LOST: Solution?

I stopped watching halfway thru the second season becuase it annoyed me. Thought I'd pick up on the third season, but it doesn't look like its much improved at all. Quite frankly, I think its suffering BSG syndrome: the writers don't know where the hell the story will go. And oh yeah, "We're the good guys" Colleen should also add, "But we sadistic and so we'll shoot, kill, kidnap, and otherwise torment you survivors because we feel like it. But we're good guys. Really."

It's "Lost" most of its flare cuz they're answering lots of questions. So much of the mystery is starting to die because they're doing that. Granted it can't stay a mystery forever, but much of what made the show good really can't be dished out, especially with the direction the show is headed in. We're getting too comfortable with it. The same is happening to BSG. We're getting comfortable with the theme and style of the show. So it slowly starting to lose it's luster. I fear Heros will suffer the same if it makes it to its 3rd season. I've watched it this season but it doesn't capture my attention this season anymore. The same is happening with BSG. I wasn't really paying attention to a few episodes this season. I'm getting too comfortable in its characters and story telling.

It's "Lost" most of its flare cuz they're answering lots of questions. So much of the mystery is starting to die because they're doing that.

It seems like such a lose-lose proposition to me. Last year the biggest complaint that I heard repeated ad nauseum was that they weren't answering anything. "OMG, 2 much misterees," they'd write. "Y wont tehy explain teh glass eye?"

Now a season later, we're flying ahead in the story, with more information about The Others hinted at, when not ouright revealed, than we had dreamt we'd get in six short episodes. And now the complaint is "Meh....I'd rather see Kate's horsie again."

IMO, the first part of S3 was a marked improvement over the middle section of last season.

First season: Magnificent.

Second season: The middle part feels like filler… Really boring filler (still remember that horrible episode where the rockstar wanted to baptize the baby :wacko: ). I even missed and episode and didn’t notice it until I saw the rerun. “Lost†time developing some stories that didn’t go anywhere. Writers doing the script as they go along? Sure feels like it.

Third season: So far the focus returns to the original characters to restore what they “lost†in the second season. We also see the return of polar bears and “lostzillaâ€â€¦ which were almost 100% missing in the 2nd and now feel like fanservice.

The mystery but more importantly the whole situation and character interaction was what got me hooked. If they just hang unto gimmicky revelations and loose the characters then they loose me.

There is a fine line between farfetched and believable (and when you go farfetched with something that starts very rooted to the real world a lot of people will loose interest). The series still has my benefit of the doubt. At least until this season ends (or they return to filler).

I don't think it's so much of the lack of mystery so much as the lack of danger that has come about. Yes the Others are pretty lethal but they're not doing much of anything. And with the monster not doing much of anything, up until the last 2 episodes, it hasn't been a huge risk to traverse the island like it was before. That takes out alot of the suspense. Glad to see they're not afraid to kill off characters(that don't screw up their real lives anyway).

• 3 months later...

This episode proves once and for all that Lost doesn't have to explore its own mythology to be an entertaining hour of television. Complaints about Nikki & Paulo being "foisted" upon viewers now seem really stupid, since we clearly were never really intended to like them, not to mention the running "who the hell are you?" joke. And please, don't anybody suggest that this was some hasty retcon, just to give them an interesting exit. There was clearly a lot of forethought in N&P's appearances this season. Moreover, that episode was a virtual reunion for the islands deceased castaways, something you'd think they wouldn't bother to do just to kill off two annoying b-listers. IMO, the writers had had this idea for a quasi Rosencrantz & Guildenstern episode all along, and after setting it up for the first half of the season, we get the payoff. And that finale was one of the more balsy finishes Lost has done.

Like them or hate them, anybody who disliked last nights episode should be stabbed in the face.

That episode was purely fluff and completely predictable. Hot actress with an old dude? Hmm, I wonder if she's using him? Nicorette gum being chewed suddenly on an island? I wonder if that will give him away? The creepy scientist talking about the pheramones (sp?) of a spider for no apparent reason? I wonder if that isn't going to come up later? It was cute fan service to give us all a flash of all those dead characters though but otherwise it didn't mean squat. If that episode were somehow scratched out of a future DVD release you wouldn't be missing anything. That said, I wasn't really bored watching it, and it was a nice twist that they were buried alive. All in all, two useless characters are dead without making any impact whatsoever.

Lost is Lost. I'm still watching it but I realize that I'm watching it now as a soap opera rather than as some scifi mystery flick.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
It'll be interesting to see where the show will go next... I wonder if time travel was/is involved?

Genius idea Jenius! For my money Des's time-skipping episode was the best they've done in quite a while. I'm really liking the direction Season 4's going. The shorter season schedule doesn't leave room for filler episodes, so it's pretty much full steam ahead from now on, what with only got 2 and a half seasons left.

It's time for this show to actually start explaining some stuff, people that come back from the dead, black cloud, polar bears, submarines, The Real Dharma Program, etc.

We'll see. I think this season has really picked up and, true to their word, it seems like they've truly found the direction it's going to go. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this new stuff they've brought in starts to get connected, maybe during season 5.

With the whole thing about the Oceanic 6, and the fact that there IS a ship there, and Sayid has gotten off, I wouldn't be surprised if S4 culminates with the O6 getting off the island, and then S5 and S6 being a grand finale where some, or all, of them go back and everything comes together.

Then again, maybe not.

From the sound of things, this season will focus on the Oceanic 6, how they got off, etc.... as well as what is going on with those that stayed behind. Basically, filling in the gap of what happened until we reach last season's finale.

With the whole thing about the Oceanic 6, and the fact that there IS a ship there, and Sayid has gotten off, I wouldn't be surprised if S4 culminates with the O6 getting off the island, and then S5 and S6 being a grand finale where some, or all, of them go back and everything comes together.

Then again, maybe not.

According to the producers, S4 is aobut how they get off, S5 is all about trying to get back to the Island and why, and S6 will be what happens when they do get back.

I still love this show....here's what I think about this season so far:

The Doppleganger Flight 815 at the bottom of the ocean reminds me of that Kris Kristofferson movie from the 80's called Millenium, where people from the future were snatching planes and filling them with dead bodies and sending them back through time

From the Flash Forwards, I'll have to say judging by his hitman agenda, that Sayid's pimp hand is strong. Can't believe he's working for the bug eyed rat bastard though.

Asian John Leguzamo is annoying. I liked how when he asked for 3.2 million dollars, ben said "why not 3.3 or 3.4?"

Jack is a bad half uncle not wanting to see his half nephew

Yeah, the Desmond episode got pretty nutty with the time travel thing, but it was pretty cool.

Last nights ep...poor Juliet always being manipulated by ben...interesting reveal about her and Goodwin. Very interesting about Widmore wanting to exploit the island, but ben is probably bending the facts again

Edited by chowyunskinny

Very interesting about Widmore wanting to exploit the island, but ben is probably bending the facts again

Would you trust someone like Ben? Probably not. But he made a good point. When a Virgin Mary or some holy symbol appeared, people flocked to it. If they discover Locke and his ability to walk again, you can bet someone is going to exploit the island.

So if we take time travel into consideration, I dont think Miles (asian Boatie) was ghost-talking. I think somehow he can project his mind back in time and was actually talking with the kid that lived in the room. The pictures on the stairway changed after he went up, perhaps indications of a history change? Which leads to ALL sorts of headaches about paradoxes, but when is time travel EVER neat?

Maybe he got off the island and then passed away?

Although the date on the headstone said 9/22/2004 on it, the date of the crash, so who knows when

Or perhaps, he never left the island. That whole flashback of Jin threw me off.

I was discussing this week's episode with a friend, and she says that the sixth member of the Oceanic Six was baby Aaron who got off the island. From the episode when Kate was on trial, then made a deal and went home to see her baby. I thought I heard her call him Eric???

:huh: