MACROSS SDF TV Remake

DatterBoy

OK... I totally agree with that. But the thread asks whether it would work. I dont think it would happen, but I think it can be done.

Ah, would it work? Yes, I think it would. Though I'd also imagine that the new visuals would be jarring when cued up with the old score. There's no mistaking the background music for typical 70's & 80's music, while a few pieces are timeless there's also a good amount that's best forgotten. Minmays songs are ok though, she's supposed to be a bubble gum pop singer and that's what she sings.

They should redo it. Even the creators weren't satisfied with it. Just use the same soundtrack, same dialogue tracks, same designs. It'll introduce new viewrs to Macross which would mean more toys!

And of course I'll enjoy the fact that your colletictive little girly childhoods have been sodomized.

i agree. everything should remain the same exact for the actual animation. and even the animation should just be COPIES of the original, no new scenes, no additional people or vehicles or anything else that they like to do with remakes. if i was to watch sdf macross and sdf macross: remake it should look EXACTLY ALIKE. the only difference should be the quality of the animation.

oh and BTW... go check out the transformers movie thread and see how much you guys love "original" pieces of crap. What a waste of time that movie is, but like I said, put it in front of fanboys and watch them gush like little girls.

yes, i prefer the transformers the movie (1986) over the new transformers movie. first off, the transformers were UGLY, they should have let the japanese design them, not americans (i wasn't feelin' their humanoid/muscular bodies). i won't even start on plot weaknesses like cybertron bein' destroyed and the story focusin' on the humans not the transformers...

>EXO< Thank god you're here, you and I seem to be in exact agreement over how a SDF:M update should be.

I say UPDATE because I don't think "remake" is a good word.

I also don't think SDF should be redone with DYRL visuals either.

As I and EXO and a few other people have said, the "update" would use the exact same old model sheets for the characters and mechs, it would just even out the frame rate, maybe replace a few of the heavily recycled animation sequences. (mind you, the original sequences would remain in the show, just not shown in every other episode)

And i still content Kawamori doesn't like SDF anymore. maybe the VF-1 is his favorite VF but he's clearly moved away from the grounded-in-reality story style of SDF for more fantastical stuff. If there were a update, i'd want it done by someone who respects and worships the original, not someone who would inject it with 25 years worth of afterthoughts and spiritual/magic garbage.

A man/horse?/pony?/dog?/pokemon thing? after my own heart. Karamori's basically gone Lucas. What was cool to him as a 20-30 year old isn't to his middle-aged self anymore, and he can't be helped but be enamored by the fantastical new age bloblyblook that some of us can't be bothered about. What made SDF so charming seems mostly lost on him, whether it be due to disinterest or over-familiarity. He did manage to put out M+ though. It didn't have the magic of SDF, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

Any any rate, I would love to see an SDF redone with improved animation-- some basic fixes would be nice, but I wouldn't mind completely redrawn while still sticking to the same timings, shots, camera angles, and of course, line art-- essentially the original SDF if it was produced with the same story boards, a proper budget, and people who actually knew how to draw. But no one does this sort of thing-- every artistic endeavor of this type ends up being about the artist's own unique take and vision, whether that's a good vision or not. And Kawamori does this sort of thing even across his own Macross projects-- they're more vehicles for his personal artistry and exploration than they are efforts to tell a greater story in a fictional, self-consistent universe. In some ways, Kawamori treats Macross as his palette more than something with imputed life and identity of its own. If SDF was the Mona Lisa, then DYRL would be the Sistine Chapel, M+ would be in the style of Realism, M7 Pop-art, M0 Impressionist, and MF Art Nouveau-- most of the works marked more by their artistic divergence from their predecessors in abandoning the previously established tone, than by the quality and story they bring on their own.

If most of the sequels didn't have Macross in their title and make obligatory nods to elements I enjoyed in SDF (and to an extent, M+), I simply wouldn't find them worth watching.

Edited by Sundown

I truly believe the the VF-1 deserved a little update. I had a hard time dealing with the flat squarish feet/trusters. They should have originally looked a bit like the ones in Zero. Since I saw this animation in the 80's that detail always bugged me. Also I would like to have the mecha in general more physically constant and not radically "morphing" from one the scene to the other because of Animefriend or lack of contuinity or paint. Just don't change the valks and destroids.

