flowing experience, but otherwise tomino's definately still got the touch. it'll be intresting to see how the psycho gundam turns out in Movie 2.

They might not show the second drop since its mentioned that Jamitov is taking the war into space, which I found funny since in that series the Jaburo base was being abandoned for the Kilaminjaro base in Africa....yet it was never stated, just "Jamitov wants to take the war to space!"

I thought the translation wasn't bad, but personally, I'm not into that whole "You killed lila! Kisama!" .........we all know what Kisama stands for, but I think so many of us are use to the translation to be loosely around "Bastard" since its an insulting word towards someone saying "You" in Japanese isn't it?

If your gonna translate it up above, just leave it as "Bastard" its said SO often in the movie "KISAMA!!!!!" just say it "BASTARD!!!!"

That's how its recognized in Western society of translations. It sort of irks me off when sub groups add Japanese words into the subs....I don't want that. Also Doide I think was what Kamille called the Sleds...why not just call 'em what they are? don't toy with it....

I saw 1s episode of zeta tv and scrolled through the beginning of the movie, and noticed how corny the SFX were in the TV series.

And in the Zeta movie, they updated all the SFX like boosters firing, beam rifles firing and explosions. Heck even the MS "servo sounds" were changed. :lol:

EDIT: Slightly related, but anyone know why the vulcan pods are made optional in the MK II when all other gundams always had the vulcans in the head? MAHQ doesn't say anything about it....thought maybe there was a technical reason to make it lighter or something.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/z/lineart...8-vulcanpod.jpg

Edited by wolfx

...If your gonna translate it up above, just leave it as "Bastard" its said SO often in the movie "KISAMA!!!!!" just say it "BASTARD!!!!"

That's how its recognized in Western society of translations. It sort of irks me off when sub groups add Japanese words into the subs....I don't want that. Also Doide I think was what Kamille called the Sleds...why not just call 'em what they are? don't toy with it....

Yeh, I found that kinda annoying. Makes it look like they're speaking Engrish...

Slightly related, but anyone know why the vulcan pods are made optional in the MK II when all other gundams always had the vulcans in the head? MAHQ doesn't say anything about it....thought maybe there was a technical reason to make it lighter or something.

The Mk. II was never intended for actual combat. It was a testbed for the new toys (movable frame). Since it wasn't intended for combat, there wasn't a need to slap much on it. The Titans even realized that expensive armor was pointless in the face of beam weaponry, so why bother with it. They could add-on the extras later, but their focus was "Does the damn thing work?"

I'm just wondering if they'll end up giving Kai more of a part in the 3rd film....

Probably not. According to Gunota, (spoilers, highlight to read)

by midway through the movie, they're already facing Psycho Gundam. By the end of the movie, they've dropped the colony and Axis forces come in and save the day for Argama (ep. 32). I don't know if they killed off Roseamia in Movie II, so I don't know if they are going to have her story and the MkII Psycho Gundam (ep. 39..to 48 IIRC). Hickory and San Francisco were combined into 1 battle. Hong Kong became a lot shorter, and then we jump to Granada. In III, they need to deal with Axis, Gyrps II, and probably Char's speech.

The Titans even realized that expensive armor was pointless in the face of beam weaponry, so why bother with it.

352609[/snapback]

Someone should've told Scirroco that then. The O is definitely saddled with tons of armor.

352613[/snapback]

Meh. That didn't save him from being impaled by Zeta.

Edited by azrael

The Titans even realized that expensive armor was pointless in the face of beam weaponry, so why bother with it.

352609[/snapback]

Someone should've told Scirroco that then. The O is definitely saddled with tons of armor.

352613[/snapback]

Remember though, in space, mass is fairly irrelevant. The O was quite manueverable since it had a large number of verniers. An oh by the way, part of the skirt on the O had two extra arms, each holding a beam saber. So, not all is as it seemed.

Edited by kalvasflam

A lot of that space was used for thrusters. All that thick armor was likely purposefully deceptive to it's actual mobility.

Scirroco went awesomely though in the end.

Wonder just how different the finale will end up being in the movies.

As for Amuro, if they skip the 2nd drop to earth entirely I doubt Amuro will touch anything except a Rick-Dias. New animation for the Dijeh would have been cool, but I doubt there's room for it.

Maybe they'll broadcast Char's speech from the moon or something.

The Rosamia story and the Psycho Mk. II are also very easy cuts to make for movie 3.

