Sci Fi/Fantasy movies

Ooh, ooh! How about They Live? One of the best bad movies ever made! I just got it on DVD the other day!

Edit: I forgot to add this movie for those of you out there who may be into the great 60's horror and sci-fi movies like the old Hammer films. Well, it's a guilty pleasure of mine, and was the first movie to ever scare the bejeezus out of me when I was a kid. It was a little jem of a film called "Island of Terror", and involved a plot where a group of scientists on an isolated island were trying to create a creature which would be beneficial to man by curing cancer. What they got was a deadly monster which fed on human bone, was silicon based, and multiplied faster than rats. This movie was made during the 60's and starred Peter Cushing, the man we all loved to hate as the Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars. The movie is pure cheese, but it is good cheese if you like the good old monster movies of that era. Bad special effects, bad lighting and props, but loads of great acting by decent cast members and a decent story to boot. IMDB information on Island of Terror

And this is for A1. And yes I goofed on the label. The last part should read "Now you know why Crom makes you suffer.":

post-26-1110425847_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Can't go wrong with the original Alien and Aliens... but stop watching after Aliens lest your rage get the better of you.

Also not so much sci fi as it is comedy but check out the BBC miniseries "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" as well as Ice Pirates (finally on DVD!).

If you don't mind strange british humor I'd also recommend Red Dwarf. One of those great smart dumb series.

Preach ON Gobot Fool !!! I am a commited Smeghead one of the funniest shows out there

Ooh, ooh! How about They Live? One of the best bad movies ever made! I just got it on DVD the other day!

Okay, what exactly did you not understand quoted in the above post, Otaku-Smeghead? :D While it was a commercial failure and a stinker, it is a bad film, but I do love it, and it has one of the best fist fight scenes ever put into a movie. Roddy Piper and the other dude should have gotten an Oscar for that scene. :lol: Everytime I see this movie on TV, I have to watch it. It does rule, but it still does not detract from the fact that a lot of people say it was horrible.

Dude They Live Rocked!!!! what are you smoking!?!?

Solairs SUCKED and that Red Mars Movie with Val Klmar

i agree about solaris. no matter how many times i try to watch the movie I kept falling asleep about near the begining. For me falling asleep during a movie is extremely rare.

i agree about solaris. no matter how many times i try to watch the movie I kept falling asleep about near the begining. For me falling asleep during a movie is extremely rare.

which one? I've seen both...and the George Clooney version moves at light speed compared to the snails pace of the original (that interminal "road trip" ugh!) :p

I must admit that as an avid Sci/fi person, I couldnt stand Blade Runner and was greatly dissapointed by it. It was too dark to see much of anything for most of it, the special effects were corny even for that time period (excpet the model miniature work, which I ADORE) and the plot was eh bc/ it was waaaay too open. All in all, I must say that I wanted to love it but couldn't.

which one? I've seen both...and the George Clooney version moves at light speed compared to the snails pace of the original (that interminal "road trip" ugh!) :p

the new one. im been avoiding to watch the old once since I don't want to try to watch the new one again so i can compare the 2. still dont know what did happen or even how it ended.

The Princess Bride: the lesson to be learned from this film is that a small budget can go a long way if you have a good script - and The Princess Bride probably has one of the most quotable scripts around.

Inconceivable!

Jason & The Argonauts: you want complex? You want epic? Well, how about every major

player from Greek mythology, lovingly bought to life by the legendary Ray Harryhausen?

I like his Sinbad movies more, Eye of The Tiger and Golden Voyage. Too bad he's not involved with the new Sinbad films, they can use him to animate Keanu Reeves who'll be palying the lead this time.

The Princess Bride: the lesson to be learned from this film is that a small budget can go a long way if you have a good script - and The Princess Bride probably has one of the most quotable scripts around.

Inconceivable!

I do not think that means what you think it means. :p

Another wierd but cool movie is Donnie Darko. Freaked! is also an awesome movie but it's only available on R2 DVD. :(

Guest Bromgrev
I must admit that as an avid Sci/fi person, I couldnt stand Blade Runner and was greatly dissapointed by it.  It was too dark to see much of anything for most of it, the special effects were corny even for that time period (excpet the model miniature work, which I ADORE) and the plot was eh bc/ it was waaaay too open.  All in all, I must say that I wanted to love it but couldn't.

Ah! Nooo! How can you say that? Plot too open? That's what makes it the greatest film ever made.

That and Rutger Hauer's poetry. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Some more Bad Movies that I LOVE

Hudson Hawk: Say what you will about this film but this is one of my all time top ten IT DOESNT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE!! its great fro what it is.

Big Trouble in Little China: It didnt do well at the Box Office but I love this movie Hong Kong Action Done right by the White Man (Plus I can understand AND translate all the Cantonese in this movie heh :D )

Everyone has mentioned most of my favorates but not "The Final Countdown". Time travel and F-14s. What could be better?

Also you may want to look at

The Core

Disney's Atlantis

The Iron Ginat

The Rocketer

Titan A.E.

Transformers: The Movie

and there are more

Also a word of caution. IMO if you look at Bubblegum Crisis look at the original not the crap the call 2040

People are looking for good sci-fi, well here is a short list of my recommendations (non-anime since I think that was prefered here):

2010 (better movie then 2001, not a Kubrick fan)

The Abyss ('nuff said)

Alien, Aliens (forget the rest, just bad dreams)

Avalon (wierd polish film, but features a hot chick in a MiG pilots suit with a Druganov sniper rifle, but can be slow at points)

Babylon 5 (great series, with "Jello" science and physics)

Blade Runner (classic)

Buckaroo Banzai (raised on this movie, love it)

Cube (great indy movie, the sequels are not as good, but Cube Zero is ok, don't watch Hypercube, it is beyond terrible)

Dune (sci-fi channel remake)

Epoch and Epoch Evolution (low budget but decent storyline with fun characters)

Equilibrium (Farenheit 451 on steroids, very cool movie)

Escape From New York (great flick, forget the sequel it didn't happen)

Evil Dead Series

Farscape

Final Countdown (an actually good time travel story, with realistic aircraft scenes)

Frailty (ok not strictly sci-fi, but a good underrated movie)

the Forgotten (another underrated, not quite sci-fi movie)

From the Earth to the Moon (semi-biographical and a great watch)

Ghosts of Mars (total popcorn movie, gotta love John Carpenter)

the Last Starfighter (again raised on it, and the first movie with good CG effects)

Lord of the Ring Trilogy (I'm relistening to the books at the gym, and this is the only instance where I can say that the film is better.)

Lost Boys (ok, its a teenage vampire movie, but a cool one)

MIB (just the first one)

In The Mouth of Madness (more horror, but very Lovecrafthian)

Near dark (Another great modern day vampire movie, and a mini-Aliens reunion for the cast)

Paycheck (would have been better without ben or the bit at the end, but still a good Philip K Dick movie)

Pitch Black (ok it launched Riddick and Vin Diesel but its still a good movie)

Predator 1+2 (ok AVP is ok for a popcorn movie, but nothing else)

Red Dwarf (love it or you're a total smeg headed ponce)

the Right Stuff (ok, a little more sci-fact, but a cool movie)

The Running Man (Arnie in a Philip K Dick story, good combo)

Soldier (ok I admit I like it, move on)

Species (hot chicks running around naked for better then half he movie, great popcorn watching)

Stargate (the movie, or TV show, enjoyable watching, though the science is flawed)

Star Wars (ok yeah I am pimping for Lucas, but hey I was raised on it and hopefully Ep3 will be better then the last two)

Star Trek 2, Generations, and the one with the Romulans (forget the rest, these are the best trek movies, period, only good part of Generations is seeing Kirk die, twice, or was it three times?)

Supernova (sci-fi horror with plenty of T&A)

Terminator (might as well watch the whole series, though the first one is the best since it doesn't violate causality)

The Thing (John Carpeneters, gotta love it)

Total Recall (See the Running Man)

John Carpenters Vampires (are we noticing a trend yet?)

Well that's the short list, I'm sure I have a longer one elsewhere, and since I didn't include many horror titles it is much shorter.

Edited by Knight26