Cant put anything here yet for fear of spoliering for our U.S bretherine. I'll post here after saturdays episode saying if it turned out how I recon it will.

Im thinking a little bit of Back to the Future and Bill and Ted shenanagons, plus bad guys. :)

You might as well put up details with a spoiler warning too bad for those who read it if you warn them.

Thinking about it myself again today, I still think its quite likely that the unseen enemy will probably be the Black Guardian. I think that there are very few villains who would want such a bleak fate for the universe. Apart from Sutekh maybe, but he is really unlikely. My call is that it will be the black Guardian played by Phil Madoc.

Taksraven

Watched it too. Kinda disapointing after watching the last episode.

Yeah, it wasn't bad, in fact it was quite a good episode, but I wanted/expected to see a

"So, Doctor, you are trying to foil my plans!" moment from a big bad guy. Instead the moment has been dragged over to the next season.

A single stone Dalek just doesnt' cut the mustard.

Taksraven

Just saw the Van Gogh episode in the states, probably the weakest episode of the new Who so far other then the very first one (where Rose is introduced, not of this season).

The occasional reference to you know who is a nice touch though. And the line about Impressionist Painters and identifiying the photo was funny.

Just saw the Van Gogh episode in the states, probably the weakest episode of the new Who so far other then the very first one (where Rose is introduced, not of this season).

The occasional reference to you know who is a nice touch though. And the line about Impressionist Painters and identifiying the photo was funny.

Didn't mind the Van Gogh one myself. It fits in very neatly with their "character-based" episode model they followed this season. And they couldn't tack on a happy ending either, which I thought was good....

Taksraven

Ok so the last episode kinda panned out like I thought it would.... sort of.

The lack of an actual bad guy who causes the cracks is a minor issue although it has been hinted that there is one and next season will bring it out. Maybe its just the universe saying "HEY!! Fix me"

I was right about the Bill and Ted style lets go back in time later and put the key/ sonic screwdriver where we can get it earlier, al la the Doctors use of the time bracelet to set up Amy finding the message and ultimately putting the deadish Amy in the Pandorica with the sonic for opening in 2010.

The Stone Dalek I stumbled apon in the Dr Who magazine in my local WHSmiths (newsagents) but I thought it may be a spoiler from the Xmas episode. When I saw it in episode my other half and me both said that we'd have smashed the stalk and gun off of it just incase. We all know Daleks don't stay dead.

The Tardis holding its self in a perpetual loop saving the Earth and moon kinda points to its asumed slight organic/machine origin maybe the old/new blue box has an inteligent heart.

The something old some thing new somthing borrowed something blue, was cool and fitted the story very well.

"A single stone Dalek just doesnt' cut the mustard". I agree I wanted 3 stone Daleks

Overall a good episode a little bit obvious too me plot wise but it is a kids program and I have seen rather too much SciFi in my nearly 4 decades. :)

Cant wait to see what comes next. Saturdays are gonna be dull for a while. Torchwood reboot anyone ?

I reslly enjoyed this entire season. Matt is the 1st actor, IMHO, that has truly taken posesion of the character and put his stamp on it since Tom Baker.

As for the reboot of Torchwood didn't you hear the reference RiverSong made? "We meet soon, and that's when it all changes."

We'll see where it goes from here in 6 months.

Cant wait to see what comes next. Saturdays are gonna be dull for a while. Torchwood reboot anyone ?

Man, I let out an audible "Woo Hoo!" when I read that Barrowman and Myles signed on for a Torchwood continuation. Apparently it's going to be a worldwide affair instead of being based in Cardiff. I'm wondering who they'll get to fill out the team though. I've got my fingers crossed for a Ianto return. Sure he's dead, but that's never stopped them before. :)

Man, I let out an audible "Woo Hoo!" when I read that Barrowman and Myles signed on for a Torchwood continuation. Apparently it's going to be a worldwide affair instead of being based in Cardiff. I'm wondering who they'll get to fill out the team though. I've got my fingers crossed for a Ianto return. Sure he's dead, but that's never stopped them before. smile.gif

Yeah a dash of time travel trickery, a bit of changes due to the

Universe re-boot

and Bob is your mothers brother again.

