Best UC Gundam Series?

Kamui 777

you know they have trailers for most of them on www.gundamofficial.com as well as plot outlines for all of them... you could take a look and judge for yourself.

08th MS team - I really like this one and it has music from my favorite composer Kohei Tanaka, I havn't seen the final volume though, so I can't give a complete review

0080 War in the pocket - This one is a pretty slow, though well written coming of age story. About a kid named Alfred, it's got tragedy and it's one of my favorite gundams. It also features character designs by my second favorite Chararacter designer, Haruhiko Mikimoto

0083 Stardust Memory - There are those who hail this as the best Gundam and those who hate this, I'm somewhere inbetween really... I think it has a fairly good story... but the coencidences get a bit too much for me. But over all very enjoyable... it also has Mechanical designs from my favorite Mech designer Shoji Kawamori

F91: Not great, but worth watching

V Gundam: Honestly I havn't been able to stomach this one very much

G Saviour: Some don't even consider this UC... stay away!

Of course that's just my opinion... I havn't seen Double Zeta so I can't comment on it.

i like the 0083 series alot, if you do not mind subtitles Victory Gundam is good to, the 0080 and F-91 are not to bad either, if you like the others in the gundam series you will probably like these to, but i recomend the first two i mentioned.

edit : forgot about 08th team that one I liked alot,

ZZ Gundam is you can stomach the first 16 or so episodes you will be ok, it gets much better as it goes along.

Edited by zeo-mare

I'm a big fan of 08th. :D Nothing like planetside ground warfare!! Would like to elaborate, but do not want to spoil it. ;)

Also 0083 and 0080 are in my top 5. lord_breetai's right about 0080, if you're looking for mobile suit action, this isn't your series, but the story is top notch.

I thought F91 was good and have yet to get through V or ZZ, either, only due to timing on being able to watch them.

I'd also like to know as well. I only have two of the UC Century DVD's in my collection (Char's Counterattack and Stardust Memories).

I might pick up F91 in the near future (it's been almost ten years since I've seen that movie).

It's either going to be War In The Pocket or 8th MS Team. :ph34r:

08th MS team is among the best gundam series/oav out. It's a nice OAV, with love, action, Moblie suits, etc. The story is pretty straight forward so i'll be easy for anyone to get into.

0080 War in the Pocket, the story starts very slow and is not very action pack so some will fine it kinda boring at first. The story is pretty good, but so sad, you really have to watch it all the way to the end.

0083, is all about the mecha for me,, the story is not all that great, it would be better if they can extent it to a series ( 26eps) instead of a short OAV, so it can explan more of the why this and that.

I love them all. the only gundam I hate was the Live action movie,, oh did that suck.

Okay, call me a rebel if you must, but I actually didn't much care for 08th MS Team. It added nothing but crappy mecha to the One Year War. The early battles that showed planetside MS combat as something like tank warfare was cool, but the director and the show never really follows through on that. Not to mention that the characters all sucked to high heaven, save that one Gouf pilot...

While we're at it, 0083 had some great mecha and mecha action, but as a story, is really almost better skipped. It's suppose to bridge some of the gap between Gundam and Z Gundam, like how Anaheim was playing both sides and the formation of the Titans, but actually create a lot more plot holes than it filled.

Of the OVAs, the only one I can really reccomend is 0080. As short as it is, you really get to know the characters, and it's a very human story. Fans of flash over substance need not apply.

For the best UC Gundam experience, watch Gundam (I prefer TV, but the subtitles are horrid and the movies are more readily available), then Z Gundam (which is, in my opinion, the best of the Gundam series), then Gundam ZZ (it starts off like a kick in the nuts, especially after Z Gundam, but stick with it, as it eventually gets back on track and gets almost as good as Z Gundam near the end), then watch Char's Counterattack for the conclusion. F-91 was mediocre and would have worked better if they actually did make the planned series to follow, and V Gundam, despite being set in the UC universe, plays out more like an AU Gundam (and in my opinion, SEED and Gundam X are both better than V, so...). A G-Saviour is just crap.

08MST, 0083, 0080, CCA, F91 & V are all UC Gundam anime that I enjoy. Overall, my top 3 favorites are V, 08MST & 0080.

