SDF Macross Licensed by ADV

How well does a twenty year old show sell to the Adult Swim crowd?

310344[/snapback]

I recall them trying with Mobile Suit Gundam... didn't last more than a few months, IIRC.

310351[/snapback]

IIRC, The original MSG wasn't on Adult Swim, just regular CN blocks of programming, presumably Toonami. I don't know for sure what time/day it was on cause at the time, I didn't have CN. But it was NOT on Adult Swim.

Old shows simply aren't marketable on Adult Swim because of the demographic it caters to. Robotech/Macross is an exception, IMHO.

But One Year War Gundam? Forget it...

311460[/snapback]

Yeah, it was a Toonami block show. IIRC, they pulled the series just before the last few episodes aired due to the 9/11 attacks (apparently, CN went ultra-sensitive and pulled anything that could at all touch a raw nerve). They later did re-broadcast the entire series on Adult Swim, but with little success.

Anyway, AS has had some success with their showings of Lupin III (i.e. they haven't cancelled it yet) so there may be some hope for other old-school shows like Macross.

Yeah, it was a Toonami block show. IIRC, they pulled the series just before the last few episodes aired due to the 9/11 attacks (apparently, CN went ultra-sensitive and pulled anything that could at all touch a raw nerve). They later did re-broadcast the entire series on Adult Swim, but with little success.

Anyway, AS has had some success with their showings of Lupin III (i.e. they haven't cancelled it yet) so there may be some hope for other old-school shows like Macross.

311532[/snapback]

Well, Rupan is on at like... 3:30AM on saturday/sunday night, isnt it? I honestly doubt the show pulls in any kind of numbers at that hour, its porbably just used as filler.

I think Macross/Robotech is FAR more viable an option, however, because a LOT of people who fit AS' demographic used to watch it when they were a kid/teen, or still watch it now.

Zeta would probably do much better than One Year War on AS, but not by much...

311532[/snapback]

Well, Rupan is on at like... 3:30AM on saturday/sunday night, isnt it? I honestly doubt the show pulls in any kind of numbers at that hour, its porbably just used as filler.

I think Macross/Robotech is FAR more viable an option, however, because a LOT of people who fit AS' demographic used to watch it when they were a kid/teen, or still watch it now.

Zeta would probably do much better than One Year War on AS, but not by much...

311556[/snapback]

Yeah, Lupin got the 5AM slot, Detective Conan got the 5:30 slot... <_< Booo AS.

Yea MSG Wing was on Toonami, cant remmber when but i know it was a couple years ago.

311509[/snapback]

Premiered '99 or 2k.

311573[/snapback]

It was in 2000. I know, because I was just starting at the University of Oregon (2000) when it premiered on CN.

Yea MSG Wing was on Toonami, cant remmber when but i know it was a couple years ago.

311509[/snapback]

Premiered '99 or 2k.

311573[/snapback]

It was in 2000. I know, because I was just starting at the University of Oregon (2000) when it premiered on CN.

311627[/snapback]

That was how I knew it was '99 or 2K, actually. Ran during my senior year in high school.

Hmm I already know a DVD set of Macross.

As for the dub...

I'm sure some people would like it with new non Robotech voices. Some might demand that a few Robotech voices stay.

I say if you want dubs you're a freaking moron. Great out of my face and learn to read.

:lol:

Hmm I already know a DVD set of Macross.

As for the dub...

I'm sure some people would like it with new non Robotech voices.  Some might demand that a few Robotech voices stay.

I say if you want dubs you're a freaking moron.  Great out of my face and learn to read.

:lol:

311647[/snapback]

Booya!

I don't know if this is true with anyone else, but once I see anime with the original japanese voice actors, I can't stand any kind of dubbed version of it.  I'm not gonna buy this stuff. :lol:

310072[/snapback]

I probably will buy it for three reasons:

1. I'd be interested to see how they handled it transfer-wise (I love Animeigo dearly, but they've got a ghosting problem on a lot of their discs)

2. I do like the cool info booklets that were on the Mospeada/Southern Cross discs.

3. From all I've heard, ADV's discs seem to be more robust (i.e. none of the cracking issues) than Animeigo's. I'd probably keep the Animeigo set as the "good china," for lack of a better term, and watch the ADV set more frequently.

