DYRL!

Wastegate13

This movie is awesome!! I have never seen the actual Macross series and the only experience I had with Macross previously is Robotech and Macross Plus. I ordered the Perfect Edition DVD from Valkyrie Exchange last week and it shipped out on the 12th. I recieved it today in the mail and was packaged nicely. This movie was more than I was expecting although there were some strange happenings in it. In the battle between Max and Millia was he flying a VF-1S? It sure looked like it to me. Now does Yamato even make a Max DRYL in anything other than VF-1A? Max has always been my favorite character and I would like my first collectible to be a 1/48 DYRL 1J or 1S, I have never been a fan of the 1A head. Anyway I know I'm preaching to the converted here since I am sure you all loved this movie way before I knew about it. Who would have thought that a movie as old as I am would be so great?

Welcome to MW, wasteland. Any questions you may have can be redirected to the Newbies thread pinned on top or doing a simple search function.

And yes that's a 1S u saw in the movie because with the death of Roy, Max was promoted to Skull Leader and when HE went missing, Hikaru became Skull Leader.

There has been no 1S version of the Max from Yamato. However you can buy the 1A version, then get recasted 1S heads from Rohby and then hollowed out lasers from...uhhh....a member here, I forgot. (Too many names around here).

Enjoy your stay. ;)

I actually only saw DYRL just last year. I was a big SDF Macross and Macross Plus fan when I was younger but lost interested here and there and when I came back to it, I found out that SDF Macross had a movie made long time ago that I didnt even hear about or seen. So I found it, got it, watched it and was just blown away how good the action and drawing was for that time. Great great movie imo. ;)

My only gripe is there should have been more Max in the movie!! I mean Hikaru is great and all but Max was the better pilot and I think he ended up with the hotter girl in the end. ;) I am enjoying my stay presently and hope to continue to. Looks like now all I gotta do is find a DYRL 1/48 Max and get a 1S head and the strike pack. That will be my ultimate display piece. :ph34r:

DYRL? was the amazing experience that brought me to Macross. Before it, I had very little interest in the series. Having watched Robotech in the mid 80's like most, it turned me into a MOSPEADA fan, to the point where I actually had a few of the original Japanese toys back then. So yeah, i'm right there with ya, its good stuff.

Me too! And it was a copy of a copy of a copy of... Well, it was almost unreadable but I still have it (I don't dare to watch it again though :ph34r: )

No need to say that the whole story was completely ununderstandable of course :p

I just watched DYRL last night.... first time ever, and I've been an anime fan for almost 20 years!

Great animation, char designs, costumes, music and especially mecha!

But the story.... oh god, it was so butchered... and it wasn't Clash of the Bionoids!

Edited by armentage

But the story.... oh god, it was so butchered...

I just watched it again: As much as I agree with fans it was a good movie, it's too fairy tale for my tastes. (singing a song to magically make the aliens defect from thier leader? Way too simplified, bordering on the same level as macross II)

I really think now that starting halfway into the journey wasn't a good idea imo because anyone who had not seen the series will be missing out on important stuff like the Zentradi's reasons for attacking.

And the movie made music the sole saving grace, whereas in the series, music was just feared like anything else as a potential weapon since the zentradi only know war which I think was a more realistic way to handle the culture shock idea.

The ancient memory plate idea compressed all the events in the tv series. All the characters who aren't involved in the love triangle are glossed over and some of the ones I wanted to see (Kamjin) aren't there. Also some of the cool things like battles on the surfaces of planets were gone. They could have done some cool stuff with enemy pods fighting vf1s on earth.

The series allows the focus to be on the war (and answers a lot of the "HOW?" and "WHY?" things happened) as much as the relationships between the characters.

The movie focuses all on the love triangle. (no explanation as to why a huge ship must transform or why they can't escape from the aliens. How easy would it have been for them to put some extra scenes in showing the bridge crew recieving information about damage to the ship?)

If you want a good story, with characters who develop and mature over the course of time, watch the series.

If you want great animation, and excellent action mech battle scenes, watch the movie. Much easier on the eyes but be prepared to miss out on important lifechanging events to the characters in the tv series. for eg Max's sudden love for milia is so glossed over in the movie it is funny imo. You almost ignore it because it is so brief.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Actually, watching DYRL made me reflect back on the original series. Truly, it was a stupendously great TV show. There was just SO MUCH there! It's been a good 10 years since I last watched it (as ROBOTECH!) but wow... I remember why I fell so in love with it.

Do I remember my macross Love?!!

All the characters who aren't involved in the love triangle are glossed over and some of the ones I wanted to see (Kamjin) aren't there.

Actually, he is:

it's the one who kills Roy IIRC

:)

One thing they don't explain in DYRL that I thought was a very important part of the story is Max and Millia getting together. I know they both show up later in the final battle in Q-Rau's but it was like they looked at each other and then next thing you know they are fighting side by side. Still an awesome movie. Now does anyone have a subbed version of the series they feel like parting with? :D

Welcome to the club Wastegate13. You've made a very wise decision watching DYRL! For it is the greatest film ever, EVER made. And yes, that includes Live action film as well. To give you an example, if you'd ask me what I thought was better between any of the Matrix movies, any of the Star Wars movies, any of the Lord of the Rings movies, and of the Indiana Jones movies, any of the Bruce Lee movies, or any film by say, Speilberg or Martin Scorcese, I would laugh in YOUR FACE at such a ridiculous question and tell you that Macross DYRL beats any of those movies by an VERY LARGE margin! It's THAT freakin good!

The scene at the end where Hikaru flies through that tunnel and blasts his way through, then proceeds to raise his Valkarie cannon and unloads on Badolza while they show Minmay in the background, is the greatest scene in the history of movies. It's nothing short of orgasmic!

I have purposely avoided watching DYRL for the past three years, because I don't want to ware out the experience and want it to seem fresh and be blown away when I finally watch it again on a 100" screen courtesy of the new front projector I plan on buying in the next couple months! It's gonna RAWK! futamidance5jw.gif

You kids are lucky. Back in my day, the only way to see DYRL proper, was to track down a fansub, or buy the VHS Hong Kong dub.....

HA! I first watched it raw on a VHS copy made from the LD. :p

That was the exact same way I watched DYRL. I was a huge fan of Macross back then, and in anime in general. I'd watch any anime I could get my hands on. Usually dubbed VHS tapes from friends (who were rich enough to own LD players and copy from them). My friend lent me this tape with some other HK movies on it, along with "a movie with giant robots in it". I thought it would be Gundam or something

When I started watching the opening scene I just about $hit my pants because I had no idea they made a movie. Breetai (sp?) and Exodol looked different so I still hadn't clued in it was Macross, but when the SDF-1 came into view I couldn't beleive my eyes. I thought I hit the jackpot.

I never gave VHS copy back to my friend.