PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

Mmmm... $40 for box office flops on UMD.

Awesome!

329815[/snapback]

yeah, LAME! the yugioh episodes that you can get on your Nintendo gameboy are so much better! with like... magic card battles and stuff!

329828[/snapback]

Wait, you mean the GBA that's like $200 cheaper? That GBA? That GBA right there?

Seriously, though. I've never seen the draw of the PSP's UMD playback feature, and it astounds me that people willingly buy these things for themselves. Prepping files to play on the PSP off your memory card can't be that difficult, and it saves you tons of battery life to watch them that way. Not to mention I'd rather buy the DVD version and be able to play it in every other DVD player I already own. And is it just me, or are they selling the UMD version of movies for more than the DVD version?

329949[/snapback]

The only problem with that is Sony thought ahead and made it impossible to playback video from a card at the same resolution the disk will feed.

• 2 weeks later...
Mmmm... $40 for box office flops on UMD.

Awesome!

329815[/snapback]

yeah, LAME! the yugioh episodes that you can get on your Nintendo gameboy are so much better! with like... magic card battles and stuff!

329828[/snapback]

Wait, you mean the GBA that's like $200 cheaper? That GBA? That GBA right there?

Seriously, though. I've never seen the draw of the PSP's UMD playback feature, and it astounds me that people willingly buy these things for themselves. Prepping files to play on the PSP off your memory card can't be that difficult, and it saves you tons of battery life to watch them that way. Not to mention I'd rather buy the DVD version and be able to play it in every other DVD player I already own. And is it just me, or are they selling the UMD version of movies for more than the DVD version?

329949[/snapback]

The only problem with that is Sony thought ahead and made it impossible to playback video from a card at the same resolution the disk will feed.

330027[/snapback]

but does it really matter? Higher res that imho is negligible to card resolution? on such a tiny screen?

whether you use the feature or not, the PSP movie playback abilities are there. you don't have to buy UMD movies. but with the resolution and power there, why not utilize it for movies?

The fact is, the GBA and DS can't even begin to approach that level of processor power and resolution.

And at arms length, the screen is plenty big and movies look fine. if you can play a game at that size, why couldn't you watch a movie? especially when the movie requires no interaction?

seriously, the arguement that the PSP sucks because the UMD movies are.. what? not to your liking? when you don't any money for that feature is ridiculous. If you like the tiny ass screen on a GBA and you're complaing about the PSPs screen, you're just irrationally biased. If you complain that the PSP's screen isn't high enough of a resolution but you support the GBA and the pixelated mess that is it's resolution... you're just showing yourself to be a nintendo fanboy.

If you don't like the thing, fine... don't like it. But to say you don't like it because it does what the GBA does only better is just absurd.

gba can handle movies fine but you need the movie player or a supercart. normal flashcarts can only hold so much but then you don't have room for other stuff.

frankly only thing i can see why people would complain about the resolution of the movies on a memory stick on a psp could be the original movie is small and had to be scaled which could cuase some distortion.

edit:

umd movies who knows but then i have to guess its like compairing dvds to svcds.

Edited by Zentrandude

gba can handle movies fine but you need the movie player or a supercart. normal flashcarts can only hold so much but then you don't have room for other stuff.

frankly only thing i can see why people would complain about the resolution of the movies on a memory stick on a psp could be the original movie is small and had to be scaled which could cuase some distortion.

edit:

umd movies who knows but then i have to guess its like compairing dvds to svcds.

332453[/snapback]

not really.. . . Jsut think the moviel files put onto the PSP were originally for computer. some software compresses it down to save space and convert it to a format recognizable by the PSP however I dont think the video is too small then stretched to fit the PSP.

UMDs are good except the price point. Yes i dont wanna spend the money on something when i can buy a DVD. But that is my preference. Given that memory stick space is crucial you cant have too many movies on the card. I have FF Advent children and DYRL on my card. :D

but if I want to watch more movies I cant really fit any mroe without removing my mp3s, and other files.

so to have interchangeable movies is kind of a blessing. Hmm the whole half and half game movie thing is kinda neat but maybe they shoudl ti them together if possible. like Spiderman 2 the movie and game.

whether you use the feature or not, the PSP movie playback abilities are there. you don't have to buy UMD movies. but with the resolution and power there, why not utilize it for movies?

