Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

I had forgotten I had this one.  Not sure what part it is from, but definitely not the first one, which I watched last night.  It was ok.  The music was by far the best part, and I enjoyed the character animation.  The premise was ok but the execution was a little wonky for my taste.  I'll have to decide if I'll come back to the other parts or not.Modat.jpg.7720bac374ead2304b5ed1cb0c13ae08.jpg

1 hour ago, Mokman said:

I had forgotten I had this one.  Not sure what part it is from, but definitely not the first one, which I watched last night.  It was ok.  The music was by far the best part, and I enjoyed the character animation.  The premise was ok but the execution was a little wonky for my taste.  I'll have to decide if I'll come back to the other parts or not.Modat.jpg.7720bac374ead2304b5ed1cb0c13ae08.jpg

That was pt 2; the red-headed stepchild of the trilogy. The tone is much more serious.  Pt 3 is a return to 90s anime with kitazume art.

I tried to watch Megazone 23 over the weekend...couldn't get past the first few minutes......happens with most of the anime I watch other than Macross......I guess I am not into anime....Macross is about it......and the newer Macross stuff is getting harder to get through with each new series..lol

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I tried to watch Megazone 23 over the weekend...couldn't get past the first few minutes......happens with most of the anime I watch other than Macross......I guess I am not into anime....Macross is about it......and the newer Macross stuff is getting harder to get through with each new series..lol

Tbh, MZ23 isn't terrific lol.  Watch some ghibli magic if you haven't yet.  Mononoke Hime or Howl's Moving Castle may be a good place to ease into it. 

10 minutes ago, de_005 said:

Tbh, MZ23 isn't terrific lol.  Watch some ghibli magic if you haven't yet.  Mononoke Hime or Howl's Moving Castle may be a good place to ease into it. 

I have watched some of the Ghibli films.....most I could not get through them....however, the few that I do like are Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, and a few others......

• 2 weeks later...

The original Megazone23 OVA had IMO the best character designs from the series. Unfortunately they decided to go with a highly jarring and different character designs. Japanese anime fans did not respond favorably to the subsequent OVAs.  Also it is interesting art from OVA 1 are the most sought after by collectors and command the highest prices. Must be a funny coincidence, right? :lol:

Dangaioh OVAs are fantastic from character and mecha design perspectives! Kawamori and Obari lend their considerable mecha talents. The character designs by Toshihiro Hirano are top notch and showcase his brilliance. The anime is a visual masterpiece IMO, however, the story is fairly simple. My advice just enjoy the awesome visuals and music.

Ghibli art has soared to the highest levels mainly due to increased global demands. That said, if you have not watched Ghlibi films and you can handle darker mature themes, consider Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, and Laputa. Note the art from these series are generally 25+ years old and are not in the best condition. So there is that little detail that may give you pause if considering jumping into collecting Ghibli art. Good luck and happy hunting gents.

5 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Note the art from these series are generally 25+ years old and are not in the best condition. So there is that little detail that may give you pause if considering jumping into collecting Ghibli art. Good luck and happy hunting gents.

It would seem that the condition of Ghibli art/cels, etc....has no effect on the requirement to drop several  thousands of dollars on even the least impressive pieces....if anyone thinks Macross art is expensive....think again...:vava:

Yuppers, Ghibli art resells differently than Macross artworks,

Btw, didn't even notice you were posting sold art & cel prices in another thread! 😏 Could you post the sold art and cel stuff in this thread instead? Thanks! Notice there is zero art discussion in the other thread, but here it is one of the main hot topics. Just a thought and request if you will.

Some nice DYRL cels sold recently. Good prices. Wow, even the DYRL I sold to ZenAmako sold for much more than triple what I charged him. 😛

This TV cel was a possible fake, Super Dimension Fortress Macross Hikaru Ichijo Misa Hayase - 42,000 JPY https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h576110679

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

1 hour ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Some nice DYRL cels sold recently. Good prices. Wow, even the DYRL I sold to ZenAmako sold for much more than triple what I charged him. 😛

I sold that cel on eBay to a buyer in Japan (via a forwarding service) who immediately put it on Yahoo! Japan at an inflated price (I didn't know they would do that).  I've noticed that there are at least a couple of sellers based in Japan that trawl the U.S. eBay for cels they think they can resell to Japanese collectors at a higher price.

