The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

It's years since I last watched Gunbuster, so what the heck is a "Sizzler"?

Sounds like the name of a sausage!  :D

Graham

The mecha used by the pilots in episode six. It is the mass produced Gunbuster, only way smaller. See the pic.

Edit: By the way, here's a little trivia. See if you can answer this. The head of the Sizzler is based off of the head of a monster seen in the original and remade versions of this movie starring a giant turtle. Can you name the monster?

post-26-1111034605_thumb.gif

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Wow, I have no recollection of that mecha at all, but it's probably about a decade since I last watched Gunbuster. Perhaps it's time to dig up my old VHS tapes and see if I like it any better this time round.

Graham

Graham

The mecha used by the pilots in episode six. It is the mass produced Gunbuster, only way smaller. See the pic.

Edit: By the way, here's a little trivia. See if you can answer this. The head of the Sizzler is based off of the head of a monster seen in the original and remade versions of this movie starring a giant turtle. Can you name the monster?

Gyaos.

Graham

The story goes that the staff named it after the Sizzler steak houses.

The official word on that is there was a coffee shop near Gainax which was named "Sizzler", but the naming of the mecha was totally unrelated to it. The American connection which would imply that the mecha was named off of the franchized steak houses is false. The name was given to the mecha from a toy minicar made by Mattel which featured a flashing light on top of it.

Wow, I have no recollection of that mecha at all, but it's probably about a decade since I last watched Gunbuster. Perhaps it's time to dig up my old VHS tapes and see if I like it any better this time round.

Graham

......You didn't like gunbuster???

Graham

......You didn't like gunbuster???

Now I understand why Yamato cut him off.

*Still patiently waiting for Gunbuster 2 Episode 2 Sub.*

*VERY impatiently waiting for a decent DVD sub of Gunbuster original OAV.*

Prediction - all the DieBuster machines will combine to form DieBuster.

Sort of like Gundam Seed Destiny -

IMG_002628.jpg

I kid!

Well, the episode six fansub is out. It is the open matte version. Funny thing is, the last shot is still black and white, and there's no animation over the credits. Is it like that on the DVD or is it yet another source problem?

Well, the episode six fansub is out. It is the open matte version. Funny thing is, the last shot is still black and white, and there's no animation over the credits. Is it like that on the DVD or is it yet another source problem?

Yeah it is all black and white, and there is no animation over the ending credits. Sorry, but that is all that there is. After all, this is not how the last episode was intended to be shown. IMO, I like the cropped version better, because it gives the final episode a sense of scope and magnitude which helps establish the entire series as an epic story.

Ah, so it wasn't a mistake. I haven't watched the episode myself, but chances are I'd prefer the widescreen anywhy. Though I did miss the sudden change to color when I previewed it. It just added so much in the scene. I actually can't believe some would want the episode in full color.

Apparently they don't actually have the DVDs. As such, they don't have raws for the widescreen version of six nor the second science lession. :ph34r:

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Well, my fandom life is complete. :lol:

Thanks for posting those.

[Noriko as Makoto Kino.......^_^]

Now if they'd only get that raw so they can release these. :ph34r:

Your site's looking good. I'd love to put my own site together, but wouldn't know where to begin.

What's the minifilm supposed to be? ANd wth is the deal with those sailormoon dresses?

What's the minifilm supposed to be? ANd wth is the deal with those sailormoon dresses?

They're bonus shorts on the new DVD set.

The Sailor Moon bit was from the bonus science lessons made for the anniversary LD box set that came out a few years ago. Basically Noriko is going through the names of the planets and she changes into the sailor fuku of that SM character while she does so. Even better in that one are all the extra planets they add past Pluto. Definitely some old school SF fans behind that one.

There are three mini films on the remastered DVD set which are about a minute in length. The first one looks kind of like a training video used to recruit pilots for the Okinawa School, but since I cannot understand Japanese without the subtitles I can't tell you what they're saying. The second film could have been inserted as deleted combat footage from episode four, just prior to Noriko launching in the Gunbuster. The third film deals with Jung's involvement in the development of the Sizzler. They show her piloting the mecha and the various weapons it has.

If you have not seen the two missing science lessons which were released on the anniversary laser disc boxed set, click on the link provided below to watch the entire five minute QuickTime movie. Sorry about the size and quality, but I'm still modem impaired due to where I live and I don't have all year to upload a 80 gig file. If you have problems opening, just right click and save the target as to your computer.

Enjoy!

http://toponeraegunbuster.com/science_lessons.mov

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Well, that fansub group plans on releasing the science lessions as well. They've just found someone who provided a better raw for number 2 and the real episode six.

Here's the discussion thread. Gee, can you guess which poster I am? :ph34r:

http://forum.digitalpanic.net/index.php?showtopic=5407

Thanks for posting them Noriko. I see they predate Sailor Moon S(observation made due to lack of subs :rolleyes: ). Cute moments though.

Any ideas as to why the endings slightly different for the open-matte?

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Hey! I want your opinion, guys! Now that I have these awesome remastered DVD's, and have cracked their copy protection, region coding, and burned them to dual layer discs to make them friendly for my home DVD player, I've been doing some thinking lately about removing the images I have on my site and replacing them with the remastered images. Which comes to my dilemma. I'm thinking of using the open matted images from the extras disc for my episode 6 page. I like the fact that there is more background to the image, but I am partial to the 'letterboxed' look of the original episode. I'm wanting to keep the overall number of images on each page the same size so they are uniform, which is why I'm leaning toward using the open matte. And yes, I know I have been putting my little seal on these images lately, but if I am going to make new ones, I sure don't want some lazy slacker using them on his site. Let me know what you think by looking at the image below.

post-26-1112243419_thumb.jpg

That open-matte shot appears to reveal an animation error. I'd say stick with the widescreen. It's the official version.

What error? Are you talking about her knee?

Noriko, personally I liked the uncropped version better. I always feel like cropped widescreen format simply takes away visual work that does exist. I feel the same about movies filmed in 16.9 widecsreen but then cropped to fit your TV.

Noriko, personally I liked the uncropped version better. I always feel like cropped widescreen format simply takes away visual work that does exist. I feel the same about movies filmed in 16.9 widecsreen but then cropped to fit your TV.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't see an error. There are some points in the open matte episode that do show where the animators stopped painting the cel, but I do not see that here. And this shot is so emotionally charged, I think the full image would look better also.

That open-matte shot appears to reveal an animation error. I'd say stick with the widescreen. It's the official version.

The thing is that the animators very obviously designed it to be cropped from the beginning. It's not like the just decided to lop off the top and bottom on a whim after the got done making it. There must have been a technical issue that prevented them from using the aspect they wanted, but if you look at the book that comes with the DVD, it is what was intended.

The thing is that the animators very obviously designed it to be cropped from the beginning. It's not like the just decided to lop off the top and bottom on a whim after the got done making it. There must have been a technical issue that prevented them from using the aspect they wanted, but if you look at the book that comes with the DVD, it is what was intended.

I guess I'm going to have to review my DVDs. Didn't really notice other than what I saw as "minor" unfinished leftovers. Just brushed it off as corner cutting and deadline related issues (I'm not stranger to that).

As for that shot of Jung, I still like the full screen version better.

I think I will dedicate a separate page for images from the open matte, that way you can get a before and after kind of effect. That may work, since both are official now, and I've already included images from the mini films.