Paul W.S. Anderson Pens "Alien 6"

Ladic

Week 1  Alien vs. Predator  $ 38,291,056  #1 

Week 2  Alien vs. Predator  $ 12,409,624  #4

Week 3  Alien vs. Predator  $ 4,907,613    #7

Week 4 Alien vs. Predator  $ 3,178,806  drops out of top 10 list

Yep, AvP opened big, then sank like a stone. However, there's only two figures that the studios care about these days:

$38,291,056 - Opening weekend (mainly for bragging rights, it seems)

$103,873,228 - worldwide box office

Weighed against the $60 mil budget, plus another estimated $35 mil advertising, AvP is a "hit," however marginal its profit might actually be in the real world. Hence Anderscum gets to gleefully ply his uberhack talents on the franchise some more.

I think opening weekend is actually a bigger deal for studios because of how contracts are done with the theaters. From what I understand, the studios get a bigger chunk of the opening weekend ticket sales, and the longer the movie stays in theaters the more of a precentage the theaters will get. So, essentially the studios have less of an incentive to make films that continually stay in the theaters week after week. Of course, a film that just kicks ass week after week means more money for everyone. However, those kind of movies are few and far between and studios would rather go for the sure thing. Make a bunch of crappy movies and hype them to get a steady return on opening weekend. One important thing to understand is that just because a studio sets out to make a "quality" film does not mean that they will do it. :(

this sucks i have been so dissapointed with the Alien francise i do not want to even think about how low budget this one is going to be.

Hey, don't blame me! I did my part and didn't go to AvP!!

How many here can say the same thing?  :p

my brotha!

i stand united with you, our solidarity against sh!t movies while the rest say "i hate it, but i'll be in line when it hits theaters and buy the boxed set when it comes out" you and i will be standing strong in defiance of utter crap.

I didn't see it either! Just like I didn't see Freddy vs. Jason. The only vs. I like in my life is Red vs. Blue.

Is it possible for a movie franchise to Jump the Shark, or does that term only apply to TV?

I'd say the Alien franchise has cleared the shark, the platform, the beach, the grandstands and is most likely coming down in the parking lot behind the changing tents.

P W.S. Anderson... puting the yuck back in SUCK.

I am ashamed to have the same family name as he... I must take my own... F no, I'll just put him on my kick in the balls on sight list. :ph34r:

They want a good aliens movie? Bring in the Colonial Marines again...Pulse Rifles pulse rifles!! :D

...and the Smart Rifles too!! Those things were awesome; steadi-cam/recoil-absorbing rifles. I'm suprised they didn't show up in more Sci-fi after Aliens; they did show up in Gundam Sentinel though, on the S Gundam and Ex-S Gundam.

my brotha!

i stand united with you, our solidarity against sh!t movies while the rest say "i hate it, but i'll be in line when it hits theaters and buy the boxed set when it comes out" you and i will be standing strong in defiance of utter crap.

I didn't see it either! Just like I didn't see Freddy vs. Jason. The only vs. I like in my life is Red vs. Blue.

Same here :)

Except for the Red VS. Blue thing... Dunno what it is btw... :p

I can. I didn't go to AvP.

post-25-1092644327.gif

i to can say that i did not go and see it, nor will i be picking it up on DVD when it is released, i am so sick of the Alien series already i will always love the first 2 but i never thought i would here my self say this.

I do not want to see any more Alien movies ever again

Chris

my brotha!

Haven'tseen Red vs. Blue either, but know what it is. Red and Blue Halo guys. Online vid.

It's funny, really. I had never even heard of Anderson before Resident Evil. The trailers for it really looked bad, and I swore I'd never go see it... until one of my friends dragged me along, and I was completely surprised by how much I did enjoy it. (And I've played nearly every RE game made to date.) So when I heard he was doing AVP, I thought, "well, let's give him a shot." After I saw AVP, though, I was not terribly impressed and thought it definitely could have been better. But now... after having seen Resident Evil Apocalypse... I'm full on ready to have him lynched. That movie was so unbelievably bad that I almost feel insulted to have watched it. And now he's going to do the next Alien movie? You've gotta be kidding me. This does not inspire my confidence.

my brotha!

I love Spy Vs. Spy. I used to have a big collected version that I would just pore over every day and laugh and laugh... for the record, I always preferred the Black Spy. But that's just how I roll.

And I can definitely say I did my part by not going to see AvP. Not so much for any high moral ground other than everything I saw regarding the movie looked like ass. I'll go see another Aliens film if they actually hire some talent, not this hack.

Pretty much the same route I've taken with Bond and Star Trek movies over the last 10 years or so. So far my track record's good. The ST movie franchise sleeps with the fishes and Bond is headed that way in a hurry. It just takes the rest of the world a decade or so to catch on and join me in my passive boycotts.

I'm like a little Gandhi of american cinema that way.

QUOTE (Hikuro @ Oct 18 2004, 03:52 PM)

Anything with John Travolta takes a turn for the worst.....I'm surprised the bastard didn't dance in that movie or sing. 

No way, dude, Swordfish ruled.

No...that movie sucked cause not only did it have him, but the hit and run actress who praised herself on being one of the few black women to win a best actress award....get off it....being black is nothing special your just a person I hate that.

When a person gets an award and they start talkin about their religion or their race be it Latino, Black, Asian, White, what ever, I get pissed and never watch a movie they take part in ever again....Hell I can't even watch Die Another Day cause it has Hallie Barry in it <_<

I wish they could honestly get Ridely Scott or James Cameron in this, my god that'd be fantastic and you KNOW they'd get the best in creature effects from Stan Winston...even though Terminator 3 wasn't needed, Stan Winston did fantastic yet again on the Terminator effects like the TX and the 1/1 scale T-800 Arnold lookalike.

But, I haven't seen a film from Ridely Scott in ages, and Cameron I think is just sticking to Documentry or touchy feely films like Titanic........gah....here's a touchy feely :D get a hot heroine chick and the aliens with tenticles! YEAH!

But, I haven't seen a film from Ridely Scott in ages,

Ages?

You must have missed Gladiator, Hannibal, Black Hawk down and Matchstick Men...

I know those movies are low budget, limited release so I can undertand the fact that you may have overlooked them...

Ages?

I know those movies are low budget, limited release so I can undertand the fact that you may have overlooked them...

That was sarcasm right? Cause Gladiator, Black Hawk and Hannibal were all big name releases... I havn't heard of the last one. Havn't seen any of them but I know the first three were big.

lord_breetai Posted on Oct 19 2004, 12:52 PM

QUOTE (>EXO< @ Oct 19 2004, 12:42 PM)

QUOTE (Hikuro @ Oct 19 2004, 10:24 AM)

Ages?

That was sarcasm right? Cause Gladiator, Black Hawk and Hannibal were all big name releases... I havn't heard of the last one. Havn't seen any of them but I know the first three were big. 

>EXO< Posted on Oct 19 2004, 12:42 PM

QUOTE (Hikuro @ Oct 19 2004, 10:24 AM)

Ages?

Oh I saw Gladiator, but it didn't leave an impression on me at all, infact I think I kept falling asleep with it....PLUS our good ol maximus is pissin me off alot too with all drunkin bar fights....I refuse to even remember his name as you can tell :p

Hannible....eh....I read the book so I knew the movie wasn't going to compare too well....even though my folks said it was pretty good...but nah....cause they never showed Clarise as a total Nympho at the end.......wait was that her.....god its been a while.

Black H awk Down...nope.....passed.....saw bits and pieces but it didn't interest me, I'm picky as hell on war movies.

Mathstick Men...seen bits and pieces.....but I'm not a huge Cage fan....the only movies I liked him in was Face Off and Gone in 60 Seconds, also Face Off was one of the few John Travolta movies I liked as well besides Phenomena and maybe 2 or 3 others...can't recall them I'm too tired.

But back to the point, just get an Alien with tenticles and a hot heorine and I garuntee I'll see the movie ^_^

Black H awk Down...nope.....passed.....saw bits and pieces but it didn't interest me, I'm picky as hell on war movies.

I heavily recommend it. Even though it's exactly spot on historically accurate, there are many incidents and moments that occured in the real battle that made it on film. It's one of the best portrayals of modern warfare around... and as for giving a feel of what it might have been like that day, it's pretty effective. Granted, it's 18 hours of combat compressed into 3... but it does follow the flow of the day and is pretty viceral. Tactics, gear, and general look and feel is right on.

It's main weakness is lack of character development, but that wasn't really its aim.

-Al

Oh I saw Gladiator, but it didn't leave an impression on me at all, infact I think I kept falling asleep with it....PLUS our good ol maximus is pissin me off alot too with all drunkin bar fights....I refuse to even remember his name as you can tell :p

We're you not entertained?

Was it not what you wanted?

Well my point was I guess 1 whole year equals to "ages" for you. Since that's how long his films have been absent from the theatres...

and the new Kingdom of Heaven is coming up next year... I know he's not your run of the mill "churn them out" director, but you gotta understand how hard he works on these films...

It wasn't so much I wasn't entertained, its just....it wasn't something I'd really wanna go and see cause it's a gladiator film and those are heavily popular as we all know it being an Oscar award winning film right?

Was it not what I wanted....I can't really say that....I mean....its sorta cool seeing the hero die, its tragic and heroic for him to die killing the boss or main bad guy....

my brotha!

Haven'tseen Red vs. Blue either, but know what it is. Red and Blue Halo guys. Online vid.

I thought he was talking about Superman Red Vs Superman Blue...

one Vs film I want to see is Spy Vs. Spy

"I got called an idiot cause I gave a guy who got shot in the head CPR" "No no that's not stupid I would have done the same thing. One of the blue guys got shot in the foot and I just rubbed lotion on his neck and he felt all better"

:p god I love RedVSBlue.

We're you not entertained?

Was it not what you wanted?

Well my point was I guess 1 whole year equals to "ages" for you. Since that's how long his films have been absent from the theatres...

and the new Kingdom of Heaven is coming up next year... I know he's not your run of the mill "churn them out" director, but you gotta understand how hard he works on these films...

Gladiator ruled!!!!

It should have had more of Ralf Moeller though.

And maybe introduced Arnold as Connan? hmmmm I'd like to see him go against a Tiger :D muwahahahahaha!!!!

I don't know if I should let you tarnish the name of Conan by a Gladiator affiliation. Not that Gladiator was bad... It just wasn't Conan.

And maybe introduced Arnold as Connan? hmmmm I'd like to see him go against a Tiger :D muwahahahahaha!!!!

I don't know if I should let you tarnish the name of Conan by a Gladiator affiliation. Not that Gladiator was bad... It just wasn't Conan.

Gladiator was by far a thousand times better than any Conan movie.....

NOT! :D

Gladiator was by far a thousand times better than any Conan movie.....

NOT! :D

You almost made me choke on the fish I am eating.