The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

Episode 1 was shown by pay-per-view prior to its DVD release. It's not an extremely uncommon practice, actually. Yukikaze has also been doing it. Though usually about 2 weeks before the DVD release, not 2 months like they did with Top 2...

I presume they do it to try and get the otaku over there to pay for the same thing twice. They'll pay $5 or $10 or whatever to see it over PPV, then buy the DVD for $50 a couple weeks later to get a better quality copy, with none of the scrolling advertisements that the PPV version has.

Has anyone seen the Gunbuster Perfect Guide?  What's on it?  Is it worth $50.00?

Mostly interviews with the staff and cast, sans Mikimoto.

Possibly lots of Hideaki Anno going on about how he's so great.

Probably not worth it then. Thanks.

I got the DVD yesterday and yes, the DVD just contains interviews with Hideaki, the three main voice seiyu, producer, etc.. The coolest thing is the book that comes with it. It has tons of Gunbuster art in it! lots of sketches and pics from the OVA. It is a Perfect Guide! Gunbuster fans should get this. The problem is the price, it's too much for a book the size of a DVD case. If it was the same size of the regular japanese art books, I would have been super happy with it. I'll get some pics up when I get home tonight

I got the DVD yesterday and yes, the DVD just contains interviews with Hideaki, the three main voice seiyu, producer, etc.. The coolest thing is the book that comes with it. It has tons of Gunbuster art in it! lots of sketches and pics from the OVA. It is a Perfect Guide! Gunbuster fans should get this. The problem is the price, it's too much for a book the size of a DVD case. If it was the same size of the regular japanese art books, I would have been super happy with it. I'll get some pics up when I get home tonight

Well, you beat me to the punch then. I haven't got mine because I've got my order on hold until the one coin figures I ordered come in. This is also including my remastered DVD's. The end of November is a long way off...

Right now, I'm waiting for my co-worker to download the episode so I can review it. If it's as bad as everyone here says, I'm gonna put a jihad on the production team.

If you find it as bad as we do, I hope you add it to your list of anime you hate. I love it when you use that picture of Nadia looking all pissed off when she watches something that stinks. I love this image... :D

nadiacover.jpg

Edited by Noriko Takaya

If you find it as bad as we do, I hope you add it to your list of anime you hate. I love it when you use that picture of Nadia looking all pissed off when she watches something that stinks. I love this image... :D

I'll do one better. I'll put in a pissed-off Jung-Freud on the cover.

Nice pictures. I'm glad I ordered that set. I just wish I hadn't told CD Japan to wait until the rest of my order comes in. Besides the new images which were part of the original Japanese DVD release, are there any other new ones? Most of those you showed us were in Complete Gunbuster. I may have to buy another one of these DVD's as a used copy just to cut up the book to scan those images.

And Mercurial, I may come off as sounding rather harsh about the new series, but it has got a lot to live up to. Gainax has got to have something pretty major up their sleeves for it to compare to the original, but then again, I am old school, and so is a lot of the anime I like. Who knows, it may just turn out okay, but from the first episode's preview, all I can say so far is "Bleh!"

Nice pictures. I'm glad I ordered that set. I just wish I hadn't told CD Japan to wait until the rest of my order comes in. Besides the new images which were part of the original Japanese DVD release, are there any other new ones? Most of those you showed us were in Complete Gunbuster. I may have to buy another one of these DVD's as a used copy just to cut up the book to scan those images.

And Mercurial, I may come off as sounding rather harsh about the new series, but it has got a lot to live up to. Gainax has got to have something pretty major up their sleeves for it to compare to the original, but then again, I am old school, and so is a lot of the anime I like. Who knows, it may just turn out okay, but from the first episode's preview, all I can say so far is "Bleh!"

Noriko the preview and the episode... the episode is weird but I'd say it is a far cry different from the actual episode itself... The preview looked blah, but I did enjoy the episode it just wasn't Gunbuster enough for me.

God, I can't stand Mikimoto's newer style! Everyone looks all disproportionate in their faces! I mean, look at Kashiwara, her head is shaped like a block of wood, and her forehead really exaggerated. That has to also be the worst representation of Kazumi I've ever seen. I don't know exactly when he started with his new style, but man I miss his original cleaner drawings. Sure, some artists evolve as time passes (like Sadamoto), but this almost looks like de-evolution.

Resize_of_Resize_of_IMG_0581.JPG

I agree wholeheartedly. Gunbuster is my all time favorite out of the hundreds of titles I've seen. I too love oldschool anime. So don't think me some guy who only likes Gonzo shows, and doesn't give a damn. I do. It does have a lot to live up to. That said, because of how Gunbuster became and is my favorite, I know that this sequel will be just another show. My point is, when it's so obvious that no one wanted a sequel, nor will they ever see it as an equel, is there any point to bitching about it constently. Now whenever we bring up Gunbuster, do we also have to throw in"Aim for the Top 2 sucks" and "Shame on Gainax". Like the Star Wars prequels, I'll just sit back and judge this with the rest of anime, and stop expecting it to be the greatest ever. It's just another show, it doesn't reflect the original in any way. It's not going to hurt it, only bring it into the limelight. Maybe now people might know what I'm talking about when I tell them what my favorite is. There's five more episodes, there's bound to be something you'll like.

God, I can't stand Mikimoto's newer style! Everyone looks all disproportionate in their faces! I mean, look at Kashiwara, her head is shaped like a block of wood, and her forehead really exaggerated. That has to also be the worst representation of Kazumi I've ever seen. I don't know exactly when he started with his new style, but man I miss his original cleaner drawings. Sure, some artists evolve as time passes (like Sadamoto), but this almost looks like de-evolution.

Resize_of_Resize_of_IMG_0581.JPG

Yeah, some of it looks funky all right. Mikimoto seems to have different versions of his characters. You should see the 'other' Coach Ota. By the way, here's a brighter look at that image.

okaerinasai-laserdisc-front.gif

okaerinasai-laserdisc-back.gif

On another thought, they should really come out with a Soul of Chogokin Gunbuster if they haven't already. Since they already have an EVA one, they ought to show love for the other Gainax super robot! God, I'm drooling just thinking of the potential of such a toy.