Newbie Questions on Macross

anyways, the Compendium doesn't go into much detail. Avionics and other areas? Other areas could be anything from new engines to "folds into Starscream".

Well there's only so much you can do to an existing design before you reach it's technical limit. They may have implemented some ideas from OT (OverTechnology) to get a slightly more effecient engine. Or it could be something like getting the F-14 up to spec of current fighters is use. Probably at this point in the war, they've lost lots of fighters. They have lots of older fighters that could still be used. But considering that they used technology which is 10-20 years old by that time, they need to bring those fighters up to the level that their current fighters were at.

It could be like taking an early 1980s car and modifying the insides of the car to bring it up to an equivalent car of today without changing the look of the car (i.e., no body kits, no lowering, etc). IMO, that's what the F-14s in M0 are.

anyways, the Compendium doesn't go into much detail. Avionics and other areas? Other areas could be anything from new engines to "folds into Starscream".

Well there's only so much you can do to an existing design before you reach it's technical limit. They may have implemented some ideas from OT (OverTechnology) to get a slightly more effecient engine. Or it could be something like getting the F-14 up to spec of current fighters is use. Probably at this point in the war, they've lost lots of fighters. They have lots of older fighters that could still be used. But considering that they used technology which is 10-20 years old by that time, they need to bring those fighters up to the level that their current fighters were at.

It could be like taking an early 1980s car and modifying the insides of the car to bring it up to an equivalent car of today without changing the look of the car (i.e., no body kits, no lowering, etc). IMO, that's what the F-14s in M0 are.

Yeah. I figured Starscream was actually a tad of a stretch.

But hypothetically, the insides of the jet could be all new with only the frame being the same, if I'm not mistaken.

That'd be a LOT diffrent than a standard F-14.

Obviously your ultimate limit is the stress the frame can take, though that limit might can be bypassed with overtech energy armor like the VFs have. Depends on how exactly it works.

I guess that WOULD be bringing the F-14 up to modern spec.

I'm not sure if this should belong in this thread, but I don't think I've ever seen this image before.

Does anyone know which Macross artbook (or print ad) this is from? I'd also like to find this pic without the funky text. :blink:

I really like the flow of Minmay's movement. B))

post-2-1076748633_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if this should belong in this thread, but I don't think I've ever seen this image before.

Does anyone know which Macross artbook (or print ad) this is from? I'd also like to find this pic without the funky text. :blink:

I really like the flow of Minmay's movement. B))

I might be wrong, but that looks like artwork from FB2012... I bet there is a book out there. I would like to find out myself

Here are some Qs

Does anyone know about the development of the original Macross series?

Was it the first transformable-mecha animated cartoon?

How did FASA's Battletech manage to end up with so many re-named Macross mecha? Were they licenced? Or just ripped off?

1) What do you want to know? There's lots of details to cover.

2) Technically....no. Any show that had transforming vehicles would surpass it. This would really depend on your definition of "transform". Shows before Macross have had vehicles which change shape (like MS Gundam).

3) Forgot about that one. PM WDC (white Drew Carey). He should remember that one.

As I understand things, FASA got a license for the lineart, and the Macross mechs were "retired" later after Harmony Gold sued/threatened to sue.

But apparently part of the settlement was "don't talk about the settlement" so no one's ever said exactly what happened. Which is really disappointing since the FASA people are among the few that may have seen Harmony Gold's license.

More likely, FASA got a license to distribute some of the model kits, but not for the lineart. IIRC they were sued for copyright infringement because they used the lineart (or derivatives thereof) in their books.

Here are a couple of places you can learn more about it:

http://www.rpg.net/forums/phorum/rf08/read...144&i=5&t=4&v=f

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&...l.com&frame=off

The enemy in the awesome Macross Plus:

Zentran?

And did they have diff/new mecha?

If so, anyone got a pic or link to a site of those mecha?

Thanx.

The enemy in Macross Plus was either a psychotic computer or our stars' personalities.

The Zentradi DO make a brief appearance in the beginning of the OVA, flying some powered armor. Looks like the same old stuff we've seen before, just with a better animation budget.

