"New Flash Gordon Movie!" or

Well, the Bladerunner thread brought up another interesting movie of the early 80's called Flash Gordon, the wonderful cheesefest brought to you by those wacky dudes at Dino De Laurentiis. Flash Gordon was one of my favorite movies as a kid because of its campiness; I actually saw it at the theatre during its run. I was sorry to see that you could not get it as a DVD unless you paid extravagant amounts from someone who purchased its original run from Universal.

On to the point of this thread. Empire Movies has reported on August 5, 2004:

Stephen Sommers Lands 'Flash Gordon' Rights

August 5, 2004 08:14 EDT

"Van Helsing" writer-director Stephen Sommers and his producing partner Bob Ducsay have landed the rights to Flash Gordon, and will adapt a feature film based on the iconic comic book superhero for Universal.

Sommers is producing the Flash project with an eye toward scripting. He has yet to helm a project he hasn't scripted.

"Flash Gordon" dates back to 1934, when it was created by famed comic strip artist Alex Raymond, and for decades after appeared in movie serials, animated fare, TV shows and a 1980 Flash Gordon movie directed by Mike Hodges.

The deal also packs good news for classic comics fans, as the legendary intergalactic adventurer, his female companion Dale Arden and scientist Dr. Hans Zarkov will again appear in comic books. This time, the series will be distributed by the nation's third largest comic book company, Top Cow.

The 1980 "Flash Gordon" movie, produced by Dino De Laurentiis and starring Max von Sydow as Flash Gordon nemesis Ming the Merciless, was also released by Universal.

Well, considering how well his last movie did, I'm kind of worried. I did like The Mummy, but when I saw the crap that was Van Helsing, I did not know if I ever wanted to see another of his films. Well, how can you screw up a Flash Gordon movie? It was meant to be cheesy. I'm sure Sommers will find a way.

Christ, who will they get to play Princess Aura? I mean, Ornella Muti was very hot back then wearing that outfit of hers (see image), but she's a little too old to be playing her now.

flasha04.jpg

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Well, the Bladerunner thread brought up another interesting movie of the early 80's called Flash Gordon, the wonderful cheesefest brought to you by those wacky dudes at Dino De Laurentiis. Flash Gordon was one of my favorite movies as a kid because of its campiness; I actually saw it at the theatre during its run. I was sorry to see that you could not get it as a DVD unless you paid extravagant amounts from someone who purchased its original run from Universal.

On to the point of this thread. Empire Movies has reported on August 5, 2004:

Stephen Sommers Lands 'Flash Gordon' Rights

August 5, 2004 08:14 EDT

"Van Helsing" writer-director Stephen Sommers and his producing partner Bob Ducsay have landed the rights to Flash Gordon, and will adapt a feature film based on the iconic comic book superhero for Universal.

Sommers is producing the Flash project with an eye toward scripting. He has yet to helm a project he hasn't scripted.

"Flash Gordon" dates back to 1934, when it was created by famed comic strip artist Alex Raymond, and for decades after appeared in movie serials, animated fare, TV shows and a 1980 Flash Gordon movie directed by Mike Hodges.

The deal also packs good news for classic comics fans, as the legendary intergalactic adventurer, his female companion Dale Arden and scientist Dr. Hans Zarkov will again appear in comic books. This time, the series will be distributed by the nation's third largest comic book company, Top Cow.

The 1980 "Flash Gordon" movie, produced by Dino De Laurentiis and starring Max von Sydow as Flash Gordon nemesis Ming the Merciless, was also released by Universal.

Well, considering how well his last movie did, I'm kind of worried. I did like The Mummy, but when I saw the crap that was Van Helsing, I did not know if I ever wanted to see another of his films. Well, how can you screw up a Flash Gordon movie? It was meant to be cheesy. I'm sure Sommers will find a way.

Christ, who will they get to play Princess Aura? I mean, Ornella Muti was very hot back then wearing that outfit of hers (see image), but she's a little too old to be playing her now.

flasha04.jpg

Jesus I didnt realize the DVD was that expensive. I was in London last year and I got my hands on a Copy of Flash for region 2 DVD (All my DVD players are region free) so its cheap in the UK

at the current rate of exchange its only 10 bucks and change for Flash on DVD =)

no, boycott this movie, only then will stephen sommers be forced to stop.

why?? I liked the Mummy Long live Steven Sommers

mummy may have been enjoyable, but mummy returns was horrible and van helsing was just so bad. so hideous. he's on a downward spiral. he needs to be stopped before he directs again.

and if you have any doubts, I leave you with these two lingering lines from his last attrocity...

"I wonder what the sea looks like"

and

"Yes, I have no heart, for I am a hollow man!"

:gag:

Stephen Sommers..........NOoooooooo!

OK, lets take a look at Sommers body of work as a director: -

• The Adventures of Huck Finn (1993) = Not seen it, so no comment.
  • Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book (1994) = Not seen it, so no comment.
  • Deep Rising (1998) = Good enjoyable popcorn flick, always enjoy rewatching it when it's on TV.
  • The Mummy (1999) = Good enjoyable popcorn flick, enjoy rewatching it when it's on TV.
  • The Mummy Returns (2001) = Very disappointing sequel, seen it once & that was enough.
  • Van Helsing (2004) = Pure Anadulterated Poo Poo. Wish I could erase this from my memory.

Got to agree that based on the films I've seen, Sommers does seem to be on a downward spiral.