One last thing; get rid of the blank/dead air scenes that just fill up time and give nothing..for example there's a scene of Booby trap when the Zentraedi attacks the city and the fights goes on; then they show either a random valk or Hikaru's VF flying by to the horizon and the camera suddenly pans slowly to one side just to find nothing and then pans back... I always thought WTF? they just wasted 10 seconds to shown a piece of a city in ruins anyone will take for granted..rather use that background on a fighting scene...

To each their own...

One last thing; get rid of the blank/dead air scenes that just fill up time and give nothing..for example there's a scene of Booby trap when the Zentraedi attacks the city and the fights goes on; then they show either a random valk or Hikaru's VF flying by to the horizon and the camera suddenly pans slowly to one side just to find nothing and then pans back... I always thought WTF? they just wasted 10 seconds to shown a piece of a city in ruins anyone will take for granted..rather use that background on a fighting scene...

To each their own...

I was researching on Japanese film techniques, and the use of such "empty" scenes actually means something to the intended audience, a kind of understanding the director expects out of his audience. These kind of scenes are actually designed with a haiku-like intent. The message that comes through is based upon that kind of intent.

Uh, isn't that scene supposed to be showing some basic tactics. As I understood it, the camera was from the Battle Pod's point of view and it was attempting to follow the Valkyrie, moving it's field of view in the direction of where it thought the Valkyrie was going to appear from around the other side of the building. Except the Valkyrie pilot was smart and used misdirection to gain the advantage, setting himself up in a position to fire and gaining a few seconds to aim while his opponent in the Battle Pod was looking in the wrong direction. The very next scene, the Valkyrie blows away the foolish Battle Pod with a gun pod blast, this time the scene is shown from the POV of the Valkyrie's battroid mode cockpit.

Personally, I love that scene.

This probably raises a good point against the idea of a remake; so often people don't pick up absolutely everything in a show. People remaking older films or shows can unwittingly alter scenes, ignorantly removing something that has a very specific purpose. The changes can be absolutely devastating to a long time fan who understood the scene and what it was trying to accomplish.

What sort of magic is there in cheap, outsourced, badly drawn Korean animation? :ph34r:

what if everything is left 100% as it is, except max an millia's knife fight gets a make over? can we all agree on that?

I only fear that it might end up turning into a musical number, entitled Zentradi Rocks.

Edited by Sundown

I think that every one that says to leave it alone hasn't really rewatched it as many times as I have. I still rewatch it to this day, because I love the crap out of SDFM. IMO, people that say to leave it alone are over it. But really, you can't introduce this stuff to newer audiences because some of the animation is so bad. But if it can hold up (animation-wise) to the anime serieses today, then we'd have a lot more newer fans every year. The story is so good in that way.

I watch it all the time and see things that yes do annoy me in the animation. But it is also one of the reasons that i love it. The main reason no one including myself don't want it to be remade or fixed or whatever is because no one has ever gone back to their original work and just touched it up like a tattoo or something. Look at Lucas he went back and completely changed and in effect ruined the original trilogy by updating it. We all know that if there were updates that it would some how change the greatness of the show. I don't want an update. If people can't except the original show on it's own merits than they shouldn't watch it anyway. I see tons of old movies that aren't up to pay with today's film as far as the way it looks or what have you but that doesn't mean that i want them to be remade or touched up. i hate films that were black and white and are now color because they think that's what people want. My girlfriend has a son who loves star wars, not the knew ones but the old ones. And he doesn't care if the effects are dated, the story and the package as a whole is what captures him. Same with Macross. The stor and the whole should be what people care about not the way the animation looks. If that is what they are concerned with then they shouldn't be watchin macross anyway.

Look at Lucas he went back and completely changed and in effect ruined the original trilogy by updating it. We all know that if there were updates that it would some how change the greatness of the show. I don't want an update. If people can't except the original show on it's own merits than they shouldn't watch it anyway. I see tons of old movies that aren't up to pay with today's film as far as the way it looks or what have you but that doesn't mean that i want them to be remade or touched up.

Well, the difference here is Lucas updated Star Wars *badly*. I wouldn't have minded keeping some of the changes, like cleaned up shots and that sort of thing-- no one complains about those, but I'm undecided on the updates to the space battles-- there's a certain gritty charm to the older models that CG rarely reproduces. Anyway, the difference here between SDF and old movies is that SDF isn't just outdated-- with exception to a few key scenes, it was badly animated even in its *own* time. Anime is something you watch partly *for* the *animation*. And poorly done animation is going to be an obstacle to new viewers no matter what. Blaming viewers for not being sophisticated enough to get past the ugly drawings doesn't help anyone other than us to feel good about our refined (or forgiving) tastes.