The dub idea sounds interesting (although bloody unlikely if HG has anything to say about it, given their past stands on dubbing the three shows). But let me say this...I will pull out my trusty 2x4 of learnin' © ® (p) if they let Tony Oliver or Reba West anywhere near the studio. Hopefully, they might be able to (as someone on ANN had suggested) coax Mari Ijima back into the studio to be the dub voice for Lynn Minmay.

310082[/snapback]

Well she is living here in the States I think she is perfect for the job of a english dub version and in case they couldn't another Voice actress other than Reba West who can sing the orginal Minmay songs in english. And now that ADV has the license to distribute Macross how about releasing the movie version on DVD.

And now that ADV has the license to distribute Macross how about releasing the movie version on DVD.

311744[/snapback]

Not likely, since the legal woes that surround DYRL make the squabbles over the TV series look like a sandbox spat, from everything I've heard.

And now that ADV has the license to distribute Macross how about releasing the movie version on DVD.

311744[/snapback]

Not likely, since the legal woes that surround DYRL make the squabbles over the TV series look like a sandbox spat, from everything I've heard.

311768[/snapback]

Awww, Crap :angry:

You know what? I say we release DYRL? to the states. Yes, for profit. Seriously, nobody knows who exactly owns the rights, right? So who can prove that we don't? If someone could, though, then they would be motivated to actually giving it a solid release.

If someone decides to sue, you say? Well, that's what a fall-guy is there for, silly! ;) I nominate MGREXX for the role. His [hand jester " ]Master's Degree[/hand jester " ] should help him get thru it.

You know what?  I say we release DYRL? to the states.  Yes, for profit.  Seriously, nobody knows who exactly owns the rights, right?  So who can prove that we don't?  If someone could, though, then they would be motivated to actually giving it a solid release.

I think that's the problem, actually.

No one can prove ANYONE doesn't own the rights. So we have... was it 4? diffrent companies all sitting on their "rights" to the show waiting for someone else to move so they can leap like a pack of rabid starving jackals and rip them to shreds. Eventually, only one company will be left, and THEY can get a DVD on the shelves.

If someone decides to sue, you say?  Well, that's what a fall-guy is there for, silly! ;)  I nominate MGREXX for the role.  His [hand jester " ]Master's Degree[/hand jester " ] should help him get thru it.

I suddenly like this plan a LOT.

I think you meant gesture, not jester. But jester fits better anyway. :p

Does anyone really have a problem with Animeigo's translations?  I thought everyone believed it was a good one.

310987[/snapback]

It is, really. It's just that there are a handful of minor annoyances which rather than just being errors, were intentional. A Star Trek quote, some slang that felt out of place, etc.

Overall it's great, better than what ADV would do. But the little issues stand out because the set it otherwise perfect (other than color and saturation issues with the video but that's a whole other topic)

For the people who think they paid too much for Macross when it first came out, keep in mind that without those initial purchasers paying a higher cost to help offset the restoration costs, the set might never have even come out. And we got it a long time before people could buy it at cheaper prices, too.

311003[/snapback]

Where was the Star Trek quote?

I did have a couple of problems, though. Off the top of my head:

"L-O-V-E Happy Minmay"?? It's supposed to be "L-O-V-E Lovely Minmay". It did not bear well that they couldn't translate English to English. Though that's a very minor gripe.

The Misa rescue scene in ep. 27: When Misa hears Hikaru's voice she says something like "why you little..." Totally inappropriate and just plain wrong.

These are very rare cases though, and on the whole it's a job well done.

After Global tells Roy that they're to busy to search for Hikaru, Roy says something like, "I understand. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. I know."

A blatent referrence to The Wrath of Kahn.

That's the only Star Trek one I caught in what I've seen.

After Global tells Roy that they're to busy to search for Hikaru, Roy says something like, "I understand. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. I know."

A blatent referrence to The Wrath of Kahn.

That's the only Star Trek one I caught in what I've seen.

