MGS 4 : Guns of the Patriots

wolfx

I really hope Hideo doesn't do a repeat of MGS2 and not make Snake the primary character. I liked MGS2 a lot (all dog tags, beat every difficulty even extreme), but Raiden was extremely anoying and will never be as good as Snake. Big Boss in MGS3 was the greatest decision yet, I absolutely love that game and I wish I could continue as Big Boss.

Unfortunately it looks like that is the case. There is a Hideo interview on Gamespot and he talks about how much he likes Raiden and about how no one liked him. He goes on to talk about how he wanted to prove that Raiden is cool and that is what he is doing.

Its sad, but true. I am a game developer myself and I see it happen all the time. For what ever reason the developer in charge always has to put their personal opinion on the game. Even on mega franchises, more often than not the lead developer feels the need that he must change what was so great about the original game. I guess they are always trying to best themselves, but it almost never turns out that way.

I really hope I'm wrong and Raiden is only a supporting character.

I really don't care for the new MGS games but I have to admit that trailer for the PSP Metal Gear looks freaking awesome. I hope they keep that "living comic book" cutscene motif for the whole thing, it's quite interesting. Too bad I sold my PSP... with GTA: Vice City Stories and this new MGS game that isn't another Ass-id I might have to buy another.

Its sad, but true. I am a game developer myself and I see it happen all the time. For what ever reason the developer in charge always has to put their personal opinion on the game. Even on mega franchises, more often than not the lead developer feels the need that he must change what was so great about the original game. I guess they are always trying to best themselves, but it almost never turns out that way.

I really hope I'm wrong and Raiden is only a supporting character.

400467[/snapback]

I don't find this sad. I mean if I created a kick ass game , which happens to be loved by fanboys around the world, I'd want to make a sequel which propels the message or should i say my idea of the perfect product. Developers are like artists, same with movie directors. They probably never thought their products would grow beyond them when they 1s made it. Who'd imagine Metal Gear from the NES days is now a full blown cult video game series? I doubt Kojima has thought about Solid Snake as a clone of Big Boss until recently.

But he presented the idea in MGS, then this is where we are today. You could see Kojima's vision, or at least what he's trying to get at in MGS2, but as you and I know, it kinda fell flat for a game. Even Shoji Kawamorii seems lost in his ambitions in Macross and Aquarion emphasizing on his "message" but lost on the entertainment value. Maybe its an overconfidence thing?

About Raiden , i don't think you'll play as Raiden in Guns of the Patriots. But about Kojima making Raiden "cool", its very possible. I liked Raiden in his own way in MGS2, (although he was kinda a whiny spoilt bratty kid with an equally annoying wife) and with that ninja suit, Raiden can be yawsome stuff. ;)

I really hope Hideo doesn't do a repeat of MGS2 and not make Snake the primary character. I liked MGS2 a lot (all dog tags, beat every difficulty even extreme), but Raiden was extremely anoying and will never be as good as Snake. Big Boss in MGS3 was the greatest decision yet, I absolutely love that game and I wish I could continue as Big Boss.

400467[/snapback]

I don't understand what people's beef is. Raiden moved in the same way, used the same items, and pretty much performed the same as Snake did in the first chapter. If you don't like the dialogue, switch it to Japanese and use the subtitles.

I actually like how Kojima purposely make a point out of it to try to prove that Raiden can be very cool as well, especially when a lot of fans(U.S. fans) disliked Raiden. While a bit disappointed not playing Snake whole way through in MGS2, it didn't make me dislike Raiden. He may not be the coolest character in MGS series (Frank Jaegar would be on the top of my list), but not too bad. And when I saw the trailer at E3, Raiden really kicked some serious butt, and his ninja suit looks mighty cool. I wouldn't be surprised if you actually play quite a bite of him in MGS4.

I don't understand what people's beef is. Raiden moved in the same way, used the same items, and pretty much performed the same as Snake did in the first chapter. If you don't like the dialogue, switch it to Japanese and use the subtitles.

400485[/snapback]

As usual, non-Japanese gamers got shafted and english version of MGS2 shipped without a Japanese audio track.

Somehow certain companies adamantly refuse to include Japanese audio tracks in their games (Square, I'm looking at you!!) for whatever reasons, despite a lot of fans clamoring for the option of Japanese audio.

I agree, Raiden would have been a vastly different character if the voice had been done in a different way.

400467[/snapback]

400485[/snapback]

Mostly cause people would rather play snake....and also how Raiden is like a whiny biatch.

Whether it's the whining sissy boy or the grunting, over-acting melodrama of David Hayter, it's a no-win situation however you look at it...

Edited by myk

I almost wonder if the reason Kojima likes Raiden so much is because the Raiden that's in his head isn't the one that the American audience got. Japanese Raiden has a deep, booming voice despite his pretty, Bishonen looks, and the difference between the two is the difference between Macross Max and Robotech Max. Except in the case of RT, Max is still pretty slick and doesn't whine.

Who, incidentally, was voiced by Cam Clark, the actor that did Liquid Snake.

On the Metal Gear Series, anyone notice that game for the PSP that takes place after MGS3 and is the link between MGS3 and Metal Gear 1?  What makes Big Boss form Fox-Hound and turns him into the Big Boss that Solid Snake takes on in Metal Gear.

I wish that it would be a PS2 game rather than a psp.  I wanna know what happens, but I'm not buying another freaking handheld system.  The last thing I bought was a Neo Geo pocket color(love that system).

And what's up with Snake being put in the next Smash Bros game! :blink:

400389[/snapback]

That's Metal Gear Acid. Its a tactical turn based "card game". You get a buncha cards and you execute moves with the cards. There's MGA1 and 2.

400451[/snapback]

No, I'm talking about Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops:

Kojima Productions Special E3 site

Click on English, then click on MPO

You'll see what I'm talking about.

400455[/snapback]

Oops..sorry bout that...is MGA about Solid Snake or Big Boss then?

Just saw the trailer. Eva makes a comeback in MGO? I thought that "intimate night" was the last Snake has seen of her. :lol:

Acid is Solid Snake, though I don't think the stories are canon.

400553[/snapback]

You're right, they aren't...Acid is an "Alternate" storyline from the main "Solid" games.

Edited by Gaijin

The reason I say its sad when developers change the core elements of a great game is because it almost never works. It is ok to improve on the original design, but to reinvent core elements changes it to something else alienating your biggest fans.

I think there was more to Raiden than just the crappy english dialogue. For one he has a lot of feminine qualities, the face, the body shape. I think its Hideo's personal fasination.

Its pretty obvious when Hideo himself puts a character in MGS3 that looks excactly like Raiden called Raidenovic who is a Russian gay man that takes it lovingly from the main badguy. When you steal his uniform he is sporting some ridiculous thong type underwear. Obviously Hideo was making fun of himself, but that's just a bit much even though it was very satisfing to finally get to shoot Raiden in the face and kick his dead body.

I have to give it up to Hideo though, when I loaded up MGS3 for the first time and the intro cutscene had Snake in a Raiden disguise he had me ready to throw my controller at the PS2, that was damn funny.

For me the difference between Snake and Raiden is their character types.

Raiden was like a boy coming of age, which I understand for younger gamers, but it didn't work for me. The new Raiden isn't cool, Gray Fox is cool and that's who that character really is.

Snake is a classic spaghetti western toughguy like Eastwood. He's pretty much a complete rippoff of Snake Plissken from John Carpenter's Escape from New York. After all in MGS2 Snake even uses the last name Pliskin. If you watch the documentary on Escape from New York's special edition, Carpenter explains the character of Snake and how he is derived from those classic western tough guys.

Its cliche, but still badass at the same time.

Edited by R_Deckard

lol on the subject of MGS4 Snake. Get Clint Eastwood to dub him. :lol:

I loved going invisible in MGS3 and beating the crap out of Raidenovitch, then going around disguised as him and punching guards in the face then making them salute and thank me. :D

I'll go with Sundown here, and add in a cultural element: MGS is, among all things, a Japanese game made by a Japanese production team. The differences in opinion on what constitutes an "ideal hero" is VASTLY different between the two worlds. Raiden was very well received in the Asian countries.

He was? I'm not sure about that. After all, Raiden didn't even have is own............

RAP VIDEO:

Edited by myk

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
June 12th worldwide. The 80gig PS3 + MGS4 + DualShock3 controller bundle (msrp $499) is slated for the same date, I guess.

Gotta admit the box is sexy looking:

mgs4_ps3_bundle.jpg

Edited by Gaijin

Bundling MGS4 with the PS3 is a very smart move on Sony's part.

In other news, the US version isn't going to have the option to select Japanese voices, presumably because the game fills up an entire BD disc? :blink:

http://ps3.qj.net/Hideo-Kojima-Blu-ray-doe...g/49/aid/114921

Wow, if true (or accurate) that's pretty interesting. I don't care too much about the Japanese voices, because I think they've done a great job already with the American voice actors.

Bundling MGS4 with the PS3 is a very smart move on Sony's part.

In other news, the US version isn't going to have the option to select Japanese voices, presumably because the game fills up an entire BD disc? :blink:

http://ps3.qj.net/Hideo-Kojima-Blu-ray-doe...g/49/aid/114921

Gamers that want the Japanese voices can just buy the Japanese version right? Isn't bluray region free?

Yeah but if you want English subtitles I dont think they will come with the Japanese version. Anyone heard about the preorder deal that if you preorder mgs4 you can play somekinda mgo beta? Sounds like a cool deal to me but the question comes to mind about how they are gonna pull this off.

Damn, I was really hoping I'd finally get the chance to play with the original Japanese voices. But if the Japanese release does have english subtitles, I may import it in addition to the U.S. release.

Yeah but if you want English subtitles I dont think they will come with the Japanese version. Anyone heard about the preorder deal that if you preorder mgs4 you can play somekinda mgo beta? Sounds like a cool deal to me but the question comes to mind about how they are gonna pull this off.

That's what they're saying, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

wait...

50 gigs worth of game? on an 80 gig console? kinda makes you wonder why they didn't just market a dedicated "MGS4 only" PS3.

then they wouldn't have to worry about losing features or compressing files just to fit the disc.

and are they even planning to make an MGS4 expansion? that would be madness!

1-game-$500-console :lol:

joking aside, 50 gigs for a game is mind-boggling.

i suppose it's for all of the physics in the game? and it could be a really long & complex one.

i suppose it's for all of the physics in the game? and it could be a really long & complex one.

This is an MGS game. The only reason it's so large and long are the hours of cut-scenes and animated sprites talking to each other. MGS 1 and 2 felt more like movies that I ocasionally got to dd something in.