Macross and BSG...

TehPW

here's something that been banging in my head for a few weeks...

what was simular between Macross's (preferabley the DYRL timeline) situation with it's population of South Atara island post fold and BSG (current era version) and it's rag-tag fleet? was Macross City too cheery honestly compared to the harsh drama on the Galatica and her fleet?

/me Game on! :lol:

what was simular between Macross's (preferabley the DYRL timeline) situation with it's population of South Atara island post fold and BSG (current era version) and it's rag-tag fleet? was Macross City too cheery honestly compared to the harsh drama on the Galatica and her fleet?

/me Game on!  :lol:

Translation:

Yo, wassup wid them foo's on deh ESDEE-EFone? Why dey be so chill and sh!t, all flyin in outa space afta they got hurled out to Pluto in dat bigo bubble? They's not tripping like dem mofos in the BSG. I mean... it's da end of da world, yo! Crazy 'tarians.... South SIIIIDE!!!

Edited by >EXO<

Translation:

Yo, wassup wid them foo's on deh ESDEE-EFone? Why dey be so chill and sh!t, all flyin in outa space afta they got hurled out to Pluto in dat bigo bubble? They's not tripping like dem mofos in the BSG. I mean... it's da end of da world, yo! Crazy 'tarians.... South SIIIIDE!!!

now... see... why didn't he just say that to begin with???

I think it's a coincidence, yo... :ph34r:

Translation:

That was oddly easier to understand than the first post.

I guess the Macross series could have shown a bit more of the citizens distress, they did seem pretty cheery for people living in space ship where if the hull breaches they could be sucked out into space.

i guess i should be more specific. /me real thread *snorts*

anyway, my querry is what are the comparasons between M:DYRL and BSG, situational wise between the Macross Island citizens and the Colony Suvivers?

is that a little more clear?

<_<

*sighs* probably should have posted on Flare... *snorts, amused*

:p

I think there is more similarity with macross 7:

namely power struggle in each episode:

Macross 7

-mayor of city is whining for more information of the situation from captain. The mayor is a woman.

BSG

-president always whining to military about decisions. The president is a woman.

enemy boarding ship:

Macross 7

-the idea that the protodevlin got on board as vamps, and that furry guy could impersonate somebody or take over bodies.

BSG

-the way in which cylons are already aboard, sabotaging the human attempts but not killing us for whatever reason. (the same way the protodevlin wouldn't just kill us cause they need our lifeforce)

Similarities with original tv series:

With the original macross you could say it's the fact that the aliens are always on thier backs and that like BSG, humans are outnumbered, under-resourced and rely on a select few ace pilots, bridge crew and calm experienced leader to carry a big load of responsibility.

Macross

-The citizens of macross were unwilling participants who couldn't wait to get back to earth. They didn't want to be on macross. (until of course they discovered earth was a mess after they got back :D)

BSG

-The civilians in bsg have no choice and wanted to go because the ship was thier last hope to survive.

The main similarity is they are at war. The main difference is macross city is tiny and they all pull together because of a pop princess whom everyone loves. (even before minmay was famous she had a whole community who knew her (including the mayor) because of her cheery, bubbly, outgoing nature - well in the tv series anyway. Unlike other cities I think the citizens who worked near the crashed ship in the tv series were a special "type" of people, ones that enjoyed the business of being around a mysterious alien ship, but who got used to being next to the ship as if it were a part of thier town, since they wouldn't have moved there in the first place IF the ship wasn't there. And they probably saw the ship as a proud tourist attraction or something. :D)

I haven't seen much of Battlestar Galctica but the drama seems to revolve around mainly the crew itself rather than the civilians. It would be like if DYRL had a whole story about the bridge bunnies, gloval's past, the battroid repair crew, the scientists and techs, rather than just the love triangle of Hikaru/Misa/Minmay as DYRL was.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

And on the plus side the number of survivors were identical between the two shows around 50,000 to 56,000 civilians. I noticed that when I watched the season premiere of BSG on the SCI-FI channel. ;)

They should introduce a convertible viper that turns into a giant humanoid cylon. That should help seal the show as a live action macross. Also have Starbuck fall in love with a black guy called Claude who has an afro and she dies from loss of blood unexpectedly.

