Newbie Questions on Macross

Does anyone know why Roy had been stuck a Major for so long (Since MO--->midway into SDF Macross)?

Probably the same logic guiding Isamu in Macross Plus. Too many promotions and you wind up behind a desk instead of a flight stick.

Does anyone know why Roy had been stuck a Major for so long (Since MO--->midway into SDF Macross)?

Probably the same logic guiding Isamu in Macross Plus. Too many promotions and you wind up behind a desk instead of a flight stick.

Also, when you get around major, you're pretty much a supervisor (in the civilian world). From there on, it gets progressively difficult to get higher. You could either impress the brass really badly, suck up to the brass or have political connections. Either way, you're on your way to a desk job. But a major comes pretty close to a desk as is...

Also, when you get around major, you're pretty much a supervisor (in the civilian world). From there on, it gets progressively difficult to get higher. You could either impress the brass really badly, suck up to the brass or have political connections. Either way, you're on your way to a desk job. But a major comes pretty close to a desk as is...

Maybe that's why Focker maintained his reputation as a devil-may-care psycho who flew dogfights while drunk... Who'd dare promote him to a desk job?

with higher military ranks alot depends on politics. For example what officer school you went in can get you up into the ranks or prevent you from being promoted no matter how talented or deserving you are. U.S. military for example if your a mustanger instead of westpoint you wont make admiral, its all a take care of there own.

IF you're West Point you won't make Admiral either.

A Major/ Lt. Commander in real life wouldn't even command a squadron in the U.S. military, Squadrons are commanded by an O-5, a Colonel/ Commander. All the Squadrons of a Carrier Air Wing are Commanded by an 0-6 Navy Captain known as the CAG (Commander Air Group, refers to an earlier time in Naval tradition) HE DOES GET TO FLY, quite a bit and he flies everything on the ship, and has often been known to lead major exercises as the lead aircraft, although in real battle he would most likley be in CIC keeping an overall picture of the situation, but he does have desk work to do, he flies whenever he can get in the flight schedule.

any one know if there was any measurements on the quarters for normal ships in macross?

Im curious how much one of my ship design can hold how many standard rooms would fit it in. est right now using 30' by 30' by 8' rooms it can hold about 744 in the main section

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this came up already but does anyone know where the name macross came from did kawamori just say wow this is a cool name for my anime one day :p was there some other meaning of how he came up witht he name macross??

from Rich

Sorry if this came up already but does anyone know where the name macross came from did kawamori just say wow this is a cool name for my anime one day :p was there some other meaning of how he came up witht he name macross??

from Rich

I remember from the Macross commentary on the Animego set, the name is derived from Macbeth.

Sorry if this came up already but does anyone know where the name macross came from did kawamori just say wow this is a cool name for my anime one day  :p  was there some other meaning of how he came up witht he name macross??

from Rich

I remember from the Macross commentary on the Animego set, the name is derived from Macbeth.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...ross/index.html

Scroll to the bottom.

For example what officer school you went in can get you up into the ranks or prevent you from being promoted no matter how talented or deserving you are. U.S. military for example if your a mustanger instead of westpoint you wont make admiral, its all a take care of there own.

Mustangs can make Admiral too, it's just a little harder than the Academy boys have it. Unless they have recently changed the rules (since I was in back nearly five years ago) you had to be dependent free to get into one of the academies (Naval Academy, West Point, Air Force, and Coast Guard).

In the Navy, they had a program called Seaman to Admiral which was for those who didn't have a 4-year Bachelor's Degree. It originally was to allow you to put on butterbars right away, do a four year tour as an ensign, then go to four years of college. Now it's been combined with some other programs to create the STA-21 program which involves going to college with $10000 per year maximum for tuition only while being paid at your current enlisted paygrade with available promotions. After graduation you put on ensign with a four year tour. This differs from NROTC where you don't get paid more than $100 a month but you get a full ride (tuition, books, room and board) for two through four years depending on your scolarship length.

Unless they have recently changed the rules (since I was in back nearly five years ago) you had to be dependent free to get into one of the academies (Naval Academy, West Point, Air Force, and Coast Guard).

This differs from NROTC where you don't get paid more than $100 a month but you get a full ride (tuition, books, room and board) for two through four years depending on your scolarship length.

