Star Wars DVDs

Anikin was played by Hayden, therefore he plays Anikin in ALL scenes of Star Wars.  Makes perfect sense to me.

The greatest problem for me it's just that he looks young while Obi wan is still old. :p

This site has some screenshot of the changes:

Digital Bits

Maybe he wanted Anakin when he was young, because that's when he hadn't turned to the dark side yet.

Sundown, I appreciate and agree with nearly everything you have said regarding the replacement of Shaw with Christiensen.

My biggest problem with it, however, is. . . shouldn't Yoda and Kenobi be really pissed that they need to spend the rest of eternity as old fogeys while this jerk who killed all the jedi gets to be a young, handsome punk?  :lol:

Just another "problem" introduced by the change.

AMEN to that! The Force (and Obi-Wan and Yoda) are pretty damn forgiving of a guy that killed CHILDREN in cold blood and they act as if they're all okey-dokey with it. But putting that aside, Lucas explains that he wanted to show Anakin as he was - the good Jedi before he went evil. 2 problems: 1) He doesn't have the Ep3 look (with the scar) 2) Having him there shows that Lucas thinks Anakin was good until that specific age, ruining any form of redemption for the older Anakin.

ETA: If Lucas really wanted to bridge the prequels, I think it was HG blows in the other SW thread suggested having Qui-Gon there. That would have felt right, considering the whole 'death arc' he had

Edited by uminoken

Either way, if they were taking the time to put Hayden there, they should have also stuck Liam there, sure Luke wouldn't have known who he was, but his role has been placed at the highest importance anyway now. Or hey, here's a plot twist, what if Luke was the re-incarnation of Qui Gon Jin, that would explain his un-requited belief in Vader.

Either way, if they were taking the time to put Hayden there, they should have also stuck Liam there, sure Luke wouldn't have known who he was, but his role has been placed at the highest importance anyway now. Or hey, here's a plot twist, what if Luke was the re-incarnation of Qui Gon Jin, that would explain his un-requited belief in Vader.

Who is Leia the reincarnation of?

And while we're at it, how about Watto and that green chick who gets eaten by the rancor!

H

-Ian MacDiarmid (or however you spell it) being put in Empire was an excellent move... no one really even cares about the original guy. The dialogue isn't much changed (I think he adds a line or two about Luke being Vader's son). It was well played.

I'd say it's a far less obtrusive change... but to call it an excellent move is a bit too much.

Empire was just fine the way it was. McDiarmid is a good actor, but there's no reason to replace the Emporer or change his dialogue in ESB.

Hell, your average joe didn't even know it was a different actor.

If by "well played" you mean, less annoying and intrusive than slapping Hayden's head in RotJ, well, I suppose...

Hot Bikini Love Slave from 1000 years ago

Now I'm just waiting on the Zion discs so I can trash my TR47's.

Hey LePoseur, thanks for posting that link. I looked at Zion's website, but the OT file is down. How are you getting his discs?

Zion's discs aren't finished yet, for the others (I recommend the EditDroid version) there should be a thread on the forum for bit torrent, as well as just hitting MySpleen.

Hot Bikini Love Slave from 1000 years ago

His mother? Didn't say it was a good theory, just a "what if," as there hasn't been anything in star wars to suggest re-incarntation anyway.

Anikin was played by Hayden, therefore he plays Anikin in ALL scenes of Star Wars.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Except for the part where he doesn't?

Shaw still plays Anakin when his helmet is removed.

Well I never heard what Lucas had to say about the situation, but I figured in an Jedi's ghost form (or one with the force or whatever) you could look however you would like to look... So for Anikin, it would be back in his good form.

Did Lucas fix the Rancor effect in the DVD version of ROTJ? Somehow it looks a lot better, but the DVD review website posted earlier doesn't say anything about it.

Has anyone said this on this thread? When did Vader get a chance to be fat? I mean he was made into Vader as a skinny guy, David Prowse is a skinny guy, then all of a sudden he's a fat old man in ROTJ... did they just switch the head of superimpose Hayden's head in there. No I haven't seen it, but it makes sense that they add in HC's head and body as the ghostly Anakin.

I just assumed he got fat due to what was lef of his physical body not being very active. Think about it:

-Arms = Mechanical

-Legs = Mechanical

-Lungs = Mechanical

-Voice = Mechanical

-Eyes = Mechanical

etc. Even an active Vader would be moving mechanical limbs most of the time, what was there to give the rest of his body any large degree of active movement that would work of whatever form of nourishment that sustained his biological self. As such, he's fat!

I just assumed he got fat due to what was lef of his physical body not being very active. Think about it:

-Arms = Mechanical

-Legs = Mechanical

-Lungs = Mechanical

-Voice = Mechanical

-Eyes = Mechanical

etc. Even an active Vader would be moving mechanical limbs most of the time, what was there to give the rest of his body any large degree of active movement that would work of whatever form of nourishment that sustained his biological self. As such, he's fat!

but he was never fat... that's my point. Vader wasn't fat... only in the afterlife. I didn't see his belly sticking out of his black suit... besides Vader was one active mofo. You think he just sat there eating too much out of depression? Hence... Hayden Christensen, a better choice to come back as Anakin.

