The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

I've finally seen this first episode of Top wo Nerae 2 and I have to say that I felt less disapointed by this episode than after the first episode of the original gunbuster.

I really love gunbuster considering the whole story but considering just the first episode it was not so good, when u see the animation of training robots doing push up ... <_<

Let's hope dix-neuf is not the main buster machine and a great mecha will come later :), or other buster machine will comine with dix-neuf to hide its ugly design :)

If the next episodes stay like the first one, it won't give something unforgettable, probably something very forgettable, but if it follows the same story evolution as gunbuster, it may give something great

I've finally seen this first episode of Top wo Nerae 2 and I have to say that I felt less disapointed by this episode than after the first episode of the original gunbuster.

I really love gunbuster considering the whole story but considering just the first episode it was not so good, when u see the animation of training robots doing push up ... <_<

Let's hope dix-neuf is not the main buster machine and a great mecha will come later :), or other buster machine will comine with dix-neuf to hide its ugly design :)

If the next episodes stay like the first one, it won't give something unforgettable, probably something very forgettable, but if it follows the same story evolution as gunbuster, it may give something great

The first episode of the original series did a great job of hooking me. The opening monologue of Noriko talking about her father gave it good emotional depth and ensured that there was going to be something more than just action or otaku references in the show. I got nothing like that from the first episode of this new series.

I really love gunbuster considering the whole story but considering just the first episode it was not so good, when u see the animation of training robots doing push up ...  <_<

The first episode of the original series did a great job of hooking me. The opening monologue of Noriko talking about her father gave it good emotional depth and ensured that there was going to be something more than just action or otaku references in the show.

It's for this exact same reason that I got into Gunbuster1 so easily: the second episode expanded quite well this part of the show while introducing more SF-esque things (such as the space ships and the body of the dead alien...), overally that's a great way to introduce a story IMO :)

Speaking of the body of the dead alien. Was that supposed to be what they made the Gunbuster out of?

Where'd you come up with that? I figured that it was just a dead specimen they were keeping to study.

Yeah, that's the first I've ever heard of that. The specimen was just a dead drone they acquired for study.

Factoring in the size of the speciman, that it was kept on the ship & never shown again, and the fact that the gunbuster was such a huge technological leap over earlier buster machines.

Just a theory...

Speaking of the body of the dead alien. Was that supposed to be what they made the Gunbuster out of?

I think there's too much EVA in your diet, man.

Well, there's too much Macross into EVA aswell, then... :p:)

Factoring in the size of the speciman, that it was kept on the ship & never shown again, and the fact that the gunbuster was such a huge technological leap over earlier buster machines.

Just a theory...

Gunbuster was the fist Buster Machine... well the first two actually... hence Buster Machine-01 and Buster Machine-02 it's two components... the RXs are not Buster Machines... The Shizzler's are... they are the mass production Buster Machines.

So we have Buster Machine 01 and 02 which form the Gunbuster

Buster Machine 03 "The Black Hole Bomb"

The Shizzlers (Mass prdouction Gunbusters)

and

Dix Neuf

those are the only mecha we've seen that have been called Buster Machines... has nothing to do with the alien theory... but just correcting a semanic the RXs are not Buster Machines.

Gunbuster was the fist Buster Machine... well the first two actually... hence Buster Machine-01 and Buster Machine-02 it's two components... the RXs are not Buster Machines... The Shizzler's are... they are the mass production Buster Machines.

Shizzler, huh? That's the first time I've ever heard the Cyzlar referred to that way. I generally go by the romanized Sizzler as used in the US Renditions tapes because it sounds closer to the original.

Sorry, I'm being picky.

Shizzler, huh? That's the first time I've ever heard the Cyzlar referred to that way. I generally go by the romanized Sizzler as used in the US Renditions tapes because it sounds closer to the original.

Sorry, I'm being picky.

I belive the katakana is シズラー which reads Shizura-... I could be wrong but it is something close... so I've always romanized it Shizzler or Sizzler... mind you I've played Super Robot Wars Alpha a lot more recently then I've seen Gunbuster so my more recent exposure is to a source in Japanese.

I finally watch this 1st episode yesterday and the very least I can say is that it's... "surprising" indeed. But I'm not sure it's a proof of bad quality: the Onee-Sama girl pilot seems to be very surprised with what happened into the second half of the story, which may mean that a lot of things will be explained into the next episodes

Personnally, I'll wait to see more before giving a final judgement :)

Sorry, I'm being picky.

I belive the katakana is シズラー which reads Shizura-... I could be wrong but it is something close... so I've always romanized it Shizzler or Sizzler... mind you I've played Super Robot Wars Alpha a lot more recently then I've seen Gunbuster so my more recent exposure is to a source in Japanese.

