Anime DVDs -- is it bootleg or the real deal?

danth

Any tips for distinguishing between bootleg/unlicensed anime DVDs and official, licensed items?

Here are some tricks I use (tell me if I've made a mistake here):

* If it is region-free or all- region, it's bootleg

* If it's got chinese and english subtitles, it's bootleg

* If it only has the gold DVD logo on the front, it's bootleg

Any other good ways to spot a bootleg?

EDIT: I mean when you're shopping online, not while you're viewing the DVD. :)

Edited by danth

Any tips for distinguishing between bootleg/unlicensed anime DVDs and official, licensed items?

* If it is region-free or al- region, it's bootleg

* If it's got chinese and english subtitles, it's bootleg

* If it only has the gold DVD logo on the front, it's bootleg

Any other good ways to spot a bootleg?

330187[/snapback]

Yeah. Crappy translations for one. And artwork used on the covers which may differ from the official version. Also check the coloring of the disc. Most official releases are of the silver variety. Boots tend to have that weird gold color or purplish color associated with DVD-R's. And the lack of extras usually associated with first time printings. And so on...

Oh, for sure, but I'm talking about before you buy the DVD. I've been looking at stuff for sale and there's so much pirated anime out there, so I was looking for tips on how to avoid bootlegs.

330191[/snapback]

Buy from Amazon.com, you can trust them to NOT carry bootlegs.

Or shope at a place that has seperate "Domestic" and "Import" listings.

Far from all bootlegs are CD-R's, and most dual layered disc's are gold colored.

If the Artwork is lavishly done, great silkscreening on the disc, and it comes in a gatefold box, then it's a bootleg.

-Chinese subtitles is definately a dead giveaway, especially when english & chinese are the only options.

-Amazon.com isn't 100% safe either. When you buy directly from their online stock yes, but they're plagued with potential bootlegs when buying from their used stuff. Hell, take a look at the Beatles "Help!" I guaruntee 10 out of 10 of those new & used for sale are bootlegs.

Why did I buy a Macross DRYL bootleg for $15 :mellow: stupid stupid me <_< why did I buy? Oh well thanks for the heads up on the bootleg. Someone stole my $30 2 disc Macross Plus DVD set wasnt bootleg(japanese dub) and sold it a while ago :( too bad my only theory on who took it and sold it is my mean @$$ brother. One question what about the loads of Macross Zero DVDs on eBay how do we know that they aint bootleg since they keep using the same picture?

Dean

Edited by Dean

Hmm, did your 2 disc Macross Plus DVD set only have Japanese audio? Because if it didn't have an english dub, and or Manga Ent logo's, then it's a bootleg :)

All Macross Zero DVD's that are under $40 and have any kind of subtitles are bootlegs. All Macross DYRL DVD's that are under $50-$70 & have subtitles are bootlegs.

Why did I buy a Macross DRYL bootleg for $15 :mellow:

Because it's the same movie and you can't get the official release for a reasonable price until they do another print run?

And that you aren't hurting sales of the "real thing" because there's no new stock of real things to hurt sales of.

Why did I buy a Macross DRYL bootleg for $15 :mellow: stupid stupid me <_< why did I buy? Oh well thanks for the heads up on the bootleg. Someone stole my $30 2 disc Macross Plus DVD set wasnt bootleg(japanese dub) and sold it a while ago :( too bad my only theory on who took it and sold it is my mean @$$ brother. One question what about the loads of Macross Zero DVDs on eBay how do we know that they aint bootleg since they keep using the same picture?

Dean

330229[/snapback]

Ahem, if you're looking for a region 1 release of Macross Zero... they don't exist, hence by extension they're ALL boots.

If you're looking for a region 2/3 official release... well, check to see if it's region locked. AFAIK no official DVD release has ever been region free... there might be exceptions, but most are region locked by far. Also, they won't have English subtitles.

You could also track down the DVD covers for your region 2/3 release and compare. Japanese releases usually carry their own distinctive covers.

Edited by Akilae

I've noticed a trend lately on Ebay. The sellers are getting very vague about what they're selling. They don't always list the region code, just leave it blank.

Oh, and I've also seen bootlegs of some series that are direct rips of the region 1 DVDs. Often, the only way to tell legits from bootlegs is to look at the number of episodes per disc. A 26 episode series crammed into 3 dics is almost certainly a bootleg.

I have seen some really good box art before on an HK boot. It was almost indistinguishable from an official release. The best way to tell if is looking for trademarks and logos. If you get a Gundam DVD and there isn't one single Bandai logo on it, something's wrong. I've also found some bootlegs that have extra features too (one had more than the official release). You really have to pay close attention to the details.

This link might help too:

http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

The sets that always confused me were the mass TV show sets, for example, I saw the X Files, all 9 seasons on Ebay for about 100 bucks on the average with shipping. Its mass packed with 69-70 dvds in the set.

Nearly all the long running completed US shows have them on ebay now, Sex and the City, Buffy, etc.

Whats unclear to me is are these just direct rips from US dvds? Or these are made by some small bootleg group? Or is this bootlegging on a massive professional scale?

330292[/snapback]

To elaborate on what I was saying earlier, I will give additional info on the 2 anime series I borrowed from a friend (who thought they were legit btw). The 2 series were Trigun and Escaflowne. Both came in 3 DVD boxed sets. Both actually had the original R1 DVD menus, just modified to list more eps per disc (I know they're the actual menus since I've bought the legit versions of both these series). Both sets were printed by FX. The box artwork was first rate, the disc artwork also.

