Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

Well, I got bored of collecting toys, models and things. So what's next on the list, well animation cels of course. Though they do get pricey, I like being able to have a piece of what made an actual cartoon I liked that is original and no one else will have. :D

So here's a thread to post your cel collections. Macross, Gundam, Mospeada, etc.

And here's a few of what I have so far. :p

post-1065-1123639849_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1123639861.jpg

post-1065-1123639881_thumb.jpg

Edited by baronv

I have 5 cels total. Three of them are from Gunbuster. Follow this link http://www.toponeraegunbuster.com/Gunbuster-Cels.html to see them. I also have a cel From Macross (Zentraedi male power armor kicking a VF-1A Valkyrie in the midsection from one of the later episodes) and one from Black Magic M-66 (Nice shot of Sybil in the elevator with the M-66), but they have been stored safely away for some years now as I have not framed them. As for the Gunbuster cels, if anyone out there knows of where to get more of them, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

OTAKON WAS FRIGGIN' GOOD TO ME THIS YEAR!!

Look at what I found! I have been looking for a Jung Freud cel for ages and this one pops up. There was another running about $900, but the one I got was valued at $450 and reduced 50% off. There wer others, but they were way out of my wallet's range, even with the plastic I carry.

Image is supplied below:

jung-cel01.jpg

I have an Iria cell from Zeiram the Animation that I bought for like 5bucks at a small con back in 1996. It's been framed up in my room ever since I got it and in really excellent condition. Pic up soon. B))

I have 0 cels. At AX they had alot of nice Macross DYRL cels , Macross II, Macross Plus Cels, and more macross cels in folders!!They are pricey but damn they are rare and I doubt I'd see any marcoss cels ever. They had a nice YF-19 and YF-21 Cel it looks pretty damm cool. The most valued cel I saw was at the Macross panel and it was the SDF-1 from DRYL, its not a inmovie cel but its the design of the ship in color with transformations and etc, It was going for a mere 5 gram or 10 gram I wasnt sure but they said it wasnt for sale and I'd be nuts to buy it even if I had the money.They had another cel but if anyone that was thier from this forum they had the originial sketch of the ship the first ever skethc of the SDF-1 I didnt think it had a price tag and I presume its priceless any macross fan would die over this.Sorry if Iam going off topic a little but I just cant help it argh, when someone asked while vieing the models, cels, posters which are never going to be for sale which I dont doubt, someone asked how did they get all this they answered something like "Alot alot of hard work" cause they borrowed this stuff and noone can touch it :( ok back to topic sorry bout getting carried away I still have no cels <_< poor little me :(

Edited by Logan

I have a cel of one of the villains from Bakuretsu Hunters (I didn't watch far enough to know who he was, I got it cheap at Mandarake Torrance), a cel of Toria from Orguss 02, Fuma from X the movie, and a repro Project A-ko cel.

My recent acquisitions from my trip to Japan with my wife on honeymoon are: a cel of Wendy from the Psychic Force anime (never watched it, I just like the game), and a cell of child-form Hinako from the Ranma 1/2 OVA. The others are at my parents' back in the US. :p

edit: spelling and links to cel pics

dscf03536pa.th.jpg

dscf03556js.th.jpg

Edited by Sumdumgai

Well, I got bored of collecting toys, models and things. So what's next on the list, well animation cels of course. Though they do get pricey, I like being able to have a piece of what made an actual  cartoon I liked that is original and no one else will have.  :D

So here's a thread to post your cel collections. Macross, Gundam, Mospeada, etc.

And here's a few of what I have so far.  :p

318827[/snapback]

wow!! those are dope!! How much you pay for those?

:blink::huh:

Well I got a stack of production sketches and cels with matching painted backgrounds etc an inch thick from an exchange student whose relative worked on an anime back, hmm, 7 years ago.

i finally found out it was for that Cartoon Network show, "Case Closed." i guess i should sell the whole stack while the iron is still relatively hot. some of these are quite nice.

Well, I got bored of collecting toys, models and things. So what's next on the list, well animation cels of course. Though they do get pricey, I like being able to have a piece of what made an actual  cartoon I liked that is original and no one else will have.  :D

318827[/snapback]

322101[/snapback]

Well, just for the Macross cels, the cels from the t.v. show I've paid anywhere from $100 to $130 for them. For the DRYL stuff, from $100 to $215.

More stuff!

post-1065-1124691098_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1124691219_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1124691304.jpg

318827[/snapback]

322101[/snapback]

Well, just for the Macross cels, the cels from the t.v. show I've paid anywhere from $100 to $130 for them. For the DRYL stuff, from $100 to $215.

More stuff!

322210[/snapback]

so you collect the american cells too huh? Eh. I don't like them much. I only like the japanese cells. :D:p:lol:

Damn Noriko!  That's one helluva a find.  I'd have charged upwards of $900 for a cell like that.

322927[/snapback]

As I said, OTAKON was good to me. I really never expected to find any Gunbuster cels there. I just asked. There were others, but none of them were full frame face shots like the one I posted. I did see a large cel of the Gunbuster itself, but it was like $1500. I'm still trying to find one of Kazumi. Once I get a decent one of her, my cel collecting days are done as far as this series go. Gunbuster cels are way too expensive. I would like to get some of the mecha, particularly an RX-7 Noriko or Amano version. I found a Jung version, and I may get that one.

wow, I don't think I'll ever pay over a 100 bucks for a cell. Maybe if it's a cell that I really wanted, but max I'd probably pay would be 200 bucks. :D:p:lol:

Think about it this way.... Models, Toys, Books; they are all mass produced items.