312139[/snapback]

Right, OK, thanks. I do remember feeling something was odd when I read that. I will watch that again and listen out for what he actually says.

312048[/snapback]

...Again, another reason why I majored in AE. :ph34r: Maybe Shawn should of thrown in a spell-check with the upgrades. :D

Tell me if he also added, ",or the one" at the end. That's the rest if it. I couldn't remember, but I don't think so.

Out of curiousity, were there any others?

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Hey maybe they (ADV) will get Macross 7 and dub it. Also Macross: DYRL and dub it(yes I know there is a dub already of DYRL, but it's pretty bad). Then they'll get Macross Zero and dub it.... Then they'll re-dub Robotech to coincide with the voice actors on Shadow Chronicles...(joke)

In all seriousness, money talks so they will not listen to anything posted on this site. I personally cringe at the thought of a dub to Macross.

"Changes is rarely good, but always different"

You know what?  I say we release DYRL? to the states.  Yes, for profit.  Seriously, nobody knows who exactly owns the rights, right?  So who can prove that we don't?  If someone could, though, then they would be motivated to actually giving it a solid release.

I think that's the problem, actually.

No one can prove ANYONE doesn't own the rights. So we have... was it 4? diffrent companies all sitting on their "rights" to the show waiting for someone else to move so they can leap like a pack of rabid starving jackals and rip them to shreds. Eventually, only one company will be left, and THEY can get a DVD on the shelves.

If someone decides to sue, you say?  Well, that's what a fall-guy is there for, silly! ;)   I nominate MGREXX for the role.  His [hand jester " ]Master's Degree[/hand jester " ] should help him get thru it.

312048[/snapback]

perhaps there is a way around this. REDO DYRL. new cells, CG up the wazzo! and licenced all legit. after all, if no one claims the copy write of the original, who is to say they can claim a remake?

i know there's a fault in this but... someone point it out... or wokr this idea into something better?

Dobber: Not any that they've mentioned yet. It's still pretty early in the process, so I don't expect to hear anything concerning a possible street date for another 3-6 months. Of course with all of the legwork already done by AnimEigo (who had BETTER get some credit!), I don;t think it';s going to be a enormous amount of time. I'd lean closer to three months, and then we'll have a street date in our hot little hands.

pensives_wetness: One flaw in your theory: If anyone makes a remake, there'll still be lawsuit-a-go-go. Granted, BW/SN owns the intellectual property for Macross, however, both Tat and HG have said that they have an absolute right to make SDF Macross derivatives. (They won't, because the other side of that nickel is that BW/SN have an equal right to make derivatives -- meaning it's a Mexican Standoff right now). Besides, you'd have to get Shoji Kawamori to sign off on the project, and he has zero interest in doing anything more with Misa, Hikaru and Minmay.

Further nobody has said that nobody claims the copyright. The problem is the opposite: EVERYONE is claiming the copyright to the show, and the courts have given it (pending appeal) to Tatsunoko -- or at least the SDF Macross TV series As for the rest of the copyrights, they reside, at the moment, with Big West/Studio Nue, although Tat and HG have been making plays for them as well, with little success. For instance, since BW was able to release Macross Plus and Macross 2 out to the US a decade ago, and HG did not [or, as they unconviningly claim, could not] challenge it, it is recognized as being owned by BW.

Edited by Pat Payne

perhaps there is a way around this. REDO DYRL. new cells, CG up the wazzo! and licenced all legit. after all, if no one claims the copy write of the original, who is to say they can claim a remake?

i know there's a fault in this but... someone point it out... or wokr this idea into something better?

No offense but that's got to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I mean really, to take probably one of the most perfect examples of hand-drawn animation and attempting to outdo it PLUS crap it up with CG would just totally rape my childhood.

No offense but that's got to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard. I mean really, to take probably one of the most perfect examples of hand-drawn animation and attempting to outdo it PLUS crap it up with CG would just totally rape my childhood.

313726[/snapback]

What if we made it live-action WITH CG? :p

313726[/snapback]

313733[/snapback]

Wasn't somebody going to try that at some point. I mean sweet zombie on a stick that sounds awful!

313726[/snapback]

313733[/snapback]

Wasn't somebody going to try that at some point. I mean sweet zombie on a stick that sounds awful!

313763[/snapback]

Yeah, it was some guy called Kawamori. God, what an idiot!! :p

313726[/snapback]

313733[/snapback]

313763[/snapback]

Yeah, but we don't know what it was going to be about because it never got that far.

Hey Renato, remember, this is the guy who's brain-child/bastard was Macross 7. I may like his mechs, but I wouldn't put much past the loon. :lol:

wow it was kawamori who wanted to do a live action version.  :blink:

I thought it was some american company that wanted to do this independently of him.  It has been so long since we talked about it that I don't remember too well. 

Guess you learn something new everyday :)

313942[/snapback]

Kawamori went to California to pitch it to some studios there. Preproduction began, but it never developed further. At the same time, he was gonna do an all-CGI Macross series.

In the end, he canned both and decided to do Mac Zero instead.

wow it was kawamori who wanted to do a live action version.  :blink:

I thought it was some american company that wanted to do this independently of him.  It has been so long since we talked about it that I don't remember too well. 

Guess you learn something new everyday :)

313942[/snapback]

Kawamori went to California to pitch it to some studios there. Preproduction began, but it never developed further. At the same time, he was gonna do an all-CGI Macross series.

In the end, he canned both and decided to do Mac Zero instead.

314196[/snapback]

In fact, on Egan Loo's site, you can see a pic of Kawamori meeting with the California production team. I wouldn't be surprised that the HG/Tat nonsense had some part in scuttling the project.

"L-O-V-E Happy Minmay"??  It's supposed to be "L-O-V-E Lovely Minmay".  It did not bear well that they couldn't translate English to English.

312126[/snapback]

Except in the actual Japanese dialogue they say "L-O-V-E- Ha-pi Mi-n-me-i" (phonetically rendered). The confusion comes from the sign in the back of the scene you're referring to (the one, I'm assuming where the three stooges attend a Minmay concert, right? :) ), which does say "LOVE Lovely Minmay".

"L-O-V-E Happy Minmay"??  It's supposed to be "L-O-V-E Lovely Minmay".  It did not bear well that they couldn't translate English to English.

312126[/snapback]

Except in the actual Japanese dialogue they say "L-O-V-E- Ha-pi Mi-n-me-i" (phonetically rendered). The confusion comes from the sign in the back of the scene you're referring to (the one, I'm assuming where the three stooges attend a Minmay concert, right? :) ), which does say "LOVE Lovely Minmay".

314712[/snapback]

No, I'm serious, they DO say "Lovely Minmay" in the dialogue, as well. Turn the subs off, or close your eyes from distractions, or something -- that IS what they are saying. Animeigo just heard wrong.

In fact, that line even became a Macross catchphrase. If you can read katakana at least, check out this site (the top post):

http://www.lynnminmay.com/bbs/yybbs/yybbs.cgi?page=30&bl=0

L・O・V・E ラブリーミンメイ♪♪

This one (about the middle of the page):

http://sotv.bnnm.net/huruhousou0312a.htm

L O V E ラブリーミンメイï¼ï¼ã€€ã¨ã‹è¨€ã£ã¦ã‚‹ãƒžã‚¯ãƒ­ã‚¹ã®ä½æ°‘ã«ã‚‚怒れãªã„。

This one (SDF Macross only gets three stars??):

http://03.members.goo.ne.jp/~member/hobby/...w&id=taby12@goo

ã‚ã¨ã€ãƒªãƒ³ãƒŸãƒ³ãƒ¡ã‚¤ï¼

L・O・V・Eラブリーミンメイï¼ã®ã‚ã®

ã‹ã‘声ãŒãŸã¾ã‚‰ã‚“ã§ã™ã­(爆)

Well, I can't provide an actual script of the actual show, but that's my evidence, after Googling "ラブリーミンメイ" ("Lovely Minmay"). Meanwhile, "ãƒãƒƒãƒ”ーミンメイ" ("Happy Minmay") gets you zero results. :p