The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

Guess what? I just got an e-mail from a Shayna MacLeod at Anchor Bay Entertainment. She informed me that Anchor Bay did buy all of Manga's titles, and Gunbuster was not among them in the catalogue. She also states that this is probably due to the license expiring before the merge. So the truth comes out. Manga has been lying all these years. They never had any intentions of releasing Gunbuster.

Very interesting.....those a-holes. Time to see if cdjapan still has any Gunbuster DVD's left.

I'm digging up even more dirt on Manga's loss of the Gunbuster license. It seems that John Sirabella of Media Blasters stated that the company had looked into acquiring the rights to sell Gunbuster in North America after Manga lost the license. MB was unable to secure the rights because they discovered that another company obtained the license to release a R1 DVD release. At this point, Sirabella states that while they know who now holds the license, they will not tell who it is.

So, I guess this is good news and all, but who is the new licensee? And are they waiting for Top 2 to finish it's run before starting a DVD release? Hopefully, whoever has it will use the remasters to make a newly translated product with extras and such. I will be attending Otakon in Baltimore this year so hopefully I can dig something up from one of these guys there.

Interesting news indeed. I had meant to ask Keith Burgess at Fanime about this(Fanime showed Digital Panic's version, which I found interesting since a Manga Rep was there). Basically, as long as ADV doesn't have it, I'll be happy. Whomever has it probably is waiting on securing Diebuster as well.

Check this out...new gunbuster figure by kaiyodo!  :ph34r:

Think that's impressive? Check out the work-in-progress pics of Studio Half-Eye's Perfect Variable Gunbuster!!

http://halfeye.m78.com/himiken/h-ken/h-ken.html

The proportions look kinda weird... But keep in mind, the Gunbuster has what may just be THE most implausible transformation in the history of anime. And this guy's making it work!!

SHE stuff always costs you an arm and a leg and maybe a kidney too anyway. I think the Getter Robos were more implausible than the Gunbuster...and SHE actually managed to do those quite well. ;)

Well that's definitly interesting. Where'd that come from?

Also, another group is apparently fansubbing Gunbuster.

ADTRW is pleased to announce that we have digitized and released episode 1 of the 1988 anime series Gunbuster. It's now available to download via BitTorrent.

It is ADTRW's belief that this anime is no longer licensed in the United States; please contact us if you currently own the license to this.

We've just finished up Gunbuster 1, Episode 2. It was subtitled by some loser group like ten years ago. Download it today!

"Summary of episode: Noriko whines, Amano and Jung fight, <physics> tits occur"

For the heck of it, I'm grabbing the second episode to see how it compares. Their forum makes it sound like they're cleaning up the translation.

http://astrange.ithinksw.net/gunbuster/

It is nice to see it get attention in the digisub world, if only from bit groups(these guys usually release manga).

It looks like an updated version of their previously released figure. Except for the leg movement. Almost the same pose with the arms crossed too, but more attitude is reflected in the gesture. I wonder what the weapons pack will be?

Actually I don't like the new attitude pose. It looks like the bad-boy-street-punk-I've-got-something-to-prove look while the old stand-up-straight-with-folded-arms says I've-got-nothing-to-prove-to-you-but-if-you-want-I-can-kick-your-ass-seven-ways-to-hell-and-back.

Exactly. There is only three poses that the GB actually uses in the anime that the figure shows. GB does do the badboy pose, but at the sametime I wonder how poseable the arms, hips and legs are.

Check out these moves, now can the toy be posed in those?

http://www.gunbuster.net/interface_home.html

http://gunbuster.areaseven.net/gunbuster.htm

Still this fig is better than previous ones, but it still looks stiff IMO. Somehow I doubt it could do the SuperLightingKick. :huh:

And?  :huh: Great? OK? Sucked?  :huh:

I can't begin to tell you how GREAT this series was. But I'm still a bit of a n00b so hopefully this question (about the ending) won't seem too weird.

We're told in the second episode that 1 minute (during warp) = 3 months on Earth.

How is it that so much time has passed on Earth (almost 12,000 years)? I thought that the Gunbuster was too heavily damaged to go into warp. How can all this time pass if they've just been drifting in space? Shouldn't normal time be taken into account?

