Rob Liefeld's Teen Titans

The only reason Liefeld may have even got the shot with DC and publishers nowatdays might be the fact that he might be able to get stuff done on time, and he may be able to pump out a lot of pages for the amount DC is willing to pay him. Even then if I were to hire someone I would hire someone who could DRAW. And his lack of training freaking shows. people get slammed for doing amateur stupid shi* like he pulls off in my class/school all the time.

On the other hand Jim Lee had no formal training either(he got his BFA in psychology), but hell Lee actually takes time to do things right.

Seeing liefeld draw the body all effed up is one of the things that pisses me off just as much as seeing badly drawn VF-1's by whoever wildstorm hired to do the robotech comics.(YES I just said it and to be fair there are not many artists out there that can draw the valkyrie right....comico didn't do very well and as it stands I think antarctic did a better job with the license than wildstorm).

Jim Lee is my favorite comic book artist. Always loved his work, even way back in his Punisher War Journal days :)

i second that , i used jim lee work as reference years ago when i really started to learn to draw, i really miss his old Wildcats comics.

chris

i could understand only DC giving this guy work, but Marvel does the same bloody thing. He wrapped an X-force mini, and i think he's "writing" a Shatterstar mini....

....and for the record, Adam Warren wrote a hell of a Gen 13 run, before the canned it to give crappy Claremont his shot.

Jim Lee is my favorite comic book artist.  Always loved his work, even way back in his Punisher War Journal days :)

i second that , i used jim lee work as reference years ago when i really started to learn to draw, i really miss his old Wildcats comics.

chris

I used to use Lee as a refference, too. Him, and Mark Sylvestri are still my favorite comic artists. (Keep in mind that I haven't read a new comic book in at least a decade.)

Jim Lee is my favorite comic book artist.  Always loved his work, even way back in his Punisher War Journal days :)

chris

I used to use Lee as a refference, too. Him, and Mark Sylvestri are still my favorite comic artists. (Keep in mind that I haven't read a new comic book in at least a decade.)

ah yes CyberForce another cool comic, i also used to like Dale Keown's (spelling?) "Pitt" comic. if only i could get a decent job doing freelance comics :(

Star power is the thing that got Rob Liefield work. His name could still pull readers and generate money. In a time of of-the-shelf, shrink-wrapped reading material, many comic readers will settle for a familiar name than gamble with a new talent. Plus, he could draw fast and understand script with little mistakes. He'll make a helluva storyboard artist but the bigger bucks are probably in comics.

I'm not reall a huge fan of the Image guys... sure I bought the initial releases like Spawn, WildCATS and Cyberforce but their generic style just got lost on me after the whole "wow, look at the shiny pages" wore off. But Liefeld has always been a subpar artist. I always asked why my friends bought his book and they always answered because the stories were so good, but somehow I doubted that also... I'm still wondering what the allure is.

Jim Lee was a great artist but he reduced himself to be just one of the guys after Image was created. His last pages for the XMen title was awesome, but Wildcats was just a bunch of pages with action poses and gritted teeth. And it's beyond me how anyone became a fan of the PITT title... the damn book came out once every year. How many issues are there of Pitt for the years they advertised it?

The only books I looked forward to was Wetworks and Deathblow and those were practically vaporware by issue 2.

The same goes for Joe Mad. I swear the guy was made for Image if he didn't come out too late.

I would take Carlos Pacheco, Chris Bachalo and Brian Hitch over any of those guys. And here's hoping Adam Hughes and Travis Charest would get back on some kind of regular title too.

Exo, weren't we just talking about this guy?! Heh. Anyway, the worst part about Liefeld and his popularity is the amount of copycat artists he created. Didn't Dan Panosian and Brandon Peterson do some work for Liefeld? And of course, they were forced to draw like him. Of course so they were crappy themselves but then they had to follow the work of a hack like him.

Travis Charest started out as a Jim Lee clone, but soon left his shadow and turned out to be even better than Jim Lee. Brandon Peterson is actually kinda decent... nothing remarkable, just decent.

What you say! Who the hell let Adam Warren draw Bebop, and where was it used?

Click at your own risk!

Turn away NOW!

OH GOD MY EYES

At least Warren can draw, maintain consistent proportions, a high level of detail that isn't just random lines and bulging muscles where they shouldn't be. It's just that his style is often put to things that should never be put to that style. Granted, most things should never be touched with that style...

What you say! Who the hell let Adam Warren draw Bebop, and where was it used?

Click at your own risk!

Turn away NOW!

OH GOD MY EYES

At least Warren can draw, maintain consistent proportions, a high level of detail that isn't just random lines and bulging muscles where they shouldn't be. It's just that his style is often put to things that should never be put to that style. Granted, most things should never be touched with that style...

I do remember a couple of old Adam Warren drawings which did made me cringe... however, his new stuff atleast looks a wee bit more manga stylized than any other American Artist I know of.

I would rather look at Adam's drawings than Rob's

However, I do miss some of Particio's (sp?) drawing.

they should have gotten J. Scott Campbell to do it instead...

Campbell does great faces, but he seems to have some problems drawing females from the waste down. Hips too low, legs too long, etc.

Jim Lee might not be the absolute best, but he is at least deserving of attention he's gotten. I've always been a fan of his stuff. My only real beef with him is that he was part of the exodus to found Image so that creators could own their own characters. But after launching Wildstorm and doing several issues of WildC.A.T.S, he turned WildC.A.T.s over to some infinitely less talented people who nearly ran the book into the ground between the "Wildstorm Rising" and the "Fire From Heaven" crossovers, and went back to Marvel to re-launch the Fantastic Four, before ultimately selling out Wildstorm to DC.

