PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

Actually, I have about 15 movies for the PSP, I think it is a nice format to watch these movies and I like the quality...the only complaint that I have is the earbuds, they suck and hurt my ears, but other than that...awesome.

Twich

It seems the PSP just started to feel the NDS heat :

From Magicbox :

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0511/game051114c.shtml

and :

- Capcom announced Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for PSP, the game will be released in March 2006, which 20 classic titles, including 1941, Avengers, Block Block, Captain Commando, Magic Sword, Quiz & Dragons, Street Fighter, Strider, Three Wonders, Varth, etc. Most of the games will support multiplayers over WiFi connection. It is also possible to download game music to the memory stick.

It seems the PSP just started to feel the NDS heat :   

345968[/snapback]

Releasing ports of old games on the PSP isn't a good way to respond to the DS' software dominance. Although I find it pretty ironic that a system that is so emulator-friendly gets all these old ports... why pay for what you can get for free, right?

TiVo for the PSP

http://psp.ign.com/articles/668/668435p1.html

November 21, 2005 - Your PSP just became that much cooler. TiVo today announced an extension to its TiVoToGo service that will let subscribers transfer programming to Sony's PSP handheld and Apple's iPod music player. Most subscribers of TiVo's digital recording service know that it's hard to plow through dozens of hours of recorded programming, and it looks as though TiVo has taken notice. This news is particularly cool for those PSP owners who want to use their systems for video playback yet can't afford to buy a library of UMD movies.

Programs transferred from a TiVo device to a portable player such as a PSP would wear a digital watermark to discourage piracy. Also, this ensures transferred programming can be traced back to its original source. And while the service is free for current subscribers, you'll need to pay a "small fee" for the program needed to make the transfer process work. TiVo service currently costs 12.95 a month, in addition to the cost of the actual TiVo device itself.

Beta testing kicks off this Monday, but it won't officially start until early next year. Time to go buy those beefy memory sticks, people.

Stay tuned for more.

News.com rebuttal.

http://news.com.com/FAQ+Behind+TiVos+play+..._3-5965853.html

TiVo for the PSP

http://psp.ign.com/articles/668/668435p1.html

November 21, 2005 - Your PSP just became that much cooler. TiVo today announced an extension to its TiVoToGo service that will let subscribers transfer programming to Sony's PSP handheld and Apple's iPod music player. Most subscribers of TiVo's digital recording service know that it's hard to plow through dozens of hours of recorded programming, and it looks as though TiVo has taken notice. This news is particularly cool for those PSP owners who want to use their systems for video playback yet can't afford to buy a library of UMD movies.

Programs transferred from a TiVo device to a portable player such as a PSP would wear a digital watermark to discourage piracy. Also, this ensures transferred programming can be traced back to its original source. And while the service is free for current subscribers, you'll need to pay a "small fee" for the program needed to make the transfer process work. TiVo service currently costs 12.95 a month, in addition to the cost of the actual TiVo device itself.

Beta testing kicks off this Monday, but it won't officially start until early next year. Time to go buy those beefy memory sticks, people.

Stay tuned for more.

346813[/snapback]

If you want to fall asleep while using your PSP..Myst is coming out

November 22, 2005 - Sega will be bringing one of adventure gaming's classic titles to the PSP, the latest issue of Famitsu reveals. Myst is currently in development for the portable format at Hoplite Research and will be published by Sega in Japan in March of next year.

Details on the PSP version are scarce at this point, but it seems that Sega and Hoplite are planning some bonus content in the form of new adventure scenarios. The game's visuals will also be updated for the PSP's wide screen format.

While a US version has yet to be announced, given the recognition the Myst name still holds, we're certain you can expect the title to appear in some form down the road.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/670/670041p1.html

played socom for the psp cool concept with the wifi on line so its like playing counter strike but with real live people . Have the navy seal team and terrorist team theres is even a head set for the game that you can pick up at ebgames so you can talk with your buddies. Pretty intense gane playing but tried out the respanwing mode live die kill over and over and over you get the point I rank this game B+ because of the wifi .

from Rich

Update 2.6 is out. nothing much added unless you want Windows Media audio on your PSP

http://www.us.playstation.com/psp.aspx?id=SoftwareUpdate

Lately I've been playing Ghost in the Shell for the PSP....ugh not very good. Play-asia has the Asian version on sale for 12.90 US. Japanese audio and everything else is in English

I rented Burnout Legends. That was cool but its 49.99 and Burnout Revenge for the PS2 is now 39.99.

This weekend I picked up Infected and Legend of the Hero, I played Infected for about ten hours yesterday, it is a mindless shoot-em-up style game but pretty nice for an on the go frag-fest. The game has a soundtrack by Slipknot, Chaimera, Junkie XL and a few other groups, heavy metal and techno, pretty nice mix for my taste. I haven't played multi-player yet, but the unlockable character models are a little generic aside from the Slipknot band members, I think there is a giant mad-Cow you can unlock but I haven't found that yet.

Game controls and camera angles aren't too bad, it is a little annoying when a mob is to your left or right offscreen, because while you can quickly flip front to back with the push of a button, in a melee where you are surrounded it is a little tough to tell how much stuff is on you. Targetting works a lot like GTA games, hold a button to lock onto a target, push a different button to cycle through valid targets. The game will float from target to target as you mow them down naturally, and the combo system is pretty fun.

Anyhow, I think a good description of this game would be to say that it is essentially a bastardization of Untold Legends and Serious Sam, seemingly random level generation but not too varied, you buy weapon and ammo upgrades between levels with cash you accrue for completeling missions.

Not the greatest peice of game code ever written, but a fun diversion, if I had to rate it, i would give it a 3.5 out of 5, solid gameplay, funny cut scenes and dialog, repetetive levels after 30 or so missions, Good soundtrack, combo system is easy to understand and can be fun to play with, Levels can be to tough to navigate due to "map crowding" which makes it hard to see where the next branch of the map is.

On the subject of UMD movies, I have a couple but I only buy them on sale and i only bought a few that i really wanted to have on a trip but didn't feel like ripping and plugging up my memory stick. I think they would sell a ton of them if they were sold in the 10 to 14$ range, but what the hell do I want to pay 20 to 30$ for a movie when i can get the DVD for that price and have the luxury of watching it in it's full glory at home and if desperate to have it portably, tear it to my memory stick?

UMD's suck only because of the retarded price point they are set at. They are nifty, but completely a luxury item. I would buy Aliens, Cannibal the Musical, a few of my absolute favoraite movies, but run of the mill flicks will never be seen on the screen of my PSP.

Edited by Ghadrack

Lately I've been playing Ghost in the Shell for the PSP....ugh not very good. Play-asia has the Asian version on sale for 12.90 US. Japanese audio and everything else is in English

348343[/snapback]

poo. That's just too good to pass up.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody have socom for the psp? Great game for the wifi huge muti player server. The teams are 8 on 8 so 16 players total. 8 socom 8 terriost I think there about 5-6maps to play on. You can use a head set to talk to people while playing. Anybody have a screen name yet?

my gboy_4ever

add me to you friend roster and we'll play socom

from Rich

we should make a clan name macrossworld :lol:

I got SOCOM and SW Battlefront 2 for Xmas but havene't played SOCOM yet except once to test the multiplayer connection. I will have to add you...

EDIT: And how come my PSP keeps locking up on the after level stat screens of Battlefront 2... someitmes wwhen I push square to go to teh next level it just freezes... and then if I push HOME to go abck to the PSP menu it just hangs up on PLEASE WAIT... and I have to remove the battery to restart it bc/ the power switch won't shut it down... it's happened twice now....

Edited by promethuem5

Friend of mine found Irregular Hunter X for download, but since you gotta have 2.5, the emulator needed to play the game failed. So we got no way of figuring out how to get it working.

I picked up Legend of Heroes myself early in the week. Very old school in my opinion, and I actually like it. I try to put in 1-2 hours a day and its not bad of a game at all.