I never could get into original MSG TV or the movies as I find the mecha designs too dated (not to mention just plain fugly) and Amuro extremely annoying.

Flying in the face of popular opinion, I find Zeta extremely overrated and boring (I fell asleep watching it several times). It starts off good IMO, but goes rapidly downhill.

Graham

Considering you have the core of the U.C. (being 0079 movies, Zeta, & CCA), I'd definately go with either ZZ or Victory next. ZZ starts off...comedic for the first 20 episodes, then gets much better. Victory just pissed me off for some reason during the first 3 episodes, then became phenomenal. Choose as you will.

0083 was my first exposuer to Gundam back in 94 as a Fan Sub then I got the Ligit VHS Subed versions then the DVD's Im watching Z Gundam now (just got the set for X-Mas) its not bad but Im wondering why it takes 20 something eps to mention the Z Gundam :blink:

I also like G Gundam even though thats Side Story never saw V though I want to

ZETA

zeta has the titans which i find cool it has awesome titans mecha, also cool

it has a really long, compelling storyline (but be ready to feel depressed for a while)

good music

and you get to see all your favorite MSG characters sometime or another in cameos.

the new characters are pretty awesome too.

Personally, I've watched the following.. watched being "Watched from top to bottom":

• Gundam 0080
  • Gundam 0083
  • Gundam 08 MS Team
  • Char's Counterattack

Plus various bits and pieces from F91, manga, etc etc. Not a true-blue fanatic.

Of the whole lot, I find 0080 the best in terms of story and character development, 08 MS Team in terms of balance between action and story (though not as good as 0080), and 0083 best in terms of BiG BanGs. CCA is last of the lot as it requires quite a bit of background knowledge to appreciate.

0083, which is a fan favourite, has less ground with me because it mainly showcases mecha and action.. good as an intro to the UC universe, but to me 0080 is what the UC universe is about, really.

Well you have my 3 favorite already.

Zeta is by far the best.

Other great shows.

0080 is great just for the theme of the story and to see Mikamoto charicters

08 MS team is cool just for the Gouf Custom.

0083 has some good moments but overall I dont care for it much.

ZZ Gundam is really really terrible till about episode 24. Then it gets good but not quite Zeta good.

Still havent seen Victory Gundam.

I honestly don't see what the big deal with 0080 is. I always thought it was the weakest Gundam OVA (by U.C. standards).

It is if you approach Gundam with the expectation of Newtypes in cool Gundam suits laying waste to whole fleets of enemy ships and mecha. <-- sounds like an advert for Gundam Wing.

The beauty about 0080 is its message that nobody wins in a war.. the buildup, character development and conclusion is consistent in that message, and it is presented in a way where most audience can easily relate to it.

C'mon, pretty girl next door in a nice neighbourhood, a nice big brother figure, children running around underfoot most of the time -- life doesn't get much more perfect than this. And the war between Federation and Zeon sucks an innocent in with promises of glory and corrupts him.. it doesn't get more poignant than that.

Well, that's part of it, as my favorite thing about Gundam "is" Newtypes. 0080 just seemed to be a throw away story. Nothing that happens there is really of any consequence, especially since the the actual threat to the colony is taken away, despite the main characters not knowing.

Well, that's part of it, as my favorite thing about Gundam "is" Newtypes. 0080 just seemed to be a throw away story. Nothing that happens there is really of any consequence, especially since the the actual threat to the colony is taken away, despite the main characters not knowing.

It's a difference in perspective I guess... nothing particularly wrong or right with that. :)

Maybe the whole story hangs better precisely because it's inconsequential -- the futility of it all, and yet in the midst of it real courage from a boy-man to do something for the greater good.. even something that would label him as a warmonger.

The layers of irony in the whole story is just entertaining to me I guess. :)

I wish they would do the Crossbone Gundam or the Sentinel series. i have the books for both as well and quite enjoyed them, the Crossbone X-1 is one of my more favorite designs as of late.

You make good points. To a certain extent, I agree. Those things do make Gundam interesting.

However what I found 0080 different, was that it was a character driven story. Whereas the others were really plot driven.