You still have to be dependent free and you have to be under 25 to attand one of the academies.

You only partially correct about ROTC (including both NROTC and AFROTC) some guys do get 4 and 2 year scholarships, alot of us don't (like me :D ) we pay our way through school and get a $100 stipend, I know alot of future officers that are delivering pizzas to make ends meet.

I think it has been mentioned before that the Macross Valkyrie pilot rank system is based on the one use by the Imperial Japanese Navy/Army.

And IJN CAGs are normally Lieutanant Commanders/Commanders which are can be non-pilots. Squadron pilots seldom exceed the rank of Lieutenant(Chu-i).

Just like in Macross, many aviators were in fact Petty Officers.

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/ijn_ranking_system.htm

I think it has been mentioned before that the Macross Valkyrie pilot rank system is based on the one use by the Imperial Japanese Navy/Army.

And IJN CAGs are normally Lieutanant Commanders/Commanders which are can be non-pilots. Squadron pilots seldom exceed the rank of Lieutenant(Chu-i).

DYRL however seems to use the Current U.S. Navy system.

was over technogoly applied into the MiG-29?

was it applied to any of the standard fighters at all? i forgot if they were or not...

Anyways...back on topic.

We don't know. Why? Because the UN probably shot them all down. If there was any upgrades with Overtechnology, most likely they were not fleet-wide updates. Individual planes here and there perhaps but not to every MiG in the Anti-UN. In short, your answer would be "No."

DYRL however seems to use the Current U.S. Navy system.

I have to disagree with that. When Max became leader of Skull Flight(Skull Sho-tai) he was referred to as Tai-Cho but that does not indicate his subtitled rank as commander(0-5) but rather captain like one who leads a football team.

And a squad/flight is now much less than a squadon, which is nothing like the US Navy or JMSDF for that matter.

Unless they have recently changed the rules (since I was in back nearly five years ago) you had to be dependent free to get into one of the academies (Naval Academy, West Point, Air Force, and Coast Guard).

This differs from NROTC where you don't get paid more than $100 a month but you get a full ride (tuition, books, room and board) for two through four years depending on your scolarship length.

You still have to be dependent free and you have to be under 25 to attand one of the academies.

You only partially correct about ROTC (including both NROTC and AFROTC) some guys do get 4 and 2 year scholarships, alot of us don't (like me :D ) we pay our way through school and get a $100 stipend, I know alot of future officers that are delivering pizzas to make ends meet.

Sorry, it's been a few years since I was in and I was only a poor working enlisted stiff.

DVD version of the OAV http://www.manga.com/index.php?id=21

DVD version of the movie http://www.manga.com/index.php?id=8

Also VHS versions of both, from the same company, although I don't know if they actually sell the VHS version any more.

The OAV DVD contains both a dub track and soft-encoded subtitles. The movie is hard-encoded subtitles only, because it's a direct transfer of the VHS version (and thus has rather washed-out visuals).

I think the OAV tapes were available as either sub or dub.

That's it for Region 1.

Sorry, it's been a few years since I was in and I was only a poor working enlisted stiff.

Nothing to apologize for. I was just clarifying, you had the main point right.

Ewilen-

Thanks alot! sounds like i should get both....

I would recommend it.

The OVA has more time for character development, etc. And some really nice exclusive scenes. But it's got some serious holes in it where they pried the script open to fit more time in.

The movie is the story as it was originally conceived, and it flows a lot better for it, but you DO lose a fair bit of characterization that they had time to add in the OVA. And it's got some really nice exclusive scenes too, especially towards the end.

Personally, I've been putting off buying the movie DVD. I've got a VHS with some damage(I think it was shipped resting on a speaker or something) that I got as a gift(hence, I couldn't return/exchange it) shortly before they ported it to DVD, and I'm having a hard time justifying paying that much for such a poor DVD(even though I consider my VHS copy pretty much unwatchable past the first viewing).

Ok, I'm sure this is a newbie question and that many of you have fielded it before. I'm sorry if I get long winded in asking it but I want to be clear so hang in there with me. I'm also going to use the "R" word so nobody get mad at me. Once you hear what I'm asking hopefully you'll understand.