I also saw Guilty Gear XX and Tenchu at FRY's but I didn't wanna pay 60 bucks for a game I wouldn't be able to understand in the least.

And I also picked up a PSP program to render movies into it.....X-oom or something, and it seems to suck. Found Video Vault which is suppose to be the best, but I wasn't gonna pay 40 dollars for it.

But I DID buy a 1 gig Sandisk memory stick for 88 dollars...that's a pretty good find in my opinion.

I just did the system 2.60 update, was trying to enable WMA playback but it wants to get online, but I don't have wireless nor do I know how to get my PSP online......so that sucks right?

is there a way for me to get it online? or to cheat the enable to play WMA's?

I just did the system 2.60 update, was trying to enable WMA playback but it wants to get online, but I don't have wireless nor do I know how to get my PSP online......so that sucks right?

is there a way for me to get it online? or to cheat the enable to play WMA's?

358172[/snapback]

Are there any places that have free wi-fi in your area? Like a Starbucks for example......

There's 2 actual starbucks cafe's about 15 miles from here, I guess I could give them a shot. But I heavily doubt they have wifi cause of the location there in....I have to go into that area tomorrow anyways, so I'll give it a shot.

ok im screwed. I dont know what happened but all of a sudden my speakers do not work. I still can hear out of head phones but this is annoying I have tried everything. restore defaults and even upgrade to 2.6. but still nothing.

ok im screwed. I dont know what happened but all of a sudden my speakers do not work. I still can hear out of head phones but this is annoying I have tried everything. restore defaults and even upgrade to 2.6. but still nothing.

358459[/snapback]

dead speakers or wire to them broke.

358459[/snapback]

dead speakers or wire to them broke.

358461[/snapback]

I guess its time to do a costco exchange haha

• 1 month later...

dusts off this thread.....

Anyone looking for a 2gb memory card cheap(cheaper)? 80.99 (after 20.00 mail-in rebate... so its 100.99) at Fry's. Ends March 2nd. Not sure if its an online only. Have to check the store tomorrow.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4442836?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Also, Sony unveils 4gb memory card...250.00 this July

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/6516

So what's everyone been playing or looking forward to? Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max is great. Samurai Warriors coming soon. And Tenchu (US version) this July.

I want the 4 gigger so badly..... and I really want some more solid PSP games... I was so glad to read that a standard Metal gear Solid game is in the works.... AC!D just turns me right off....

I personally am just berserk with anticipation of an American port of the 3rd person action Gundam game.... I forget the anem of it, but everyone else has it already. I must admit, I think that they should port some of the greatest hits PS1 games to PSP... I for one would love Castlevania Symphony of Night and Armored Core and Mechwarrior 2 on PSP....

Edited by promethuem5

I recall reading an interview with Koji Igarashi, the creator of Castlevania. He stated he'd love to do SotN for the PSP, but does not believe Sony will let him.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Syphon Filter's out, and it's supposed to be amazing. I'm gonna try really hard to get it this weekend.

Also, is there any news as to weather or not the Gundam action game will be released in the US? Someone said that there is probably enough English in it to play, but I'd rather just buy a US release if there is one, but I'm getting sick of waiting.

Also, anyone see the news article on gamespot about PSP getting an emulator that runs PSOne games and Flash game support on the internet? And possibly a second PSP with internal Flash memory. I am soooooo excited already. PSOen emu on the PSP is probbaly the coolest thing I've heard in a long while.

Anyone out there get Gradius portable?

it is mainly roms of the earlier games with no difference, however i have played Gradius Gaiden for the Playstation 1 (i believe that is on there) it is one of the best gradius games made besides Gradius V and Salamader 2. it is worth the price just for that game.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

Yes my friend has and he said its worth for any Gradius fans. You can play it WS or with borders, this collection as you know it has many opitions such as BGM (including Sharp X68000 sound test) and FMV tests. The down fall is that the D-button isn`t good a bit confusing and the analog stick is best thing.

PS : I`m wondering if the NDS will get the Salamander Collection.