XBOX 360?

Ladic

if the on/off button was red. I would be thinking hal has been corrupted by M$.

sorry dave. your xbox live2 account is banned for adding a 3rd party harddrive into me and trying to play halo3 without in the dvd in the drive.

Edited by Zentrandude

I don't like it... what an ugly design. Looks like a cheap car radio.

Also the shape looks too feminime to me (the designer had to put the X shape somewhere...).

I could easily mistaken it for a car radio.

Edited by Kin

Yes... one of the pictures shown in this thread or in an article linked to this thread could be the actual finalized design for the Xbox 360 (did they even bother to focus-test that, or as was suggested, did Microsoft really just try to come up with a number bigger than 3?). The question is, which pictures?

The first two pics Ladic posted look the best, IMHO... especially that 40GB hard drive, and all the juicy rumors that go along with it (like the part about it doubling as a detachable mp3-playing iPod killer). ;) I can only hope it's the real deal. Especially that 40GB hard drive

The third pic Ladic posted looks like the one that was "leaked" at OurColony.net, which for those of you who haven't heard, is Microsoft's new Alternate Reality game that's counting down to May 12th, the official Xbox 360 unveiling. However, it's a bit of a stretch to see the unit in the first two pics as being the same unit as the one from the OurColony pic. And given that OurColony is pretty much nothing more than a Microsoft ad, I'm going to say that this one is the most likely to be an actual picture of an Xbox 360.

The last pics, from the Gamespot article, are from two different dates. The blurry one is a supposedly recently leaked photo of an Xbox 360. The much cleaner pic was leaked last September when the Xbox 360 was apparently being reffered to as the Xbox FS. Clearly, they're the same unit, but are they in fact what the Xbox 360 will look like? Despite the similarities that Gamespot apparently sees between it and the images leaked from OurColony, I think they look nothing alike. Personally, I hope they're demo units or dev kits, and not the actual Xbox 360... that monstrosity looks like a metal gas can with a Gamecube handle and a disc tray.

Well, I guess we'll all know for sure in a few weeks...

xbox360_screen001.jpg

Edited by mikeszekely

Lots of sources are stating that the pics Ladic posted are real. Not a bad design, way better than the PS2 and original XB designs.

What's really interesting is the rumor that the 360 hard drive version will come pre-loaded with a custom version of Halo 2. I wonder where they got that idea from *coughhackedxboxescough*. Normally, I would blow this rumor off, but when asked about backwards compatibility, one of MS' reps said something along this lines of "we have something special planned." Not exactly a confirmation or a denial, but with backwards compatibility currently being impossible on the 360, a custom version of Halo 2 fits in perfectly with what that rep said.

Nice Photoshop work, but the reflection on the power button does not match with the rest of the light on the unit. The XBOX360 written on the CD tray was added too (you can see the white underline to create the relief effect).

post-26-1114312132_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limbo

Lots of sources are stating that the pics Ladic posted are real. Not a bad design, way better than the PS2 and original XB designs.

What's really interesting is the rumor that the 360 hard drive version will come pre-loaded with a custom version of Halo 2. I wonder where they got that idea from *coughhackedxboxescough*. Normally, I would blow this rumor off, but when asked about backwards compatibility, one of MS' reps said something along this lines of "we have something special planned." Not exactly a confirmation or a denial, but with backwards compatibility currently being impossible on the 360, a custom version of Halo 2 fits in perfectly with what that rep said.

Who says the Xbox 360 won't be backwards compatible? As I recall, the big sticking point was whether or not the unit would have a hard drive... a hard drive that'd be pretty necessary to load any preloaded games onto.

Consulting my magic 8-ball, I'll say that the Xbox 360 will be hard drive compatible, but that the hard drive will be sold seperately or in a more expensive bundle version. Neither the Xbox 360 or its hard drive will come preloaded with any games, especially not Halo 2, since Microsoft still wants you to pay $50 for it. And finally, the Xbox 360 WILL be backwards compatible, but NOT without the hard drive.

$299 is bare bones version.  $399 gets you the HD (with Halo2?), backwards compatability, and something else I'm forgetting...

You have to pay an additional $100 to get backwards compatibility? That's one of the most lame things I've heard so far regarding these next gen consoles.

It's M$, honestly, did you expect better from them?

$299 is bare bones version.  $399 gets you the HD (with Halo2?), backwards compatability, and something else I'm forgetting...

You have to pay an additional $100 to get backwards compatibility? That's one of the most lame things I've heard so far regarding these next gen consoles.

In this case, it's not entirely Microsoft's fault.

You see, MS had a huge fallout with Nvidia, who made the video card for the original XBox. Nvidia has since sworn off any future collaboration with MS. Now, the problem is that XB games are coded to work specifically with Nvidea's chipset. With no Nvidia chipset on the 360, the old XB games just won't work.