1985, I've watched absolutely zero anime. I come across Robotech and I watch it steadily. I loved that show visually and had no idea at the time that it was three different shows spliced together. I did of course notice that it "switched gears" on me a couple of times in the middle of it but I went with it.

Moving up to the late 90's early 2000's a friend of mine at work pointed me towards some anime. I really like this stuff and recognize that Robotech was "like" this in a way. To try and shorten this up some I mentioned to my wife after seeing the Robotech DVD's at Best Buy that I'd really enjoyed that back when it came out and she bought me the box set that contained the "Macross" segment.

Now I'm getting to my question but I bet many of you can already guess where this is going. I started watching Robotech and you know what happened? I can barely sit through it. It drives me up the wall to listen to the voices. I always read subtitles when watching anime now and hate the English voices. Even bigger than that as problems go is the dialog. It's terrible IMO.

Now here's my question. I'll go out and buy the Macross DVD's, find them wherever I have to and bring them home but how does it compare to Robotech? In Japanese with subtitles does Macross come across in a more serious way than Robotech does? Does the story flow better?

What I'm wanting very much not to do is to go out and spend the money for Macross on DVD and come home, watch it, and feel like I do about Robotech. It "feels" like a childrens cartoon for lack of a better term. What do you get with Macross that you don't get with Robotech. How hacked is the Robotech "version" compared to Macross and is watching Macross an appreciably better experience?

I'm sure you've heard that or some variation of it before. If you don't want to fill up space on this board with replies then send them to me via email at hervoyel@sbcglobal.net if you are so inclined.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer me.

Hervoyel

Now here's my question. I'll go out and buy the Macross DVD's, find them wherever I have to and bring them home but how does it compare to Robotech? In Japanese with subtitles does Macross come across in a more serious way than Robotech does? Does the story flow better?

What I'm wanting very much not to do is to go out and spend the money for Macross on DVD and come home, watch it, and feel like I do about Robotech. It "feels" like a childrens cartoon for lack of a better term. What do you get with Macross that you don't get with Robotech. How hacked is the Robotech "version" compared to Macross and is watching Macross an appreciably better experience?

I suggest you go out and buy the set ASAP as Animeigo has discontinued production. You should still be able to find all 9 DVDs if you act soon.

http://www.animeigo.com/Products/MACROSS.t

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewcategory.php?id=14

Here are a few places that still have them in stock:

http://www.tmpanime.com/

http://www.digitaleyes.net/

http://www.rightstuf.com/

http://www.animenation.com/dvd-anime-dvd--...m--macross.html

http://www.ebay.com/

Now to your question(s):

Macross come across in a more serious way than Robotech does?

As serious as Robotech can be. Maybe more...maybe less....

Does the story flow better?

Yes and no. It flows as well as a 36-episode TV series should.

What I'm wanting very much not to do is to go out and spend the money for Macross on DVD and come home, watch it, and feel like I do about Robotech.

You only have our opinions which is for another thread (not this one). The only thing I can tell you is go watch it. If you don't like it, sell it on Ebay. You can listen to us all you want but the only way to satisfy yourself is to watch it yourself. We can sing our praises (as most of us will) but it takes a little effort on your part as well.

What do you get with Macross that you don't get with Robotech.

Opinion question. This thread is not for that. What you do get with the Macross DVDs is a entirely restored cut of the show. Unedited and remastered. Along with a few fan-oriented extras.

How hacked is the Robotech "version" compared to Macross and is watching Macross an appreciably better experience?

Robotech was edited with footage from other series (Southern Cross and Mospeada) to form Robotech. Certain footage was cut/edited for the US audience (edited for television; nudity, gore, that stuff). Dialog was added and edited for the US audience. However, a good deal of the translations match the dialog in Robotech:Macross Saga.

Please see this thread for more information:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=228

I was just wondering when a vf1 'super valkyrie' fully equiped with strike and/or super parts is in fighter mode, can it use the missiles in its arm armors to fire at things behind it? Looks like it would be possible, no obstructions or anything. I just got the idea if someone is on your tail it would be a good way to leave a nasty little present for them to crash right into head first. :)

ALthough I've never seen it in animation, can those missiles in the arm armor be used this way?