I believe things don't necessarily have to get worse with updates-- it's just that most attempts at updating up to now have tempted the creators to *add* things that didn't need adding, to put their mark on their work so that they'd be noticed rather than blend in with the existing footage. I think creators are less inclined to update and fix past works in a subtle way because there's less of a look-what-I-did factor to it. But it can (and I think in some cases, should) be done.

Anyway, if SDF were to be updated, I would *not* get Kawamori as the man to do it.

Edited by Sundown

I watch it all the time and see things that yes do annoy me in the animation. But it is also one of the reasons that i love it. The main reason no one including myself don't want it to be remade or fixed or whatever is because no one has ever gone back to their original work and just touched it up like a tattoo or something. Look at Lucas he went back and completely changed and in effect ruined the original trilogy by updating it. We all know that if there were updates that it would some how change the greatness of the show. I don't want an update. If people can't except the original show on it's own merits than they shouldn't watch it anyway. I see tons of old movies that aren't up to pay with today's film as far as the way it looks or what have you but that doesn't mean that i want them to be remade or touched up. i hate films that were black and white and are now color because they think that's what people want. My girlfriend has a son who loves star wars, not the knew ones but the old ones. And he doesn't care if the effects are dated, the story and the package as a whole is what captures him. Same with Macross. The stor and the whole should be what people care about not the way the animation looks. If that is what they are concerned with then they shouldn't be watchin macross anyway.

I appreciate what you're saying, and your passion for keeping the original original. however i don't think the statement that "if we can't "love" the bad animation we shouldn't watch the show" is really a fair thing to say.

I don't think my love for macross and my love for animation need to be mutually exclucive. that said, i 100% agree that if the show could not be updated, and the animation filled in, WITHOUT major changes to plot and story, I'd say leave it alone too.

What i'm suggesting is a perfect world scenario where the art director of the update would have perfect respect for the original content and the self control not to add his own stupid ideas, or re-edit ANYthing.

Love it or not, there are animated sequences in SDF that look like utter garbage. Some that are CLEARLY not inbetweened. Literally, there is unfinished animation that made it to print and work that doesn't even look like it was done by a well meaning intern. Yes we've all had a good laugh looking at some funky screen grabs of misshapen valkyries and such, but laughing at SDF's errors isn't what made me love it.

In SDF I live for those rare anmation moments that were well done, or those amazing story moments, the likes of which haddn't been attempted in any "kid" show i'd ever experienced before. Really, when was the last show you saw that gave kids enough credit to handle the coolest guy in the show getting killed?

I think Im perfectly capeable of loving SDF for what it is, while at the same time aknowledging it's short comings and errors. It's not perfect, and luckly, where it fails tends to be in the superficial things, things that, by fixing them, wouldn't ruin the show.

I'm sure we'd all love to see Macross TV updated to more modern standards of animation. But I believe that has never happened in the history of animation without a reedit happening. Ofcourse that's where fans get contentious when someone (even the original creator/director) fools around with a beloved classic.

Just about anything could set off fans like me who love Macross (or any other classic). Like the Han Solo-Greedo controversy for Star Wars fans who compared the original edit to the SE version.

Yoshiyuki Tomino of Gundam fame got an earful when he decided to move some of the music around, change the SE, and revoice the entire cast (despite using most of the original voice actors) in the original 3 "First Gundam" movies. Oddly enough the 3 Gundam movies itself is a redit of the TV series and one of the few instances in which the reedit proved more popular. For Macross TV, something like this and the recent Zeta Gundam movies is probably the best case scenario. But do we really want to see Macross TV cut up into 3 compilation movies (albeit with improved animation)?

It's easy to say "I want Macross TV remade but I don't want any changes except in the animation itself". But such an idea comes from the mind of us Macross TV fans (those of us who already love the original series). I'm sorry to say but Macross TV is probably not cutting edge enough (even if it were to sport new animation) for today's generation. We think it is because we love it. But if a reanimated-only no reedits Macross TV were to happen, it'll most likely comes across for others as "an old girl past her prime who's been dressed up". Afterall, at it's base Macross TV is something from the minds/mindset of 1982 not 2008.

And for us, a reanimated-only no reedit Macross TV simply becomes nothing more than eye-candy as we already know the story in-and-out. Besides, I think no self-respecting producer would remake Macross TV just for eye-candy purpose.

This is one reason I am glad they never went with a predator movie remake. Or an aliens remake. I like the effects and makeup and costumes in them and would hate to see stuff just taken out and other stuff put in. It's part of history.