I'd still say one of my favorites, though, was Brett Booth. I loved his work on Backlash. Anyone know what he's been up to lately?

Jim Lee might not be the absolute best, but he is at least deserving of attention he's gotten.  I've always been a fan of his stuff.  My only real beef with him is that he was part of the exodus to found Image so that creators could own their own characters.  But after launching Wildstorm and doing several issues of WildC.A.T.S, he turned WildC.A.T.s over to some infinitely less talented people who nearly ran the book into the ground between the "Wildstorm Rising" and the "Fire From Heaven" crossovers, and went back to Marvel to re-launch the Fantastic Four, before ultimately selling out Wildstorm to DC.

Jim Lee's talent lies in his artwork and not in his story telling. He's a graphic artist, not a writer. During the early Image years, the whole point of these artists going to independant comic book companies was to usher in a new style and a new method of making comic books. Better artwork, better color, better quality paper, and characters that the artists controlled. For the most part, the Image titles were weak on story and strong in visual appeal. This was not a failing of any artist in particular, but rather a failing of the very concept of a graphic artist trying to write a book.

The Image titles were never conceived to be Watchmen, Rising Stars, or The Dark Knight Returns. They did little to innovate comic book narrative structure or advance the medium of graphic format storytelling. The Image books were more action stories with some elements of drama. Jim Lee's success or failure depended most upon what projects he choose to draw. Some were good, some were not. Regardless, Image set a new standard for comic books (I'll leave others to argue over the merits or faults) and the big companies like Marvel and DC ultimately followed suit. Jim Lee's choice to go to Image was a good move, for himself and comic books in general.

Edited by Mr March

ttv3_kids1front.jpg

Starfire and Cyborg are the oldest of the Titans in this pic. Both probably in their 20's. Robin alludes to that in one of the issues. Remeber, she had previously been involved with/engaged to Nightwing (Dick Grayson). Cassie (Wonder Girl), on the other hand is still a teenager (16-18).

Actually I just saw him shopping at the Old Navy in the by the Brea Mall... seruiously...

Well a long time back when I was in college, I was sitting across from him and his then Extreme Studios posse at a Taco Bell in Fullerton (across from Target), I've also seen him at malls and stuff. He always pops up around Anaheim/Brea/Fullerton since I think he lives in Placentia or Yorba Linda. Remember when he cahnged his studio's name from Extreme, to Maximum Press, to Awesome Entertainment and to whatever it is these days. At one time he even had Allan Moore writing for him on Supreme and Youngblood.

Jim Lee's choice to go to Image was a good move, for himself and comic books in general.

I don't disagree with that at all. My gripe with Jim Lee was the way he just sort of abandoned it all and sold out to DC. I loved the first 17 or so issues of WildC.A.T.S, and Backlash was one of my all-time favorite series. But WildC.A.T.S sort of spiralled downhill after Lee left the book to work on other projects (say what you will about Alam Moore's other works, his stint on WildC.A.T.S was horrendous) so I never followed it after Wildstorm went to DC, and while Stormwatch and Gen 13 went too, I never cared for them. I was dissapointed that WildCore (formerly Backlash) and Wetworks dissapeared.

The first time I saw Warren's work was on the covers of Bubblegum Crisis and and Appleseed comic books... it made me sick then, it makes me sick now...

but all this talk of comic book artists is fun... :p

The first time I saw Warren's work was on the covers of Bubblegum Crisis and and Appleseed comic books... it made me sick then, it makes me sick now...

Ugh... even worse... English Dirty Pair manga... thats where I know him from.

What happened to the male Hawk? and what HAPPENED TO DOVE? (she looks totally different now). I should pick up Teen Titans and see what's going on there.

the Male Hawk turned evil in one of the big crossovers, and turned to extant in the Zero Hour crossover. I think hes dead now....

I think he's improved a lot since his days of destroying the gorgeous character designs of Kenichi Sonada, but he still has a bland wanna-be kind of style that turns me off.

Liefeld seems like he grew up imitating the classic superhero art style, but didn't bother to get any formal training in fundamentals like proportion. Gotta admit he used to have a sweet mullet though, that counts for something.

Jim Lee's choice to go to Image was a good move, for himself and comic books in general.

I don't disagree with that at all. My gripe with Jim Lee was the way he just sort of abandoned it all and sold out to DC. I loved the first 17 or so issues of WildC.A.T.S, and Backlash was one of my all-time favorite series. But WildC.A.T.S sort of spiralled downhill after Lee left the book to work on other projects (say what you will about Alam Moore's other works, his stint on WildC.A.T.S was horrendous) so I never followed it after Wildstorm went to DC, and while Stormwatch and Gen 13 went too, I never cared for them. I was dissapointed that WildCore (formerly Backlash) and Wetworks dissapeared.

For the most part, I have to agree. I collected WildC.A.T.S up until issue 13 and it's still one of my favorite action comics series that I've ever owned. His run on X-Men up to issue 8 was also really good. When he started jumping around studios - in particular his work on Fantastic Four and a bunch of other draw-and-drop titles - I was really sorry to his skills go to waste on such banal material. What little good I enjoyed from it was Jim Lee draw Thor. I was a big Thor fan during Walter Simonson's run in the late 1980's, so even the little bit of a Lee Thor in a FF comic was a thrill.

I was curious about the result of Jim Lee's recent run on Batman. I heard so much buzz over it, I was worried it was more marketting than actual worthy product.