I was just wondering when a vf1 'super valkyrie' fully equiped with strike and/or super parts is in fighter mode, can it use the missiles in its arm armors to fire at things behind it? Looks like it would be possible, no obstructions or anything. I just got the idea if someone is on your tail it would be a good way to leave a nasty little present for them to crash right into head first. :)

ALthough I've never seen it in animation, can those missiles in the arm armor be used this way?

Ideally, yes. In practice....probably not. It's hard enough to use the anti-aircraft laser on later VFs. Also, the units hold micro-missiles, which, most-likely, use a heat-seeking targeting system. And deploying those missiles right next to your engines probably isn't a good thing as you may have that one lone malfunctioning missile come after you. Better to be safe than sorry.

Actually i have two newbie questions:

1) In all the the macrosses i have seen (M0, M+, M series/robotech, M7), why is it that its only in M0 and M+ do you see pilots moaning or grunting in pain or even having difficulty to breath when they make complicated manuevers with their valks. (example isamu when skywriting over eden and battling one on one with guld over earth and of course the nora vs. shin dogfight in the final episode of M0), but in the original macross series and m7 (espicially the fire bomber people who dont even where a flight suit) they have no such difficulty.

2) My second question is what do the shoulder guards or thingies of somesort with the gold/yellow-black combo colors on the valk pilots do, i mean do they have somekind of ligitimate tactical/military purpose or something or are they just for show, (I ask this because they seem to be sort of restrictive for a pilot when worn)?

1) In all the the macrosses i have seen (M0, M+, M series/robotech, M7), why is it that its only in M0 and M+ do you see pilots moaning or grunting in pain or even having difficulty to breath when they make complicated manuevers with their valks. (example isamu when skywriting over eden and battling one on one with guld over earth and of course the nora vs. shin dogfight in the final episode of M0), but in the original macross series and m7 (espicially the fire bomber people who dont even where a flight suit) they have no such difficulty.

2) My second question is what do the shoulder guards or thingies of somesort with the gold/yellow-black combo colors on the valk pilots do, i mean do they have somekind of ligitimate tactical/military purpose or something or are they just for show, (I ask this because they seem to be sort of restrictive for a pilot when worn)?

1) Maybe because they weren't doing complicated manuevers in those series? You don't really see people in SDF and M7 pulling off cobra manuevers in the series or banking hard. Well, you do see Gamlin pulling off a roll/turn-on-a-dime move in M7. He was a little stiff when he first did that. Of course, when Max does his (spoiler, highlight to read) roll and shoot move in his VF-22 in episode 44 and 49, the POV is on the fighter and not on him. And the Fire Bomber crew do wear flight suits. Basara's stage outfit also serves as his flight suit. However, he does take liberties of not wearing it sometimes, and they actually wonder about Basara when he goes out and performs some moves without problems. But that remains unanswered.

2) Emergency lights in DYRL?. I'm sure the yellow bands are either lights or more likely reflective material (like that on the jackets of firefighters) It might also serve as armor. Better than the old spandex-look of the SDF flight suits.

Edited by azrael

M0 and M7 are the highest-budget productions.

They sank more cash into the animation, which gave them the time and money to sit around working out proper pilot reactions.

Especially the original Macross series, which is somewhat famous for being shoestring budget and serious time crunch.

Ideally, yes. In practice....probably not. It's hard enough to use the anti-aircraft laser on later VFs. Also, the units hold micro-missiles, which, most-likely, use a heat-seeking targeting system. And deploying those missiles right next to your engines probably isn't a good thing as you may have that one lone malfunctioning missile come after you. Better to be safe than sorry.

That reminds me, in macross plus how did Dyson actually avoid all those micromissiles that Guld unleashed upon him? Nobody could have survived that. When Dyson has a chat to Guld about it, he says that he did a special manuever like in the old days. Calling it the terasaur lift manuever. (Probably because the shadow of his plane looks like one of them flying dinobird things when you look at its shape from below). He cut the engines and just glided with the wind, somehow avoiding the missiles. Would just turning off the power be a useful tactic?

After Dyson says this to Guld, Guld does the same and just glides in the air with him. Those planes were just floating in the air it seems.

I'm thinking that in space after you pushed yourself at high speed, maybe you could do a similar thing and rely on the forward movment you generated, turn the thing off, and fire away.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker