Possible X-Men 3 Villain Revealed?

Jones for "X3"

Meanwhile, footballer turned actor Vinnie Jones told Leeds United "My football connections are well over now, I'm cracking on with filming and have just landed a few roles. I have X-Men 3 to film and that will take six months or so, so I think I might be a bit busy." This gels with the actor's official site which says Jones "is going to film X Men 3 in America in August, and 4 & 5 if they make them. He plays the character Juggernaut."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050504h.php

And the Director??

Matthew Vaughn Talks "X3" Direction

Posted:  Tuesday May 3rd, 2005 4:28pm

Source:  About.Com

Author:  Garth Franklin

Out promoting "Layer Cake" in the US, Director Matthew Vaughn spoke with About.Com about his next gig - the third "X-Men" which is currently slated for an August 1st start of shooting in Canada.

At present "We're trying to see if we can get it off the ground at the moment. There's just a hell of a lot. We're meant to be filming in August. We're working on it at the moment. As far as I know, Halle's doing the film. In the script, she's got a lot to do. I've got a lot of experience in dealing with a lot of character in a film, so multi-character movies don't intimidate me at all. I think I know how to get that balance" said Vaughn.

In terms of his plans for the film - "I have plans to put my stamp on it. I thought when I pitched them [Fox] the way I wanted to make the movie, they'd run a mile. But I think they understand. I think the X-Men are pretty much movies of the '90s and I think it's time for them to toughen up a bit. X-Men was pretty good because you saw the flaws and the conflict that they're going through, but I think that conflict needs to be expanded on. I wanted the villains to be less [cartoony]. At the moment, I think a lot of moustache twirling happened in the last films. I want to get rid of that and make the villains really scary and more realistic." He cites "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon's work as an inspiration.

Amongst his is plans to use as little CGI as possible - "I hate CGI. I'm trying to do everything in camera. Listen, there are times you have to use CGI, but I want to do as much in camera as possible". His only real concern is the time factor with the pressure to get it done by next May. He's also only signed on for this film, no further.

For the full and very informative interview, click here.

Thanks to 'FT'

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050503g.php

yeah, anyone trying to pull off Marko (Juggernaut) is gonna have serious size inaccuracies to deal with. I suppose I can live with that though. I never figured Juggernaut would make it into the X-films (even though he was one of their most frequent enemies throughout the 1980s). Then again, I also wondered why they never cast "Ahnold" as Colossus... Stan Lee pretty much admitted to molding him after the Oak. Guess it's too late now!

So I wonder if they grabbed licensing rights for 4 & 5 or if he was just blowing smoke? I'd obviously want to see 3 before I decided if I wanted a 4 or 5... but I have to admit that there is a lot of potential.

I applaud his efforts to remain as "pure" (minimal CGG) as possible, but I have to wonder just what he'll be able to get away with. I hope this doesn't mean I won't see any more of Colossus... he's my main man and I'd love to see him as one of the lead roles in the 3rd movie.

I guess the 3rd movie will probably be either REALLY good or REALLY bad. X2 will be a hard act to follow, it rocked.

-Jeremy

(X-men fan since the day he learned to read in the very early 1980s)

Edited by Skull Leader

Vinnie Jones is probably the largest actor I'm aware of that can actually "act". He's got the height for Juggernaut (or at least, a Juggernaut in the real world) but he'll need to pack on a few pounds to flesh our the role (punny!). He also looks mean too :)

This is some good news for the casting. I was fearful they would hire some beefhead wrestler to fill the part. I've seen enough dramatically-challenged jucie monkeys onscreen to last a lifetime.

I'm certainly going to see this film, but I've got my doubts. Mat Vaughn is great and all, and I loved his other work (Layer Cake is yet to be seen, so we'll see how he goes it alone). At this point, Vaughn's got more promise than a certain other brit director who once made great movies :p

Get chinese basketball superstar Yao ming to play juggernaut and have him throw a basketball at cyclops to knock out his cheesy googles then wail at him for an hour or two. I would pay good money to see that.

Vinnie Jones is a good choice. But I don't get why they're afraid of CG... a rubber suit? That scares me even more. This is Xmen... not Dirty Harry. They should be pushing CG to its limits... not running away from it.

Stan Lee pretty much admitted to molding him after the Oak. Guess it's too late now!

