The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

On another thought, they should really come out with a Soul of Chogokin Gunbuster if they haven't already. Since they already have an EVA one, they ought to show love for the other Gainax super robot! God, I'm drooling just thinking of the potential of such a toy.

That'd be cool, but it would have to be bigger than every other robot in the line to really do Gunbuster justice.

On another thought, they should really come out with a Soul of Chogokin Gunbuster if they haven't already.  Since they already have an EVA one, they ought to show love for the other Gainax super robot!  God, I'm drooling just thinking of the potential of such a toy.

That'd be cool, but it would have to be bigger than every other robot in the line to really do Gunbuster justice.

The bigger the better! :)

Although it would probably have to be ten times the size of the SOC Mazinger Z to really keep to the scale, since Gunbuster is 200 meters tall! That would translate into a die cast toy the size of a small child! :lol:

On another thought, they should really come out with a Soul of Chogokin Gunbuster if they haven't already. Since they already have an EVA one, they ought to show love for the other Gainax super robot! God, I'm drooling just thinking of the potential of such a toy.

In the Super Robot Wars games the Eva are treated more as Real Robots then Super Robots... much weaker and more agile then a Super Robot (like Mazinger or Gunbuster)... So just a love for Gainix robots then.

I think they are more "real robots" too... though they arn't realistic at all.

I HATE THE NEW SERIES!!!!!!! Why? Because it is infesting the local anime club here. Unfortuanetly new fans who aren't familar with the original are looking at this series and thinking thatg THIS POS is what the the Gunbuster series are all about. It's worst than tragic. Anyways, I just stormed out of a "Bring Your Own Anime Night" showing because for the final series someone (not just anyone omsone but the Anime Club President who is SUPPOSED to know better!!! ) :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: picked that stupid crap. Of course the n00bs are gonna eat it up cuz it has cute girls with bouncing jugs but the ooriginal which si a true classic will have gone completely over their heads!!! ARGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Edited by Jemstone

I HATE THE NEW SERIES!!!!!!! Why? Because it is infesting the local anime club here. Unfortuanetly new fans who aren't familar with the original are looking at this series and thinking thatg THIS POS is what the the Gunbuster series are all about. It's worst than tragic. Anyways, I just stormed out of a "Bring Your Own Anime Night" showing because for the final series someone (not just anyone omsone but the Anime Club President who is SUPPOSED to know better!!! ) :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: picked that stupid crap. Of course the n00bs are gonna eat it up cuz it has cute girls with bouncing jugs but the ooriginal which si a true classic will have gone completely over their heads!!! ARGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Angry much? :)

Its your job to enlighten them, Jemstone. Geez...get a b33r, calm down. And show them the POWAH of Top Wo Nerae : Gunbuster!

But apart from that it's great, right?

I'm starting to like the look of the Perfect Guide. Hmm. I wish I hadn't thrown away all the info I had about the DVD... I may get it now. :o:unsure:

What's on it again..? Just interviews...? :unsure:

Edited by Renato

I was wondering if anyone has the timed script for Gunbuster and is kind enough to shared it. If not, how about a text version of the script (I can timed it myself)? I want to add the subtitles to the R2 Gunbuster DVDs I just got.

Thanks in advance

There's the Literal Translation Series. You'd have to re-write it though. I'm not sure what else is available. Literal Translation Series - Gunbuster

Also, comparison pic of the remaster have been posted. Like the Eva remaster, it looks like they jusy mostly upped the brightness and darkened the contrast. Though there appears to be a nice reduction of rainbow artifacts. I'm also intrigued by the open-matte version of episode six. I'm sure the actual picture looks better, as I didn't think much of the Eva remaster until I saw the R2s. Though I might actually buy this if I have the chance. I've already spent way too much on Eva.

Gunbuster old VS Renewal

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I was wondering if anyone has the timed script for Gunbuster and is kind enough to shared it. If not, how about a text version of the script (I can timed it myself)? I want to add the subtitles to the R2 Gunbuster DVDs I just got.

Thanks in advance

I'll see if I can find you one when I get home.

Somehow the new series looks like "FLCL". I liked FLCL. But it is a shame what they are doing on Aim for the top 2. I guess the message in the eyecatcher isn't that false.

DIE BUSTER!!!-Kill the remake-DIE BUSTER!!!

Thanks in advance

I'll see if I can find you one when I get home.

Hmm... not finding anything completed just off hand other than the text script posted above.

Thanks Mercurial Morpheus and JELEINEN for looking. I found that text doc too and it need some major text edit, but I'll work on it to get the time stamp on the DVDs and drop in the edits when I get to it.

BTW, Mercurial Morpheus, your link on the comparasion did not work, it leads back to the Gunbuster script, can you post that link again?

Thanks

Got an email from Keith at Manga regarding Aim For The Top! Gunbuster:

yes for release next year

:rolleyes: Believe it when I see it.

If they do it, I'd be willing to bet it's a hard sub using the VHS tapes as a source. That'd be par for the course when it comes to Manga.

Got an email from Keith at Manga regarding Aim For The Top! Gunbuster:

yes for release next year

:rolleyes: Believe it when I see it.

Keith has been using that same old answer for years. He gives it at every convention he attends when asked "When is Gunbuster coming out on DVD?" and he gives it when answering someones' e-mail. Screw Manga. I'm getting my new R2 discs soon.

Yes, there is some animosity. Do you blame me? Manga has been saying this ever since the DVD format came out. The only good thing I can see of this is that maybe, just maybe, they are going to get the new masters for the American market.

