1/48 Yamato Conversion Kits

Neova

Which one of these kits would you actually buy if made available to you?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these kits would you actually buy if made available to you?

• 1/48 Elintseeker Conversion Kit - FP required (2 seater cockpit, chest plate, canopy, fast packs, radar, weapons, head, wings)
    • 1/48 SuperOstrich Conversion Kit - FP required(2 seater cockpit, chest plate, canopy, fast packs, Minmay co pilot, head, wings)
    • 1/48 VF-1D Conversion Kit (2 seater cockpit, head, chest plate, canopy)
    • 1/48 HI DETAIL KIt (high detail hud, seats, radar, sleaker nosecone, verniers, etc...
    • 1/48 Stampede Valkyrie Conversion Kit - FP required (new covers for leg FPs, vulcan cannon attachments to backpacks, new nosecone)
    • 1/48 Thunder Hammer Conversion Kit (based off of Yamato's Forth Coming GBP Kit in 2005)
    • All of the above cuz I'm filthy stinkying rich or a Macross Zealot!
    • Other - make suggestions

I voted for HI-Detail kit because I don't like the 1/48 vernier.

What I really want however is a aftermarket canopy, the 1/48 canopy is too wide in my opinion and ruin the look.

Ehi, someone has ever recasted the Hikaru VF-1S gummy pilot?

Edited by Ido

Echo ewilen here.  One thing to consider for many of you, I suspect, is that by rendering your 1/48 custom fodder, you may be losing transformability in that toy at the same time. Please keep that in mind prior to having John do his wunderwerkes.

For the Elint, Ostrich, High Detail and D conversions, there would be no loss of transformability - I dunno why there would be - I got a third of the way done with a 1/60 Elint conversion kit, and there were no signs that any transformability would be sacrificed. Obviously for the Thunder Hammer and Stampy, they wouldn't transform, because that is the nature of those two beasts...

Edited by fulcy

Well as far as i know....the "ThunderHummer" is pretty straight foreward. Its basicly a Modified GBP Armour with a standard FAST Packs on its back.

I think the main thing that seperates the Thunder Hummer GBP and the standard GBP model, is that after the pilot detaches the armour he still has a keeps the booster FAST Pack. Leaving with the option of having both the GBP and FAST Pack i one.

post-4-1095508823_thumb.jpg

What I really want however is a aftermarket canopy, the 1/48 canopy is too wide in my opinion and ruin the look.

reissuepilotundone.jpg

reissuepilot.jpg

What I really want however is a aftermarket  canopy, the 1/48 canopy is too wide in my opinion and ruin the look.

reissuepilotundone.jpg

reissuepilot.jpg

Well, there is someone who sell it then? :)

Well as far as i know....the "ThunderHummer" is pretty straight foreward. Its basicly a Modified GBP Armour with a standard FAST Packs on its back.

I think the main thing that seperates the Thunder Hummer GBP and the standard GBP model, is that after the pilot detaches the armour he still has a keeps the booster FAST Pack. Leaving with the option of having both the GBP and FAST Pack i one.

Yes, but that means this TH can be easily made, I guess. Just repaint it in this grey, other visor etc. and find a sculptor, probably the same that did this model and presto!

Oh yeah....i had this same talk with Neova. Its gonna be a huge money spender if you get it done for you. But if we MWers help out, then we can all make this Thunder Babe become a reality. I think the Thunder Hummer is the best custom/original non cannon Macross design ever made.

Now dont get me wrong ya´ll i think the rest that is mentioned in this tread is great. I would love to support and "Buy" all of them eventually. But i just prefer the Thunder Hummer first, since its so badass and unique compaired to the rest.

If you ask me the Thunder Hummer should be named the "Gundam Killer" :p

-Jin

Oh yeah....i had this same talk with Neova. Its gonna be a huge money spender if you get it done for you. But if we MWers help out, then we can all make this Thunder Babe become a reality. I think the Thunder Hummer is the best custom/original non cannon Macross design ever made.

Now dont get me wrong ya´ll i think the rest that is mentioned in this tread is great. I would love to support and "Buy" all of them eventually. But i just prefer the Thunder Hummer first, since its so badass and unique compaired to the rest.

If you ask me the Thunder Hummer should be named the "Gundam Killer" :p

-Jin

Yeah I remember you also posted the front side:

Bullet_Proof.jpg

*DROOL*

I voted for the Stampeed. However, to make an accurate Stampeed is not just a case of just slightly modifying the FAST Packs and adding extra weapons as Neova's original post implied.

Pretty much every part of the Stampeed is different enough from the VF-1 that it would need to be sculpted from scratch (or the original parts would need to be heavily modified). Significant differences include: - chestplate, lower legs, feet, upper arms (bicep area), intake covers, head, wing tips.

I guess I must be the only person who thinks the Thunder Hummer is ugly.

Graham

Regarding the Thunder Hammer and Stampeed Valkyrie, you guys are right. I was thinking we could leverage some parts from a Strike Valkyrie to keep sculpting at minimum.

The FPs, wing tips, nose cone, leg pieces are new.. Still the tranforming mechanisms and base Valkyrie is the same. It will be up to the sculpter to decide what existing pieces he can work off of, and what pieces needs to be designed.

Same for the Thunder Hammer.

I say lets start with some SuperOstrich, ElintSeeker, VF-1D or Hi detail upgrade kits, then move onto the Thunder Hammer and Stampeed.

Actually, the photo that Opus posted of the Stampeed model kit conversion is also not completely accurate to Kawamori's line-art either.

Check out Kawamori's line-art of the Stampeed Valkyrie on page # 71 of the Macrosss Design Works to see all the differences.

Graham

How about we start slow and get some canopies and bigger hands... there's room enough in the forearms for bigger articulated hands...

I could go for that. I'm not really fond of either the chicken hands or the TV hands. I've found that most of my chicken hands are pretty loose and wimpy. It doesn't help that they aren't sculpted well enough to hold the gun with any real strength. And TV hands look too cheesy. I don't care that they have to be removed for fighter mode, I think they just plain don't look good. They're too organic-looking for a mecha, in my opinion. A stronger, fully articulated pair of hands would be quite welcome, even if they don't allow for perfect transformation.

But I still want all the other stuff, too.

Sizing up the Hasegawa 1/72 hands would be a perfect addition to the hi detail kit.

Also, had I known about Rohby's recast 1S heads earlier, I would have asked him to add the details from the Hasegawa heads before recasting. There are many detail tidbits (not EXACTLY CANON) from Hasegawa's model kits that are lacking in the 1/48s. Thus my idea of the hi detail kit.

"A wise man knows his limitations"

That being said, I wouldn't buy any of these conversion kits. I figured out a while back that while I'm pretty talented at some things - model building and toy customizing is not one of them.

And even the best customs still have a weakness to them that factory toys don't. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be that satisfied with a custom version of any of the above models.

I'd rather Yamato just released them.

That being said, I wouldn't buy any of these conversion kits. I figured out a while back that while I'm pretty talented at some things - model building and toy customizing is not one of them.

And even the best customs still have a weakness to them that factory toys don't. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be that satisfied with a custom version of any of the above models.

If the something like the Thunder Hammer was made (which Yamato would never build) there would be no customizing... you just put it on the valk and sticker it up.

Well as i do agree that the Thunder Hummer should "respectivly" be factory made by Yamato, but lets face it...its a very slim chance that they "might" undertake a project like that. It would be a different story if we still had some contact with Yamato true Graham or somehow with Shoji himself. Only then...could there be some chance of that happining.

Anyways, in keeping up the spirit of the Thunder Hummer. It was a custom made project from the heart. I think its only fitting that we MWers do the same and make it a Macross-fan-made project to the our fellow MWers.

The chance of the Thunder Hummer turning out to be "good" custom really depends on the people who do the sculpting (ideally getting the creator of the TH to do it) and then using good quality resin/plastic etc to get it done and ready.

Dispite that, i too dont have any modeling skills. So that means i the "Buyer" would have to get that aspect done aswell. But that is not only what needs to be done. It also needs some custom stickers sheets. Which would mean we need the help of our fellow friends Anasazi37 and/or Takatoys to get those done.

So the reality of the TH being a reality really depends on us in the end. How many of us MWers want to buy it and does the MacrossWorld creative members wanna be a part of it? (sculping/painting/stickers)

Just a few thoughts.

-Jin

Edited by Jin_Kune_Do

Actually, the photo that Opus posted of the Stampeed model kit conversion is also not completely accurate to Kawamori's line-art either.

Check out Kawamori's line-art of the Stampeed Valkyrie on page # 71 of the Macrosss Design Works to see all the differences.

Graham

Could you post a scan? I don't have Design Works. I'm a bad Macross fan. :(

That being said, I wouldn't buy any of these conversion kits.  I figured out a while back that while I'm pretty talented at some things - model building and toy customizing is not one of them.

And even the best customs still have a weakness to them that factory toys don't.  I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be that satisfied with a custom version of any of the above models.

If the something like the Thunder Hammer was made (which Yamato would never build) there would be no customizing... you just put it on the valk and sticker it up.

Couldn't Yamato make those to be special editions like the low vis?