Are you sure you don't mean Chris Claremont? :blink:

I'm wondering how they plan to do the Dark Phoenix Saga with minimal CG. She eats planets and suns and transforms into a giant bird of fire. They should be calling ILM and WETA and Pixar and investing in some serious CGI, not the opposite.

What is it with XMen characters and eating planets? You think Galactus and the Phoenix ever go out on lunch dates? :rolleyes:

X-men less cartoony and darker?

:lol: Oh that's funny.

only way your gonna do that is if you do the Days of Future Past story. That's Terminator level gritty.

X2 was pretty damned gritty for X-Men, and it was styled because it was so overthetop and little more then an action flick that NEEDED style not to be any lamer then it already was.

Using the Juggernaut as the main villian is lacking and you are gonna have to have another villian behind the scenes manipulating him.... unless you destroy the character by giving him brains. :blink: Though using Juggie for X3 would work because it could help frame up the background for the Sentinels/Nimrods arrvial.

Stan Lee pretty much admitted to molding him after the Oak. Guess it's too late now!

Are you sure you don't mean Chris Claremont? :blink:

LOL, I thought that sounded funny after I typed it, but I couldn't remember where I found it to verify. Yeah, it probably WAS Claremont. Or maybe it was Stan Lee TALKING About Claremont. Not sure...

I was hoping for Sentinels. Damn.

I think there is a possibility for Sentinels still... Jurrasic Park got away with doing a huge friggin T-rex using animatronics in some scenes... While I don't know if X3 will get the budget that JP had, I think it might still be possible (or he could simple renege on his minimum-CCG statement... and that's what I am thinking will happen)

It certainly looked like they were setting up the "Days of Future Past" setting with the first movie, but quickly switched tracks and went with "Wolverine Issue #50/Beginning of the Dark Phoenix Saga" for X2... it will be interesting to see how they handle the third one.

It's been years since I've picked up a comic, but I would've pegged Apocolypse as a good villain for the next pic. I just haven't liked the previous movies all that much; the characters are too far removed from what I know of them from the comics. Wolverine has just been straight up bitch in the films compared to his comic persona. And Mystique? WTF?! Really, other than attracting pimple-faced monkey spankers to the theaters in droves, what purpose could there be in making her prance around with no fuggin clothes on all the time? Really, they could have done that much more tastefully and still made her a sexy character...

Colossus has been around since his debut in Giant Size X-men in 1975. Claremont wasn't on the book at the time and Stan had long since stopped writing on the book. I've heard that they filmakers might not tell the Dark Phoenix in X3. They might set it up for a possible X4.

That's right; Colossus was created by Len Wein and Dave Cockrum in Giant Sized X-Men no.1. As was Storm, Nightcrawler, and Thunderbird. Banshee, Sunfire, and Wolverine, although they were members of the "All New, All Different X-Men", all appeared in earlier Marvel books.

yeah, anyone trying to pull off Marko (Juggernaut) is gonna have serious size inaccuracies to deal with. I suppose I can live with that though. I never figured Juggernaut would make it into the X-films (even though he was one of their most frequent enemies throughout the 1980s). Then again, I also wondered why they never cast "Ahnold" as Colossus... Stan Lee pretty much admitted to molding him after the Oak. Guess it's too late now!

So I wonder if they grabbed licensing rights for 4 & 5 or if he was just blowing smoke? I'd obviously want to see 3 before I decided if I wanted a 4 or 5... but I have to admit that there is a lot of potential.

I applaud his efforts to remain as "pure" (minimal CGG) as possible, but I have to wonder just what he'll be able to get away with. I hope this doesn't mean I won't see any more of Colossus... he's my main man and I'd love to see him as one of the lead roles in the 3rd movie.

I guess the 3rd movie will probably be either REALLY good or REALLY bad. X2 will be a hard act to follow, it rocked.

-Jeremy

(X-men fan since the day he learned to read in the very early 1980s)

For one thing, Ahnold has another job and he would have cost way too much to even play for a bit-part like Colossus is pretty unlikely and silly. Just get any tall muscle builder and get him to fake a Russian accent - of course they totally screwed this up in X2 when Colossus didn't have an accent!

I don't know how X-Men will turn out because singer's gone and the principals are all drifting away and much less interested in reprising their roles, especially Marsden and Halle Berry. Famke reportedly didn't want to do the film without Singer's involvement either.

