Shopping advice needed

Laserstorm

Well, since this is my first post here, first I'd like to say:

"Macross World -'unofficial site' , my ass."

More likely this is a propaganda website for everything related to Macross. :p

After being here for like 10 days, I allready wanna buy a Valkyrie toy. There have to be sumbliminle(sp?) messages hidden in posts on this forum or something. I will have to placate these urges, at least for a while, so feel free to help me choose which one. I don't care which type it will be, i.e. VF-1S or VF-1A or VF-1J (as long as its not Milia's VF-1J,as I can't picture myself flying a red plane), I'm

trying to decide in which manufacturer should I put my trust in. Will it be Yamato, Toynami or Bandai? I'll tell you which atributes are most important to me, also bear in mind that I will be buying only 1 (in letters ONE) valk, so I will be wanting the most bang for a buck. Anyway let's start:

playability: since I'm going to keep it on my comp. desk and I'm bound to

fiddle with it from time to time, its important to me to be able to

transform it without a constant feeling in my guts that it will brake.

Which one has the best articulation, greater number of accessories?

looks: Its important to me for the fighter to be proportionate(sp?). I don't like

the way Bandai ones look, their wing are to small compared to their body

and the way the battroid head sticks out (like a t**d in a punch bowl :D).

Which one has the best details?

ruggedness: there isn't much to say about this category so I'll just ask

which one will take more punishment? I mean which one will

last more, whose joints won't get loose after a few transformations,

after how much time will they get loose, who has the best quality of

plastic? Grade please, and feel free to point to something I missed.

price: So which one will give the most bang for the buck? Also if I'm able to

find them all with aproximately the same price, which one should I buy?

I've seen MPCs and Yamatos on one website going for the same price.

Based on this categories, which one shall be my new friend ([snowman\] I will call

him George, and I will pat him and hug him... [/snowman])?

PS. Forgot to mention that I'm taking Yamato 1/60 into account, not 1/48.

i still like yamato the best, especially the Elint Seeker ( which i still need to pick up), i have the VF-1J with GPB armor it is very nice as well. i do not like Toynami at all when it comes to the VFs they have done a nice Alpha Fighter, but from what i am seeing and hearing there VFs suck big time, so stick with yamatos, the Bandai are nice very sturdy but they are reissues from the 1980's so do not expect cutting edge transformations and technology in them, though they are definetly the strongest if you drop one of those chances are it will probably survive. :p go for Yamatos in the smaller scale department, either that our just save your money and get a 1/48 which I recomend the most.

by the way welcome to Macrossworld

chris :)

Welcome to MW. Pony up and get a 1/48 Yamato. You'll not be disappointed. Yeah they're expensive and like 99% plastic, but they're hands-down the best representation of a Valkyrie we'll probably ever see.

If you're looking for opinions on what to buy from our exalted bunch of misfits, the near unanimous consensus will be for you to get the 1/48 scale VF-1 series from Yamato; it is, by far, the most detailed, articulated, gimmick ridden representation of the VF-1 ever produced in toy form from any manufacturer. Now, if you're only going to get one VF, I'd recommend one of the two "hero" planes from the series: Roy's VF-1S or Hikaru's VF-1J (w/ Fast Packs if you can afford it); no matter which 1/48 VF you choose, however, you won't be disappointed...they are all beautifully engineered pieces of art that will stand up to a lot of play--just keep in mind to be careful with the infamous bp8 (back pack hinge) as this is this toy's Achilles' Heel.

I would stay away from the Bandais unless they hold some special, nostalgic, sentimental value for you as their design is quite dated and their proportions leave much to be desired. On the up-side, those things are bricks and in the case of a nuclear war the only things left standing will be cockroaches, Cher, and chunky monkeys. :)

I would also avoid Toynami's VF series, with the possible exception of the VF-1R--only because of it's uniqueness. Their proportions, while superior to the old Bandais, still fall way short of what is available from Yamato (1/60 or 1/48). Also, their quality and longevity is highly suspect. They do come in a nice box, but that is about all they have going for them.

There you have it. For my money there is no substitute for Yamato's 1/48 in the VF-1 arena. The one word that best describes the feeling of handling a 1/48, as opposed to all others, is satisfaction...they are pricey but worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents...hope it helps, and welcome MW--you're now "One of Us", and may your wallet survive. :ph34r:

Edited by mechaninac

I know 1/48 Yamato are the best, but I just can't afford them. I live in Serbia-Montenegro in Europe, so the shipping has to be taken into account. That's why I'm taking only one now, because as soon as I finish colegge and get meself a job, it'll be Yamato 1/48 heaven for me then.

Ruggedness = Bandai... 'nuff said!

but seriously, don't start... for goodness sake... save yourself... :ph34r:

:unsure:

I hope that:

1. you're graduating soon

2. gonna be a plastic surgeon to the european celebrities like Beckham and Posh

cuz when they stop making the 1/48s (which seems like it's soon) the prices are gonna skyrocket... just ask tisinc.

or you can marry Godzilla, you guys decide who will the bride.

