My custom 1/48 GU-11 Gatling Cannon

Mechamaniac

Take one extra gunpod, fold in some scrap parts from a MG Gouf Custom, and whip it together one day when you're bored, and you get this.

I started with just adding the gatling barrels, and it looked pretty badass. But I always like to keep a little realism with stuff like this. The GU-11 fires from an internal magazine, and the spent shells eject out of the middle portion.

I like to think of this as a modification of the GU-11 to fire twice as much ammo, which requires an external magazine, and feed belt, the ejection port is still the same.

Yes, the barrels spin

Yes, the GU-11 still collapses.

NO - The handle does not collapse into the body (I had to make one sacrifice).

Pics...

vfgatling1.jpg

very nice i like the shark face stickers on the valk nosecone alot.

chris

very nice i like the shark face stickers on the valk nosecone alot.

chris

Thanks Chris...

The shark teeth stickers (and all the others) came from Takatoys custom sticker set. I know they don't match the valk and all, but this J is my knockaround valk anyway, so I have all kinds of different stuff on it. :rolleyes:

As to the gatling, it's one step closer to my dream of a custom UN Army A-10 style gropo valkyrie.

i take it the nosecone can no longer come off right? (because the stickers are holding it on) the vf-1a i used to have had the nosecone fall off all the time i could have used something like that on mine.

chris :p

i take it the nosecone can no longer come off right? (because the stickers are holding it on) the vf-1a i used to have had the nosecone fall off all the time i could have used something like that on mine.

chris :p

Actually, it will still come off. Erik's stickers are resilient enough that you can unpeel it just enough to take the nosecone off. Of course, I wouldn't do it all the time, but every now and then, it's no big deal.

I watched that movie Napoleon Dynamite yesterday.. and in his words, "SWEET!"

The Gouf cannon looks like it was made for a GU. Man, the next time I'm drunk at home I'm gonna steal my Gouf's gatling too. Sorry little guy, it's for a greater cause.

Thanks guys!

On a related note, someone pointed out that there's a concept sketch of a valk with a gatling gun in Entertainment Bible #27.

Anyone got a scan of that pic? I'd like to see how close I may have come to the mark.

And yeah, the Gouf cannon fits REALLY well. I just got lucky when I snipped off the front of the GU-11, that I did it at a point where the circumfrence of the pod was pretty much the same as the Gatling.

In all, it was a very easy mod. All I did was separate the GU-11 parts, I cut the GU-11 just on the outside (towards the front) of the inner wall pieces that tell the grip where to stop when collapsed into the pod.

I cut those pieces out, made a little more room with a big fat drill bit, which also worked to hollow out the walls of the pod just a bit.

If anyone's interested, I can put up some pics....

That looks really sweet... like a high calibur anti-armor gattling gun... and y'know, you COULD slit the sticker so you could remove the nosecone without peeling up the sticker... just get it where you want it and use a brand new sharp X-acto knife blade to cut along the joint.... it'd still line up without having to be peeled off opver and over again, thus preventing you from ruining the sticker.

Cool, thanks!

Ultimately, I just stuck the teeth on to see how they would look. That color is really for a Low Viz. I think I'm going to track down some 1/48 scale shark mouth decals with the red background, those would look sweet on Hikaru's J model.

Its is awesome. Custom stuff doesn't usually get me but that gunpod is amazing. I second the notion of a recast of it. Now that I seconded it, put me down for a recast, please.

Really cool custom. The closest I got to something like that was pulling a gatling gun from some cheap G.I. Joe knock-off and sticking it in the hands of the Matchbox Robotech Hovertank in robot mode.

Its is awesome. Custom stuff doesn't usually get me but that gunpod is amazing. I second the notion of a recast of it. Now that I seconded it, put me down for a recast, please.

I think it would be cheaper to go out and buy yourself a MG Gouf Custom and steal his gun. Or, I wonder if those 1/6 scale weapons would fit? I almost bought one for my Panzer Cop when I was in HK. I guess Dragon make them?

Like one of these:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/tokyo-maniacs/468.../464199/#434048

or maybe a 1/48 Thunderbolt kit and steal his gatling?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5978367106&rd=1

Its is awesome.  Custom stuff doesn't usually get me but that gunpod is amazing.  I second the notion of a recast of it.  Now that I seconded it, put me down for a recast, please.

I think it would be cheaper to go out and buy yourself a MG Gouf Custom and steal his gun. Or, I wonder if those 1/6 scale weapons would fit? I almost bought one for my Panzer Cop when I was in HK. I guess Dragon make them?

Like one of these:

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/tokyo-maniacs/468.../464199/#434048

or maybe a 1/48 Thunderbolt kit and steal his gatling?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5978367106&rd=1

1/6 scale weapons work great on 48s and 60s. ;)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...opic=12971&st=0