The fact is, the GBA and DS can't even begin to approach that level of processor power and resolution.

And at arms length, the screen is plenty big and movies look fine. if you can play a game at that size, why couldn't you watch a movie? especially when the movie requires no interaction?

seriously, the arguement that the PSP sucks because the UMD movies are.. what? not to your liking? when you don't any money for that feature is ridiculous. If you like the tiny ass screen on a GBA and you're complaing about the PSPs screen, you're just irrationally biased. If you complain that the PSP's screen isn't high enough of a resolution but you support the GBA and the pixelated mess that is it's resolution... you're just showing yourself to be a nintendo fanboy.

If you don't like the thing, fine... don't like it. But to say you don't like it because it does what the GBA does only better is just absurd.

332444[/snapback]

I didn't see anyone say that watching movies on the PSP was a bad idea. No one was debating the processing power of the PSP. No one made the argument that the PSP sucks because the UMD movie thing is poorly implemented. I didn't see anyone complain about the screen size of the PSP or say it had horrible resolution but that the GBA was great. In fact, nothing you're debating here has been brought up, so why did you make this post?

What people have been talking about is the UMD feature's drawbacks, and how the PSP comes with the ability to play movie files off memory sticks and thus bypassing all of those drawbacks.

not really.. . . Jsut think the moviel files put onto the PSP were originally for computer. some software compresses it down to save space and convert it to a format recognizable by the PSP however I dont  think the video is too small then stretched to fit the PSP.

332458[/snapback]

computer video codex are usualy better, newer, and licencing/piracy issues than in portable devices like dvd players so when you convert it for the device's firmware can read it they are usualy larger.

computer movie files the res can vary greatly, this part gets very complicated and very long to explain all of it. nice short version 4:3 movie file may look weird on the wide screen of the psp.

Only reason I'd buy UMD movies....it's a movie I really like and don't want to deal with encoding it from DVD ever time I want to watch it. Plus it's far simpler to just insert and play instead of rip, encode, transfer, and play. So far only two movies have made that list: Predator and Sin City. I'm just waiting for an Aliens UMD...but until then memory stick Aliens it is. B))

Only reason I'd buy UMD movies....it's a movie I really like and don't want to deal with encoding it from DVD ever time I want to watch it.  Plus it's far simpler to just insert and play instead of rip, encode, transfer, and play.  So far only two movies have made that list: Predator and Sin City.  I'm just waiting for an Aliens UMD...but until then memory stick Aliens it is.  B))

332500[/snapback]

That's basically my feeling about it. I just leave the encode on my computer. I usually delete the original ripped file. UMD movies seem to be selling well enough in the US/Canada. Maybe the geek factor is too high for ripping, transfering etc. I just ripped Stewies Untold story last night.

Guilty Gear XX# Reload for the PSP should be here(meaning my house) soon.

Anyone pick up the import version Ghost in the Shell for the PSP? I'm wondering if its any better than the crappy PS2 game.

Only reason I'd buy UMD movies....it's a movie I really like and don't want to deal with encoding it from DVD ever time I want to watch it.  Plus it's far simpler to just insert and play instead of rip, encode, transfer, and play.  So far only two movies have made that list: Predator and Sin City.  I'm just waiting for an Aliens UMD...but until then memory stick Aliens it is.  B))

332500[/snapback]

That's basically my feeling about it. I just leave the encode on my computer. I usually delete the original ripped file. UMD movies seem to be selling well enough in the US/Canada. Maybe the geek factor is too high for ripping, transfering etc. I just ripped Stewies Untold story last night.

Guilty Gear XX# Reload for the PSP should be here(meaning my house) soon.

Anyone pick up the import version Ghost in the Shell for the PSP? I'm wondering if its any better than the crappy PS2 game.