:lol:

Yeah hopefully they age him and make him smile for the next DVD release of RotJ. ;)

And I'm all for adding Watto, Qui-Gon, and the green rancor-food chic to the ghost scene. :lol:

Yeah hopefully they age him and make him smile for the next DVD release of RotJ. ;)

And I'm all for adding Watto, Qui-Gon, and the green rancor-food chic to the ghost scene. :lol:

:p don't forget Jar jar

Heh, but seriously... CGI Yoda looks MUCH MUCH better for Revenge of the Sith. I'm kinda hoping Lucas will do a full revamp of all SFX for all of the movies to get them all consistent.

Particularly, this would include the Revenge Yoda (aged appropriately) for Episode 5, Episode 6, and Episode 1 replacing the puppets. And replace the CGI of Episode 2, as well to match the Episode 3 model.

I'd really like to see the deleted scene of Dooku with 2 sabers edited back into the film itself, too.

This should really stick in the craw of some raped childhoods. :lol:

Edited by Uxi

Heh, but seriously... CGI Yoda looks MUCH MUCH better for Revenge of the Sith. I'm kinda hoping Lucas will do a full revamp of all SFX for all of the movies to get them all consistent.

Particularly, this would include the Revenge Yoda (aged appropriately) for Episode 5, Episode 6, and Episode 1 replacing the puppets. And replace the CGI of Episode 2, as well to match the Episode 3 model.

I'd really like to see the deleted scene of Dooku with 2 sabers edited back into the film itself, too.

This should really stick in the craw of some raped childhoods. :lol:

Well, I think it would be a real shame to lose the wonderful puppet-work of Empire. I mean, it's a friggin' puppet and it still looked and acted better than the Yoda from TPM. But, I've given up on hoping that Lucas will restrain himself. So I wouldn't be surprised if you got your way.

Having said that, I just watched the end of the RotJ DVD. . . and I must say that the Hayden appearance isn't nearly as bad as I remember it being when I first saw it. I can almost get onboard with it now if he still just didn't look so out of place as a young whipper snapper next to Obi-Wan.

H

I didn't think tossing Hayden into that scene was a terrible idea, but I thought it would have fit much better had they used make up or something to age him.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't care. That's how he looked when he was last a whole man. Its not like Shaw added anything anyway all he did was sit there and smile.

Couldn't have said it better me-self...

I don't care. That's how he looked when he was last a whole man. Its not like Shaw added anything anyway all he did was sit there and smile.

Luke should have a rather confused look on his face when he sees these "ghosts" appear. . . considering he has no way of recognizing his father as a young man.

In the original, it's obviously the man that Luke just burned on the funeral pyre. But who's this young guy glaring at him?

Luke should have a rather confused look on his face when he sees these "ghosts" appear. . . considering he has no way of recognizing his father as a young man.

In the original, it's obviously the man that Luke just burned on the funeral pyre. But who's this young guy glaring at him?

*spins BS excuse about non-visual communication*

Having watched Sith now, and rewatched VD Jedi, I think its a case of the fact that OT Anakin looks NOTHING like PT Anakin. Hell, OT Anakin has dark hair.

It's a case of Lucas having no clue and dropping bullshit in there without much thought towards it making any sense.

Considering that the ability to merge with the Force was a secret discovered by Qui-gon and taught to Yoda and Obi-wan, Anakin now shouldn't be in the ghost scene at all since I'm sure Qui-gon didn't pay a Dark Lord of the Sith a visit during his afterlife to teach him long forgotten Jedi secrets.

I'm sure fanboys have some great excuses for that one though, as they always do.

Did Qui-Gon discover it? Or did he RE-discover it? In either case, he never claims to "invent" the ability (indeed the novelization indicates he explicitly studied the works of others). Besides, who's to say Qui-Gon's spirit wasn't whispering to Anakin as he died? Or that being the "Chosen One" wouldn't let him (re)discover the ability as Qui-Gon apparently did?

The OT old man doesn't even have hair under the mask. And since the "ghost" doesn't exist anymore except as a reflection of Hayden, this is a non-issue.

According to Lucas, one can only become a ghost if they have shown someone compassion in life. He goes on to say that Anakin is turned into a ghost by Obi Wan and Yoda. I know it doesn't make much sense, and it sounds even worse how he put it.

Wow, are we reading the same quotes? You're either (deliberately?) paraphrasing in a really shitty way or you're reading translations from English Translations from the Swahili translations of Lucas interviews. :lol:

Luke would see himself in Anakin's ghost... that's how he would know.

This little scene where he burns his father's body, it wasn't originally in the script. But I decided it gave more closure in terms of Luke's relationship to his father, letting go of his father. Even though later on, as we get to the end of the movie, as he joins the Force, he was able to retain his original identity, it's because of Obi-Wan and Yoda, who learnt how to do that: how to join the Force at will and then retain your identity. But it was his identity as he was when he died as Anakin Skywalker.

Intuition? The force? How about the family resemblence, which IRL we all agreed that Christensen and Hamill do share? I know for a fact that I'd easily recognize my own father from a photo taken when he was my age.