There is more to the world than Cardiff, although Cardiff is nice smile.gif

Edited by big F

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit that I have not enjoyed this season of Doctor Who at all. Most of the episodes I saw felt like something was missing and I don't like the Doctor's new traveling partner, however this past episode was friggin AWESOME!!! It's like it took an entire season for the show to finally get going! NOW I'm hooked again!!! I hope he dumps Amy and takes Dr.Song instead, She's HOT!!!!

Edited by aerocombatpilot

There is to be another Doctor Who Prom [1] this weekend, Saturday 24th & 25th July at the Royal Albert Hall, once again featuring music from the show plus a few classical pieces. Its being broadcast on one of the BBCs satellite radio channels and the event will be filmed for future broadcast at a later date.

[1] Just to avoid any cross-cultural confusion, "The Proms" is an annual British showcase of (mostly) classical music, so banish any thoughts of Daleks in badly-chosen tuxedos mooching in the locker room because they couldn't get a date with the leader of the Skaro cheer-leading squad [2]... :)

[2] "Give me an E! Give me a X! Give me a T! Give me a... "

The televised BBC Prom is to be shown next month, time and date unknown at the moment.

Also, fans of Who may wish to keep an eye out for "Sherlock", the BBCs modern take on the classic character (as in, actually set in the present day). Its written by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, who both have some minor connection with Doctor Who :) and its difficult to escape the impression whilst watching that one is viewing a lead actor who either very nearly was or may well be the next resident of the TARDIS... :) Its also a pretty good show.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished watching the season today. Overall, I liked it. I actually enjoyed the smaller scale, more personal vibe of each episode,

and the wedding phrase at the end was clever. At first, I rolled my eyes when the Doctor - again - shouted "I'm the Doctor, think of all the times I've stopped you!" But I really got a kick out of how it bit him in the ass. Maybe he'll stop trying that line from here on.

I really like how they're incorporating other time travelers into the plot. Capt Jack was fun for that reason, but Alex Kinsgton really brings some gravitas w/ Dr Song. She's the best and most enticing character I've seen on the series for a long time. Doesn't hurt that I've enjoyed seeing her since her stint on ER. I'm looking forward to the time when her and the Doctor's timelines overlap for a while longer. She's also a better romantic foil for the Doctor, rather than the slew of companions that had the hots for him during RTD's reign.

Bringing Rory along in the TARDIS proved to bring a different dynamic than we'd been used to since the relaunch. The Doctor returned to the role of detached, yet caring moderator - more of a parent than an unrequited love.

All in all, good show. I'm eager to see the owner of the angry, gravelly voice next season - probably the owner of the

not-TARDIS on the 2nd floor

• 3 weeks later...

Prepare to go "You can't end it like that!" for a few months next year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/29/doctor-who-cliffhanger-series-split

(short version, next series will be... er... two series, split in the middle).

One of those will also have the Neil Gaiman scripted episode, which just going by the bits hes having to leave out could just be quite special.

• 6 months later...

So, you've finally been able to walk past a that statue in the park without staring at it until your eyes water. You no longer flood your room with arc-lights, to get rid of the shadows. You've even stopped spilling your coffee every time you hear a bird singing.

You thought you were safe again, didn't you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00fxf06

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Saw a slightly longer version of that trailer to night on the BBC (U.K) there is a voice that says " I've killed many Timelords!" and the Doctor replies "Fear me I've killed all of them"

Looks like they may be doing the legend of the Marie Celeste, Doctor Style as well :)

Edited by big F

They already did that with the very first doctor in the episode "The Chase". But since they already have 3+ versions of Atlantis on the show then why not?