Edited by >EXO<

Toynami's

They do come in a nice box, but that is about all they have going for them.

I agree, get a Roy 1S or Hikaru 1J from Yamato while you can. I wish Yamato would just give me a stinking repaint! I want a Max TV-VF-1A version! I'd buy one or two. (Godzilla would buy 5-10 ;) )

Also, the Toynami's come in nice boxes, but I just looked at mine and am noticing that the boxes are sorta coming apart, like the glue on the ends have stopped working and the edges are starting to warp. i noticed these on all my macross saga ones except for the archer, probably cuz it's newer, but all these things do is sit in my room on top of a shelf out of sunlight. i wonder if cold temps are doing this?

well, if you want something low cost,, get a 1/60 yamato,, those you can just play around at your desk all the time. They are fairly cheap. And they look good on nearly all postes. (around $30-85)

Of course if you have the cash you should get a 1/48 yamato,, it's looks realy good, with lots of small details everywhere, but the total cost will $100-$300 depending on which one you want.

If you really want to spend as little as posiable get a banpresto they are around the size of a Msia gundam figures, but can still transform to all 3 forms and is also very postable. (around $10)

Also IMO the 1/60 has the best fighter mode off all Valkyrie toys. (irony is I've got all the 1/60's in battloid just to save space).

same here. :lol:

i tried to display all of them in fighter mode but it takes up too much space. :(

back on topic,

get a 1/48 and call it a day. don't wait too long cause if you snooze you lose and the prices on these puppies is going up. either pay out the butt now or REALLY pay out the butt later.

Laserstorm, if you are still deciding between Yamato 1/60, Bandai 1/55, and Toynami 1/55, go with the Yamato 1/60. It looks the best compared with the other two. You already stated you don't like the looks of the Bandai. The Toynami doesn't look much better and the quality is suspect.

I must add that the Yamato 1/48 is the best of the bunch.

I think I could turn gay for a crack at Godzillas colletion. :p

The 60s do have a pretty good fighter mode but the gerwalk mode pokes goats. They also get wery floppy after a few transformations. :(

For playing with nothing beats a 1/55, except maybe a joke machine. :)

I think I could turn gay for a crack at Godzillas colletion. :p

The 60s do have a pretty good fighter mode but the gerwalk mode pokes goats. They also get wery floppy after a few transformations. :(

For playing with nothing beats a 1/55, except maybe a joke machine. :)

You are assuming I like to be gay but nope, nadda, no way Jose, hell no... etc. you get the drift. (Sounds like the Capitol One commercial) Wonder what happens if I offer half my collection for someone to introduce me to a nice woman. hmmmm.... :ph34r:

You are assuming I like to be gay but nope, nadda, no way Jose, hell no... etc. you get the drift. (Sounds like the Capitol One commercial) Wonder what happens if I offer half my collection for someone to introduce me to a nice woman. hmmmm.... :ph34r:

*Scrambles to get cousin's number in vancouver*

She's too good for you, but for 30 1/48s... what the hell, who really cares!

You are assuming I like to be gay but nope, nadda, no way Jose, hell no... etc. you get the drift. (Sounds like the Capitol One commercial)  Wonder what happens if I offer half my collection for someone to introduce me to a nice woman. hmmmm.... :ph34r:

LMAO :lol::lol::lol:

You are assuming I like to be gay but nope, nadda, no way Jose, hell no... etc. you get the drift. (Sounds like the Capitol One commercial)  Wonder what happens if I offer half my collection for someone to introduce me to a nice woman. hmmmm.... :ph34r:

You're probably right. She maybe too good for me. ;)

also bear in mind that I will be buying only 1 (in letters ONE) valk, so I will be wanting the most bang for a buck.

You say you are only getting "ONE", but i would bet against that.

I thought i would be getiing one also, at one point and time.

I now have (4) 1/48's, and (11) 1/5 Bandai's.

Bottom line dude, a 1/48 is the most bang for your buck.

If this is your first Valk though (and you are not getting a 1/ 48), i would go for a Bandai 1/55.

Those babies are sweet!

You can transform them like 100 times, drop em, etc... and they still don't break. (Normal drops, not body slams unto solid concrete :blink: )

The Bandai 1/55 are the perect thing to get for your very first Valk.

They have a solid strudy plastic perfect and uses a "perfect" transformation.

While the Yamato 1/60's are fragile, and you need to take off the legs to transform them.

The Yamato 1/60's look real good, but you have to ba careful.

If it's your first Valk, go with a Bandai.

Afterwards (cause and there will be more coming) then try the more delicate Yamatos. I tell you there is nothing like a 1/48 brahda!

Edited by fansubs2000

From what you typed Laserstrom it sounds like you should buy a Bandai.

It meets like every criteria.

As much as I like Yamato's they are fragile. crap falls off them really easy but they look good displayed.

You can't go wrong buying a 1/55 Bandai and a 1/60 Yammie cuz neither are a ton of money.

