VF-1D

captain america

just gotta say, you work hella fast. dunno what you use but dayam if I could work that fast...I coulda done and redone my 1D like 6 times already.

but I wanted to point out something....the 1D head looks funky. the head turrets aren't flat enough on the sides and not big enough, and the back of the head is way too short, and overall is too rounded.

Absolutely gorgeous, Cap. Could we possibly get a line scribed down the center of the heatshield? Was a bit of a bummer seeing Yamato release the new CF-1A without the correct heat shield detail... and one of the things that makes the 1D stand out is how its heatshield looks different from the rest.

My other critiques are that the disks that form the "ear" lasers seems much too small, especially compared with line art and how the head is interpreted in other VF-1D models and toys, that the head seems too short in back, and that the vent at the back of the head seems too large vertically. But the work's definitely beautiful.

-Al

The part swap is the least of what needs to happen. The 1D has a different color scheme than every valk Yamato has released in the 1/48 line. You're looking at a complete repaint, which often requires some additional part modifications to eliminate possible paint scraping.

I've started a topic in the For Sale forum regarding 1D customizations. Price is $250. You provide the valk and conversion parts, I provide everything else (including return shipping).

Cap'n she looks awesome, one question.  For those of us, like me, whose modelling skills, and facilities are limited, how difficult will this conversion be?  Are we talking here a straight out part swap where little mroe then a screwdriver is needed, or will we need to be cutting parts?

And on a related note, who wants to build mine up custom and how much if I provide the parts?

332434[/snapback]

murphy's law, when he's done Yamato will release theirs!, by the way amazing work on that capt'n!

332751[/snapback]

Ouch. Kinda like the brownie customs.

How come murphy's law don't apply with the Max TV version or Kakizaki's?

sorry if this has been asked but whats the deal with the 1D visor/eye piece?  are we going to paint it green? or are you going to make a acrylic green visor for it like rohby did for the 1S heads?   

BTW, awesome work cap'n and speedy at that!  :o

332818[/snapback]

*Ahem*...... http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...opic=16227&st=0

-The included eye-lens will be molded in clear green.

Well, I finally picked up my jaw from the floor so now I can post. Anyway...

HOLY POOP ON A STICK, THAT IS AWESOME! I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THESE!

Excellent work, Cap! And astoundingly fast! Hell, Yamato still hasn't figured out how to turn a VF-1 into a 1D, and you pull it off right before our eyes almost effortlessly! Keep up the good work!

I decided not to include the chestplate trapezoids on the decal sheet for two reasons. The first, as you point out, is that their actual size is an unknown quantity at present. Second, and more importantly, those sorts of details should really be painted on if at all possible. It looks like there will be great panel lines, which makes masking so much easier. I can add the trapezoids for those who are interested, but not until I have a conversion kit to work with.

Ana, I'd say you oughta add the trapezoids on there for people who want them, but I guess you really can't until you know the size for them...

332948[/snapback]

Forgive me if this has already been asked and maybe it is heresy to ask it at all, but.. I remember years ago when I bought the conversion parts for the 1/55, you had the option of buying the 1D head by itself or with the cockpit and heatshield.

For those of us with no money, would you consider doing extra casts of the 1D head and sell it seperately?

Hi all.

A quick update: I've poured the first mold, with the rest to be done by week's end. I've made a few (tiny) improvements to the kit in a few places too... Just to improve fit.

Re: head sold separately. The kit molds were broken-down based on the color of the parts. In such, to mold just head parts, I would still end up having to mold everything else, because parts are interconnected via sprues. In short, the 1D conversion will be available as a whole kit only, I'm afraid.

are there any pix of a finished VF-1D?

334254[/snapback]

That would be kinda hard, considering that there are no castings of the parts in existence yet. The pics at the very beginning of this thread show what the conversion will look like, since they are of the master-patterns. The neck parts have been refined very slightly, as has the back of the head. Otherwise, everything else is the same.