Which primer is best ?

big F

I hope that this hasnt been asked before, if it has could someone point me in the right direction.

In the old days I used to use a matt white as a primer for my kits, on the whole I had good results, but some times you end up killing the detail on the model before youve pput all the paint on it. As Im getting back into models again after a few years I want to do it right. I have spent the last few years doing real cars and R.C car lexan shells, totally different to models I have an automotive acrylic plastic primer which is silky smooth and great for doing 1/55s but i think its to much for 1/72 stuff.

What do y`all suggest I use, please bear in mind I live in the U.K so mail order is probable as there arent many good modle shops near me and also I have converted to using acrylics as they are much better than enamels.

I've heard Duplicolor and Halford's and Motomaster are good. I've heard bad things about Krylon.

334828[/snapback]

I use the grey Krylon spray can. No problems so far. Maybe it's because I'm used to it.

Is it really bad?

My self and other modelers I know use $.95 ColorPlace primer. Can't beat it. Get it at Wal-Mart.

334914[/snapback]

ditto, it has worked great for me and it is inexpensive and in a good size can so it will not run out quickly.

chris

This isn't a 'best primer' tip, but I find myself wondering how different the primer products out there really are.

...because I actually use automotive primers fairly frequently (cringe), just for the simple fact that a little dough goes a long way.

And on a side note, I recently finished an imperial star destroyer kit, and used a somewhat light grey automotive primer from Home Hardware or something, and wow- it's friggin' amazing how well it turned out; it looks exactly like it does in Episode IV. (with no additional paint, etc. needed)

Edited by drkstar00

My self and other modelers I know use $.95 ColorPlace primer. Can't beat it. Get it at Wal-Mart.

334914[/snapback]

is it sandable?

335106[/snapback]

if i recall correct it is, i think they have 2 versions both sandable and non.

chris

Well the Automotive stuff works really well on Vinyl kits and recently I have used it on a couple of Transformers l have been restoring. It also works well on 1/55`s.

I think I will try it on one of my Hasegawa kits. Least that way if I mess it up I can still get replacements.

Edited by big F

I use the automotive stuff too. IF it has that special fan spray tip (different looking nozzle) it works great. Great price and doesn't hide details. I use it on ships especially since I don'y have to worry about water/chlorine affecting it later.

I'm really feeling the comments about a lil-dough going a long way. Primers and Paints can be REALLY expensive! Mr Primer comes in the tiniest little cans, which must be half-empty, and can run me as much was $9 each down in NYC Chinatown.

I like hearing about all these cheap alternatives... sometimes I get the feeling that recommendations of "The BEST" where the best costs 10x as much as everything else are just penis-lenght competitions...

I like hearing about all these cheap alternatives... sometimes I get the feeling that recommendations of "The BEST" where the best costs 10x as much as everything else are just penis-lenght competitions...

335507[/snapback]

TRUE!!

Go with what you know.

After all would you buy a Bentley just coz it costs more than you`re V.W.

It has four wheels and seats and can only legally go the speed limit so when you drag it down to the basics I.E transportation needs its the same. 7211512zm.gif

335507[/snapback]

TRUE!!

Go with what you know.

After all would you buy a Bentley just coz it costs more than you`re V.W.

It has four wheels and seats and can only legally go the speed limit so when you drag it down to the basics I.E transportation needs its the same. 7211512zm.gif

335583[/snapback]

Never driven a Bentley so I wouldn't know, I do know I'd take my BMW over my old Honda any day of the week. Now I don't even mind sitting in traffic.

IMHO the only thing worth the extra cost is Tamiya masking tape. It is that much better than other brands. Mr Surfacer is an exception, being that it's pretty unique and there isn't really a cheaper alternative "semi-liquid priming putty".

Primers---I try everything. You can experiment with 10 different hardware/automotive brands for the price of one can of "modeling" primer. And of course, sometimes you do find that cheap can of primer that is also the perfect final color. Still don't have a favorite, and actually still like Testor's basic enamel spray cans more than most. Cheaper than ModelMaster/Tamiya spray cans, but still a lot more than hardware/automotive. Still have to try Duplicolor.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Best thing I´ve found so far is Citadel Skull white in Spraycans, intended for spraying metal and plastic miniatures, you can get it in every Games Workshop store. Comes in black as well.

This is expensive but a can lasts quite long. You can apply several coates and all the detail is still there, I tried it on a VF-1 and despite a generous coating no rivet or hatch was lost. Works on resin as well but only if you apply it in very thin layers, guess Gunze works better here, have to try it out.