Didn't Gainax eat a lot at Sizzler's hence the name? I always heard that and never bothered to find out of it was true.

I finally watch this 1st episode yesterday and the very least I can say is that it's... "surprising" indeed. But I'm not sure it's a proof of bad quality: the Onee-Sama girl pilot seems to be very surprised with what happened into the second half of the story, which may mean that a lot of things will be explained into the next episodes

Personnally, I'll wait to see more before giving a final judgement :)

You will soon see all the qualities that make it "the" best OVA ever!

• 2 weeks later...

Gainax Net has started to post fan artwork from Top O Nerae! 2 on their homepage. I figured I would share it with you by posting it here. Hurry up and save it if you want the image at its full size. Gainax keeps them up for a week before archiving them as part of their image museum.

147_top2.jpg

Gainax has released the cover art for the new PS2 game coming out in January of 2005. Unfortunately it is rather small and I have been unable to find a larger image. The game will be a 3D action based platform, and will include a B2 size poster if you are one of the first to purchase it. I don't know if this (the poster) is through Gainax's web store or not, but if it is, forget about getting it. There is supposed to be some new Mikimoto art included also. The image is below.

post-26-1101501078.gif

Gainax has released the cover art for the new PS2 game coming out in January of 2005. Unfortunately it is rather small and I have been unable to find a larger image. The game will be a 3D action based platform, and will include a B2 size poster if you are one of the first to purchase it. I don't know if this (the poster) is through Gainax's web store or not, but if it is, forget about getting it. There is supposed to be some new Mikimoto art included also. The image is below.

Well sometimes NCSX gets direct order stuff that you normally are only able to get through the main store. (they did that for Sakura Taisen V Episode Zero, thats how I have all the Sega Direct Pre-order goodies). Anyways have I mentioned that I'm getting this game yet?

Anyways they may call it a "3D action platformer" but I think it is more a Dramatic Action Game or maybe a Dramatic Adventure game... oh wait those are copywrites of Sega. :D

From the trailer though i think it is fair to compare it to Sakura Taisen... cause it has the same "anime TV series where you control the main character and this effects the battle at the end of the episode" kinda set up.

Edit:

Well the NCSX picture is actually a litte bigger then yours... just a little.

http://hh141.hiphip.com/templates/frmTempl...&subFolderID=97

You can pre-order it there! YAYYYS

Edited by lord_breetai

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I told you the bootlegs would start to show up before long. Here's a listing on eBay for the first episode: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

And speaking of eBay, this guy has quite a boatload of Gunbuster model kits.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks as if the One Coin figures from Kotobukiya are shipping today. However, because of the New Year holiday, shipping may be postponed until the 4th of January when everyone goes back to work in Japan, or sooner hopefully. You can read the updated info on the collectors figures at this URL: http://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/kotobukiya/kotobukiyaindex.html. Mind you it is in Japanese. It looks as if the figures are going to be released in a set of six instead of the twelve as originally stated. They'll be about 3 inches or so high. The first run special figure is included with the set and it is rumored to be a special type Gunbuster figure or something. If you missed your chance to preorder one of these sets, they are already starting to show up on eBay. I don't know if they are legit or not because the two vendors I've seen selling them are from Hong Kong. May be bootlegs. As soon as I get mine, I will take some pictures to show everyone.

Turns out there's two 'secret' figures in this set

The first is an Amano Kazumi version of the RX-7, complete with the correct head unit (the regular one is Noriko's "Nausicaa" type RX-7)

And the other is Cyzlar White (the regular version is Cyzlar black. Same head unit in this one)

I've got a case on order from HLJ. Can't wait to see what all I get :D

Just put in my order to CD Japan tonight for the re-mastered set (had to wait till the holidays got over to do it). To those who have it already, what's this I hear about the last episode being colorized?

Mistranslation on someone's part. It's not colorized, but an un-cropped version of the episode (the animation was cropped to give it an epic widescreen appearance). The original version is included mind you, but there's also an extra uncropped version included as well.

Just put in my order to CD Japan tonight for the re-mastered set (had to wait till the holidays got over to do it).  To those who have it already, what's this I hear about the last episode being colorized?

Mistranslation on someone's part. It's not colorized, but an un-cropped version of the episode (the animation was cropped to give it an epic widescreen appearance). The original version is included mind you, but there's also an extra uncropped version included as well.

Okay. This makes a lot more sense than colorizing. Thanks.

Turns out there are three secret figures out there from the look of things. This guy in Hong Kong is selling open sets with each secret figure. In addition to the secret Kazumi RX-7 it turns out that the normal black Sizzler figure has an alternate also. Images are below.

2b.jpg

3b.jpg

4b.jpg