The only exception to this rule is if the original work is also still made available to fans and not completely taken away.

I think the only reason we want a newer SDF:M is so we don't have to see the bad animation. I think it would be doable without adding something, and I would buy the new dvd of it. But, if fans love the un-enhanced version they should just allow them to buy that too. Honestly it's not that big a deal, look at how they've release blade runner on dvd. You can still get the originals and the new final cut. Completists will have nothing to complain about if they did try to enhance it.

DYRL in a sense was our "enhanced" beautified SDF:M only that was "retelling it". What I imagine would be SDF:M exactly how it was supposed to look as the original tv series, but enhanced to be just like DYRL. (in terms of the quality of the animation's smoothness only)

So for example the knife fight would have max using proper attempts to dodge the individual miria knife stabs, and we'd see his body moving away while milia lunges at him. Not both of them standing there doing E.Honda's special move with a knife. :D

Maybe instead of an enhancement (replacing bad animation with good animation) they could do a "remake-enhancement". (that is redo ALL the animation (throwing out even the good animation in the old tv series) but copy everything that was good and replace the old good animation with new good animation, as well as the usual replacing of the old bad animation with good new animation. This way everything looks consistent! So you don't get old good animation mixed with new good animation. They are both "good" but they might not belong side to side, and the old stuff might just stick out too much from the new stuff.

in summary:

good animation old - scrapped in favour of new good animation that is exactly the same thing but better.

bad animation old - scrapped and replaced with new good animation.

I want "eureka 7"-like level of smoothness and consistency. As if the remake was designed soley to be the thing that

a) fixes animation mistakes,

b) designed to interest a new veiwer who has just watched macross F, (and has been spoiled by the smooth frames and attention to detail)

and

c) also to milk existing fans of SDF:M of more money. (that is to say we as fans are paying for this new enhancement to fix all of what was wrong in the tv series so we don't mind buying it. Like the robotech fans buying the robotech remaster dvd hehe :D)

So although the word "remake" might seem a bit scary to "purists", don't think of the "remake-enhancement" as a remake of the story so much as the "fixing of errors" and "boosting of quality" of what was already in there. (not a changing of the content itself: no additions, retellings, changes to events, altering of camera, or taking away things that belonged there in the original)

Essentially we dream of DYRL style smoothness, but in a tv series we can own on dvd and say "this is the definitive version!". (no animation mistakes, no poor animefriend eps, no objects mysteriously *disappearing from one scene to another etc)

A remake-enhancement wouldn't change anything that was "originally supposed to be there"/"not be there", but just improve everything across the board as if to be the same thing as what you already own, but "fixed".

*roys rescue of hikaru and minmay when he detached the nose/cockpit section of the VF-1 and runs from the zentradi regults and flies into space to meet the SDF-1. (the cockpit which hikaru and minmay were attached to on roy's VF-1 disappears)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I thought that if Big West could redo the animation, then the Macross sdftv would be completely under Big West's ownership and not the split with Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold.

They can really do that ? Are you sure of that ? :huh: If it's true, I may reconsider my opinion ...

Edited by Macross007

Also whatever happens if they decide to go with it, don't change the sound effects. I like the gunpod and old laser sound effect.

Also the robotic, echoey, "humm" of the valkyrie as it moves is part of the nostalaia too. So don't change that. (like the sound in dyrl after hikaru kills bodolza and all you hear during that silence is the humming noise when he moves the robot a bit.)

My fave gunpod noise is the VF-11 one at the start of macross plus though.

I certainly wouldn't mind a full blown Macross F quality remake personally - as long as it remains true to the story of the original, and the original is still available to be seen of course. I doubt it will ever happen, though it's pretty clear if it's ever done it'll only end getting highly contrersial with the fans.

Personally though I think my "dream Macross" - would be a simple updated version of the original ; same story, same everything - except with DYRL image/animation quality. Now *that* would make a perfect version of Macross IMO. As much as I love Macross I have to admit that there are times when it really is painful to watch in that respect.

That being said I think some sort of update that would mix '80 and update 2000 animation would be a terrible idea. I'd say the Zeta Gundam movies pretty proved how much that just doesn't work.

-Sergorn

Well here is the overall question, have they ever done anything like that before? Besides it is well known that Macross isn't as big in Japan as other properties so the studios may not care to spend the money to remake it. Sure you could say that with the new series it will reinvigorate interest but honestly they didn't do it for Gundam which has a bigger following than Macross. This is all just a dream wish, it is nice to have but in reality it will never happen. Well let me not say that because i said the same about the perfect 1/60 VF-1 and was wrong, but i am sure they would go back and do the first gundam than macross if they were to do something like that.