I decided to part with that cel because it seemed to be deteriorating.  It had noticeable oxidation spotting, which I wasn't too concerned about initially.  However, one day when I checked on the cel I noticed that the sides had become wavy (although there was no vinegar smell).  I had a few options:

1) Quarantine the cel from the rest of my collection;

2) Ship it to Cel Oasis for however many months and see if they could restore it; or

3) Sell it before the condition got any worse.

I decided to sell it (for a very reasonable price), disclosing its condition, with the hope that another Macross cel will come along at some point.  It's a little difficult for me to quarantine cels in my small apartment, and I didn't want to risk the rest of my collection getting contaminated.

I hope for the sake of whoever bought it for triple the price that it does last for a while.   

On 8/30/2021 at 8:10 PM, Oden said:

I like the character designs myself.

Here are some sketches of  Yui and Mai along with a Flagger cel .

Megazone 23 Yui Takanaka038.jpg

That's a really nice genga of Yui!   I'm a pretty big MZ23 fan myself.  The original OVA is definitely my favorite, although I do like some things about the sequels - for example, I really like the soundtrack for Part III (even if the animation was kind of a train wreck).   A cel or genga of Yui dancing or a nice shot of Eve from Part 1 would be what I would want if I had my pick of art from the series. 

On 9/13/2021 at 11:51 AM, Fortress_Maximus said:

Dangaioh OVAs are fantastic from character and mecha design perspectives! Kawamori and Obari lend their considerable mecha talents. The character designs by Toshihiro Hirano are top notch and showcase his brilliance. The anime is a visual masterpiece IMO, however, the story is fairly simple. My advice just enjoy the awesome visuals and music.

I enjoy both Dangaio and Hirano's earlier Iczer-One for the visuals and the overall aesthetic of OVAs of that era (yeah, the stories were fairly simple).  Obari also worked on Iczer-One.

This gives me a chance to share some of my cels from Iczer-One.  :)

Iczer_1.jpg

Edited by ZenAmako

2 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Yuppers, Ghibli art resells differently than Macross artworks,

Btw, didn't even notice you were posting sold art & cel prices in another thread! 😏 Could you post the sold art and cel stuff in this thread instead? Thanks! Notice there is zero art discussion in the other thread, but here it is one of the main hot topics. Just a thought and request if you will.

This TV cel was a possible fake, Super Dimension Fortress Macross Hikaru Ichijo Misa Hayase - 42,000 JPY https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h576110679

The other thread just keeps track of random general Macross collectible sales...mostly from YJA...

Those recent cel sales were very interesting...I think some of them may have been "error" cels....for example, if you take a look at the one you linked...it is the exact frame from that specific sequence in every way except for one small detail......the cel painters forgot to paint part of Hikaru's right hand....I seriously doubt someone would a) counterfit that specific sequence or b) counterfit it and then mess up on the paint application...

The most interesting one was this one....and it fetched a nice sum

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c922537913

I wonder if there were plans to add additional cel movement during that final sequence in the film, but they just decided to flip back and forth between Minmay and Misa using the 2 static cels actually seen on screen....it ended up as a more dramatic effect I think than if there had been additional cels added to the sequence......maybe someone could ask Kawamori or Mikimoto someday

Edited by jvmacross

21 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

The most interesting one was this one....and it fetched a nice sum

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c922537913

I wonder if there were plans to add additional cel movement during that final sequence in the film, but they just decided to flip back and forth between Minmay and Misa using the 2 static cels actually seen on screen....it ended up as a more dramatic effect I think than if there had been additional cels added to the sequence......maybe someone could ask Kawamori or Mikimoto someday

That also appears to be a static cel (it's labeled A1 Stop).  It seems more likely that it was an error cel.