Perhaps that was the difference where I found 0080 a very good show.

The story revolved around the characters, not the other way around.

I honestly don't see what the big deal with 0080 is. I always thought it was the weakest Gundam OVA (by U.C. standards).

It's the other way around for me... I can't stand to watch 0083 and 08th MS anymore. 0080 however, I always find myself able to rewatch.

In 0080, I found myself liking all the lead characters. Bernie, Chris, even Al to a point. 0083 had Kou, the worst Gundam character ever. And 8th MS has Shiro, whom I lost all previously non-existant respect for when he ditched his men for Aina. That said, 0080 was teh win for me. :lol:

0083 had Kou, the worst Gundam character ever.

I take it that you have never seen Quess Paraya? (Wonder if I got her last name correct...)

Kou Uraki is a wishy-washy character, but if you have not see Quess... You have no idea what a "worst Gundam character" is like. :)

Yeah, I know Quess.

I suppose I'll change my wording to "worst OVA Gundam character" :lol:

0083 had Kou, the worst Gundam character ever.

I take it that you have never seen Quess Paraya? (Wonder if I got her last name correct...)

Kou Uraki is a wishy-washy character, but if you have not see Quess... You have no idea what a "worst Gundam character" is like. :)

Yeah, I know Quess.

I suppose I'll change my wording to "worst OVA Gundam character" :lol:

Those two are pretty annoying.

My favorite Gundam would be Gundam MS 08th Team. Ground combat, good characters, good action etc.

Gundam 0083 is good too except for Kou Uraki lol Ugh somebody punch this guy.

I thought Char's Counter Attack was disappointing.

Zeta. The overrated UC Gundam series. Its good but not great. Camille is annoying.

ZZ Gundam. The first 20 or so episodes kinda suck. The rest is ok. To me, this series kinda ruined everything that Zeta established.

Gundam 0080 and F-91 I find unwatchable.

The original Gundam movies are decent. I like the third one the best.

It's the other way around for me... I can't stand to watch 0083 and 08th MS anymore. 0080 however, I always find myself able to rewatch.

In 0080, I found myself liking all the lead characters. Bernie, Chris, even Al to a point. 0083 had Kou, the worst Gundam character ever. And 8th MS has Shiro, whom I lost all previously non-existant respect for when he ditched his men for Aina. That said, 0080 was teh win for me. :lol:

I agree with you on Kou, he really annoys at times. But for 8th MS team Shiro I have to disagree, He did not ditch his men for Aina. At that time, he just finally figure out what he want to do, how much he loves Aina, can no longer stand on being on either side of the military, and by going to Aina he might be able to do something to stop the bloodshed, etc. It was a good choice for him too, if he didn't do what he did, eveyone could have die. He only left when the battle with Gouf was over and he can do no more good being in the location that he was at. That is not consider Ditching.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket is the only Gundam show that I would recommend. I've seen Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Wing, Gundam Wing Endless Waltz, the three Mobile Suit Gundam Movies 0079, Gundam the 08th MS Team, Gundam F91, and about a dozen episodes of Zeta Gundam. Out of all of them, Gundam 0080 is certainly the best story and best written IMO. For mecha action, some of the other Gundam shows are great, but I found during my 2-3 year run into all things Gundam, most of the shows lack a really good story or good characters. Your mileage may vary.

0080 - Very highly recommended. Minimum robot action, but very good human drama.

0083 - Recommended. Pretty show with much Gundam action & very cool mecha design. Story just ok, as I find Gou & Nina hard to relate to.

08th Team - Recommended. Not as strong in mecha design, but feel very down to earth mission stories that utilize more strategy than stuff like Newtype abilities or super talented pilots.

F-91 - Just ok. Its not a bad show, but not particularly interesting compare to the others. The overall story seems to borrow different parts from previous UC series, while the artwork doesn't stand out that much either, as the animation is pretty old.

Okay, to everyone who keeps saying that Zeta is the most overrated Gundam, I would challenge that the 08th MS Team takes that award. Zeta is full of human characters dealing with the war, and their own short-comings, in their own ways. Zeta also has some of the best mecha (Gundam Mk II, Marasai, Gaplant...), and blends the the human side of the story with some solid mecha action.