I wonder how much of Jerid's mobile suit swapping will be left intact. I think he had the record for most Mobile Suits in one series. He used a lot of models from the Titan's inventory. The Byalant will probably be cut out, and the Bound Doc might still appear as his final suit, but that would be it's only appearance.

He went through what: the Mk. II initially before Camille stole it from him, the Hi-Zack, Marasai, Gabthley, Byalant, Bound Doc. 6 all together that I can remember.

Edited by Anubis

I'm impressed. It was a little rushed in some places, but they did a very good job of condensing so many episodes into 90 minutes. At first the new animation is most a bandaid to smooth over edits to the old animation where several episodes get smooshed together. But by the time they leave Jaburo its basically all new footage, and damn does it look great. I can't wait to see part 2.

I liked how they changed showing Emma what happened at the gassed colony by video recording instead of taking her there, and using the footage from the show on the laptop Emma was watching. Good and inventive way to shorten the time needed to show Emma that. Reccoa just said it was them who recorded it previously.

Overall I think they did a good job condensing 14 episodes into 90 minutes. It flowed well enough. You just have to accept that Camille was a natural at piloting and his skill progressed quickly in the Mk. II. Which if you saw the show is pretty much what happened anyway, just with more detail. A ittle rushed in some places, but they seemed to try to fill some of the gaps with dialog to help smooth it a little.

The new footage was awesome. The old footage even held up not badly though either. Much of the atmosphere drop was intact. I love that scene.

I look forward to the next two movies, and hopefully they'll flow as well as this one. I'm skeptical about changing the ending still, but we'll see how that goes.

Edited by Anubis

Its funny, I put the old TV footage next to the movie footage on splitscreen and watched the whole Rosamia/Camille and Char/Yellow UFO MS fight synced up as best as I could and the reanimated scenes really flow much much better. The reanimated actions scenes are just incredible.

He went through what: the Mk. II initially before Camille stole it from him, the Hi-Zack, Marasai, Gabthley, Byalant, Bound Doc.  6 all together that I can remember.

352660[/snapback]

You forgot the Galbaldy.

352953[/snapback]

Yep, so 7 mobile suits in one series. The mechanics probably had dart boards with his picture.

Its funny, I put the old TV footage next to the movie footage on splitscreen and watched the whole Rosamia/Camille and Char/Yellow UFO MS fight synced up as best as I could and the reanimated scenes really flow much much better.  The reanimated actions scenes are just incredible.

352943[/snapback]

I think it was a shame they decided not to reanimate everything. I know budget constraints and all, but I was disappointed at the fact that so many of the mech scenes were not redone.

I like some of the flow with the characters as well. I hope that the next two movies show more reanimation. Because honestly, for a movie, some of the scenes they used on the attack on jaburo was pretty poor quality.

I just saw it now, it was quite good i cannot wait for the rest of the movies to show up. the new animation was quite good, some parts look like they needed a few extra minutes of animation to explain why they were there, mainly the begining when Camille is in custody, if you have never seen the full TV series you would not know why he was being held. but i have to say i loved it alot.

So what percentage of the film is new footage then?

Graham

352791[/snapback]

I'll say a surprising 40%, pretty much the last 20 minutes is all new footage.

The 2nd one should have even more new footage and the last one will have 100% new footage.

352812[/snapback]

Is that actually comfirmed? 100% new footage for the 3rd movie?

So what percentage of the film is new footage then?

Graham

352791[/snapback]

I'll say a surprising 40%, pretty much the last 20 minutes is all new footage.

The 2nd one should have even more new footage and the last one will have 100% new footage.

352812[/snapback]

Is that actually comfirmed? 100% new footage for the 3rd movie?

353213[/snapback]

Nope. Not confirmed (rumor status). So far most of the work has been on the action scenes. They have only created new animation for dialogue scenes which needs to be compressed (like the scene in Movie I where Emma sees what happened to Side 2). Unless they completely rewrite the entire arc that Movie III takes from the TV series, I doubt it would be redone 100%.

(Possible spoilers, Movie II)

The first battle, which is a combination of Hickory and San Francisco, sounds like they redid most of it, since it is a compressed version of the TV version. Hong Kong looks mixed and since they are going to rush through Four's intro and it looks like she will die in HK instead of at Kilimanjaro (Unless, that is the opening to Movie III). The encounter with Psycho Gundam looks mixed. Amuro and Char's 1st conversation is definitely old. If Char's speech is recycled in Movie III, I seriously doubt it will be re-animated. That scene is pretty good as is.