Star Wars TV Series set between Ep 3 and 4

Magnus

Those crazy guys at millenniumfalcon.com are reporting that the live-action Star Wars tv series will be set to bridge the gap between Ep 3 and Ep 4. They're usually pretty accurate with their forecasting, so i'm gonna go out on a limb and believe it to be true:

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3251

This, IMO, blows salty monkey nads.

We've had to put up with this bloody prequel trend for, what, 7 years now?? Star Wars set the ball rolling, and others picked it up like Star Trek, Macross, Smallville etc... Even Robert Jordan wrote a bloody prequel book!

Enough is enough! If there's one thing I CANNOT stand it's knowing how everything turns out in the end - it honestly detracts SO much from whatever it is i'm watching. While I understand there's something to be said for knowing how things came about, I'm constantly hampered with the knowledge that "Yes, Anakin turns into Vader" "No, Roy doesn't die in Mzero" "Clark will end up with Lois, so the whole Lana love thing is pointless" whenever I watch any of those shows/movies.

I was really hoping that Star Wars would set the ball rolling again by not focusing on the past but instead forging ahead into an untapped future (and while the Expanded Universe is nice, I don't give two craps if it's over-written by a TV series). Those rumours i'd heard of Mark Hamill returning to play an older Luke in a post Ep-6 tv series made it sound incredible! Just think how cool that would be to see the restoration of a new Jedi Order on screen, following the exploits of some NEW, original characters, who we don't already know how/when they die. <_<

Instead, we'll probably see Vader wipe out MORE Jedi (how sunny! :p), or follow Boba Fett around until he trips and falls into the Sarlaac. If it's the adventures of Young Han and Chewie, I will murder someone. :angry:

Personally, I'd like Star Wars better with no Jedis in it.

I think a between series would be cool. Empire up to strength and the start of the rebellion. Vader could be around since it is just a guy in a suit (the voice would probably get a new actor).

I guess they could still have Luke in it similar to the way they did the Indy Jones series. Have an older Luke be teaching a class of new Jedi and fade into the story Luke is telling.

You mean the scenes that got cut for the video releases? All in all, I'm a tad leary on this whole TV idea. If done well, it might be worthwhile. It would be nice if they explored other parts of the story. Kind of like the "Tales from" short stories. I can't really see them focusing too much on the Rebellion, as they had won their first major battle before ANH. Still, it might be interesting to see more of the great Jedi purge and Mon Mothma and Garm Bel Iblis founding the Rebel Alliance. I guess it will all depend on how good Episode III turns out to be. Still, I'd rather see sequels as I do agree that knowing how the story ends does tend to detract from things. There's so much interesting material to cover post RotJ. The fall of Coruscant, the reformation of the Jedi Order, the establishment of the New Republic, and so on. I've enjoyed the EU quite a bit, and would love to see some of it put to film, however unlikely it would be.

I'm looking forward to this too. Ep 3 has made me go all ultra hopeful. One good thing that can't be denied: GL won't be directing. Every SW fan's dream will come true. He'll be the exec producer but leave it all up to others. with his approval of course. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to this too. Ep 3 has made me go all ultra hopeful. One good thing that can't be denied: GL won't be directing. Every SW fan's dream will come true. He'll be the exec producer but leave it all up to others. with his approval of course. :rolleyes:

Well, if the rumors of Kevin Smith directing it turn out to be true... I'd gladly take Lucas back. Smith is stupidly overrated and the complete opposite of entertaining.

I hope all the Jedi die in ep3. The charm of Star Wars was that the whole force factor was a mystisicm that was in the background and it was only possessed of about 3-4 characters and even then, hardly used and never trumped true human spirit or was used excessively.

Now everything we've gotten force (no pun intended) fed to us in the prequels makes it a force-fest and hundreds of Jedis all swinging CG glowsticks (originally, they were hand animated by Nelson Shin, director of The Transformers and creator of the studio that animates the Simpsons) and flipping around with wire tricks really ruins it all.

• 1 month later...
Well, if the rumors of Kevin Smith directing it turn out to be true... I'd gladly take Lucas back. Smith is stupidly overrated and the complete opposite of entertaining.

You guys DO understand that this is a TV show, right? There will be several different directors and they'll all have names you've never heard of, because most of us don't really pay attention to the "directed by..." credit on a TV show. Average TV show eps per season - 22. Yeah, you'll get a movie director doing all of that... :rolleyes:

If he's involved in any way (which I haven't really heard that he is other than stupid fanboy rumor) - he'd likely be onboard with scripting or some sort of producing credits.

BTW - can anyone truly be "smartly overrated?" Also, the true opposite of entertaining is Carrot Top. Get your facts right, man!

An exerpt from Lucas' appearance at Celebration III, from SW.com

Not the first question, but probably the one most anticipated by fans was about the future of Star Wars on television. "You know we're doing a pilot television series now called Clone Wars," said Lucas. "Well we're going to take that and turn it into a 3-D animated version full series." Lucas described the episodes as being 30 minutes in length.

"We're also working on a spin-off series," he added, "with some characters who have appeared before that will be a live action series. We're probably not going to start that for about a year. Like on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, we want to write all the stories for the entire first season all at once. I'm going to get it started, and hire the show runners and all of that, then I'll probably step away." Even host Jay Laga'aia had a hard time concentrating after that news.

Elaborating on the television series' setting in the chronology of the saga, Lucas explained that the idea currently in development takes place between Episodes III and IV. "There's none of the main characters from I, II, and III (or IV, V and VI for that matter) in the..." he stopped in mid-sentence. "Well, actually, that's not exactly true now that I think about it. We haven't really started the TV show, so it's hard to answer. There's a lot of issues that are connected, but you won't necessarily see a lot of the people that are connected."

A fan asked the chances of exploring the KOTOR-era Jedi or the origins of the Sith on TV, and Lucas stated that if the television projects are successful, he would examine the possibility of moving elsewhere in the saga.

The beauty of television is the the channel can be changed so that you do not have to watch something if you don't like it. Personally, I'd love too see how this turns out, and so I suspect my TV will be set to the required channel.

Isn't it great that we can have it both ways?

On TheForce.net..

**EP3 SPOILER**

The actoress for Aayla Secura claims her character didn't die, and that she's "waiting to hear back from Lucas" on a major part in the new TV series"

I tried to make this as hard to read as possible, for those of you who don't want to be spoiled on the movie...

Anyhow, my guess is that it will cover the flight of a group of Jedi, as well as the heyday of the Empire (assuming the above is true.)

I'm REALLY skeptical, though. Lucas on TV... has never been good.

Television is dead.

Not necessarily. Recent shows like Farscape, Firefly and Battlestar Galactica have shown that you can do high quality sci fi on a moderate budget.

HIGH quality!????

Dude, BSG is so budget... Think about it this way, if you saw 5 min of it and you didn't know what it was, you would KNOW it wasn't a movie you were watching.

It will be a live action version of the old DROIDS! cartoon and comic!

actually if it were i wouldnt mind.i think it would be quite interesting and youd be able to include innumerable stories and story arcs..star wars was always intended as the story that takes place around these two out of place droids

Television is dead.

Not necessarily. Recent shows like Farscape, Firefly and Battlestar Galactica have shown that you can do high quality sci fi on a moderate budget.

I gotta go with A1. It's not a question of good sci-fi or not... it's a question of good TV in general. I remember being a kid and getting up on Saturday morning and having nothing but cartoons on all three major networks from the time I got up 'til noon. A little later, you could find a decent sitcom on at least one of the networks between the hours of 8:00 and 11:00.

Today, there's nothing but news programs on TV on Saturday mornings. And good luck finding a good sitcom. It's all cheesy reality TV (seems like Fear Factor is on every time I turn on the TV) or crime/medical dramas. When I do happen across a sitcom, it's usually not even funny.

Television is dead.

HIGH quality!????

Dude, BSG is so budget... Think about it this way, if you saw 5 min of it and you didn't know what it was, you would KNOW it wasn't a movie you were watching.

On the flip side of the coin, high budget does not necessarily equal high quality.

Look at the number of big budget Hollywood blockbusters that are absolutely dire (about 99% of them these days IMO).

And nobody said the new BSG is supposed to look like a movie.

Graham

I'm glad they're not making it take place after RotJ. Doing so would end up completely screwing up the continuity of the novels, and I vastly prefer that universe to whatever Lucas and crew would come up with.

Now, I'd love it if they'd make a TV series out of Rogue Squadron or something of the sort.

I don't know, I'd be happy for the post-ROTJ be in part swept clean and rewritten. Some, but not all, of it is pretty bad IMO.

I don't know, I'd be happy for the post-ROTJ be in part swept clean and rewritten. Some, but not all, of it is pretty bad IMO.

What, no love for The Crystal Star? Or what about Darksaber? Surely you must have loved The New Rebellion. Truce at Bakura? :p

I am actually excited about this show...I cant wait for it.

Twich

Any chance to see more Vader action... I was actually beside myself with enthusiasm to see him force-choke a friggin' M&M last night.

Is B. Arthur going to be on this show? :ph34r:

No characters from the movies? Harrison Ford too busy? I wouldn't be surprised if R2-D2 and C-3PO show up.

If you mean Bea Arthur, I will hit you with the Learnin' 2x4 ©® ... :p

Since '3PO and Artoo are considered to be the viewpoint characters, I'd be greatly surprised if they DON'T show up in any new TV series.

Edited by Pat Payne

The only semi-funny US sitcom at the moment IMO is Malcom in the Middle.

Graham

Arrested Development is every bit as good.

Of course, it might get the axe after this season... but it's funny as hell.

Scrubs is also pretty funny.

Edited by Blaine23

I was at CIII and had a chance to goto George Lucas's Q&A session and he hinted to it.

But when he came through the R2 Builders room for a private tour he said "Now we know where to come to get Droids for the TV series."

I even had a chance to get my picture taken in a group photo with him.

Astromech.net

It's on the front page.

Scot

post-26-1114630378_thumb.jpg