1/72 Resin Monster Model!

AlphaHX

I hate to ask this, but any idea on ETA? I might have to take out a small loan to get this but  :lol:  :lol:

311561[/snapback]

i actually did some work on the foot yesterday, first chance i've had to work on it for a while...i got a couple of big casting contracts that will keep me busy for a month or so but this is still on my radar, i just purchased some modeling board for some of the parts that need it. sorry for taking longer than expected, i've barely been to mw lately but i still have an investment in this project....i will get some pics of the foot progress in the next week or so...

mike

just a peak at the forward part of body, still needs lots of details and some putty but wanted to give you an idea of the size, again coke can for ref....the white insert part is the part that will need to be painted red, that will be cast seperatly. i may even cast that translucent for lights, need to check to see if that is a light up part...

mike

Picture463.jpg

Wow! Being able to add LED's to that would be totally sick! I've got a couple wall transformers here waiting for a good use, and that would be perfect! I might have to get a glass top coffee table, and put this beast on the bottom of it. Then close off the sides, and I have my display case..... My wife better not think about putting any doilees on the top either!

If you are looking for a deposit, I can send you over a couple cases of Coke, to help you burn the midnight oil ;)

Big and beautiful! If only I had the room. :unsure: I scratchbuilt one in 1/100th scale to go with my Imai/Arii/Bandai kits and it is TOO big to display, let alone in 1/72nd! 1/100th was just a phase... I love the small space 1/200 uses, but I'm a 1/72nd scaler at heart since 1st grade! Keep up the great work! - MT

Picture467.jpg

quick update, i noticed after posting the above pics that the side of the body did not look right. I was using some line art as a guide and enlarging the image to use as "blueprints", anyway i made a mistake and distorted an image...so long story short, made some changes to the side of the body and i think it looks much better now, and the best part is once i got one side right i made a paper template and copied i to the other side. Instead of the coke can i dropped in a HCM 1/72 valk for size comparision. keep in mind that is only the front half of the body, hope to get the basic shape for the back this week as it will be way to hot and humid to do much casting on other stuff...

mike

Picture468.jpg

basic shape of the back of the body, in case you can't tell this is hollow, and the main body will be cast in 3 seperate parts, what you see here and 2 bottom parts.

Looks a bit weird now but the shape seems right, it will look more correct once i get the 4 cannon mounts in...

mike

Um, I don't know if you still needed it, but I'm still in for one, maybe 2 depending on taxes and how those go. But keep me for one. And BTW, those pics are B-E-A-utiful!!! Damn, I need this! :p

Picture469.jpg

Todays progress, the engine compartment. I've been looking forward to this :) , it like the other parts is hollow and will have the door exposing the engine. The engine will be cast seperately for easy painting. I've pretty much deceided to finish up all the main structures and then get to the final smoothing and the detailing. the detailing is the most time consuming but also the most fun IMO. today a yamato is overseeing constuction.

mike

Edited by mslz22

Today i worked on the upper leg and the cockpit hatch/windows. The hatch/windows will be cast seperatly and will likely be translucent, so you can mask off the windows, paint the rest green and stick an LED in it :D , the hatch you see now is really just the buck, i need to vac form some styrene over it, cut out the windows and laminate them together. the upper leg and outer detail part, the detail parts on the outside and inside will be cast seperate, that way i only need to build one upper leg (it is also true for the rest of the leg and foot), the detail part is not done yet and it kind of crooked because i am trying to hold it and take a pic at the same time. A cool thing about the leg (IMO) is that unlike the other 1/72 the upper leg is not one solid chunk of resin (as you can see in the last pic), it is much closer to the line art in that you can see inside, i think this really helps keep the sense of scale and detail needed for the model.

mike

Picture470.jpg

Picture471.jpg

Picture473.jpg

Everytime I hit this thread the theme to the Six Million Dollar Man starts running through my head.

Damn but that's looking good.

Man that is gonna be big and beautiful, any idea ballpark-wise what this is gonna run? I am cutting back significantly on my toy/model expenditures this year, but I might have to start scrounging up pennies for this, it looks like a collection centerpiece :)

Thanks everyone, i really want a few things for this kit..one i want it to be accessible, I am going to do everything i can to keep the price in everyones reach, i really want people to have the kit. the other is i am doing everything i can to make it easy to assemble and paint. I know that i personally get "hung up" on kits that have a tricky or "hard" part. I want people to build this, so i am approaching it from a point of could someone finish this in a week or so if they were able to work on it everynight (not counting lighting :D ) and i do want people to have the ability to light it, having the body hollow will not only help the price but also makes running wire nice and easy. I will likely build and light my test shot, and that will become a tutorial on the kit.

thanks again everyone

mike

Man that is gonna be big and beautiful, any idea ballpark-wise what this is gonna run?  I am cutting back significantly on my toy/model expenditures this year, but I might have to start scrounging up pennies for this, it looks like a collection centerpiece :)

319374[/snapback]

This will be a centrepiece for sure.

Read the first post by AlphaHX...

Edited by Viceland

Man that is gonna be big and beautiful, any idea ballpark-wise what this is gonna run?  I am cutting back significantly on my toy/model expenditures this year, but I might have to start scrounging up pennies for this, it looks like a collection centerpiece :)

319374[/snapback]

This will be a centrepiece for sure.

Read the first post by AlphaHX...

319404[/snapback]

Thanks, I neglected to check the first post for editting. I guess skimming the last random half dozen pages wasn't really the inteligent way to scour the thread :p

That sounds pretty reasonable for the size.

Got lots of little stuff done, the leg struts you see here are not final (everything may look a bit wonky because it is all held together with blue tape). got the cannon mount sculpted, now i can mold that and cast 4...got lots some of the arm parts done but they are in various states of ugliness :D . These pics should give you a bit of an idea of just how big this thing will be....

mike

Picture475.jpg

Picture474.jpg

You know what? you're right, that whole thing is just too wonky. I mean there's wonky, and then there's wonky, and this just takes it as the wonkiest ever. You won the wonk award Mike, I hope you're proud of yourself!!

Sheesh, what a wonkerer... :rolleyes::p:lol: