captain america

Which model would you buy?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which model would you buy?

• -1/72 VF-9 Non-variable fighter.$195
    • -1/72 GBP1 TV/film ver. $115
    • -1/72 Thunder Hammer. $165
    • -I would buy all 3 if releases are spaced-out far enough

I'll probably get all three if all three were made.

However I expect Hasegawa to make the GBP at some point. Atleast I think that's likely. If you think you might do variable kits down the road I'd certainly take a variable VF-9 over a non-variable one. So I guess that leaves me thinking the Thunder Hammer might be the next best kit to do. However could you do that kit as all resin? There looks like there'd be many small fragile pieces. Would you plan on making any of these pieces out of metal?

Just some random thoughts,

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Hi Carl.

As a rule of thumb, I try to avoid the use of metal in kits unless it's truly needed as a load-bearing structure, like say the launch rail/pylon for the VF-1 booster. Typically, metal shrinks at a different rate than resin, and for certain parts can be tricky to incorporate these 2 materials together with regards to fit.

However, my train of thought is simply to do whatever is necessary and best for the sake of the kit.

Somehow, I get the strange impression that Hasegawa might not tackle the GBP1. Though it's still very much a possibility, I think that I could still offer an interesting take on the design.

Variable VF-9: it would take about as much time to engineer the transformation process as to sculpt it, and would be VERY expensive as a result. In thus, I'd prefer to start with a few more moderately-priced models. At least up until Samurai Monkey can attain a good reputation with regards to quality/craftsmanship, and gain a broader client base that would make sculpting/selling such complicated models more worthwhile.

I really don't think Hasegawa is going to do the GPB kit. They have a pattern of completely exhausting the potential out of a tool before making a new one. They did every variant of the fighter before they did the Battroids. Once they did the Strike they went on to other things. They would have done it if they were going to.

Hi Carl.

Hello Captain,

Somehow, I get the strange impression that Hasegawa might not tackle the GBP1. Though it's still very much a possibility, I think that I could still offer an interesting take on the design.

I certainly don't have any inside information so your guess about Hasegawa is as good as mine but I 100% agree with your second point. I'm sure your take on the design would be worth it. It just might hurt Samurai Monkey if Hasegawa said they were coming out with the kit for $30 while you had half made yours. But maybe that isn't very likely. Either way if you made one, I'd get it.

Variable VF-9: it would take about as much time to engineer the transformation process as to sculpt it, and would be VERY expensive as a result. In thus, I'd prefer to start with a few more moderately-priced models. At least up until Samurai Monkey can attain a good reputation with regards to quality/craftsmanship, and gain a broader client base that would make sculpting/selling such complicated models more worthwhile.

Excellent point and I'm certainly willing to wait. It just makes me wonder how Studio HalfEye and I.H.P made any money. I suspect it would cost as much as an original to make a recast now and what about their engineering time? Maybe that's why neither is making variable Macross kits any more.

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

I'd buy any Macross anything that was 1/72 so I put all three, however the Thunder Hammer kit would definately be at the bottom of my list.

I have no interest in variable kits BTW.

I think after you build one of these from the list you should take another broad based poll on what other kits to build. There's so many choices out there. There was a whole thread on what other kits people would like to see. For example I'd love a VA-3 Invader in 1/72.

Thunder Hammers all the way, but I will buy all (3) if they are produced, and I hope they are!!! :lol:

I won't say this is gospel, but if Hasegawa was planning to do the GBP-1, we would have seen, or heard of something by now. Yamato has had their 1/60 version out for sometime, and I don't think it would have taken Hasegawa any longer to design their own.

And as the John said, even if they do, his version would be unique in it's own way. ;)

I think after you build one of these from the list you should take another broad based poll on what other kits to build. There's so many choices out there. There was a whole thread on what other kits people would like to see. For example I'd love a VA-3 Invader in 1/72.

I agree. I know there's two kits I would absolutely love to see in 1/72... well, three, I guess.

VF-5000

VF-17S

VF-11B

Since Hasegawa doesn't seem inclined to release any of them....

Oh Yeah!!!!!! You have to make the Thunder Hammer. I don't care if its cannon or not. It is simply bad ass and I want one. I will settle for the GBP1, but the Thunder Hammer has my vote. Also I am tired of seeing non-variable fighters. How about a good gearwalk kit?

I must agree with Cobywan!

Hey John, is this too late to request a nicely sculpted launch arm for the 1/72 Hasegawa - maybe with a metal tube insert for strength? I'd definitely buy a few of those!

As usual, I'm ignorant.  What's the Thunder Hammer?  Could someone post a pic or link? Please?  :huh:

I can't vote till I see it. But I am leaning towrd the GBP...

I had to go looking for it myself. Here you go:

Okay,

I did the same thing, always jumping the gun, thats why I have so damn many models now. I voted the GBP1, but I would also buy the Thunder Hammer.

Edited by laroy

I think the Thunder Hummer might sell the best....VF9 next...then GBP...so I would suggest the Hummer now...then maybe VF9 or GBP....after that....VF5000 would be another cool yet to be done kit.

Keep it up guys!

As for the launch arm...we'd love it..but since it's already a WF kit I dont know if its the best option for Monkey Nugget.