Now, there will be two versions of the 360 released. The first will be the bare bones version, and the 2nd with have the x-pod and built-in hard drive. *IF* the hard drive version can play old XB games, it will have to be through software emulation. The downside is that no emulator I know of (JB0 will correct me if I'm wrong :p ) is 100% perfect, they've all got a few small bugs here and there. So don't expect 100% compatibility.

edit: Before anyone says "Well the PS2 plays PS1 games perfectly", the PS2 does not play PS1 games through emulation. The PS2 actually has PS1 hardware built into it. And even with the extra PS1 hardware, there are still a handful of PS1 games that just won't boot on the PS2.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

*IF* the hard drive version can play old XB games, it will have to be through software emulation. The downside is that no emulator I know of (JB0 will correct me if I'm wrong :p ) is 100% perfect, they've all got a few small bugs here and there. So don't expect 100% compatibility.

You rang?

It's possible. Emulators are not INHERENTLY less accurate than the real thing, they just usaully end up that way.

A lot of it just depends on how well-documented the hardware is, and what unplanned quirks you know.

I THINK a few emus might be perfectly accurate, though I'd be hard-pressed to name one.

I wouldn't expect a 100% perfect XBox emu in the XBox2 though.

edit:  Before anyone says "Well the PS2 plays PS1 games perfectly", the PS2 does not play PS1 games through emulation.  The PS2 actually has PS1 hardware built into it.  And even with the extra PS1 hardware, there are still a handful of PS1 games that just won't boot on the PS2.
Actually...

The PS2 has the PS1 CPU built-in, not the entire system. Most of it IS emulation.

Also note that some of the games that boot exhibit other oddities.

Valkyrie Profile, for example, is an incredibly glitchy and crash-prone game on the PS2(to be fair, it's got a few glitches and crashes on the PS1, so the PS2 is really only amplifying the flaws, not creating them).

here is the REAL xbox 360 :ph34r:

As long as it has Halo3 and xbox live I couldn't give a poo about what it looks like, or if it's the size of a microwave oven.

Used to have a serious fanboy hatred of MS and the XBox, but after getting addicted to Halo2 and XBox live, the next Xbox is the only next-gen system I'm really interested in. Sony is too full of itself and will no doubt turn out crap like they did with the PS2 simply because they're #1. Nintendo is too self-absorbed into thinking they know what gamers they want and are seemingly okay with being 3rd. Microsoft is the only company I see really caring and trying; the XBox has a lot of faults but it does a lot of things better than either of it's competitors and I think with refinements the next one should be killer.

Microsoft is the only company I see really caring and trying;

Windows ME has forever left a foul taste in my mouth for all things microsoft (the damned thing was guarunteed to crash everytime I used my computer, I am not even exaggerting, go ask Dat Pinche Haro if you want someone to validate that statement). The fact they even released that sorry piece of crap OS is proof they're no better than any other corporation, and has left me convinced they are not a company that is really caring and trying. Microsoft is the only company I have a product from that has a 99% chance of malfunctioning when used. Then there was that unpleasent bussiness with some little things called the Blaster worm, when I "upgraded" to XP.

I will admit I like Halo, and I have pulled near all nighters on co-op mode with my brother.

Edited by Druna Skass

Believe me, I have no great love for Microsoft. I've always been a pretty diehard Apple user, and only recently got my first windows machine (a 1/2 size Victor notebook, bought entirely on the merits of it's small size-- not it's OS). I find Microsoft to be not only lacking in creativity but also possessing absolutely no design sense.

That said, I love my Xbox because it has the games I want to play. I could probably be happy for the rest of my life with just Halo2 on Live and Outrun 2. It gets way more action than my PS2, and would get more action than my Gamecube had my GC not been stolen last year.

Meh, when it came down to me buying a XBox or a PS2, I ended up with the XBox because of Halo. Now that Conker is coming to the XBox as well...I'm very VERY glad I went with the XBox...I LOVED that game on the N64.

For those that think MS makes crappy products.... Have you seen a fresh install of Windows XP in action? I have yet to see the blue screen of death or to see it crash at all. I can't possibly see myself buying another OS ever again...until the software companies stop making their software compatible with XP....

If MS didn't make their next-gen console backwards compatible, that'd just be plain stupid on their part. I think the backwards compatiblity with the PS2 is what made it so popular...that and it's other capabilities. If it hadn't been for Halo, I would have gotten a PS2 cause of the backwards compatiblity and DVD capability. But the XBox can play music and DVDs as well, so I can't complain...I am very happy with it. In some instances, the DVD player on the XBox is much better than some of those on the market today. ...Anyway, there still has yet to be a game on the PS2 that I MUST get, unlike Halo/Halo2 and Conker for the XBox. ...Here's hoping for the best...!