332518[/snapback]

lemme know how Guilty Gear is. Im interested in getting it. Have you played the GBA version? Well dont cause it sucks something awful. The only moderatley decent handheld guilty gear was for Wonderswan Guilty Gear Petit.

October 3, 2005 - Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has announced a couple of new official PSP accessories for the Japanese PSP market. The biggest news is the new Battery Pack (PSP-280), which retains the same size as the current pack but provides up to 20% added capacity at 2200mAh. The battery will be sold for 5,300 yen, pre tax.

Sony will also be launching a new official PSP Memory Stick Pro DUO (PSP-MP1G). With a capacity of one gigabyte, this new device offers far more storage than the current 32 megabyte stick. Pricing is set for 9,500 yen, pre tax. Of course, PSP users can still make use of any standard Memory Stick Pro from a variety of makers, but this price is already a ways lower than the standard Japanese retail price for a one gig stick.

Both accessories will hit Japan on 10/27. We presume US releases will follow, but SCEA has yet to make an announcement as of this writing.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/655/655563p1.html

So, what games are people looking forward to? I am looking forward to Legend of Heroes and Ghost in the Shell...anyone have any info on either of these games?

Twich

I am also looking forward to Rockman Rockman, I hope they make part 2 as well. The Ghouls N Ghosts and Ys 6, The Ark of Napishtim (the PC version was awesome) games looks awesome as well. there is also serious rumors from Konami that they want to produce a 2-D Castlevania for the PSP and it may already be in the works.

there is also serious rumors from Konami that they want to produce a 2-D Castlevania for the PSP and it may already be in the works.

While I'd love for it to be a totally new, original game set in the Soma Cruz post-Dracula future (the soul-stealing function really makes Aria and Dawn), I've heard that it's actually going to be a remake of Symphony of the Night.

lemme know how Guilty Gear is. Im interested in getting it. Have you played the GBA version? Well dont cause it sucks something awful. The only moderatley decent handheld guilty gear was for Wonderswan Guilty Gear Petit.

332849[/snapback]

GGXX #Reload came in the mail yesterday. It's a port of the console versions. Mostly in English except for the story mode and winning quotes. Kinda lazy since an English script does exist and since PSP games are region free you would think they'd include an option for those two modes. The controls are much more resposnsive than Darkstalkers for the PSP. The analog nub can be used. Not bad but not as precise as the D-pad. Visually the game looks good. It doesn't look stretched out like Darkstalkers. The character graphics could be a little sharper/cleaner. Of course the music rocks \m/.

first ds and now the psp looks like some people are just mean and made viruses that will turn your handheld into a brick. On the ds is not bad since you can unbrick it but not yet with the psp and sony won't fix it since it to get the virus you have to mod your psp and that voids the warrenty.

link

first ds and now the psp looks like some people are just mean and made viruses that will turn your handheld into a brick.  On the ds is not bad since you can unbrick it but not yet with the psp and sony won't fix it since it to get the virus you have to mod your psp and that voids the warrenty.

link

336052[/snapback]

right on. I'm glad Sony is taking this stance with people who try to break the law with their PSP. stealing software hurts everyone, including law abiding consumers.

first ds and now the psp looks like some people are just mean and made viruses that will turn your handheld into a brick.  On the ds is not bad since you can unbrick it but not yet with the psp and sony won't fix it since it to get the virus you have to mod your psp and that voids the warrenty.

link

336052[/snapback]

right on. I'm glad Sony is taking this stance with people who try to break the law with their PSP. stealing software hurts everyone, including law abiding consumers.

336066[/snapback]

What law is broken when someone creates thier own games for play on PSP. You know there were many legal uses for Hombrew.

Sony is shooting themselves in the foot by hobbling us like this.

link

336052[/snapback]

336066[/snapback]

What law is broken when someone creates thier own games for play on PSP. You know there were many legal uses for Hombrew.