Ok, I could probably start a thread... but you will probably tell me its a Newb question <_<

I have a question about the "Glabal Civil War". I have looked around (macross compendium, and a bunch of fan RT & Macross sites) and I find basically "Fan Fic" information in regards to the Civil War:

I'm currious what nations were involved. What I have seen is US, Russian, Japan.. I'm assuming there were other nations involved? Also I'm wondering who was against who?

"Why do I care" you may ask ;) I'm planning out my next batch(s) of "Southcross's Model Monstrosities" and I'm thinking of doing some Global Civil War pieces and I would like to know what nations to portray. Any help would be appreciated

EDIT----

tried re-wording my internet and MW searches... still didn't come up with anything usable...

Nother EDIT----

no response in 6 hours... should I post a seperate thread and get peoples input/opinion if there is no "real" answer?

Edited by Southcross

I have a question about the "Glabal Civil War". I have looked around (macross compendium, and a bunch of fan RT & Macross sites) and I find basically "Fan Fic" information in regards to the Civil War:

I'm currious what nations were involved. What I have seen is US, Russian, Japan.. I'm assuming there were other nations involved? Also I'm wondering who was against who?

The Unification Wars is something we really don't have much info on. We know the beginnings happened in the People's Republic of Garalia in the Middle East.

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...1999/index.html

http://www.anime.net/macross/feedback/index.html#200204a

The war was a global war. Meaning major nations were involved. We also don't know who was on who's side. Egan Loo has pointed out that Russia was part of the UN, however, Anti-UN forces had a heavy Russian influence and Russia in the Macross timeline is not our Russia/former-Soviet Union. Most noted was the destruction of St. Petersburg in Russia. Also noted was the guerilla warfare in the Americas. We don't know who was on who's side since there were factions within factions. In fact, the Anti-UN may not have been a distinct group of countries. The Anti-UN may have been made up of small factions all working independently of one another. We really don't have a clear picture of who the Anti-UN was. The best thing we can do is look at the time period in which Macross premiered. Look at the UN and the super-powers of the 1980s and speculate. Hope that helps.

I have a question about the "Glabal Civil War".  I have looked around (macross compendium, and a bunch of fan RT & Macross sites) and I find basically "Fan Fic" information in regards to the Civil War:

I'm currious what nations were involved.  What I have seen is US, Russian, Japan.. I'm assuming there were other nations involved?  Also I'm wondering who was against who?

The Unification Wars is something we really don't have much info on. We know the beginnings happened in the People's Republic of Garalia in the Middle East.

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...1999/index.html

http://www.anime.net/macross/feedback/index.html#200204a

The war was a global war. Meaning major nations were involved. We also don't know who was on who's side. Egan Loo has pointed out that Russia was part of the UN, however, Anti-UN forces had a heavy Russian influence and Russia in the Macross timeline is not our Russia/former-Soviet Union. Most noted was the destruction of St. Petersburg in Russia. Also noted was the guerilla warfare in the Americas. We don't know who was on who's side since there were factions within factions. In fact, the Anti-UN may not have been a distinct group of countries. The Anti-UN may have been made up of small factions all working independently of one another. We really don't have a clear picture of who the Anti-UN was. The best thing we can do is look at the time period in which Macross premiered. Look at the UN and the super-powers of the 1980s and speculate. Hope that helps.

well crap...

Here is an example... I'm going to do a Macross Zero Stealth Bomber/Fighter... Now both are a product of the USA... Now presuming that was Japan (???) being bombed in the begining of Ep 1 (normally Japan is a US allie)... Also presuming that the US probably contracted the stealth aircraft out to its allies... hmmm maybe the US contracted it out to Taiwan... and Tiawan wanted to bomb out the plasics factories in Japan so the Taiwanese CPS would dominate the market. :scream:

If I threw a logo for a nation on an aircraft and someone comes along and says that Nation A was not alligned with Nation B during the civil war... see my dilema... I could "fan fic" my models, but I like being as true and accurate as I can.

Depends if you're talking about the Yamato 1/48 toys, other toys/models, or the animation/line art.

Yamato 1/48: The forearm armor is different as you state. The other main difference is that the TV FP only come in the Super configuration; the DYRL FP set gives you the option of either Super or Strike (double-barrelled canon on the right pack). I assume the TV pack also comes with the proper stickers for the TV color scheme. (I.e., UN Spacy Logo, not the Skull Team logo on the sides.)