There are THOUSANDS of VE-1 Ostrich toys out there.

How many Gunbuster cells are there?

30 minutes per Ep, say 10 frames a second. That's 108,000 cels total. Out of those 100k, say only 5% are interesting. That's a mere 5000 cels..... and EACH ONE IS UNIQUE!

Guys, lets face it-- most of us are ANIME fans. Thats ANIMATION. Don't lose sight of that. Cels are a 1-of-a-kind, real piece of the most defining aspect of this crazy Japanese stuff we all love.

I'm a cheap cell fan.

I won't go out of my way to get those expensive cels, even if they're my favorite characters or favorite scenes. I'll (probably) never pay more than $40 for a cel. I'm not a serious cel collector, I just get the stuff I like that looks nice enough to me, or stuff I can get a deal on.

I buried my face in my hands when Mandarake Torrance dissappeared, to leap with joy when I found they only moved, only to again bury my face in my hands when I found out that they went out of business and shut-down the store they had moved to. I loved their cel bargain bin. :D

Heh, I bored the hell out of my wife when we were at the Mandarake shops that had cel bargain bins. I took like half an hour per shop just rooting through box after box of cheap cels. Among the series I saw cels from were: Master of Mosquiton TV series, Super Atragon (oh yeah I could find cels, but not the damned soundtrack <_< ), Galaxy Angel, Ranma 1/2 OVA with Hinako, Ranma 1/2 TV series, some ancient lesbian hentai anime, a couple cels from some tentacle anime, a bunch of ancient kids stuff, City Hunter cels, some mecha animes (maybe gundam stuff, I don't watch gundam so I wouldn't recognize one), and I think some transformers stuff.

Oh wait, I also found a bunch of Macross 7 cels in a small shop in the shopping complex that Mandarake Nakano is. They had a really nice cel of Minmay from DYRL, but it costed something like $500+. The rest of the cels were crap cels of Basara's VF-19, or of Basara with his big trap open. There were a couple of M7 Miria as mayor, but they looked like butt.

For the nicer cels at Mandarake shops, I saw stuff from X the movie, some cels from Escaflowne the movie, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Tenchi Muyo stuff, Digi Charat, and I think a couple of really expensive Macross cels.

Great find Noriko! That's a beautiful cel! :)

I've been collecting cels for quite a while, glad to see other folks here share the same vice! Here are a few of my favorites. I apologize for the awful pictures, I don't want to take the cels out of their sleeves, the sun isn't out, and lastly, I barely know how to use this camera ^^;

post-197-1124982689_thumb.jpg

post-197-1124982707_thumb.jpg

post-197-1124982725_thumb.jpg

post-197-1124982742_thumb.jpg

post-197-1124982762_thumb.jpg

post-197-1124982811_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keiichi

nice!! I like that gaogaigar one! how much was both? :huh:

323243[/snapback]

The top one I got a few years ago, so I don't remember how much I paid.

The second one was more recent (like a few weeks ago) and I think it was around $37 including shipping.

I generally don't pay that much for cels...in fact the only time I've spent more than $50 was on a Star Trek USS Enterprise w/ background for my buddy's birthday. That one cost me around $75 or so.

-RF

My other cels...

LioConvoy (Beast Wars Second)

Cel7.jpg

Big Convoy (Beast Wars Neo)

Cel6.jpg

Cybertrons from Beast Wars Second

Cel5.jpg

Destrons from Beast Wars Second

Cel4.jpg

Big Horn (Beast Wars Second)

Cel3.jpg

Break (Beast Wars Neo)

Cel1.jpg

IronMan...

Cel9.jpg

Master Gundam from G Gundam

Cel2.jpg

-RF

Edited by Rider Faiz

Good stuff, everyone. All of my attempts to start cell collecting have been met with Ebay outbid notices. At least I have one in my sig ;)

baronv, I noticed that the first cell in your first post is one that's [benignly] bugged me forever - Hikaru's seat gets raised from behind the tailfins/backpack of the 1D. Neat score :)

Please post more, folks.

haha, up until this moment, I'd never even considered collecting cels.. I hope this doesn't become another nasty habit.. although, I do have no more room on my shelves.. :huh:

Baronv, that Voltron cel.... IS NUTS!

That's a real piece of anime history you have there.

322930[/snapback]

I know, that Voltron cel was da shiznit when I saw it was for sale. I immediately jumped on it seeing as how the VF-1S skull leader, a voltron robot form cel and an Optimus Prime cel were the top three I wanted from the get-go. And you never see a Voltron cel on sale anymore with a full body shot, only thing I wish was showing was his sword. So far I got two VF-1S, but I don't think I'll ever be able to swing over $500 for a nice t.v. or movie series Optimus cel. So I've settled on a nice shot of Lio-Convoy from Beast Wars 2 that I have, at least the face on that guy looks like G1.

I also agree on the earlier post that I find cels more fun to have than toys anymore. How many people have a toy valk or something like that compared to the actual art show on screen? Especially for a 20 yr. old series?