336070[/snapback]

right... how many people are using the loop holes to make their own games? please... the VAST majority of people are using it to copy and play games that they don't want to pay money for.

how big of a market do you think that is? Worth giving tech support to everybody who wants to pull their PSP apart? Worth all the lost revenue from software piracy?

link

336052[/snapback]

336066[/snapback]

336070[/snapback]

right... how many people are using the loop holes to make their own games? please... the VAST majority of people are using it to copy and play games that they don't want to pay money for.

how big of a market do you think that is? Worth giving tech support to everybody who wants to pull their PSP apart? Worth all the lost revenue from software piracy?

336078[/snapback]

Could you imagine the frustration people would have if the same train of thought was applied to internet services. They'd have to kill it to stop the piracy.

By the way I was playing Hombrew games like Igo and... Igo. :p

This argument is pointless. Pitrates are always able to get around these measures.

PSP gets updated to version 2.50

Newest update adds support for Sony's Location Free TV tuners; live programs can be streamed to remote PSPs.

TOKYO--Sony Computer Entertainment has released a new patch for the PSP that updates the handheld's system software to version 2.50. The update gives the PSP a number of new features, with the biggest addition being the Location Free Player option.

PSP owners will be able to watch TV and play back video recordings through the Internet using the handheld's wireless LAN connection and one of Sony's Location Free TV Base Stations (LF-PK1). The LF-PK1 is a network-enabled TV tuner that lets PCs remotely view television, and it sells for around the price of 29,800 yen ($260).

By hooking up the base station to the Internet, PSP owners can remotely access and check out various TV shows, even if they're overseas. The base station also connects to DVD-HDD recorders and other home video equipment, letting PSP owners remotely play back recordings from their homes.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6135673.html

yeah, that thing is awesome but the locationfree unit costs around a grand for the 7" model and 1500 for the 12" screen...

336371[/snapback]

That doen't fit with what I looked up. It's a device that looks like a cable modem and costs about $400. I want to know how you change channels with it. Is there some kind of IR device or does it have a built in tuner like a cable box?

We gotsta know.

The handsfree unit is typically sold with either a 7" or 12" screen I think. I guess now that you may not need the screen if you have a PSP they're selling them separately.

The 12" is $1500 and there's the new LF-X11 and the LF-X1 is the older model.

The 7" is $1100, LF-X5

If you want just the base station you get the LF-PK1, $350.

Hopefully the PSP will work with the old base stations too since they have software for the PC that works for those.

Hmm....I may now have a reason for getting a PSP and the location free TV. If only I could have gotten it before I went overseas.

Edited by bigkid24

OK. I'm thinking about just the base station. My understanding is that you can set it up for the internet and watch your cable and dvds from the airport or Starbucks hotspots with either your laptop or PSP. The Base station alone looked like it was $400.

The US version of 2.5 is out. Here are the other updates.

Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video].

(This applies to video saved on Memory Stick Duoâ„¢ media).

For details, contact the video content provider.

Note that fees may be charged to obtain or use copyright-protected video.

Downloadable copyright-protected video may not be available in all countries

and regions.

[set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date and Time] in [Date & Time Settings] under [settings].

[WPA-PSK (AES)] has been added as a security method under [Network Settings].

Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP.aspx?id=softwareupdate

For now, this update is mostly pointless for those in North America. Now it's time to go play Guilty Gear XX #Reload :)

Version 2.5 is out.  Can you say T.V. tuner!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much useless right now since we don't have the free play service  here in the U.S. but I guess it's coming.

336572[/snapback]

There's nothing on TV worth watching anyway. 1.5 and homebrew it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question But Im a newbie at this stuff.

Solscud's PSP can play 8bit Nes Games BUT only because of the Kind of Firm Ware on his device... now the question becomes how can I tell what Firm ware is being used on the PSP without looking at it. I have a Bunch at the PX here at FT Bliss but I cant open them and power them up.. is there a way to check the Package itself for Firm ware details.

Thanks

I think that if it is a launch PSP, then it is preset at 1.0....you have to download the firmware updates, so I guess that if they are launch PSP's, then you are all set.

Twich