Edited by UN Spacy

How is it that so much time has passed on Earth (almost 12,000 years)? I thought that the Gunbuster was too heavily damaged to go into warp. How can all this time pass if they've just been drifting in space? Shouldn't normal time be taken into account?

I always just guessed that the long period of time was caused by the effect of the black hole created by BM 3, not the remaining collapsing motor in GunBuster itself.

And?  :huh: Great? OK? Sucked?  :huh:

I can't begin to tell you how GREAT this series was. But I'm still a bit of a n00b so hopefully this question (about the ending) won't seem too weird.

We're told in the second episode that 1 minute (during warp) = 3 months on Earth.

So much time passes because it can't warp. It's traveling at close to the speed of light, but still sub-light. Relativity makes it so very little time passes for our two heroines, but many years go by back home.

Who did the designs for the orginal Buster series? And did they have any art books come out for it?

I don't know if there were any others, but there is at least one book, Complete Gundbuster that was released.

I know the designer of Gunbuster itself was done by Koichi Ohata. I believe the other designs were done by a different artist. Of course there is Mikimoto as character designer.

Just saw orginal series ep#2 and really like the designs and overall style. Especially the styles the ships have.

Who did the designs for the orginal Buster series? And did they have any art books come out for it?

All of the mecha designs were done by:

Kazutaka Miyatake

Koichi Ohata

Mahiro Maeda

If you want to know about artbooks, look here: http://www.toponeraegunbuster.com/Gunbuster-Books.html. There were of course other books and such with artwork, but the ones I have listed were the main over all. There are also some Mikimoto books such as My Time and Haruhiko Mikimoto Illustrations which has some original artwork.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the original as well while the boards were down. That was one of the best things I have ever seen. The ending was just great as well.

Also saw the first two episodes of the new series. I'm not sure what to think yet I hope the fansub for three comes out soon.

A recent interview with director Tsurumaki has him stating that 4-6 of Diebuster will be darker and more drama/action oriented. Basically, the setup's over.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Any of you play the PS2 Gunbuster game? I've been thinking of getting it or finding someone who can get me a copy. Is it Japanese intensive. I can handle macross, gundam, and some other games but a lot of Japanese titles have too much japanese in them for me to follow. Like Evangelion.

Hey all! I'm back. I am so glad MW is back up. Trying to talk Gunbuster with the knuckleheads at the Animenation and Anipike Forums is like trying to talk to a brick wall. Thankfully this forum is more adult oriented, that is, whenever we aren't fighting amongst one another. :p

Just thought I'd share my latest Yahoo Japan accuisition :)

Came across this a couple days ago -- a 1/72 scale (i think) Cosmo Attacker V resin kit! It's the space fighter that the Exelion employed, in addition to the RX-7 series of machine weapons.

It doesn't exactly have a prominent role in the series, so it's an obscure craft to say the least. Imagine my surprise when I found that someone made a resin kit of it!

It was an event-only kit, though I don't know when, where, or by whom it was sold. Hopefully I'll learn more when I get the kit. I'll be very interested to learn if the group that made it produced any other Gunbuster kits!

post-50-1121375963_thumb.jpgpost-50-1121375945_thumb.jpg

This is a bit late, but Gainax has announced the winners of the contest they were advertising on their site for designing the new Buster Machine. The new machine or machines will be making their first appearance in episode 5. Out of over 200 entries in the contest, the grand prize winners were Gainax Net members Toransan and Sowasandu. And while we are at it, these machines look awfully strange.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Wow, those are strange. I kind of like them though.

I finally got some of the mini figures too. Someone at AX was selling two open boxes for 5 bucks a piece. I got a Cyzler White and Kazumi's RX. It had felt weird not having any.

Which buster machine in the new series hasn't looked strange? :)

I like the second design better. The first one just looks like a sinister Dix-Neuf to me.

312304[/snapback]

Yeah, that first one kind of reminds me of an updated Angel from Evangelion.

I am still wondering if there isn't some *much* bigger, more powerful Buster Machine to come. What we have seen so far seem to be akin to Sizzler units.

312339[/snapback]

I'm betting that too. Would be cool if the Original Buster Machine design somehow was brought back...

• 2 weeks later...