Rob Liefeld's Teen Titans

is it shorter? or is it up aliitle more and and at a angle? as a artist i have a few pics that are posed the same way.

chris

well if it was up and at angle it should appear thicker, but it also appears to be thinner than than the thigh behind it

i am not familiar wth that what happend? did they get sued?

Somebody thought he could "redo" this pic back in 97 or 98 and not could call on it. Other than one website [been gone for five yrs. now] who check out whether comic artists had plagierize other artists, I haven't heard anything of the aftermath.

Somebody thought he could "redo" this pic back in 97 or 98 and not could call on it. Other than one website [been gone for five yrs. now] who check out whether comic artists had plagierize other artists, I haven't heard anything of the aftermath.

got the 'redone' pic?

got the 'redone' pic?

Wrong question, correct question is "Can you find it?" Answer is I got it somewhere on disc and I don't have a frelling clue which disc it is on. <_< Would need a little bit of time to find it.

Edited by Mislovrit

Joe Madureira often took liberally from already existing designs.He usually took more flak from it than I think his work deserved, but remember seeing an ad for a new comic by him that I can only assume never came out. The main character design was a shameless rip of Mega Man.

I don't really mind when someone has obvious influences, or when someone throws in a cameo from another comic or anime or whatever in the background, but when you throw in an already existing design in as one of your main characters you're just asking for trouble.

A lil'bit off topic: Here's a color preview of All-Star Batman & Robin by Frank Miller(Da Man!) and Jim Lee. Look for it this summer!

that kicks all kinds of ass

when is this comic out?

The book comes out in July and check out this link for a brief description. Also the page has links to interviews with Frank Miller and Jim Lee.ASBR

I might start getting back into comics again. The 90s are back! My fave artists were jim lee, and simon bisley (he did the ABC warriors in 2000 AD and Slain:the horned god, and also covers for Lobo.) It's been 10 years since I bought a comic though. :D

I think I got out when all the artists went away to form image and paper started to turn shiny. The thing I most remember were spawn comics, (I had the first print ofthe first issue) the maxx, (a kind of purple hulk - crap description I know) the savage dragon, three-armed cyborgs (not sure what image title this was from, I think wildcats?) and comics that had lots of black in them (Cybernary: my bro was an artist for that, until he couldn't continue due to illness. This is probably why it was cancelled :( The darkness was due to printing problems)

The problem I have with comics now is like tv, I have a short attention span and tend to lose interest after a story is spread over so many issues/episodes forcing you to wonder WTF is going on unless you've been paying attention from the begining. I tend to like reading a large volume in one big chunk rather than waiting a whole month to just to get a bit more of a story and have to make several trips to the comic store to get back issues. See I'm paranoid that if the writing or art quality doesn't stay consistent over time (similar to how in a tv series that you like, suddenly gets cancelled, pissing you off) it's not worth the effort or hassle trying to follow it. What if it is awesome the first 5 issues and then gets really bad later?

Dude! Cybernary's first artist Was Nick Manabat...

you're related to him?

really?

On the strong recommendations of many here in this thread, I picked up the collected Hush issues in Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 paperback formats. I've finished reading through them and they were quite good. It was great to see Jim Lee in action again; it's been quite a few years. This was my first encounter with writer Jeph Loeb and he did a fine job. Some of the weaknesses overall was the lack of a pace for the mysteries and too much exposition in the finale. Overall, I'd give Hush a 7 out of 10. Batman The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, and Year One, Two, and Three have always been my favorites.

Some aspects of Hush I really enjoyed were small homages and references to other Batman works. They went through virtually all the big events in Batman's history, mentioning Dick Grayson becoming Nightwing, A Death in The Family, Barbara Gordon, The Killing Joke; they pretty much covered it all. It was quite a thrill seeing some of my favorite Batman stories referenced in such a new Batman book. I also liked the small homage to Jim Aparo (the Aparo Expressway) in the issue where Batman and Nightwing team up. Aside from Lee, Aparo has always been my favorite Batman artist.

Travis Charest's work on X-men/Wildcats: The Golden Age was incredible. He really stepped out of the image of everyone considering him a Jim Lee clone, and his work on Wildcats Vol.2 was great too, but, like Adam Hughes knows, trying to do interior sequentials with cover art rendering will blow your deadlines or make interiors look rushed.

Big Charest fan here. Met him a few times back in the late 90's when I was writing/self-publishing a comic. Serious artist and waaaaaaay too good for his material.

What's he doing now?

Joe Madureira often took liberally from already existing designs.He usually took more flak from it than I think his work deserved, but remember seeing an ad for a new comic by him that I can only assume never came out. The main character design was a shameless rip of Mega Man.

I don't really mind when someone has obvious influences, or when someone throws in a cameo from another comic or anime or whatever in the background, but when you throw in an already existing design in as one of your main characters you're just asking for trouble.

Kind of like what happened with that one guy that drew an Eva looking sentinel in X-men a few years ago. He got all sorts of flack some of which was on this board.

Travis Charest's work on X-men/Wildcats: The Golden Age was incredible. He really stepped out of the image of everyone considering him a Jim Lee clone, and his work on Wildcats Vol.2 was great too, but, like Adam Hughes knows, trying to do interior sequentials with cover art rendering will blow your deadlines or make interiors look rushed.

Big Charest fan here. Met him a few times back in the late 90's when I was writing/self-publishing a comic. Serious artist and waaaaaaay too good for his material.