If they do it, I'd be willing to bet it's a hard sub using the VHS tapes as a source. That'd be par for the course when it comes to Manga.

Manga will probably do the same thing to Gunbuster like they did to Dangaioh. They'll probably condense the first three episodes down to just a half an hour and give it the worst English dub ever. And they will totally remove the option of having a Japanese language track.

Doh! I accidently copied the previous link again. Note that the pics load horribly. I'm on a very high speed connection and I had to try multiple times. If too many can't get them, perhaps I'll try posting the ones that are the most problematic.

Fixed Gunbuster comparison link.

Also there's a seven minute trailer for the game. Shame that there's little chance of it getting released her. Has footage from both OAVs.

Direct link to PS2 trailer

I've only seen the HK disc to compare it with, but the remaster is very awesome. Comparing it with the Eva remaster is very accurate. To hell with waiting for Manga, they pissed me off with MP:ME, and I will never forgive them. The only thing I noticed was that the toy commercial after the eyecatch was missing (not sure if it's a standard part of the release), but then I've only watched the first episode, and it may be included as an extra on the 4th disc.

I've only seen the HK disc to compare it with, but the remaster is very awesome. Comparing it with the Eva remaster is very accurate. To hell with waiting for Manga, they pissed me off with MP:ME, and I will never forgive them. The only thing I noticed was that the toy commercial after the eyecatch was missing (not sure if it's a standard part of the release), but then I've only watched the first episode, and it may be included as an extra on the 4th disc.

Toy commercial???

I've never seen or heard of this before, so I'm pretty sure it isn't standard. Show, show!!

The commercials were on the original laserdisc and vhs releases of volume 1, and nowhere else, as far as I know. They were removed from the LD box release, and I think from the DVDs also.

And in case you're wondering, the commercials were for two Bandai toys. Little Lady Club (a series of dolls), and Ichi Nitto San (a kid's knitting machine).

Yes, there is some animosity. Do you blame me? Manga has been saying this ever since the DVD format came out. The only good thing I can see of this is that maybe, just maybe, they are going to get the new masters for the American market.

Totally understand and agree. It's actually what's fueling ym anger. I wouldn't be having the trouble I'm goign thru with n00bs if Gunbuster had been released. Many of these guys don't know what it is and can't just go to the store and pick it up unless they do an extensive search for the US Rendition tapes. This is all Mangle's fault!!

Well, I finally saw it. And I'm gonna have to give it a double-cover. So here now is another episode of...

nadiacover.jpgmylenecover.jpg

newgb01.jpg

Top wo Nerae 2! Die Buster ( トップをねらえ2! )

GAINAX/View Works/Victor Entertainment/Bandai Visual, 2004-2005

God help us if this gets licensed...

Directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki (FLCL)

Not Rated (Suggested 16-Up). Contains violence, T&A and suggestive HLA.

Nono is a clumsy waitress who dreams of becoming a space pilot. One day, she meets Raruku, a member of the elite psychic pilot team "Topless". But when space monsters appear from out of nowhere to wreak havoc on Mars, Raruku calls out her Buster Machine - codenamed "Dix-Neuf" - to subdue the threat. During a battle with a Space Monster, Raruku gets the surprise of her life when she sees Nono use her super-strength to help Dix-Neuf destroy the alien. From that point, Nono hangs along with Raruku in hopes of becoming a member of Topless.

Story: D-

The original Gunbuster series was nothing short of legendary, boasting an excellent storyline, outstanding animation and one of the best endings in anime history.

It should've ended there.

Unfortunately, GAINAX decided to milk the Top wo Nerae! franchise with a sequel subtitled Die Buster. In only one episode, Die Buster reeks of continuity loopholes and no sense of plot direction. Nono has major character issues while Raruku is unappealing as an onee-sama type character.

In short, Die Buster is every Gunbuster fan's worst nightmares come true.

Animation: B-

FLCL may be a great title, but its artwork belongs nowhere in the Gunbuster universe. Dix-Neuf (designed by Yoshitsune Izuna of Gad Guard fame) is downright ugly, not to mention unappealing in function. Not to mention that the 3D animation by View Works (Area 88, Heat Guy J) looks completely out of place.

Soundtrack: B

Kohei Tanaka (Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Sakura Wars), who composed the soundtrack for the original Gunbuster series, returns with a new musical score for this OAV. Unfortunately, there's nothing memorable here other than a synthetic-sounding remake of the Gunbuster theme.

Cast

Die Buster features Yukari Fukui (Kokoru in Petite Princess Yucie, Yayoi in MØUSE) as Nono, Maaya Sakamoto (Hitomi in Escaflowne, Reika in RahXephon) as Raruku, Miyuki Sawashiro (Puchiko in Di Gi Charat, Mint in Galaxy Angel) as Tykho, Mitsuo Iwata (Kaneda in AKIRA, Itsuki in Initial D) as Nichola, and Takumi Yamazaki (Isamu in Macross Plus, Ferio in Magic Knight Rayearth) as Casio.

The Bottom Line

GAINAX hates you, and it shows with this poor excuse for a Gunbuster sequel. It ranks down there with Gravion and Godannar as one of the worst giant robot anime titles of the new millennium.

Links

Official Top wo Nerae 2! Homepage (Japanese)

GAINAX's Official Top wo Nerae 2! Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Also there's a seven minute trailer for the game. Shame that there's little chance of it getting released her. Has footage from both OAVs.

Direct link to PS2 trailer

Is there any way to get a direct download link?

Streaming video is choppy as heck (and my connection is usually fast). :(