Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

Hi everyone

Just to promote the fact that Mari is on the cast for ADV's release of Macross, we're doing a fan interview with Mari, where you get to post questions to Mari on our forum and we'll pass on the 10-20 best questions to her (or maybe she'll pick them out, we haven't decided yet) and we'll post her answers in about 2-3 weeks.

Go here to submit your question for Mari:

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...d=24&id=1448158

Holy smokes, Steve! You've waited over two years to finally make 1 post on the board. :p

Thanks for the heads up about you guys taking questions for Mari. :)

Sigh...to anyone reading some of the posts in this thread...I don't represent the people making them. I have no desire to (censored) your (censored) till (censored) pours out... and so on. I accept the olive branch that Mr. Yun held out and may participate in sending a question to Mari Iijima. I may have to do it under an assumed name, thanks to certain comments from a party whom shall remain nameless. Maturity, why hast thou forsaken us?

Edited by Pat Payne

"So tell me Mari, what do you think of the yamato 1/48, is this an accurate rendition of the vf1 more than the toynami version from the tv show? Also what do you think of the aged hikaru and old minmay in robotech sentinels? Should the character have been kept alive in macross world rather than die mysteriously so you could continue to be her" ..." ooops "

*user banned by robotech nazis for mentioning anything to do with macross related merchandise not aproved by harmony gold*

:D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I bet Steve, Tom and Tommy are having a good time reading this thread.

340233[/snapback]

How about we laugh at the questions on that site instead?

actual question:

1) Mari, how will you cope with American fans' intense hatred (bordering on bloodlust) for the character of Minmay?

2) Mari, who was the bigger traitor: Gloval or Emerson?

3) Mari, do you think Ray should have shot Stick at the end of Mospeada?

See, that's what I mean by ignorance... Half of them don't know the true events in Macross and mix robotech's world with SDF:macross. Have pity for them. Once they have a chance to see the real version, more will know the proper version of events and defect from the alternate robotech universe. Like the guy in ghost in the shell who had his memory altered by the hackers, believing in an alternate world with false memories implanted into his mind, there needs to be a buffer for when he can awaken to true events. And because there are more fans of robotech on there, the more the confusion about macross will spread in new generations. In the long term the effects can be very damaging.

I would personally like to hear the english version lyrics of kyun kyun kyun kyun as sang in macross plus. But this time by mari. :D

Kyun-kyun! kyun-kyun!

My Boyfriend is a Pilot now, ....He's a Pilot now!

*joking*

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I bet Steve, Tom and Tommy are having a good time reading this thread.

340233[/snapback]

How about we laugh at the questions on that site instead?

actual question:

1) Mari, how will you cope with American fans' intense hatred (bordering on bloodlust) for the character of Minmay?

2) Mari, who was the bigger traitor: Gloval or Emerson?

3) Mari, do you think Ray should have shot Stick at the end of Mospeada?

340347[/snapback]

Question one could have been phrased better. Questions 2 and three are from a guy who can kindly take the Spock ears off now. (Of course, I'm writing this in a toga, so I'm not one to talk. :D) Hopefully, that's not the caliber of questions they're getting across the board.

1) Mari, do you think Macross should have focused on actual combat scenes rather than song-and-dance routines?

2) Mari, do you agree that the idea of a magical singing girl was a weak point of Macross' plot?

those first two questions are great. Macek himself admitted that the whole singing thing was a weakness of the show.

I dont know why, but i got kind of mad by this. I think the music and song and dance was VERY important to the themes of macross. If you look at the the symbolism behind the anime. The music and the love triangle was clearly repesentative of "love" and the zentraedi and fighting were represented as the theme "war". And altogether Macross whole theme was "love AND war" Not just the fighting as Robotech would have liked. Why would you even be asking the SINGER that? Pfft sorry im done ranting.

Edited by anim3vboi

1) Mari, do you think Macross should have focused on actual combat scenes rather than song-and-dance routines?

2) Mari, do you agree that the idea of a magical singing girl was a weak point of Macross' plot?

those first two questions are great. Macek himself admitted that the whole singing thing was a weakness of the show.

I dont know why, but i got kind of mad by this. I think the music and song and dance was VERY important to the themes of macross. If you look at the the symbolism behind the anime. The music and the love triangle was clearly repesentative of "love" and the zentraedi and fighting were represented as the theme "war". And altogether Macross whole theme was "love AND war" Not just the fighting as Robotech would have liked. Why would you even be asking the SINGER that? Pfft sorry im done ranting.

340363[/snapback]

I'm starting to wonder, maybe in a VERY limited way, Roy was right. I'm not sure some of those people get the point of Macross. They look at it as a mecha-fest when it was actually a bit more philosophical that robots waling on each other.

340363[/snapback]

I'm starting to wonder, maybe in a VERY limited way, Roy was right. I'm not sure some of those people get the point of Macross. They look at it as a mecha-fest when it was actually a bit more philosophical that robots waling on each other.

340365[/snapback]

Gazzards. <_< Macross is so much more than that.

340363[/snapback]

340365[/snapback]

Gazzards. <_< Macross is so much more than that.

340372[/snapback]

Yeah, but when we were kids we liked it especially because of the cool looking robots waling on each other. Many of us didn't even know what the word philosophy meant. Years have past and people see more meaning in Macross whereas stuff like GiJoe and Transformers just pushes the nostalgia button (if anything). As time passes some new fans will get it others will not, just as it happened with us.

Thankfully, that's not the majority of questions being asked (there are some more intelligent ones). Here are some of those questions will probably get the tongue-&-cheek response.

Like this:

3-Who do you feel Hikaru should have really ended up with?
5-How does it feel to continue to be so hot!
and for all those dirty, dirty boys out there: Hey baby! What's your sizes?

You have to remember, many people will continue to see Macross through Robotech's eyes. It's all about mechs. When they will see beyond that...well, that's not for you or me to say.

Gazzards.  <_< Macross is so much more than that.

340372[/snapback]

Yeah, but when we were kids we liked it especially because of the cool looking robots waling on each other. Many of us didn't even know what the word philosophy meant. Years have past and people see more meaning in Macross whereas stuff like GiJoe and Transformers just pushes the nostalgia button (if anything). As time passes some new fans will get it others will not, just as it happened with us.

340381[/snapback]

That's why I don't get into Transformers anymore, and continue to endorse and recommend Macross as one of the best old school anime around.

Edited by kensei

Yeah, I think that question kinda steps over the line. Big time. :blink:

Like, there's this barrier of common decency right? This guy went through it. Doubled back. Went through it again, and just kept on going.

Edited by Wesker99

Like, there's this barrier of common decency right? This guy went through it. Doubled back. Went through it again, and just kept on going.

340424[/snapback]

This guy is either some horny teenage pervoid, a drunk fratboy, or a 30-or more-something who got stuck at puberty. Really, she's an accomplished singer, songwriter and actress, and all he can do is inquire about her bust size? I wish some of these jerks would realize that they're directing questions at Mari Iijima and not AI Iijima.

Personally, I'd ask questions like:

1. Given your acting roles in both Japanese and American productions, how do the two styles differ, in your opinion?

Or:

2. Who were your greatest musical influences?

Edited by Pat Payne

340424[/snapback]

This guy is either some horny teenage pervoid or a 30-or more-something who got stuck at puberty.

340425[/snapback]

and should be neutered

340424[/snapback]

This guy is either some horny teenage pervoid or a 30-or more-something who got stuck at puberty.

340425[/snapback]

and should be neutered

340428[/snapback]

Says he with the raunchy Kermit avatar :p:D :D

340424[/snapback]

340425[/snapback]

and should be neutered

340428[/snapback]

As I said, it's a tongue-and-cheek question. I don't expect it to be acknowledge...let alone answered....

340424[/snapback]

340425[/snapback]

and should be neutered

340428[/snapback]

Says he with the raunchy Kermit avatar :p:D :D

340429[/snapback]

no puppets were harmed in the avatar

340363[/snapback]

Of course, the person writing those questions also said "Macek himself admitted" the singing was a weakness. That "himself" implies Macek was the creator of the show, as opposed to some guy that happened to be working with the comapny that got the localization rights.

Which goes back to the whole "poor confused Robotechies" argument.

I'm having a real difficult time grasping the concept that Mari has agreed to be the english voice of Minmay.....I'm dreaming right?

340547[/snapback]

Yes. The fact that Sean Connery is playing Global and you're singing backup for Sharon and haven't realized your naked yet should've given it away.

you weren't suppose to give that away.......now I'm embarassed.

340586[/snapback]

Then, his work is done. :p

Questions Mari Is Likely To See At RT.com

- How can Max fly a plane and wear glasses at the same time. Doesn't the AirForce have standards? I mean shouldn't he be wearing contacts?

- Do you like soup? Would you eat soup made from a 40 foot long tuna in real life?

- I think my girlfriend is cheating on me. And shes SOOOOO much like Minmei. Except shes not pretty. And shes not as thin as Minmei. And her eyebrows make me think of McDonalds and seagulls at the beach. But other than those minor things, she is like totally like Minmei. Can you give me advice on if I should be ok with her cheating on me?

340603[/snapback]

I don't think we have to worry about her actually seeing those questions. From what I could gather the setup is this: She's actually not going ON the RT forums, but they're going to cull the best questions among the responses and send those along to her to answer.

I'm starting to wonder, maybe in a VERY limited way, Roy was right.

Keep that train of thought it is the Royight one.

340763[/snapback]

Let's not get too full of ourselves, lest our head competes with A1's in size :p :P :p