What's he doing now?

He does covers and Video Game art... about the same thing as Adam Hughes, but not pin ups.

Dude! Cybernary's first artist Was Nick Manabat...

you're related to him?

really?

Yep. I'm his younger brother (*proud boast* :D) and despite being his punching bag and hating being beaten up when we were kids I can remember all the cool stuff he drew and amazed how good he was at drawing and art in general - even when he was young his stuff looked as good as any professional imo. He would have just finished high school at about the time he was in aus and that's when he moved with my dad to the philipines for a time. (I don't think there is much work for comic book art here)

Unfortunately as I mentioned he fell ill and couldn't continue the work and this is why the comic may not have lasted due to cancer. :( Sadly he didn't win his battle against cancer and that is why you would occasionally see page "dedicated to nick manabat" on some image comics at the time. Really sad times, he had a lot going for him. I remember too that because of the way the comic was printed, the final outcome was a bit messy due to lines being too close together and making everything really dark so you couldn't make out the detail in the comic.

His biggest achievement was to be able to work and meet with the artists he really admired since looking at some of his work you can tell he was influenced by them. And I know he would draw stuff (here growing up in australia) that looked similar to Jim Lee. During this time he would be in the philipines and from his win in a competition; I think to "create and draw your own superhero" he would get noticed and later move to the US.

The use of crosshatching is evident in lots of stuff he did - I think I might have still have some original work of his still, where he drew a Ghost Rider vs the Punisher scene in a Jim lee style. The atmoshpere and tone is very dark though, with lots of shadow, a forest with lots of trees with no leaves, and flaming skull boy looking very evil and bad ass. The actual bike looks very demonic. If you've read the 2000 AD comics when simon bisely was drawing ABC Warriors, it reminds me a little of one of the characters from that. (also rode on a bike, had some kind of necromancer-ish zombie mind control ability)

He used to spend hundreds of dollars a month on comics and pretty much collected everything. (keep in mind I was only little when he was here in australia so I couldn't apreciate the sheer fanatacism or see the reason for it all, but some of the interest rubbed off on me as I got into some titles like Xmen, although I'm only a casual comic fan now.)

My memories of my bro in australia are filled with him mainly going to comic stores and getting all the back issues of comics and stuff. (there was a guy there we all nicknamed "the fat man" :D) Think of the comic book guy character in the simpsons. This was all around the 80s when he was in his angsty teen years before the flashy, glossy paper era and before Spawn and image comics. I still have a "Homage Studios" cap lying around somewhere which I wear now and again and some of the old cybernary/dethblow issues that he did work for lying under a pile of old videogames mags.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

SOmeone from 4chan posted this:

regex.jpg

How dare this guy think he can even come close to this pic.

1/1 Sorry to hear about your brother. Cybernary was a great design. I had used it to enter a contest for an Homage Studio artist search which I won but then I totally blew it because I didn't read the end date right... I think I still have it.

Edited by >EXO<

SOmeone from 4chan posted this:

regex.jpg

How dare this guy think he can even come close to this pic.

1/1 Sorry to hear about your brother. Cybernary was a great design. I had used it to enter a contest for an Homage Studio artist search which I won but then I totally blew it because I didn't read the end date right... I think I still have it.

that is just plain sad did he actually think he would get away with it.

chris

also why is the bikini girl's leg on front of the leg instead of the side of it?

Cuz Liefield sucks, thats why. He also messed up on the proportion of the "moto slave's" left arm and shoulder, so he had to invent that extended joystick thingy so that the girl would have somethign to hold onto. Notice how the right arm doesn't have it?

I had spotted the Roadblock/Cable plagarism before, but the rest of that is just appaling. The man is truly shameless.

If I recall from his Yung-blud days he actually illustrated (stolen) an illustration of the Garland and called it his own. Also in the pages of the fourth or fifth ish of Gen13 I saw what looked like a two seater Landmate. Can anybody back me up on this(with pics) or am I just crazy :huh::huh: ?

Edited by gerwalk25

If I recall from his Yung-blud days he actually illustrated (stolen) an illustration of the Garland and called it his own. Also in the pages of the fourth or fifth ish of Gen13 I saw what looked like a two seater Landmate. Can anybody back me up on this(with pics) or am I just crazy :huh::huh: ?

liefeld never did gen 13. J Scott Campbell and Jim Lee did the art on that book for about the first 22 issues.

Dude, Liefeld's famous for copying off others. I have a pic somewhere detailing the Liefeldian "art of homage."

Someone asked fo this pic, IIRC.

Here ya go.

ack... horrid!

Thanks E. Coli....

seriously, that this guy continues to get work from both of the bug two is utterly appaling. just terrible.

Given how Marvel had known and condone his shameless behavior on the matter since at least 1991, I wouldn't be surprise.

If I recall from his Yung-blud days he actually illustrated (stolen) an illustration of the Garland and called it his own.
Most likely true, also you probably want to read his Agent: America/ Fighting American

Also in the pages of the fourth or fifth ish of Gen13 I saw what looked like a two seater Landmate. Can anybody back me up  on this(with pics) or am I just crazy  :huh:  :huh: ?
You're not crazy though if it wasn't for the legs they would be just another badly designed U.S. powerarmor. Edited by Mislovrit

liefeld never did gen 13. J Scott Campbell and Jim Lee did the art on that book for about the first 22 issues.

Your right B)) . Forgot about that, I haven't read Gen13 in almost a decade :D .