I don't own a 1/48 so I can't comment on that one.

Edited by Panzer

Çhrist people yamato's are NOT that fragile!! I own a dragon wings 1/72 DIECAST metal F-16, and trust me THAT thing and hasbro alternators are a TON more fragile than a 1/48 and a 1/60. Those the 1.60 was meant to appeal to the diecast aircraft market it sure is a lot more durable! And 1.48? I could manhandle that thing into battroid in les than 2 minutes while I take 5 minutes worrying about not breaking my alternator smokescreen transforming to battroid. Yes I play with my toys. A lot. And yes I have models. All my models are broken. All my toys are not. This should say a lot alone.

I have a 1/60 yamato but probably plan to get a 1/48 eventually. I truthfully dont know about the VF-1 yamatos since I've only transform mine a few times but I transform the living hell out of my yamato yf-19... and I must say, its quite sturdy. Just to let you know how much I dont care about the yf-19, I got it for like 20 bucks, its blue and I plan to mod the living heck out of it sooner or later so I play around with it every once in awhile and it holds up quite well. The biggest problem imo, is that the paint gets scratched up really easily even if you transform it carefully. Its really up to you for what you want. IMO, you can play with any of them a hundred times a day, it just depends on how aggressive you are. Obviously if I hammer my yf-19 from fighter mode to battroid mode, we'll going to have some problems. My biggest warning to you for yamato is that the paint gets scratched quite easily on the diecast parts. If this doesnt bother you, yamato should be the choice for you. Hope this helps...

I have currently just one of each...a VF-1S 1/60 and the same in 1/48 scale. The 1/48 is a little more fragile than a 1/60...but we're adults, we need to be careful with our toys ;) ...I treat my 1/48 as an overpriced model kit :p sometimes parts are too stiff and you'll want to rip them apart with your manly strength. :p:lol: There's also a lot of gimics on the 1/48...like the radar in the nose, airbreak, and the feet slide in and out. If you're into detail and gimics then go ahead with a 1/48. My 1/60 has been transformed so many times I've literally lost count. My only complaint is the paint chipping on the legs. I feel the 1/60 is pretty well ballanced, if you put in the right pose. The only real problem I've had with mine was the small tab on the chest broke while I was changing into a different room in the house. The piece was easily repaired. :) I've dropped, steped on, and tripped over my 1/60...that thing is durable :ph34r: I would be nice if the legs didn't have to come off. I still have problems with the locking mechinism on the legs...

If you really want a good representation of the VF-1 then I would suggest getting both the 1/60 and 1/48.

you should really get both to really have the feel and appreciation.

I can't say anything about a 1/55 but After handling my friend's 1/55 I could honestly say it's one solid toy...

1/55 are bricks. Built to be solid, proof against anything up to a nuke, possibly inclusive with a bit of luck. You can throw it against a wall and it'll win. If the Zentrans ever invades we can load 1/55s into our GU-11s and shoot them all down.

:D:lol::D

If you are more into aesthetics, then a 1/60 or 1/48. 1/60s are nice and have a small desk footprint; 1/48 are super nice and have a nice big presence.

If you have the spare cash and are willing to take a bit of care with your toys, then going with the 1/48 is probably the best idea.

But if you are strapped for cash and is willing to live with detaching legs, then a 1/60 is more than accurate.

However, prepare to budget for at least 2 Valks. A single valkyrie sitting on the desk looks rather lonely and it calls out for a wingman.

1/55 are bricks. Built to be solid, proof against anything up to a nuke, possibly inclusive with a bit of luck. You can throw it against a wall and it'll win. If the Zentrans ever invades we can load 1/55s into our GU-11s and shoot them all down.

:D:lol::D

let all the aliens try n invade earth!! :p

Ruggedness = Bandai... 'nuff said!

but seriously, don't start... for goodness sake... save yourself... :ph34r:

:unsure:

I hope that:

1. you're graduating soon

2. gonna be a plastic surgeon to the european celebrities like Beckham and Posh

cuz when they stop making the 1/48s (which seems like it's soon) the prices are gonna skyrocket... just ask tisinc.

or you can marry Godzilla, you guys decide who will the bride.

:lol: that is soo wrong :D with friends like that who needs valks?!??!?!? j/p I know you guys get along.... :blink: maybe

snip

:ph34r:

Cough,cough, well after a carefull consideration of the said topic, I have decided to get Yamato 1/60. 'Nuff said.

Now the only thing standing between me and my valk is...funding.

Anyone here playing Mechwarrior: Dark Age? I've got 48 minis (one is LE; totally unplayed with) I'd be glad to sell.

Cough,cough, well after a carefull consideration of the said topic, I have decided to get Yamato 1/60. 'Nuff said.

Now the only thing standing between me and my valk is...funding.

Anyone here playing Mechwarrior: Dark Age? I've got 48 minis (one is LE; totally unplayed with) I'd be glad to sell.

Good deal LS.... Good luck with your purchase! now you gotta decide which one, and if you want FPs. :lol: