Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

@jzwolen That is a nice cel of SDFM TV Roy.  It was most likely was used in the early episodes when more time was given to him.  Do you have a douga, genga, storyboard, or timing sheet?  Any one of those items will provide additional details. Can you share more about the origin history?  Also, can you check if there are sequence number written on the upper right hand corner? 

I purchased it a few months ago from YJA.  Its roughly 11" x 17".   No history of it provided from the auction, no douga, genga, storyboard, or timing sheet.  There are no markings on it otherwise, but it has similar age features to my other cels.  My guess its a hanken from some promotional material, but I could be wrong.  I'm hoping you experts can help me out!

Have you had a look at it out of the frame?  As FM says, does it have registration holes in it or a sequence number at the top right?  If not it certainly is not a production cel.  Otherwise it may very well then be a hanken cel if we can find the image it was used for.  Or, I hesitate to say, it might be a fan cel instead.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j730036344

It looks great framed @jzwolen

You are correct, there was not much to go on from the auction description....my first thought was that it was a fan cel....however, it could be a hanken, but the image just does not jump out at me like other similar hanken images have done so recently....If I remember or if I come across the image I will let you know...

In anycase, your Focker collection is coming along nicely!

I would be interested to see it out of the frame.  I personally don’t like the esthetics of how it is matted, with the elbow and shoulder cut off like that, and it makes me wonder what is going on with the cel that they felt it should be framed that way.  Where those portions of the cel not finished?   I wouldn’t expect a hanken cel to have large portions of the character unfinished like that unless the final image was to be a closeup.  If those areas are not painted on the cel and we don’t find a closeup usage of the image somewhere I might start to get suspicious.  And if they are painted in, I would be suspicious of the framer!

Well there is no cause to be suspicious of the framer then. :)  You say it is about 11x17?  Interesting.  I have not seen a Macross cel with those dimensions or that kind of layout before.  I am at a loss as to what it might be.

On 6/26/2021 at 4:10 PM, Global said:

Some huge prices for cels at Heritage Auction

Macross cel sold for $3360.

23813041%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Mospeada cel sold for $1800

23813011%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Sothern Cross sold for $2280

23813003%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

This is listed as Macross 7 but I believe it is Robotech Sentinels  $3360

23813632%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

What do you think?  I was pretty surprised by how much these went for!

HA is definitely attracting quite a bit of attention from the Cel collecting community based on the final auction prices (plus buyers premium no less). Keep'em coming.

Edited by Oden

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Shawn Nice additions to your collection! Thanks for sharing. 👍

@jvmacross Loved the first M23 OVA character designs by Toshihiro Hirano, pity the production change direct with the other episode.
Find it rather funny the dubbed clip only use scenes from the first OVA. Makes you wonder if they too preferred the first OVA doesn't it? :lol:

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Mikimoto only did the character design for Eve Tokimatsuri. (For all 3 parts) Toshihiro Hirano handled the other characters in pt1. Yasuomi Umetsu handled them for pt2. and Hiroyuki Kitazume for pt.3.

Edited by Chas
spelling

On 8/25/2021 at 9:46 AM, Fortress_Maximus said:

The classic character designs in M23 OVA1 by Hirano and Mikimoto remain the most memorable and popular for good reason. When most fans watch M23 they fondly refer to OVA1, not the subsequent OVAs.

I liked Megazone 23 pt 3!! I endorse it, and it has a great soundtrack.

Various Artists - Megazone 23 III: Original Soundtrack (1989 Japan Anime Video) - Amazon.com Music

Also had the best garland...