Well here is the thing: they kinda sorta did it with bubble gum crisis 2040AD. Isn't this just a retelling of BGC 2032 AD for a newer generation without the 80s music which isn't as appealing to the younger gen?

But the difference is no CHANGES. (it's SDF:M but without the shitty animation and mistakes so that a new generation can see it and buy it without complaining. Just as a newer generation has been exposed to BGC through BGC 2040AD. Even though fans are annoyed at the changes to the suits, they can still get the original 2032 BGC, so there is no worries.)

Just fix everything (undo all the animation mistakes like the wrong colours used when max and kakazaki and hikaru are fighting britai) and redo everything (do NOT mix the old with newer animation so it doesn't stick out) but ENHANCE it. (so knife fight is scrapped in favour of decent animation.

Will it ever be done? Nobody knows. But I'd buy a newer updated SDF:M that could appeal to a new generation of fans exposed to macross F who might be interested in the history of Space War I in the timeline of the macross universe.

Just as transformers has "the great war", (reffering to G1 in transformers animated) or UC gundam has the "one year war" (reffering to Amuro Ray's battles in the original rx-78) so macross has "Space War I" which is the foundation upon which all these later shows stand on.

Really though, if you say yes, and you'd buy it, then regardless of if they do it, it at least shows them that there is a demand for it. When everyone says: "but it will have lucas-like changes to the canon with additions that weren't supposed to be there" do bring up good points, but that is not what is being asked: if you could fix all those little mistakes that pissed you off, would you buy the enhanced fixed version? For me I don't want changes, but want newer anime watchers to at least not be frightened to see older anime just because of the quality of the animation. I like the original just as I like the blade runner version without the commentary. Just that for the sake of the fanbase, they could release a better version of SDF:M as a introduction to newer fans to macross.

If a newer generation of fan wants to see SDF:M (as a prequel to macross F and macross 7?) because they were not born when SDF:M was made, but don't want to see the old show because it's too crappy, they will then have the opportunity to see SDF:M with good animation, while fans of SDF:M will be able to get a definitive version with fixes. There is a first time for everything. Just don't think of it as a "remake" but a fixing of mistakes and a newer edition with enhanced frames. (did gundam have the same number of animation mistakes as macross?)

The OVA like quality of macross F will have spoiled the newer macross fans even more so they will be even more harsh on an old SDF:M then we are. But if they fix up the mistakes, (improve the knife fight, redraw the bits that were poorly drawn, fix the colours) and maybe enhance the animation (add in more frames for smoother motion) then people (newer macros fans) won't be as scared to watch old anime and can concentrate on the story.

If they plan to do a remake, they should just edit/ redo inconsistent animation and retain the original character designs and audio tracks.

I think that what the show needs are more side stories.

1. Story after Macross 0 and explain why the Bird Human was so important!

2. Story of an ordinary pilot during space war I

3. Story of post flashback 2012 on earth or onboard a megaroad class ship

4. An animated adaptation of Macross M3 (game for the dreamscast)

5. Animated adaptaion of VFX- 1 and 2 (games for the playstation-japan only)

6. Post M7 and VFX stories of just plain squadrons and pilots fighting rogue zentraedis, pirates and rogue government units and even rebellion on colonization fleets.

Anything that is about song energy or that requires a Basara Nekki clone must be omitted!!!

NO FIREBOMBER CRAP!!!

I can think of one recent japanese anime TV series that was remade with better animation.

BioBooster Armor Guyver in 2006

And then there's the Evangelion anime that was remastered, updated with director's cuts and now four new movies that remake the tv series into big budget films. The trailers of the evangelion movies look really good to me!

So, why not the same high grade treatment with SDF: Macross?

Remaster the audio to 5.1 or better with M zero/frontier quality animation of the same story line and it would be a winner to me.

That's my opinion.

Another example would be Thunderbirds 2086 the 1982 anime is much better than the original Thunderbirds Anderson puppet series. You can see Thunderbirds 2086 on youtube and see for your self that remakes are not necessarily a bad thing. But, I make no excuses for Alien vs Predator.

Edited by boinger

Hey all I figured I'd bounce in on this topic, I have some experience with animation I took film and TV in college than moved on to work my first job as a assistant editor in a local animation company. I don't think SDFM should be remade from top to bottom with all the cutting edge effects that M0 and MF have. I think it should be redone in only two ways. As an official update to the old footage where everything gets smoothed out and the effects of working out tv scale animation of 16mm film stock are fixed, lets face it none of the zoom shots in the show are of the best quality. Or as a Fan Made adaptation of the original, where a few talented fans went through and redrew the original frames with increased details. Personally I think this is completely do-able lets face it some fans spend hours working on CG models that get shown once or twice and float around the internet for ever after words. The biggest issue is really the sound quality, since it is obviously 25 year old sound if you were to reanimate in a way that made it look dated you could match everything, you really don't want to much flash in it.

And for us, a reanimated-only no reedit Macross TV simply becomes nothing more than eye-candy as we already know the story in-and-out. Besides, I think no self-respecting producer would remake Macross TV just for eye-candy purpose.

I'd argue just the opposite. A re-animated SDF would expose the story to those who can't get past the horrible animation compared to some of what's out there today. It would *serve* the story, especially for new audiences, instead of merely being eye-candy for its own sake.

No self-respecting producer would do SDF just for eye-candy's sake. But a Macross-respecting producer might consider updating the animations out of a genuine love for the storytelling and designs. Unfortunately, In my cynicism, I don't think we'll ever find any of those-- instead, we'll find self-respecting producers who won't do an update unless they can radically change things and add things that they can explicitly call their own. That's just human nature for you.

This is one reason I am glad they never went with a predator movie remake. Or an aliens remake. I like the effects and makeup and costumes in them and would hate to see stuff just taken out and other stuff put in. It's part of history.

Both Predator and Aliens still hold up pretty well effects wise. They're not as flashy as some modern films but they still do a stellar job and don't get in the way of the story telling.

1/2 of SDF looks like utter crud, and looked bad even for its own time. The other half was fine as is-- and doesn't really need much in the way of updates.

Edited by Sundown

Both Predator and Aliens still hold up pretty well effects wise. They're not as flashy as some modern films but they still do a stellar job and don't get in the way of the story telling.

1/2 of SDF looks like utter crud, and looked bad even for its own time. The other half was fine as is-- and doesn't really need much in the way of updates.

To make it clear: I support the remake for SDF:M, but only so much as to fix mistakes and improve frames. Not add things that were never there which is what the other people fear. (gearge lucas style tampering with scenes: "greedo shooting first" type stuff, which is going to wreck the original's telling of the story)

But in instance like Predator/Aliens, the fact they were so good for their time and stand up well today would only destroy what makes them impressive. (from historical view if you were to go back and compare it with another movie for example) SDF:M though, will always be criticised for not being worth watching for those who feel the old age plus the animation in some eps is a real turnoff so they won't watch the whole thing. (not so with DYRL or plus)

Story: don't remake or retell or tamper with it.

visual: I support a redo of the entire thing (for consistancy reasons so old bits don't stick out) or just redo the bad eps.

audio: leave this alone. I don't mind old audio.

And for those asking "since when has anyone ever gone back and added frames?" Well wasn't the macross plus movie edition supposed to have newer things put in it? Apart from the obvious changes, there really isn't that much difference in how the OVA version and Movie version look to me, and the old ova footage is consistant with new movie footage. Just do the same here with SDF:M if possible. (just don't add cg objects in the background like lucas, change the telling of the story, or put new things that weren't there)

If all goes well: people will buy the HDDVD/BLuray boxset and be treated to eureka 7 smooth animation. (which hopefully is consistant from episode to episode and has no colour mistakes, or non-canon paintscheme in it :D)

btw low viz, that gun pod sound effect is one of my "this is macross" things. when i hear that Bbbrrrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv i know there's a valkyrie around kickin some ass. or an A-10, either way good times.

Re-make is going to far, prefer them to make a real live action tv series with human actors (not hollywood before you guys go off the deep end but Japanese production.)

That's similar to my preference too. A live-action-&-CGI film trilogy adaptation, with one "season" per film.

Macross, The Movie 01 : SDFM, Eps. 01-14

Macross, The Movie 02 : SDFM, Eps. 15-27

Macross, The Movie 03 : SDFM, Eps. 28-36; + FB2012's concluding epilogue.

i dunno man, i associate very much with how the characters look in their line art. EVERYTHING would need to be remade to make it work. cosplayers are living proof that you can't just take an anime design, replace the character with a human, and have it all work.

a RADICAL redesign of SDF is exactly what i don't want.

"do not want" as it were.