It's Poke-Tech

Knight26

I used to think about a Robotech CCG back when i used to play Magic. Ani-Mayhem also not only used BGC and Tenchi, but also Ranma 1/2, El Hazard, Tank Police, Project A-Ko, Armitage, and Dragonball Z.

Definately not the first anime to be made into a CCG, anyone remember Ani-Magic the CCG with Bubblegum Crisis and Tenchi Muyo?

Still though... I didn't know people still played CCGs. Welcome to 1998.

I thought it was called Ani-Mayhem?

I think I still have a few cards, the most powerfull I remember was from Tenchi Muyo.

I actually thought up some Macross cards for the old Star Wars CCG (Decipher's version)...I don't remember any of them though :(

Despite my hatred of all things CCG, as long as it has new New Gen art, which is of course just a hop and skip to being Mospeada art, I'm on board.

But based on the previous trading cards combination of existing art (screen caps and Tommy Yune images)... -_-

Cyc

Most CCG's suck, no reason to expect the Robotech game to be any different. Not even for any dislike of Robotech itself. I hate most CCG games of franchises I enjoy.

Then again, the one and only CCG that I've ever played and enjoyed was Illuminati:New World Order.

:lol:

But you forgot the casting/deployment cost as well as the stupid character quote! ;)

Yeah, like Radd said, everybody's doing it. Do we really need an announcement of everything HG does here? I mean, they have their own website if one was that curious...

:lol:

But you forgot the casting/deployment cost as well as the stupid character quote! ;)

Yeah, like Radd said, everybody's doing it. Do we really need an announcement of everything HG does here? I mean, they have their own website if one was that curious...

Some people really love to bash HG. I only do it part-time. :D

1st, we'll see if this is a successful idea hopefully HG will put lots of money on it and when it blows they'll go bankrupt.... but in any case talking 'bout shows with cards and their fans I think that Robotech is well on the same line of Yugioh and Pokecrap, shows only for foolish masses and geek, nerdy kids... :angry:

Despite my hatred of all things CCG, as long as it has new New Gen art, which is of course just a hop and skip to being Mospeada art, I'm on board.

But based on the previous trading cards combination of existing art (screen caps and Tommy Yune images)... -_-

Cyc

One of the guys from the company that is doing the cards said they may have to rely on the screen caps for the art. He said so in the RT.com forums. I would buy for new art from Mospeada (New Gen) if it was good.

Robotech is well on the same line of Yugioh and Pokecrap, shows only for foolish masses and geek, nerdy kids... :angry:

I hardly think that Macross differentiates itself from Robotech in terms of being any less "geeky" and "nerdy".

Come on... look at us. Anime. Spending much more than is the socially accepted norm on toys for folks in their 20's and 30's. Adamantly demanding subtitles over dubs. Even now having passionate opinions regarding some hack of an American company and a cartoon they produced 20 years ago for kids. All over manglings of the original material, with which it shares more than it actually differs.

Macross being any less geeky? Not. These sorts of things get raised eyebrows, even in Japan. If Robotech attracts to geeky kids, then Macross caters to geeky adults. At least the former still have the hope of growing out of it. :p

The only thing folks liking Robotech can be accused of is bad taste. And of that I'm still vaguely guilty. :ph34r:

-Al

Edited by Sundown

One of the guys from the company that is doing the cards said they may have to rely on the screen caps for the art. He said so in the RT.com forums. I would buy for new art from Mospeada (New Gen) if it was good.

I know this, considering that response was in reaction to me asking about that point :)

Actually they said it might be a combination, but I'm guessing that primarily they'll rely upon HG to do most of the grunt work artwise, which means it's the trading card set all over again -_-

Cyc

I know this, considering that response was in reaction to me asking about that point :)

Actually they said it might be a combination, but I'm guessing that primarily they'll rely upon HG to do most of the grunt work artwise, which means it's the trading card set all over again -_-

Cyc

That's funny, I just breeze through the forums on RT.com. So I guess you've been told twice. :lol:

New artwork by good artists for these cards would be great, but I guess that is to much to ask. No Mospeada art = no sale.

New artwork by good artists for these cards would be great, but I guess that is to much to ask.

My guess is that they will use remastered still from the various series. The big determiner then is exactly what stills do they use? At least in my case, I'm hoping they actually put some thought into what cells they choose from Southern Cross. All three series suffered from bouts of bad animation thanks to less than inspired hired out help. I'd rather have a poke in the eye than to buy cards with Macross stuff on them....but even I would draw the line at using sh*tty animation stills. Determining which poses for mecha and so forth say 'Well, THATS what a Valkyrie or a Spartas (or whatever) should look like' should be among their top priorities.

Card games are sold in part by the art they use. I loved the old Middle-Earth: The Wizards CCG by ICE because it had artwork from the top Tolkien artists like Alan Lee, John Howe, Angelo Montanini, Liz Danforth and others. If they hire out help or use shots from the various colour comics, I would rather they used Fred Perry's artwork from the old Antarctic Press series Rolling Thunder for Southern Cross equipment. I preferred his version of Dana as she looked closer to the original.

My other main concern is that the mechanics will blow chunks. If they aim this game at the under 13 crowd then it will have low complexity. I would rather hope they actually made a high complexity card game that allows for victory conditions on more than one path.

My other main concern is that the mechanics will blow chunks.

In theory, a CCG (or some kind of card game--maybe more like Avalon Hill's UP FRONT game) is a great idea, but of course this is the crux of the matter. I have little doubt that HG and their licensee have calculated that the game will sell (or not) purely on the basis of the Robotech name; therefore there's no need to spend time & money developing something that's worth playing more than once or twice. Just look at how Battlecry and Invasion were received.