Other toys: too many possibilities for me to cover, but as far as the Yamato 1/60 is concerned, the forearm armor is the same between the DYRL VF-1S Strike and the TV 1J Supers. Not sure about color. The 1S only comes with the Strike cannon (no option to make it a Super) and the 1J's don't have the Strike cannon. Again, I'm pretty sure the stickers accurately represent the difference between TV and DYRL.

Animation/line art: in addition to the forearm armor having a different shape, the fact that there's no Strike armor in the TV designs, and the different paint scheme--the way that the nozzles on the side of the legs are drawn is different. There may be some other differences in detail, too.

If I threw a logo for a nation on an aircraft and someone comes along and says that Nation A was not alligned with Nation B during the civil war... see my dilema... I could "fan fic" my models, but I like being as true and accurate as I can.

The advantage of a fan-fic is just that. It's a fan-fic and no one will complain because it's fan-art. You don't have to be accurate all the time. Sure it's nice and all to be accurate but fan-art (fan-fics, fan drawings, models, etc, etc, etc) is fan-art and doesn't have to follow the set idea of the creator, i.e. if it's fan-art you're doing, one should not be limited to what is written in stone.

The advantage of a fan-fic is just that. It's a fan-fic and no one will complain because it's fan-art. You don't have to be accurate all the time. Sure it's nice and all to be accurate but fan-art (fan-fics, fan drawings, models, etc, etc, etc) is fan-art and doesn't have to follow the set idea of the creator, i.e. if it's fan-art you're doing, one should not be limited to what is written in stone.

Kewl, thanks Azrael :) hmmm that opens up a whole lot of idears... but I'm gonna be mad if I spend many many hours working on my idears and six months later Studio Nue and/or BW decides to release "Civil War" episodes or books <_<

but anywaysies.. thanks again

I've been trying to make it work for days now, and I've finally caved and am asking the question here -_-; I downloaded Macross Plus (Movie Edition) from Imacross4, but I CANNOT make it work... It SAYS it uses xvid mpeg-4 codec... but I've installed it many, many times, trying just about every version I can think of, and it still won't work. In windows media player it simply does not run, but plays the audio after lagging for a long time. In DivX it plays right away, but with VERY scrambled video..

helllp :(:blink::unsure:

helllp :(:blink::unsure:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. The only times I got scrambled video is because the file wasn't completely transfered. Are you sure you got the entire file? I'm also running ANBU-ONE's version of Macross Zero: Volume Three on my Real Audio player and it works GREAT (ditto for DIVX). B))

Lotus: most probably a corrupted file. Not sure if the file on the server is corrupted or it got corrupted in transit. Use Gspot (video utility) to determine its codec and see what's wrong with it. If it doesn't render, then it is indeed corrupted.

Very funny... :D

It stands for "United Nations," as in the world body in existence today, set up in 1945 originally from the Allied nations of WW2 and expanded ever since. After the Unification war, the UN effectively took control of governing the world (in which case, I'll bet the state of Montana was probably part of the Anti-UN...I hear some of those guys have a mortal fear of the UN in the real world... :p ), and the world's military was organized with the UN Army, UN Navy, UN Marines, UN Air Force and UN SPacy. In the Japanese, they actually use the word "Tougou-gun" or "Combined Military," which may give more of a flavor of a union of all the world's military forces.

Edited by Pat Payne

Does anyone know exactly the VF-1 floats? In water I mean. I can't think of any instances from the show, but in DYRL? the super ostrich in floating in the water outside the Protocultre ruin. Its in like half-GERWALK mode, with the arms in fighter mode, but the legs unattached from the body, and the backpack flipped up. The legs are also angled down slightly. Does it have so kind of internal floatation devies of somthing?

*EDIT* If you're looking for where it is in the movie, its at 00:58:57.

Edited by Shmitty

Edit: This is about macronizing a Turkey.

It looks kind of like they did in the episode where Kamujin kidnaps Minmay. He and his men are sitting around drinking giant bottles of wine and eating what look like enormous turkey legs. But if you squint, they could be cow hindquarters, or even mystery meat on a giant stick (kind of like eating a whole hunk of gyro meat on the spit).

Edited by ewilen