I have another cel from Iczer-1 that is not the actual cel that appeared on screen, but doesn't appear to be a fake.  I wish I could ask Hirano or Kakinouchi... 😛 

31 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Maybe...but it also looks derpy compared to the one that was actually used on screen....maybe Mikimoto felt he could do better...and he was right!

If the cel is going to be held that long on screen, it probably needs to look good.  :)  You might be able to get away with a derpy looking cel if it's an inbetween cel. 

2 hours ago, ZenAmako said:

I sold that cel on eBay to a buyer in Japan (via a forwarding service) who immediately put it on Yahoo! Japan at an inflated price (I didn't know they would do that).  I've noticed that there are at least a couple of sellers based in Japan that trawl the U.S. eBay for cels they think they can resell to Japanese collectors at a higher price.

I decided to part with that cel because it seemed to be deteriorating.  It had noticeable oxidation spotting, which I wasn't too concerned about initially.  However, one day when I checked on the cel I noticed that the sides had become wavy (although there was no vinegar smell).  I had a few options:

1) Quarantine the cel from the rest of my collection;

2) Ship it to Cel Oasis for however many months and see if they could restore it; or

3) Sell it before the condition got any worse.

I decided to sell it (for a very reasonable price), disclosing its condition, with the hope that another Macross cel will come along at some point.  It's a little difficult for me to quarantine cels in my small apartment, and I didn't want to risk the rest of my collection getting contaminated.

I hope for the sake of whoever bought it for triple the price that it does last for a while.   

Ah. Wish you offered it back to me at what I charged you, as I would've bought it back.

It is not uncommon for sellers to buyback a cel or even original comic art from a buyer when they consider selling. Often the buyer gives the seller a courtesy heads up and a first chance before listing online. Actually done this more than a few times. This might seem strange to some, but this practice is akin to keeping an interested buyers list, and notifying the individuals before listing. YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone's wallets a lot thinner this morning? 

Amazing Macross art once again via Heritage Auctions.....even more amazing were the final auction prices.....1000 USD was more or less the minimum price for the priviledge of owning anything Macross-related from today's listings....

A sampling of the more impressive selections.....

Macross Hangar Illustration - (Artmic? Unused ARII/IMAI boxart?)....7500 USD

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/shigeru-komatsuzaki-macross-robotech-valkyrie-science-hangar-illustration-peinture-originale/a/7257-51040.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|31

24564372%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

The "Hangar" illustration can be found in the Macross - Magazine for Anime and Hobby Fan ARII/IMAI booklets Volume 5, page 16 - upper left hand corner....so it looks to have been concept art for the Macross Factory kits....maybe once they had the actual lineart for what the hangar was supposed to look like, they commissioned Takani instead and ditched the "Artmic" version?

large.20200418_205933.jpg.34492a7be89dea

Macross illustration....(used in posters and other Macross media during SDFM TV era)...6875 USD

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/hideki-kakinuma-macross-makuroso-super-dimension-fortress-macross-regult-tactical-battle-pod-peinture/a/7257-51112.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|18

24564378%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Masami Macross Illustration....(used in various Children's books and Magazines during SDFM TV era)....5000 USD

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/masami-macross-makuroso-super-dimension-fortress-macross-space-battle-scene-peinture-originale-artmic/a/7257-51113.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|19

24564382%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Macross Destroid Tomahawk Hanken Cel (used in model kit boxes from ARII, IMAI during SDFM TV era)....8750 USD

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/shoji-kawamori-robotech-the-macross-saga-super-dimension-fortress-macross-mbr-04-mkvi-destroid-tomahawk-super/a/7257-51078.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

24564361%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

VF-1A Max TV illustration - Artmic (unused ARII/IMAI boxart?).....11875 USD

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/hideki-kakinuma-macross-makurosu-super-dimension-fortress-macross-northrop-vf-1j-valkyrie-peinture/a/7257-51111.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|17

24552338%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u