I wonder if the cylons themselves have built human slaves through knowledge of cloning, the way we humans have robots and machines to slave under us by mass producing the machines in factories and using them in everyday use? Maybe the whole point of the cylons guilt trip, is to make us live in equal harmony with the robots peacfully? (like the theme in AI where the robots were oppressed as they got too smart) Why else would they play all sorts of games instead of doing what they got to do and pissing off?

Oh no, don't tell me the cylons think we are a culture that mustn't be destroyed because they "forgot love" and still need us to teach them this ancient ritual? (like the DYRL idea where the zentran and meltran forgot thier past

I noticed that in the mini the chic in the red dress was interested in the little baby as if she never saw one. This could be a clue: the robots don't have sex anymore to breed like us humans, only recreational sex which isn't the same. Maybe this is the same with how the zentran and meltran split up and became warlike with each other because they no longer needed each other to create and raise babies due to thier knowledge of cloning. urgh that might be what they are trying to do: experience this thing called "love" so they don't need to be so warlike in everything they do like the zentradi aliens. But I can't remember much from the old BSG so it's probably something else, because I hear this is a reimagining of the old series.

I noticed that in the mini the chic in the red dress was interested in the little baby as if she never saw one. This could be a clue: the robots don't have sex anymore to breed like us humans, only recreational sex which isn't the same.

You say it like that's a bad thing

I for one, would defect solely for that reason alone B)):D

And on the plus side the number of survivors were identical between the two shows around 50,000 to 56,000 civilians. I noticed that when I watched the season premiere of BSG on the SCI-FI channel. ;)

No biggie really...The original Galactica came out before Macross TV....so are you saying it's a homage based on a homage to a homage? :lol:

Guest Bromgrev
They're happy because they had Minmay.... and TV and shopping malls and cars and little robots to clean up after themselves.

That would do it for me. :D

When I first saw Macross (i.e. Robotech) in 1985 I couldn't stop thinking of BSG and compare to it. At that time I thought that Macross (or RT) was a concoction of an american producer helped by some japanese animators :( and that the whole idea of a space carrier transporting civilians, fighting an mighty alien armada and trying to reach earth was not just coincidence but a direct steal from BSG (I was a big fan of the original BSG)!!

My guess was not that bad except that the original japanese animators had no intention in helping the american producer at all... :p

There are many other coincidences: the main characters are pilots (Apollo is very simmilar to Roy in many ways) and deck crew members, the aliens speak with a robotish accent, the aliens are prone to be blown out easily...

I'm sure that there is more than inspiration in BSG in Macross.

I'm not comparing it with the new BSG but with the original series.

another similar thing is how the enemies look just like us. Only diffrrence is the zentradi are giant clones.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least that ideas are just borrowed. For eg. In macross plus the first thing you think of when you see Sharon Apple's single eye is HAL. And you get this feeling in your stomach that this AI will turn against humans before the end.

Now that sony are bringing this movie about an AI with a single eyeball that looks like sharon apple and fans of mac + say it is a direct rip off of macross plus, defenders can say that macross plus ripped the idea off 2001: A space Odyssey :lol: Everyone rips off something else, even if they don't know it yet.

Like, from instance, how there is no new movie. It's the same theme done and re-done over and over again. Or retelling the same story over and over again. New packages, different views, same story or theme. :rolleyes:

The biggest one being is good verses evil. :p

Edited by Wheels

I also can't remember Adama lining up a base star and charging up the main gun..... not that it wouldn't have been darn cool  :-)

Just you wait.

So they're two of the same ilk.

I like that ilk, especially with cookies, so i'll take all you got. 'long as it's still good, keep it comin. ;)