The 08th MS, on the other hand, has jack diddly squat. It was by far the worst of the Gundam stories, save G-Saviour. Aside from the Gouf Custom, the mecha were ugly as sin, and that initial bit about they make the MS combat seem like tank warfare was not only not fully developed, but not that great to begin with. I'd be willing to forgive all this if the characters and story were any good, but the characters were horrid, and the story went nowhere. When I say that, aside from G-Saviour, 08th MS is my least favorite Gundam, I don't mean least favorite as the one I like the least of a group of things that all really kick ass, I mean it's my least favorite like Macross 7 is AgentOne's least favorite Macross.

0083 is similarly overrated, but not as bad. Everyone seems to love 0083 because it looks gorgeous, has some great mecha, and has some over the top combat scenes. If you like all that, but don't care much about story, then 0083 is perfect for you! I'm just not super fond of it it because I do happen to care about story, and 0083's not just lacking in story, it has more holes in the plot than Michael Moore's got in his boxers.

And Keith, yeah, 0080 is small and incosequential... but that's the charm of it. It's so human. You're not seeing the war from the whole picture the way you do in the original TV series... you're seeing it as it affects a small group of people in an out-of -the-way colony. Bernie, Al, and Chris aren't the heroes of the One Year War like the crew of the White Base... they're just three people who are doing what they think is right in their situations. They're not Newtypes... they're just human.

I'm sorry, but Al was far more annoying than Quess, Kou, or (insert random annoying character here) combined. e's lucky they didn't just shoot him & toss him out of the colony. And while the story was interesting, it didn't move me anywhere near the level that the original Amuro, Lalah, Char dynamic did.

What really grabbed me about Gundam was the whole tragedy of Lalah, and the evolution of Newtypes vs their being used by Oldtypes. Char's vendetta against humanity itself (as well as the Zabi's), taking him to an ultimate disregard for any side except for his own, etc. In perspective, 0080 only has Oldtypes doing the same old Oldtype things.

In UC chronological order....

0079 - Should be mandatory viewing for anybody who considers themselves an anime fan, if only to give them some perspective on how it laid the groundwork for all the mecha anime that followed. Even the dub is worth mentioning, as it was supervised by Tomino himself, IIRC.

08th MS Team - A sort of "jack of all trades" Gundam entry. It has strong points on all fronts, but it excells at none of them. Considering the time frame it was produced in, however, it was a welcome respite from all the AU nonsense of the early 90's.

0080 - Best character piece out of the whole lot. It might not "matter" in the larger scheme of the UC, but its an engaging story nonetheless.

0083 - Has not stood up well to the test of time. Once the appeal of watching Mobile Suits in OVA quality animation wears off, there's not much else to see. Notable for Macross fans due to the Kawamori connection.

Z Gundam - Again, a "must see" for anime fans. To me, it succeedes where 0079 failed mainly due to the lack of the "villain mobile suit of the week" that plagued 0079 (although you could argue that the Titans themselves do go through many many new suits as well). Belive the hype. Belive in the sign of Zeta.

ZZ Gundam - Disappointing on all fronts. I never cared for the mecha designs, the characters are crap (heros and villains alike) and what passes for the story makes little difference in the end. One could easily skip this one and move straight on to Char's Counterattack. Even the last 20 episodes are not enough to salvage this mess. Also notable is the fact that all the good guys escape the war completely unscathed, which to me flies in the face of the "reality" that previous Gundam entires had tried to establish.

Char's Counterattack - Definitely a little flawed, but I still love this one to pieces. If nothing else, see this one with 0079 since its the true conclusion to Char and Amuro's story. The Mecha are some of the best looking UC suits designed yet.

F91 - Ah....the series that should have been. I enjoy it mainly for the action and the hints of what the series-length version could have been like. Oh well...

V Gundam - Yet another "restart" for the UC. It starts off rather slow and introduces a completely new set of political factions, but once the action moves into space it becomes one of the best UC Gundams. I think Uso deserves honorable mention, since of all the teenage Gundam protagonists he's the most believably childlike. It also introduced the image of the "winged gundam" that AU entries seem to endlessly borrow.