My memory of the pre Pertwee era is sketchy to say the least, I was too young to know what it was, and have only seen a handful of those episodes in later years, but yup your right, but no matter it should be good anyhow :)

Edited by big F

Oldest running SF series. Had plenty of ups and downs, but still GREAT!!!!! And bonus points for the trailer not showing any "classic" monsters. I think that freshness now is going to help keep the series going to its 50TH ANNIVERSARY!!!!

My memory of the pre Pertwee era is sketchy to say the least, I was too young to know what it was, and have only seen a handful of those episodes in later years, but yup your right, but no matter it should be good anyhow :)

I cheated a little, I had just rented "The Chase" last week...

yup, it's next on my netflix queue as well!

For the old series (I mean Hartnell in this case) it was pretty good. A lot of the older shows are very slowly paced, and this suffers from that a little bit as well. (of the Hartnell episodes the one my friend remembers most was the one with the Aztecs - they apparently used cricket bats to make their swords, although I should not make fun of them since it made a pretty good imitation of an Aztec sword)

Oldest running SF series. Had plenty of ups and downs, but still GREAT!!!!! And bonus points for the trailer not showing any "classic" monsters. I think that freshness now is going to help keep the series going to its 50TH ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Yup didn't even get the compulsory Dalek in there or at least a hint of a Cyberman.

Edited by big F

• 1 month later...

I think that "The Doctors Wife" is possibly the best story so far in the Matt Smith era. Any takers on that one.

All the elements of what should have gone into a good Who story were there, but it left me cold for some reason. I'm still watching Who each week but I'm afraid the show is in a slow period. (and I'm not a Matt Smith hater, I think he is OK - it's just hard to follow a REALLY popular Doctor and get a fair shake, just ask Peter Davison)

"The Doctors Wife" was written by that Neil Gaiman, which helps explain some of the fan response to it. It does have such a simple idea at the core of the story I'm frankly astonished no-one else has thought of it before. Its does have just a hint of very high-class fan-fiction about it, which perhaps helps explain some of the negative response. Ah, its all so different from the days when the BBC employed hacks like Douglas Adams to write scri - oh. ;)

David Tennant certainly does know what its like, because he married Peter Davisons daughter - who played "The Doctors Daughter" in the episode of the same name. I think that probably makes David Tennant the ultimate promoted fanboy. :)

Theres been some comment recently that Doctor Who is too scary (and not for the first time). My basic reaction to this is that, if the kids aren't wetting themselves behind the sofa, then its not Doctor Who... :) [1] This weekends episode looks like another one for the damp carpet brigade...

[1] I'm not a parent, and I can understand where they're coming from a bit, but on the other hand - merciless machine-clad space aliens who want to kill every other thing in the Universe? What did you think you were watching, Teletubbies?!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

David Tennant certainly does know what its like, because he married Peter Davisons daughter - who played "The Doctors Daughter" in the episode of the same name. I think that probably makes David Tennant the ultimate promoted fanboy. :)

Don't forget Peter and David did a special together as well. It's floating around on the web somewhere.

The writing of the episode was not the problem, it just didn't seem to gell for some reason. I think part of it is the character chemistry is a bit off, no offense to the guy playing Rory - but the show is better off without that character.

Theres been some comment recently that Doctor Who is too scary (and not for the first time). My basic reaction to this is that, if the kids aren't wetting themselves behind the sofa, then its not Doctor Who... :) [1] This weekends episode looks like another one for the damp carpet brigade...

[1] I'm not a parent, and I can understand where they're coming from a bit, but on the other hand - merciless machine-clad space aliens who want to kill every other thing in the Universe? What did you think you were watching, Teletubbies?!

I can remember watching it in the 70's with the latter Jon Pertwee and then Tom Baker and literally ducking down behind the sofa on one or two episodes, cant say I'd do that now, but at the same time kids of today need to experience that kinda thing. Everyone is so politically correct and afraid of law suits or up setting people that they'd rather tame something down than scare kids.

Still like it though after all these years. I do think the writing is at times a lot more intelligent this series so far, you get a real feeling that they are gearing up for something big just like they did with the BadWolf arc