Anyway, nothing can top the 1980 Flash Gordon movie.

Graham

It's not our child hood he's raping. It's our grandparents childhood. Just like in 1980.

As for Stephen Sommers helming, I'm happy. I like him. The Mummy and The Mummy Returns were both awesome, albeit for very different reasons. I didn't see Van Helsing because it set of my bad movie alarm, but I have no doubt he still has several good movies in him.

There are two choices with a Flash Gordon film. Either update everything or do it as a retro-future. I think the studio will probably go with the first option because the last Flash movie was done retro-future style (and intentionally campy to boot) and a lot of people just don't 'get' retro-future

I don't know why some many people are so quick to jump all over this movie. Stephen Sommers is awesome! In fact, the only way this movie could be better would be if he collaborated with Paul Anderson and Uwe Boll! You guys are just a bunch of Negative Nellies.

There are two choices with a Flash Gordon film. Either update everything or do it as a retro-future. I think the studio will probably go with the first option because the last Flash movie was done retro-future style (and intentionally campy to boot) and a lot of people just don't 'get' retro-future

Well, if Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow does well at the box office, then we will probably be having a lot more retro-future type of stuff around. Personally, I wouldn't mind the updating if they went that route, but I agree with Graham, you cannot beat the 80's version of the movie.

bsu legato: I don't know why some many people are so quick to jump all over this movie. Stephen Sommers is awesome! In fact, the only way this movie could be better would be if he collaborated with Paul Anderson and Uwe Boll! You guys are just a bunch of Negative Nellies.

Uwe Boll?! UWE BOLL?! I'll wait to see what BloodRayne looks like before I credit him with anything. And I'm not a negative nelly either.

Why did I think Halle Berry when I saw that picture?

Oh please god no.

Any movie WITHOUT Halle Berry is a good movie.

The less we have of that pretentious, stuck up, crappy acting bitch who thinks she's hot (but she's not), the better.

Vostok 7

I honestly don't understand the Hollywood trend to remake movies that don't need to be remade. Flash is perfect just the way it is. As a matter of fact it's one of my all time favorite movies. The only good thing I can see coming of this is a possible resugance of interest in the original Flash Gordon which could lead to DVDs of the 1930's serials (if they still exist).

Why did I think Halle Berry when I saw that picture?

Oh please god no.

Any movie WITHOUT Halle Berry is a good movie.

The less we have of that pretentious, stuck up, crappy acting bitch who thinks she's hot (but she's not), the better.

Vostok 7

I am totally confused by this post. Not because of it's content but because of who the authur is and I dodn't even care for Halle.

Anyways, I'll pass on this film because retro-future style is the only way to do it and most likely won't happen. I'm sure they are thinking something along the lines of CGI heavy Star Wars type of film with an all American football hero chanting "USA" for no apparent reason at some poitn in the film.

I am totally confused by this post.  Not because of it's content but because of who the authur is and I dodn't even care for Halle.

What are you trying to say? That I should like any chick who dresses like a skank and slinks around on screen?

There's a point when personality overshadows looks. And the problem is, if Halle had the looks, the personality would definitely overshadow them.

I refuse to ever see Catwoman. Or that atrocity of a James Bond that had her in it again.

Can you believe she actually said she'd be up to a Catwoman sequel? Well, of course she would. She loves herself more than Agent ONE loves himself!

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Enough of the Halle Bashing. :p Catwoman may have been DOA, but I'd take her any day of the week and twice sunday's. I agree with the general sentiment. Sommers is hack, and this isn't a film that warrants a remake. The 80's film was good as is. This film will be marktedtowards a crowd (primarily teenage males) that probably don't have the foggieston of who Flash Grdon is. One of the reasons Hollwood loves remakes is that they know that they have a proven winner to invest in. If the original material drew people in, then the remake is surely going to do the same. As a opposed to being adventurous and pushing something new and untested on moviegoers.

No one better remake Flesh Gordon! :lol:

Why not? They've already made a sequel. :lol:

I knew you guys were gonna say that sooner or later! :lol:

I could see it now!! Stephen Sommers is gonna screw this up one way or another.

Edited by Angel's Fury

I am totally confused by this post.  Not because of it's content but because of who the authur is and I dodn't even care for Halle.

What are you trying to say? That I should like any chick who dresses like a skank and slinks around on screen?

There's a point when personality overshadows looks. And the problem is, if Halle had the looks, the personality would definitely overshadow them.

I refuse to ever see Catwoman. Or that atrocity of a James Bond that had her in it again.

Can you believe she actually said she'd be up to a Catwoman sequel? Well, of course she would. She loves herself more than Agent ONE loves himself!

Vostok 7

I'm saying she's not ugly like you put it no matter how much her attitude sucks. I understand how you feel tho cuz I'd like to stangle her myself since IMO, she RUINED Storm's character which was the only reason she made it in Hollywood. If not we'd all be talking about her hit n run accident before X-men came out. THen of course she whined about the whig and doesn't evenw ant to play Storm anymore...... Still, you can't deny she's pretty.

• 3 years later...

Oh my... you just brought the 80s movie theme back in my head!

FLASH!!!

Aaahhhh!!!

Savior of the universe!

:lol: :lol:

Buck Rogers? I can only conjure images of Col.Deering from the 70s show. Wonder how that will cross over with a new version...

Barbarella? Should be doable today. Just slap together some weird, weird, WEIRD plotline, put a hot, half-naked chick and sexual innuendo, and you're golden for a remake.