So, how to know if it's a legit release or not? I would say check out the website of the distributor/owner, whether it's Bandai, ADV, 20th Century Fox, etc. If they list the item you saw on Ebay, you're ok; if not, I would say you're looking at a bootleg.

Hmm, did your 2 disc Macross Plus DVD set only have Japanese audio? Because if it didn't have an english dub, and or Manga Ent logo's, then it's a bootleg :)

All Macross Zero DVD's that are under $40 and have any kind of subtitles are bootlegs. All Macross DYRL DVD's that are under $50-$70 & have subtitles are bootlegs.

330230[/snapback]

Why did I buy a Macross DRYL bootleg for $15 :mellow:

Because it's the same movie and you can't get the official release for a reasonable price until they do another print run?

And that you aren't hurting sales of the "real thing" because there's no new stock of real things to hurt sales of.

330234[/snapback]

The Macross Plus had the original casing with Isamu in his cockpit looking up and the back has a filmstip of patterns repeating I think, I didnt see any Manga signs or anything but it has ensligh subs and the subs seemed "ok" but I saw dvd_animation@yahoo.com a few times and when I like go to scene selections and play it it shows the dog fight scene going fast like fast foward. The case seemed real and so did the DVDs but I think the DVDs are bootlegs. So did ya think I should still be pissed that my brother stole it and sold it to some retailer for some price I dunno and that hes hiding it from me?

As for Macross DRYL do ya think its fine to keep it as a bootleg since original ones are quite hard to find.

Do ya recomend a site selling Macross DVDs at a reasonably cheap price.

Cause Im tired of bootlegs...

I found these links to Macross DVDs I think these are for real and non-bootleg just look at thier prices.

Macross DVDs

Macross Plus

Macross II

And this one too Macross DVD Set On Ebay

I know the Macross Series for sure not bootleg but what about the other ones?

Dean

Edited by Dean

So did ya think I should still be pissed that my brother stole it and sold it to some retailer for some price I dunno and that hes hiding it from me?

Of course. Go kick his ass.

As for Macross DRYL do ya think its fine to keep it as a bootleg since original ones are quite hard to find.

Depends.

Are you in the habit of doing anything that might result in the FBI kicking your door down?

If you ARE, then you need to get rid of it.

If you AREN'T, then keep it. No one cares. :p

So did ya think I should still be pissed that my brother stole it and sold it to some retailer for some price I dunno and that hes hiding it from me?

Of course. Go kick his ass.

Depends.

Are you in the habit of doing anything that might result in the FBI kicking your door down?

If you ARE, then you need to get rid of it.

If you AREN'T, then keep it. No one cares. :p

330447[/snapback]

Well I will take revenge instead of kicking ass since they suffer more and tend to go crazy over it since violence leads to more violence in my house <_< but I got my ways ;) . As for DYRL I might as well keep it now since its my only copy of DRYL my step-brother had an original VHS version of the movie imported but when he moved out he lost it among his stuff. Well at least Im aware of originals only work on Regions 2/3 and that bootlegs tend to work on all regions, Im suprised Frank & Sons isnt shut down since loads of bootlegs are being sold thier :ph34r: . The link I posted above had a Macross DRYL for $80 my best bet is that thats a original release of it still in stock at that on-line store. Hey JBO have ya ever bought a bootleg before :D ?

Edited by Dean

Legality being equal, why pay for something when you can get it free?

BITTORRENT POWER ACTIVATION!

*strikes cheesy pose*

330514[/snapback]

ROFL :D

Not to mention your money won't be funding some criminal organization somewhere in Asia huh :ph34r:

330521[/snapback]

Another good reason.

PIRATE ROBO GO!

WAREZ CANNON! FIRE!

To elaborate on what I was saying earlier, I will give additional info on the 2 anime series I borrowed from a friend (who thought they were legit btw).  The 2 series were Trigun and Escaflowne.  Both came in 3 DVD boxed sets.  Both actually had the original R1 DVD menus, just modified to list more eps per disc (I know they're the actual menus since I've bought the legit versions of both these series).  Both sets were printed by FX.  The box artwork was first rate, the disc artwork also.

330357[/snapback]

I have FX Gundam Wing Set and its box and DVD covers are excellent. The DVDs are even partly clear on the Wing logo, IIRC. Got on ebay for less than half the official DVD set price. Best boot I have. Havent bought anime ever since I got a new comp that can torrent.

Domestic prices..... :angry:

If an e-mail address randomly pops up during the subtitles, then it's definately a bootleg!

330530[/snapback]

Legality being equal, why pay for something when you can get it free?

BITTORRENT POWER ACTIVATION!

*strikes cheesy pose*

330514[/snapback]

ROFL :D

Not to mention your money won't be funding some criminal organization somewhere in Asia huh :ph34r:

330521[/snapback]

Another good reason.

PIRATE ROBO GO!

WAREZ CANNON! FIRE!

330698[/snapback]

Ok well now I know I got Bootlegs curse you dvd_animatio@yahoo.com and AnimeSource :angry: . If I had cable Id use torrent alll day but I dont got cable :( .

If the subtitles sound like something from Babelfish, then it's definitely a boot leg.

If it makes perfect sense, it's a fansub bootleg.

If it's somewhere in between, and/or has a corny sounding dub, it's legit.

Edited by Uxi

* If it is region-free or all- region, it's bootleg

There are exceptions to this rule. IIRC, the official Flashback 2012 DVD is all-region.

330779[/snapback]

Actually, it's Region 1, 2, 3, & 4 :), though there are occasioanl legit all region disc's.

• 10 years later...