-Jeremy also

He did, he was an agent sent by the Canadian government to take down the Hulk. Though, back then Wolverine was just a strong guy with claws attached to his gloves. Claremont was the one who threw in the healing factor, adamantium skeleton, and retractable adamantium claws. Btw, who's that redhead in your avatar? :ph34r:

As for X3, I think it will have the debut of Phoenix and explore her powers. They may throw a hint or two at her dark side, but I think the full blown Dark Phoenix Saga will be reserved for X4 or X5. IMO, that's simply too much story to pack into a two-hour movie.

edit: grammar

Edited by TheLoneWolf

He did, he was an agent sent by the Canadian government to take down the Hulk. Though, back then Wolverine was just a strong guy with claws attached to his gloves. Claremont was the one who threw in the healing factor, adamantium skeleton, and retractable adamantium claws. Btw, who's that redhead in your avatar? :ph34r:

As for X3, I think it will have the debut of Phoenix and explore her powers. They may throw a hint or two at her dark side, but I think the full blown Dark Phoenix Saga will be reserved for X4 or X5. IMO, that's simply too much story to pack into a two-hour movie.

edit: grammar

her name is Ashley Robbins...and i think she should be the next Jean Grey... :rolleyes: well...she has enough acting under her belt (even if it's in the adult entertainment industry) i'm sure she can take on the roll...and she'd look really hott in a skin tight outfit...

but seriously...who ever the new jean is she better be hot and a decent actress...and i'm with you all...i wanna see the start of the Pheonix saga...hell, you could have 3 full movies just based around it :ph34r:

Good. Marsden portrays Cyclops as a total pussy anyway. May be it's time he dies.

Cyclops has always been pretty much a wimp, especially when he's compared with Wolverine. They didn't call him 'slim' for nothing. ;)

Gotta agree though that without Singer involved it's gonna feel like Terminator 3.

It could be far worse. They could have got some talentless studio director to pick the franchise up and really run it over the coals. At least with Vaughn we have a chance. The guy does have a record of projects outside the mainstream. I'm not saying I have a lot of faith the project will be as good as Singer's work, I'm just happier with the odds and figure it could be a lot worse.

Edited by Mr March

2 things that bugged me in the X-Men movies, Cyclops sucks, the guy looks too young, I always wanted Christian Bale for the part.

Jensen while hot, looks to0 old for Cyclops, they should of cast someone a bit older for cyclops.

Hmmm... I never cared about the Cyclops is too young, too weak and Jean Grey is too old crap a bit once I saw the first two movies. Singer did a smart thing by making the movies noticeably and substantially different than the comics. IMHO, Marsden and Jannsen both do excellent jobs in their roles as their written. Seems a bit silly to me to blame the scripts on the actors.

Haven't seen Layer Cake, but it's gotten good press - mainly as a Lock,Stock/Snatch lads heist film. Hard to imagine that being a great fit for the X-Men. It seems more like a case of "grab the hot director" on the studio's part.

Either way, this installment was facing an uphill battle the moment Singer walked out to do Superman. At this point, I'd have to hear a pretty great review of the movie before I put much faith in it being anything beyond "filler".

Cyclops is essential for any telling of the Dark Phoenix saga period. I felt that Storm and Cyclops both terribly suffered in the 1st to films from lack of development. They should've been given more scenes to flesh the characters out. That's the directors fault, not the actors. I bet alot of their developmental scenes ended up on the cutting rooms floor. The great thing about any X-men sequel is that it's very easy to explain away actors that don't reprise their characters in subsequent sequels. There away on some mission doing X. There are a ton of other characters in the pool to draw from.

They should be pushing CG to its limits... not running away from it.

I agree here. They are mutants with super powers ffs.

It's only when it looks fake because it wasn't done convincingly that I have an issue with cg.

I hope gambit makes it into an xmen movie soon. Or maybe Psylocke. If they are going with a more gritty real style these need to be there imo. I want to see a character with ninja/thief skills in there somewhere.

They've got the mages: Storm, Xavier, Jean Grey,

warriors: Wolvie, Collossus, Rogue

freaks: Nightcrawler

leaders/strategists: Cyclops

now give us the cool 'we rely on skills and cunning' characters who do risky sneaky things.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker