Bubblegum Crisis 2032

jwinges

I just watched the 1st ep of the original bubblegum crisis. I must say that it is by far one of the cheesiest anime I've ever seen. Thank god I rented it before buying the whole box set. It was all I could do just to make it through it. My wife gave up and just left the room rather than watch this poorly dubbed old school trash. Somebody please tell me if I dare watch ep 2&3. I really want to like this since I liked 2040. But at the moment I just don't see it happening.

Do I dare watch anymore?

Animeigo's release is planned for september, isn't it? :)

Personnally, I love BGC: it's one of my all-time favorites but yes, it can be considered as cheesy sometimes... :p On the other hand, mechanical designs and battle scenes are awesome most of the time, scenarios/themes become very good from Moonlight Rambler (episode5 if memory serves...) and art is always better and better. If you can rent the rest of the OAV, go for it :)

Otherwise, if you're interested into the BGC universe, you may want to give a try to the AD Police OAV (NOT the TV serie available from ADV...): sure you'll not find it cheesy :p

I don't like bubblegum crisis... it's very unlogical. And ofcourse the bike....

But the music is the only little positive side of it./

A.D. police is much more "mature" to watch.. and a better story too.

Edited by Kin

I'll try watching the sub version. I like the mecha designs (although they are kinda chunky monkey's compared to the 2040 suits. The motoslaves are cool. But I hate the music and the characters look awful compared to 2040. What's with the hair color style and change for almost everyone. Nea Nea looks retarted!

I was really wondering what was going on while I watched this...usually the macrossworlder's suggestions are pretty much spot on.

I'll give it another try though.

You gotta be kidding. Konya wa Hurricane is still one of my favourite rock songs, and Mad Machine is a personal favourite too. Try picking up the Japanese mp3s for them, not the english versions (if that's what you heard).

As for the chara designs, got to remember that these are done in the 80s, so some of the designs follow what is fashionable then.

EDIT: hehehe. Post 333 -> halfway to a devil. :)

Edited by Lynx7725

Part of the problem might be Bubblegum Crisis and in its place in anime fan history. In the UK, for example, where I've always had the impression that BGC is pretty highly regarded, at one point it was just about the only example of properly subbed anime around - not just a subbed anime, the subbed anime. For quite some time, it set the benchmark for what a subbed anime should be like, at least for me personally.

Try it with the subtitles, and the original Japanese songs. By most accounts, the dub is pretty awful. And it is quite old; its not going to look as impressive now as it did back in the day...

I'll try watching the sub version.  I like the mecha designs (although they are kinda chunky monkey's compared to the 2040 suits.  The motoslaves are cool.  But I hate the music and the characters look awful compared to 2040.  What's with the hair color style and change for almost everyone.  Nea Nea looks retarted!

:o

Kenichi Sonada's character designs look awful compared to the generic El Hazard-ripoff designs used in 2040?

I'm pretty surprised at that statement.

Edited by yellowlightman

Kenichi Sonada's character designs look awful compared to the generic El Hazard-ripoff designs used in 2040?

I'm pretty surprised at that statement.

Gotta agree with that. Sonoda's characters are much better....

Like everyone else said, though, the problem is the dub. BGC has the worst dub I've ever heard.... If you watch the sub, and still don't like it, well....

We'll have the stake and pyre ready for you....

I remember my brother rented a special version of some kind of bubblegum crisis "real life" concert with real people singing... man that was embarrasing! :p  :D

Hurricane Live 2032 or 2033.

Those were DEFINATELY cheesy.

(off topic) Those were PRE- IDOLS show :lol:

Yeah I realize the change was made from 2032 but it looked retarded as pink. I've got nothing against the series...just trying to stir things up around here. I like the franchise and will definitely be buying the new toys. Still going to have to try watching the sub instead of the dub.

Yeah I realize the change was made from 2032 but it looked retarded as pink. I've got nothing against the series...just trying to stir things up around here. I like the franchise and will definitely be buying the new toys. Still going to have to try watching the sub instead of the dub.

What, Max's hair can be blue, Milia's green, But Nene's can't be pink? As for the designs, Priss is vastly superior in her 2032 incarnation, end of story!

Sometimes I've wondered if this anime is actually aimed for female viewers. Sometimes I get the feeling it's going to be too fenimine.. :blink:

The female cast is definately there for the amusement of male viewers, not female ones.

Would you rather have a bunch of dudes hopping around in skin tight hardsuits?

Or hard suits with boots shaped so you walk on your toes. Ouch.

Part of the problem might be Bubblegum Crisis and in its place in anime fan history. In the UK, for example, where I've always had the impression that BGC is pretty highly regarded, at one point it was just about the only example of properly subbed anime around - not just a subbed anime, the subbed anime. For quite some time, it set the benchmark for what a subbed anime should be like, at least for me personally.

Try it with the subtitles, and the original Japanese songs. By most accounts, the dub is pretty awful. And it is quite old; its not going to look as impressive now as it did back in the day...

I remember at that time Animeigo were releasing it, along with Urusei Yatsura. Urusei Yatsura was also subbed, remember. Those tapes were awful hard to find, though...

Anyway, I never cared for the little I've seen of either series (both the original and '40), and anyway in my view phrases like "You get to burning" just sound silly.

But if I had to pick one, it would be the original, no contest. Sonoda all the way, baby. B))

Old-school 80's character design and style. I saw a bit of 2040, it didn't do much for me. Give me the original BGC, Sonoda character design, 80's music, cheese and all! :p

Sonoda designs worked better than that El-Hazard-ish look the 2040 cast had.

Dubs suck. But then again that's just my opinion. No wait, they suck! :p;)